• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late to the hate party: God of War

Bebpo

Banned
inpHilltr8r said:
Now there's a recipe for stagnation, tedium, and the ultimate death of the industry.

And the opposite is:

FPS games dragged down by weak stealth sections
Puzzle/platform/adventure games dragged down by weak action sections
Action games dragged down by weak platform sections
Flying games dragged down by weak on-foot sections
Action games dragged down by weak vehicle sections

Need I go on? 90% of games that throw in a bit of a 2nd genre to keep things interesting end up doing a poor job at it and everyone wishes they had just stuck to what they were doing. When genre do meld, it's something that happens in mass such as the combining of the rpg and action category into action rpgs. There are exceptions here and there where extremely talented teams get it just right, but most of the time it just brings down the majority opinion of the title.

DustinC

I agree with everything Heian-Kyo said.

If you're complaining that the camera caused you to die, well, I hate to tell you this, but its really because you suck at life.

Bebpo

Banned
Heian-kyo said:
blah blah blah I love GoW, DMC3 sucks as does Ninja Gaiden only Hades has any platforming blah blah blah

Eh, I'll just say I disagree with you. But I'd like to point out that besides the 2nd blade tower thing I had no problems nor dislike of Hades. In fact, that was one of the most fun parts about the game. All the problems I encountered with the camera, the plankwalking, the repetitive nature of the battles were from pre-Hades areas. Hell, I thought the pre-Athens boat scenario was already weak with block pushing, backtracking, plank walking, bosses that have too much HP, bad camera angles. I should've taken that as a warning that the rest of the game would follow suite.

And to note, like I said earlier in the thread. I like the damn game and think it's got a pretty enjoyable action engine along with gorgeous scenery and some fun puzzles ^^; Honestly, I'm probably being a lot harsher on its problems because instead of playing the title when it came out I played it after it won all these awards so I had high expecatations of something around RE4/MGS3/DMC3/NG level and it's just not in the same league. That doesn't make it a bad game, but it's not something I'll remember having played in 2 months.

Bebpo

Banned
inpHilltr8r said:
:lol :lol :lol

I wasn't talking about GoW there if you hadn't noticed, but it doesn't seem like you're listening anyways. I was talking about the majority of titles that mix genre.

God of War gets perhaps too much hate around here. The major complaint I had with it was it seemed like some fantastic environmental puzzles/platforming broken up by some tedious combat. There were not enough bosses to satisfy anyone (unless you are a Sony marketer, which Heian Kyo sounds like more and more). But to say it isn't a good game is quite frankly ridiculous, even if you you compare it to DMC3 or Ninja Gaiden.

Beowvlf

Banned
Bebpo said:
...so I had high expecatations of something around RE4/MGS3/DMC3/NG level and it's just not in the same league.
I never once said either DMC3 or Ninja Gaiden 'sucked', I just believe GoW to be a superior game. Why twist my words and imply that I did?

But nevertheless, we'll just agree to disagree.

Beowvlf

Banned
Billy Rygar said:
(unless you are a Sony marketer, which Heian Kyo sounds like more and more).
Oh for fuck's sake... It's a great game, and would've been a great game on any system. Like Metroid Prime. Or KOTOR. Or Goldeneye. Or Meteos.

Do some of you have nothing better to do?

Bebpo said:
I wasn't talking about GoW there if you hadn't noticed, but it doesn't seem like you're listening anyways. I was talking about the majority of titles that mix genre.
Well since the majority of titles suck anyway, cross pollination of genres has no predictable effect on overall quality. So your point is moot, as well as poorly communicated. :D

...but hey, whatever floats your boat.

[post Matlock edit] Oh you went there!

Bebpo said:
Honestly, I'm probably being a lot harsher on its problems because instead of playing the title when it came out I played it after it won all these awards so I had high expecatations of something around RE4/MGS3/DMC3/NG level and it's just not in the same league.
Just as you're bitching about certain parts of GOW, many others can bitch about RE4/MGS3/DMC3/NG problems. No game is the next coming of christ and it's silly that you held such unreachable expectations for this game. GOW is most definitely deserving of all the critical acclaim and should stand up proudly next to the games you've mentioned. Funny thing is with the exception of NG, all of the other games you're comparing GOW to have had multiple opportunities to reach greatness while GOW did it on it's first time out. I'd say that's quite the accomplishment for an original IP and that the dev team responsible should be credited as a very talented crew.

Good point Mr. Furious. this is why I don't have any problem with GOW winning any GOTY awards (fucking acronyms...) even if I wouldn't have picked it. If they brush up the combat in the upcoming iterations of the franchise it will just get better and better (though I would rather the team work on something else original).

Top Bottom