• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late to the hate party: God of War

Bebpo said:
Well I guess it's like C- Warrior is saying where the pacing just feels uneven. You have these fast fast action sections and then suddenly you're tip-toeing over some planks. It's just not a smooth ride.

And really it's that example that's consistant throughout the entire game as to why I really didn't think -too much- of God of War. But again, I played it front to end, certainly had some areas that I enjoyed, I just don't consider it GOTY or anything.

Bebpo

Banned
Matlock said:
Rolling was an essential part of the combo system.

Yeah, I used rolls a lot. But then again I didn't block much. I'm more of an evade type guy and I liked how you could roll into a combo with roll->x. Only thing I didn't like was that some enemy moves had insane tracking and you were forced to block as they'd track your rolls.

Matlock said:
Rolling was an essential part of the combo system.

No it wasn't IMO. A combo system isn't restricted on how many whiz-bang-ninja cool moves your main character can do. A combo system is not good because you can mash the Square button and do 12 hit combo's. That's just FLASH. A good combo system is dependent on the enemies and bosses to use them against. That said, I personally feel -even- Castlevania Symphony of the Night has a better combo "system" key word here is system than God of War. I do think they did a great job with Kratos and his mechanics (it being free-form and all) but they really dropped the ball on the mindless one attack per enemy set up.

And most importantly, it definantly wasn't essential. That is to say, not one situation in God of War REQUIRED you to perform a roll combo. Given, I'm not going to sit here and say NG or DMC requires you to do every move to win, but due to NG's A.I and DMC's built in 'style = reward' system, the incentives for performing and mixing up moves is, in a sense required.

Matlock

Banned
:lol

Rolling to link combos is the basest strategy in the game, yet you're saying it's not necessary? Wow, way to go.

Bebpo

Banned
Both of you are right:

--Rolling is essential for linking big combos

--But is there any gameplay reason to link big combos besides just for your own satisfaction?

Matlock

Banned
kenta said:
Alright this thread is the last straw, demi is on now my ignore list

What an annoying faggot

where you're going, you won't need an ignore list

Bebpo said:
Both of you are right:

--But is there any gameplay reason to link big combos besides just for your own satisfaction?

Nope. The simple, pavolovian design is what makes GoW so great. :)

demi

kenta said:
Alright this thread is the last straw, demi is on now my ignore list

What an annoying faggot

Come closer now
I know your desire is to be desired
Steal a kiss and, and call us friends
Distance is a thief in which you conspire

Turn and time and time will tell
Time will tell or tear us apart
You're miles and miles and miles away
Silence reveals where we really are

It's clearer now
You're nowhere into giving
Giving into, giving into me
It's your fault
You're like a rare disease
I know you're in love
With love I believe

Do you expect me to wait here?
(All alone in my thoughts and fears)
My whole life could flash before your eyes
(Hope one day that you realize)
This isn't the way it's supposed to be
(This is who I crown, now without me)
Your regrets from us built up inside
(Great space for you, love buried alive)
Buried alive

I only stayed to break your heart
You can tell it by the way I walk away,
Run away girl
I only stayed to break your heart
You can tell it by the way I run away,
Run away girl

I loved this game.

Easily in my top 3 games of the year. Fresh, original, challenging, and occasionally frustrating without being too overbearing.

Aside from the 'sudden' final boss encounter (seemed rushed to me), I thought this game was otherwise excellent.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Matlock said:

where you're going, you won't need an ignore list
What's that supposed to mean? demi's totally entitled to his opinion of the game but he's just repeatedly trolling this thread to stir up drama and call out the fanboys like he does in every other thread.

I thought God of War was great, it had a tremendous amount of positives and very few negatives (and the negatives were very minor I thought). I think it deserves every last award it won, it was a total blast to play.

Amir0x

Banned
Mejilan said:
Quite possibly the most overrated games of 2005, one of the few games I honestly regret having purchased for full price.

Or actually, having purchased at all. Anyone wanna buy my copy?

Ok, dude, you like Geist. I don't care how exceedingly average you thought this game was, this discrepancy can never, ever be qualified.

xaosslug

In all reality, I think a lot of the hate for this game stems from it being a genuinely good 1st party Sony. Eat it, haterz! ;p

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
xaosslug said:
In all reality, I think a lot of the love for this game stems from it being a genuinely overrated 1st party Sony game. Eat it, loverz! ;p

:lol:

We are still friends right ?

xaosslug said:
In all reality, I think a lot of the hate for this game stems from it being a genuinely good 1st party Sony. Eat it, haterz! ;p

Bebpo's a Sony fan, so if that's true (and given that there are still people who won't look at Sony as a game company, it probably is), it wouldn't apply to him.

Raytow

Wollan said:
For people to actually hate(not dislike) any game there has to be some serious bias issues.
Fixed, unless of course said game kicked your ass repeatdly *cough* Shinobi *cough*

Bebpo said:
Both of you are right:

Yes you are rewarded with more rage points to collect. The combo is a base multiplier.

Midas

I still haven't finished this game. I get my ass kicked everytime I meet
myself x 1000
. Any suggestions?

God of War is a solid, not spectacular game. Good for a playthrough, but not much more.

Definitely not GOTY year material... especially not with SOTC and DMC3 on the same system.

llTll

Banned
man wth is wrong with you. GOW is amazing.

$%#$%# what on earth you are talking about? its so badass i wanted to shave my head like him :lol

AniHawk

I regret spending my free time on this game.

And I spend my free time on the most worthless things ever.

The spiky spinny pillar things made me break my controller, PS2, game disc, TV, and soul.

AniHawk

My Arms Your Hearse said:
The rotating spike pillars are not that difficult.

They are the most frustrating game elements I've experienced since Jak II. And that's saying something, because I've played Phantom Brave in that time.

I thought the game was an incredible experience. Great combination of gameplay, music, presentation. I played it on Normal, didn't think it was too hard, bosses were fun. The Hades part really isn't that hard IMO, just takes patience. To me it was just standard platform stuff. I don't know, different strokes for different folks I guess, but I'm surprised so many people on GAF dislike this game.

J-Roc

Wow...I dont understand the hate for this game at all. One of my fav games of this gen, I actually rate it better then Resident Evil 4. God mode was a bitch though, pleased to have survived it :)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I thought it was a really enjoyable game with pleasingly high production values, but also very annoying at places. It was also quite easy (in battles) since the chests with life/magic power were just about everywhere (at least on normal difficulty).

Bebpo said:
MAYBE MY GAME IS BROKEN.

Honestly, I don't know how to explain it other than when he fell and was supposed to grab he hits some other object (like the connecting plank on an intersection and bounces off it instead of grabbing the ledge.) IT HAPPENED A LOT >_<

No, your game is not broken. It happened to me as well, quite a lot of times. For some reason Kratos just never grabbed the plank when falling.

With that said, the plankwalking wasn't very hard though. Hell, I stopped walking at times and just jumped my way past the planks...but I agree about the camera being a bitch if you went for some of the secret chests down in the Hades level for example.

AniHawk said:
They are the most frustrating game elements I've experienced since Jak II. And that's saying something, because I've played Phantom Brave in that time.

Yes, it was terribly frustrating for me as well. Not only the fact that one mistake brought you all the way down to the bottom, but also because the hit detection seemed kind of messed up. Even though I wasn't really touching one of the blades, I still fell a number of times. Eventually I ended up adjusting to the hit detection (as in trying to not even be CLOSE to the blades).

NME

I'm also on the side that didn't have any problem with Kratos grabbing planks after falling. As far as I can recall, the only time he wouldn't grab the planks was if I jumped off the plank (but it's been a while since I've played).

I can't really recall any issues with the camera off the top of my head. I felt the camera in Ninja Gaiden (not Black) had more issues than God of War. I suppose this is more of a subjective issue, though.

The presentation is fantastic and even though it can get repetitive, I enjoyed the action. It's a really good game as far as I'm concerned. But I haven't played DMC3 yet (also waited for the Special Edition), so I suppose I could look back on GOW after playing DMC3 and find more flaws in it. In any case, I enjoyed the game.

Vlad

Personally, I thought the game was pretty much average. It had some really neat parts, but some pretty glaring downfalls.

As others have said, the enemies have way too much life. Sure, it makes sense for the larger enemies to be pretty tough to kill, but it just seemed to be a bit too much overall after a while. I think a big problem is that the enemies never really seem to react to getting hit, at least by the Blades of Chaos, so you don't quite feel like you're doing anything. I can be doing 50-hit combos on a group of enemies, but they're just going about their business, even though they're taking damage. Some different animations for them getting knocked around would have at least made it feel like you were chipping away at them.

Count me in among the people who had the problem of Kratos never grabbing onto ledges, either. This was a massive headache in the
fight against the mob of Kratos
, as I'd often roll to get away from being surrounded, but instead of grabbing onto the ledge, just go sailing off. I had the same problem in the plank sections, but I noticed that the slower you took it, the more likely you were to catch yourself.

I had a heck of a lot more issue with the rope-hanging and wall-climbing sections, though. I absolutely hated having to navigate any large wall-climbing area, simply because it was so damn tedious. There really wasn't any challenge. and there were just too many of those types of areas. The rope-hanging sections were almost the opposite, where you'd be getting pretty mobbed (the part where you got one of the shields in Pandora's temple springs to mind) but only had the super-short-range kick or the super-slow blade swing to try and fight your way through. Either way, you'd usually end up taking hits in the back that seemed to be unavoidable.

As far as the infamous blade pillars of Hades go, there is absolutely no way that that section could not be considered cheap. If there were no sections where you could end up completely screwed and unable to get away, then that'd be one thing, but since the camera is so far pulled in, you can't try and figure out the pattern of the blades above you to know when to start climbing. Quite often I'd head through an opening in the two rows above me, then immediately come across a part where I'd get blocked in. When I tried to climb back down to avoid a fall, I'd get hit anyway. The bad collision detection didn't help much either.

midas said:
I still haven't finished this game. I get my ass kicked everytime I meet
myself x 1000
. Any suggestions?

I had everything upgraded fully except the Medusa power at this point, which definitely helped a little bit. I pretty much relied on spamming magic once I ended up on the small island. I'd alternate between the Hades and Posiedon powers, which both would wipe out a large number of them pretty quickly. Whenever I built up the Rage of the Gods power, I'd still focus on spamming the magic (since you get unlimited magic use while RotG is active and you've got the BoC upgraded to the max)

Solid

:lol Good thread.

And the reason God of War gets so many GOTY awards is because everyone can play it, not just dorks like C- Warrior who hate the game if it doesnt force him to replay the same area 10 times. You think the game is easy? Well bu fuckung huh, play on Hard then! Problem solved!

David Jaffe if you read this, follow your heart. Dont listen to the dorks here. They play the game for 5 min then they run to their computer to post about it at GAF.

Solid said:

And the reason God of War gets so many GOTY awards is because everyone can play it, not just dorks like C- Warrior who hate the game if it doesnt force him to replay the same area 10 times. You think the game is easy? Well bu fuckung huh, play on Hard then! Problem solved!

David Jaffe if you read this, follow your heart. Dont listen to the dorks here. They play the game for 5 min then they run to their computer to post about it at GAF.

I agree. GoW = Single player GOTY 2005

GAF doesnt play games, they just read other peoples impressions and critique those

that being said, i thought GOW was badass and i loved every minute of it

IJoel

Heh... I doubt most "haters" think GoW is a bad game by any means. It's just overrated in their eyes. I thought it was a pretty good game, just not all that.

But then, as with all things, it's either black or white in Gafland. :p

Bebpo

Banned
Himuro said:
what the fuck, the platforming in ninja gaiden sucks

Yeah, umm if that was sarcasm then wtf, DMC and Ninja Gaiden have horrible platforming as well. But at least their platforming is like 1% of the entire game and not 1/3rd of it like GoW.

Action games should focus on action, platformers on platforming. It's the way of the world. I mean people sure loooved the combat in Ico and PoP: SoT @_@

Beowvlf

Banned
Bebpo said:
-Boo for having the most frustrating, terrible platforming this generation due to a bad camera.
Overexaggeration to the nth degree. The most platform intensive area,
climbing out of the underworld
, was an absolute cinch thanks to some wonderfully polished angles and superbly designed layouts. The only time I had anything close to even remotely resembling difficultly due to the camera was just before
obtaining Pandora's Box, you had to jump into the screen to get back to a switch to open a door
. And even then I only died 3 times, with a checkpoint right at that spot.

Bebpo said:
-The walking itself wasn't 'that' bad (it sure wasn't good) but there was seriously waaaay too much plank walking in the damn game. wtf.
Again with the overexaggeration, which honestly you seem to do quite a bit in your impressions. Outside of the lengthy sections in
the underworld and just before Hades Challenge
, I can remember about 3-4 other sections, all maybe three planks long...

Bebpo said:
-Most screen tearing I've ever seen in a game. Seemed much worse in 480p so I stuck to 480i. It's kinda wierd because you expect screen tearing in games where the users have the camera and sometimes they point at too many objects and the game tears rather than dropping framerate. Yet since all the camera angles are locked and the developers knew exactly what would be on-screen there really shouldn't have been tearing like every 30 seconds.
Legitimate complaint, yet when you consider this game is pushing some of the best visuals on the PS2, slight tearing is much preferable to any framerate drops. I felt the same way about Jak II, which suffered the exact same problem.

Bebpo said:
-no lock-on. This really kept the battle system from ever feeling tightly knitted and deep allowing intense one on one battles. Instead the battle system feels more like crowd-control aka. Dynasty Warriors where you do non-precise large scale rolling and wide attacks to take out multiple enemies.
Considering I've had no problems in any one-on-one fight through my two playthroughs, I question whether a lock-on is even necessary. Not to mention that the transition in GoW between fighting multiple enemies and just one or two is miles ahead of either DMC3 or Ninja Gaiden.

Bebpo said:
-Kratos was a pretty terrible lead character. I like his design, but actual personality was basic non-existant and he just screamed of generic rage. It's possible to have anti-heros that the audience still likes and enjoys watching, but that's not Kratos. He just comes off as an ass that you'd like to see get killed.
I agree that Kratos isn't that great, but he's far from terrible. He's corrupt to a far more legitimate level than most 'anti-heroes', and I find that the difficulty in connecting with him extremely unique. He's despicable, remorseless and undeserving of any redemption, yet he was once a simple soldier who eventually lost himself to the lure of absolute power among men. It's even questionable whether Ares manipulated him or not, and the narrative concludes that he is destined to repent and suffer due to his lust for survival above all else.

Bebpo said:
-Everything has too much life in the game. Instead of going with tough enemies that have good AI, GoW goes with simple stupid AI that has tons of life and takes a crapload of hits to die.
'Simple stupid' is not how I'd describe the minions with staves or the mini-minotaur enemies. And personally I find fighting 10 reasonable tough enemies far more enjoyable than either 5 brutally hard or 20 paper-thin easy.

Bebpo said:
-In addition rooms full of respawning enemies that all have tons of AI artificially lengthen the game and share the same problem of boredom that the Prince of Persia 3d battles have. Make it hard! Don't just make it long.
There is not a single case of respawning enemies in the entire game. Guaranteed. There are a few instances of enemies popping up again in an already cleared room, however that is only after completing something specific, and the enemies are different in both type and config every single time.

C-Warrior said:
-First, Kratos is a little pussy bitch. He was about to die fair and square, but at the last minute sucked Ares cock and was given super powers. He didn't earn much of anything.

-He then, kills his family. With his own hands, in clear site. AND THEN HAS THE NERVE to blame Ares...the hell did he do? Kratos was the one that killed em'--he was tricked my ass.
Umm, exactly... I'd argue that Jaffe doesn't intentionally attempt to create empathy among the gamer. Kratos isn't a guy to be liked, yet we play as him. And Kratos went after Ares because he exchanged his life for unending servitude to him, but not at the expense of his family.

Ares intentionally allowed Kratos to slowly become more and more corrupt, before purposefully sending him to that village. It was orchestrated, there can be no argument otherwise. However, Kratos desired the regret and haunting memories of his life serving Ares to be erased at the end game, yet was denied due precisely to the reasons you gave.

C-Warrior said:
-The camera system for the action isn't that great either. It's like ant versus ant. It might not have as many 'off-screen' attacks as DMC3 or Ninja Gaiden persay, but at least in those games the camera is nice and close, allowing you to perform some kickass chains and witness the action head on.
I had no problem seeing everything I did. And what kind of ridiculous world are you in that a zoomed out camera is worse than off screen attacks?!

C-Warrior said:
-Genre breakers. Genre breakers, and more genre breakers. You go through a button mash fest of enemies and blood's all flying over the place, and then we have a push crate puzzle....a fuckin, 'push the crate' puzzle. Then we have some more Shenmue mini-game moments, and then we have a "find handle use handle" puzzle...
I enjoyed all the puzzles, because they were simple and relatively quick diversions. They provided a nice breather from the action, as did the QTE's, which were one of the best implementations of an MK style fatality in an action game I've yet seen.

Solid said:

Damn fucking straight.

GoW is easily one of the best games this gen, and clears past every game this year save SotC. It is a marvel of design, excitement and accessibility, and absolutely shits in the face of competing action games like DMC3 and Ninja Gaiden.

Mashing

This game owned... definately one of my favorites of 2005.. and your negatives you posted are nonexistant issues. I mean I never once had trouble with the camera (and I'm one of those that likes to explore every nook and cranny of a map). The traps were well designed and the atomsphere is near flawless. I await the sequel with bated breath.

Top Bottom