• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late to the party: Warcraft III

DCX

DCX
I must say I'm impressed!! I never have actually played strategy games like Command and Conquer, Starcraft and of course Warcraft because i never thought i could get into the gameplay style but I'm in love...maybe it's the story or something but the game is very addicting!! I'm loving it.

DCX

I just started playing this myself to see if it compelled me enough to get into World of WarCraft. I've made it to Undead Campaign, Mission 4. The story is OK, not nearly as good as StarCraft IMHO (please Blizzard make World of StarCraft!).

Is it just me or did the voice acting go to shit in WC3? I recognize some of the voice actors, most are doing a much worse job than they did in SC.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Online play >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Offline play

AeroGod

I played online religiously for the first couple of months it was out, then I let it go for awhile then picked it back up and played 20 games a day when TFT came out. I havnt touched it in a few months though, moved onto some other things. Great game, probably my favorite RTS of all time.

DCX

DCX
Will they make a new StarCraft? I haven't played Diablo yet, but i will...soon. I never play these types of games so I'm expanding my horizons...never played Baldur's Gate until Dark Alliance for PS2! So I'm missing out alot i know.

DCX

Kefkaff

Banned
Anube said:
anyone up for a game? i usually play 3v3 random team games, but i'm up for a 1v1 anytime.

Name/Server?

Pongmo/Azeroth.

I haven't played with anyone here for awhile :(

geogaddi

Banned
After having played just about every damn Blizzard game....

Starcraft >>> Warcraft 3

The fact that WC3 has heros helped it be a formidable candidate against SC, but SC is still, to this day my favorite PC strategy game—ever.

geogaddi said:
After having played just about every damn Blizzard game....

Starcraft >>> Warcraft 3

The fact that WC3 has heros helped it be a formidable candidate against SC, but SC is still, to this day my favorite PC strategy game—ever.

IAWTP. And technically, Raynor/Tassadar were hero units (more HP than normal units of those types). Although they didn't have new abilities nor did they gain experience....regardless, StarCraft >>>>>>>>>>>>>WarCraft 3. I never quite understood the fanbase behind WC, other than that it was around longer than SC. But for me, after SC was released, I never needed another RTS again.

Yea, lets all play some TFT....who is up for it?

kefkaff, up for some 2v2? i got a stupid strat we can do...

Oh, and the reason i like TFT so much is BECAUSE of the heros...

if the game didnt have heros that gained experience/abilities....i wouldnt be playing this game because...well, i dont like strategy games.

peace

Gattsu25

Banned
DCX said:
Will they make a new StarCraft? I haven't played Diablo yet, but i will...soon. I never play these types of games so I'm expanding my horizons...never played Baldur's Gate until Dark Alliance for PS2! So I'm missing out alot i know.

DCX

different types of games

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance = Diablo 1 Lite
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic = Baldur's Gate (PC Series) Lite

I never got into WCIII a lot cause it just seemed like some korean infested rush your hero to places level up rush with randomly mixed company till victory. Other RTS games just seem to have more field tactics.

teepo

MrAngryFace said:
I never got into WCIII a lot cause it just seemed like some korean infested rush your hero to places level up rush with randomly mixed company till victory. Other RTS games just seem to have more field tactics.

what game have you been playing?

If you dont like Diablo II you are a terrorist.

Teepo: Everyone Warfan says that when I say what I experienced, but whatever. Ill stick to actual field tactics.

teepo

you can't just keep rushing with random field units... fuck... if you loose 1/3rd of your units in ONE battle your as good as fucked.

DCX

DCX
Yeah i got owned pretty bad today while i played...my foot soilders got raped by these soul tower things...i had to divide and conquer :) I kinda felt like a coach out there. :p

DCX

teepo said:
you can't just keep rushing with random field units... fuck... if you loose 1/3rd of your units in ONE battle your as good as fucked.

Um wasn't the whole upkeep system designed to keep you actively producing more small squads (not huge 50 Zerg armies or 30 Protoss Carrier/Human BattleCruiser fleets) and having you sacrifice them on a regular basis to avoid upkeep costs to your economy?

teepo

never make foot soilder... ever... unless your creeping, then use no more then 6-8.

thankfully they'll be majorly upgraded next patch.

teepo

depends on what race your playing but you always want to go priest/riflemen if you ask me with a mix of some other units.

DCX

DCX
I'm not that far into the game to make priest, i can make rifflemen...i'll try that, i almost died the last mission.

DCX

teepo

DJ Demon J said:
Um wasn't the whole upkeep system designed to keep you actively producing more small squads and having you sacrifice them on a regular basis to avoid upkeep costs to your economy?

i think it was but upkeep means shit once you reach tier3.

teepo

DCX said:
I'm not that far into the game to make priest, i can make rifflemen...i'll try that, i almost died the last mission.

DCX

oh fuck... i played the singleplayer 2 years ago. don't remeber much. just ignore me.

Dammit, every time we try to get a GA WC3 gaming session together, it never seems to work out. Anyone up for some team games, FFAs, or good ol' custom games? I'm a huge fan of the game and have been playing it almost non-stop since the release of TFT. My B.net account is Gen.Wedge, and I almost always play on West, though I do visit East for DOTA games (channel Clan TDA).

DrLazy

I've been playing TFT single player game on Hard, and it truly is hard. Damn. I'm now on the first undead mission and I can't beat it.

I'll agree that Starcraft story with Kerrigan is way better than Warcraft. Who even knows whats going on with so many Demons/Clans all over the place. There's no hero to vote for, no good guys. In starcraft there is a very clear bad guy-- the zerg. Plus they basically recycled the kerrigan plot with the Prince in WC3.

I was really into WC3's battlenet, but it got to a point where there wasn't much strategy left. What I mean is, once you get to level 7 or so, it's all about who has the best build order, and becomes a game of memorization instead of strategy.

Anube

oops, i forgot to mention that i play TFT and not the regular WC3.

using footmen early for humans is good, just make sure that you research the defend ability for them. also, make sure you tech to tier 3 so that way you can get knights instead of footies later on. damn i hate trying to explain how to play this game, some one challenge me already.

Anube

Dammit, every time we try to get a GA WC3 gaming session together, it never seems to work out. Anyone up for some team games, FFAs, or good ol' custom games? I'm a huge fan of the game and have been playing it almost non-stop since the release of TFT. My B.net account is Gen.Wedge, and I almost always play on West, though I do visit East for DOTA games (channel Clan TDA).

i will look for you sometime. i chill in the Human Castle channel. my nick is: RyudHayabusa

DrLazy said:
I've been playing TFT single player game on Hard, and it truly is hard. Damn. I'm now on the first undead mission and I can't beat it.

I'll agree that Starcraft story with Kerrigan is way better than Warcraft. Who even knows whats going on with so many Demons/Clans all over the place. There's no hero to vote for, no good guys. In starcraft there is a very clear bad guy-- the zerg. Plus they basically recycled the kerrigan plot with the Prince in WC3.

I was really into WC3's battlenet, but it got to a point where there wasn't much strategy left. What I mean is, once you get to level 7 or so, it's all about who has the best build order, and becomes a game of memorization instead of strategy.
How are the Zerg the clear bad guys? Have you played Brood War? There's the UED, the colonial Terrans under Arcturus Mensk, the traditional (and all-but obliterated) elitist high Protoss, and the renegade Zerg swarm. It adds a lot of depth to the story and keeps it from being stereotypical good vs. bad.

And micromanagement is a HUGE part of WC3. I don't see how you can just memorize something and go and win. Sure, you need to learn what tactics and units counter what, and what heroes to use in specific matchups, but if you can't control your units and be able to make split-second decision such as when to pull out from a battle, you'll never get anywhere.

Anube said:
i will look for you sometime. i chill in the Human Castle channel. my nick is: RyudHayabusa
While I don't play much solo (much more of a team/FFA kind of player), if we can't get something organized I'd defintiely be down for a match. Just have to pry myself from Diabo II first. :p

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I LOVED these games in Single player. The quasi-twitch 'action' approach to nuking/buffing/healing stuff in combat gave it a nice identity versus the slog of other RTS standby's on the market. (Battlecry notwithstanding I guess, but I never played those). The missions threw enough variables and 'discoveries' into them to keep freshness packed inside particularily TFT.

I don't DO multiplayer or Skirmish though. Don't care for them. But congrats to Blizzard for making an RTS with a campaign I actually cared to finish since well...Red Alert 1 and Starcraft? Awesome!

Kefkaff

Banned
MrAngryFace said:
Play Kohan Ahriman's Gift and learn what REAL field tactics are ;P

Uh.. unless you just send your units into battle and don't do anything else WC has a lot more field tactics, and Micro.

In Kohan II, there is no micro whatsoever, you just send your units in there and then whatever happens. I'm not playing that game again because... 1) The patch I need is over 100 MB and I'm on Dialup 2) I don't see any Racial Identity in the game, everything is the same.

I played some 3v3 RT last night(RT'ing is my thang) and I got stuck with a Level 27 player who happens to be the Rank 2 RT'er. Quite a fun game, except our other ally was a complete moron and wouldn't listen to us.

Right now I'm ranked 664 in RT games. :) gotta keep climbing teh ranks. ;)

TFT is fucking defined by custom maps. Footmen Frenzy/ToB/Eota are amazing. The stuff that FM has done is genius, even if it needs a little help in the fun department. Dota can kiss my ass though. Christ that game is stupid.

I really didn't like the hero system at first. Was too used to SC, in WC you can have perfect macro/micro mixed army and still get raped by some whore who tier/creep rushes and gets 3 decent lvl str heros backed by ranged units. Complete BS. Once you start treating xp/item drops like a third resource it gets alot easier.

I'm still not a big fan, fucking Blizzard games and their air units. It really fucking sucks. Especially when there's no clear counter for air. I mean, orc loses against ne mixed air. Period. I don't play ladder very much. Much bigger fan of AoSs. Whoever was complaining about multi earlier, you should at least give ToB or Footmen Frenzy a shot. They are so much fun. Although the current version of ToB kinda sucks...

Name is Kater_LS, I'm on East quite a bit on weekdays.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
I dunno now with their firebats that can kamikaze the orcs aren't so bad air. Not to mention you used to be able to relaibly kick someones ass with the orcs if you skipped the barracks all together and specced straight to the wyverns and air rushed em 7min in. Ill agree that the NE are still the best air though hippograpphs are so cheap for what they do and the food they take up.

AeroGod

DonasaurusRex said:
I dunno now with their firebats that can kamikaze the orcs aren't so bad air. Not to mention you used to be able to relaibly kick someones ass with the orcs if you skipped the barracks all together and specced straight to the wyverns and air rushed em 7min in. Ill agree that the NE are still the best air though hippograpphs are so cheap for what they do and the food they take up.

If im not mistaken, Firebats got hit with the nerf bat in the most recent patch, making them alot more useless. ORCS PWNED!

teh_pwn

I'll be playing tonight.

My nick is Colonel_Lingus, and I'm on Azeroth.

Son of Godzilla said:
I mean, orc loses against ne mixed air. Period. I don't play ladder very much.

heh, you are an orc player too?

yes....orc has a hard time with air...human air against orc air is alot worse. Orc cannot stop human air what soever.

your only counter for ne air/orc air = Prevent them from getting air, which can be very difficult depending on the player.

with that said, ive slaughtered 4-5 chimes with just panda/naga/fs. muhahaha..

peace

Kefkaff

Banned
Humans have air units?!?!/11

Christ, I NEVER go air with Humans. Rifs/Sorcs/Priests/Breakers/Knights with an AM and MK. That's all I need.

Orc I either tech straight to Wyvs/Raiders, or get a few grunts and kinda hard tech to Tauren/Shaman

teh_pwn

Human air can be awesome in certain situations.

Like one time, this bastard sneaks in base with like 10 Chimaera. Just before he kills my Castle, I aerial shakled every chim and killed all. pwned.

Top Bottom