• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Launching a Kickstarter campaign on an E3 press conference

Salsa

is... not cool?

and they kinda knew since boyes focused on THEIR PROJECT

but.. yeah. I know the 2mil is there to just be reachable and the game is gonna cost a lot more but asking fans to fund a game for your platform right there and there on actual E3 is a weird, weird thing.

I actually think Kickstarter is a great way for this game to be made, but not announcing it here.

I just want more info

- is Sony more involved?

- are they just gauging interest to actually publish it themselves or put more money in or something?

this just sets a really weird precedent. yay shenmue but I don't like it or it to start happening.

Dennis

Banned
I am just happy Shenmue III is happening I don't care how.

This is basically a return from the dead.

It is not like it is a Kickstarter for the next Call of Duty.

Shenmue was a dead franchise.

Calcium

Banned
It seemed odd to me too. If you are going to present the Kickstarter during your conference you better also announce that you are donating a sizable sum to the campaign. I thought for sure Sony was going to throw some money at it and then encourage everyone else to do the same.

FStop7

Banned
It's a huge PR win and garners Sony a lot of free goodwill in exchange for giving Yu Suzuki a few minutes on stage to announce something people have been begging for for years.

I'm not clear if the game is being released on PS4 and PC only, or if it's on the Xbox One as well.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Its a murky precedent. Can we have kickstarters for all fan requested games?

Edit: I <3 kickstarters, not when a company promotes them and doesn't put money in themselves.

bounchfx

honestly this really did throw me for a loop.

but who knows - it's win/win
they wanted to start a kickstarter, but wasnt sure how to properly get a burst of exposure
sony wanted another megaton but wasnt comfortable funding it since they weren't sure how much of an audience it had

it's weird but like... it's shenmue 3

I thought it was a bit odd but it's great for Shenmue fans.

I mean, it's a Sony console exclusive so they must have promised some money for development or MS could turn around and snatch it up from under them. I also imagine Sony could have fronted the extra $2 million and not bothered with Kickstarter but I get the impression this is more of a marketing thing than a cost issue.

Seems like a smart move. Don't fund it, but still get part of the credit for getting it funded.

If they didn't fund it than how did they get console exclusivity?

It's a huge PR win and garners Sony a lot of free goodwill in exchange for giving Yu Suzuki a few minutes on stage to announce something people have been begging for for years.

I'm not clear if the game is being released on PS4 and PC only, or if it's on the Xbox One as well.

Kickstarter page doesn't mention a Xb1 version.

They just gave the game a major podium. It would have reached its goal without it, but is a great way to kickstarr their campaign.

However, there are indeed some questions which should and probably will be answered in the next couple of days.

Corpekata

Banned
I'm all for it simply because there's like a 90 percent chance it means a PC version is on the table, while if MS or Sony funded it directly, they might close off borders.

Debuting it at a press conference means insane amounts of promotion for it too that it might not receive otherwise.

Yaranaika

Definitely felt wrong for a huge corporation to advertise for a kickstarter.
But this will give it more money than Sony would have ever funded.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I thought we were long past the idea that crowdfunding was inherently shady or a form of charity.

Its a murky precedent. Can we have kickstarters for all fan requested games?

Exactly. Its a publisher saying you want it, you fund it. With Kickstarter we can get you to put any amount up to fund it even if the unit numbers aren't there. I'm telling you its chasing the die hards and getting "good will".

If they really wanted it, they would just fund it themselves.

Santiako

I'm glad that the kickstarter is happening but I did not like at all announcing it during the press conference. Bad precedent.

Nanashrew

Banned

I can tell you, if Nintendo tried that with a famous series to gauge demand through Kickstarter there would be outrage. People were angry enough that Nintendo funded Bayonetta 2 and even did an HD port of the first game. It would have been a PR disaster.

I think in the case of Shenmue, it was a good way to get everyone's attention for sure. I mean, simply just launching it would've gotten people's attention as well I'm sure. I didn't have a problem with it. Not every game could get away with it though.

WarMacheen

It's a proof of interest. Sony is backing this game. I mean, Sony already knows there is a fanbase, I think they are just using Kickstarter because it's the "in" thing to do right now. Considering it was dead in the water for years, I have no problem backing it.

Audioboxer

I am just happy Shenmue III is happening I don't care how.

This is basically a return from the dead.

It is not like it is a Kickstarter for the next Call of Duty.

Shenmue was a dead franchise.

This, who gives a fuck how it becomes a reality. ITS HAPPENING!

People beg for it and then... "I know it's coming, but it's not how I wanted it to come..."

WHAT?

It would be interesting to know how much, if any, Sony is funding.

Because if it's only $2 million total....youd think someone would have handed the cash over years ago to bolster their lineup.

Their whole E3 conference is REALLY sneaky once you get past the OMFG kneejerk reaction.

TLG! But...it looks exactly the same as it did 6 years, and its still not very exciting. "2016" huh...

FF7! But...who knows when that will ever come out, see Versus and KH3.

SHENMUE 3! But...a goddamn Kickstarter campaign? Pretttttty tacky

Meanwhile, the Vita is deader than dead, and Sony's 2015 line-up still lookin' real flabby and sick. They hope you don't notice that as they talk about the future.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I couldn't care less about Shenmue, but I fail to see the problem with this.

How dare they get maximum exposure for their project? Those assholes? :S

Wavebossa

It's a very strange precedent, but i see nothing morally wrong with it. You might be able to argue that it is not what the creators of Kickstarter had in mind when they developed this funding platform, but i cannot argue against demand and people voting with their wallets

Nishastra

Banned
I can tell you, if Nintendo tried that with a famous series to gauge demand through Kickstarter there would be outrage. People were angry enough that Nintendo funded Bayonetta 2 and even did an HD port of the first game. It would have been a PR disaster.
Well, on the flip side, Shenmue 3 is also coming out on PC.

I'm grateful for the extra publicity that the Sony conference brings the announcement.

The combination of hype and hope going into the event and then created by delivering the message on such a huge stage is what is fuelling the insane funding rate.
It wouldn't be the same reading it on Kickstarter's front page or the news section of Eurogamer/Kotaku or even here on Gaf.

I don't really mind.

So far kickstarters from big companies or developers have been consistently released and well done.

I'd rather have kickstarter than for them to have to rely on fucking pre-order numbers to decide if development can continue.

I've never been a kickstarter supporter, but I had no problem with this. I saw this as Sony doing Yu Suzuki a bit of a favor. One that may be ultimately self serving, but a favor nonetheless. The goal will be met within 24 hours, I bet.

Salsa

People beg for it and then... "I know it's coming, but it's not how I wanted it to come..."

WHAT?

eh how is it not valid?

I liked Shenmue, don't care as much as others obviously, but this is more of a broader, industry question

no need to get blinded by the shiny colors and excitement, I think it's cool that we're getting the game, but there's nothing cynic about having an opinion on the thing

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
On one hand I would like to see kickstarter funding for all the games that are loudly required by fans and I would like that big publisher to use this method for the franchises (and even ports) that they are reluctant to finance.

On the other hand announcing a kickstarter in an E3 conference and thus accepting/taking the aura of "savior" of a game you are not willing to finance (although you have the meanings) it's shameful and lame.

It's taking the credit without the merits.

Top Bottom