• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laura Bailey continues to receive death threats online over the character she played in TLOU2

Look the game may have its issues in terms of narrative elements and the way some characters are handled (and it's just too depressing/nihilistic for my tastes. Not even in an entertaining way at that)...

...But really, none of this is called for. She's playing a fictional character in a game. It does not warrant sending them death threats. Some emotionally and mentally stunted people out there, man.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
So she’s treat like everyone else online? You get this simply for playing well in COD or Siege.

Sorry but this is pretty standard for people online. It’s really not that unusual.
It's different when it's your personal social media account and just look at how much attention Abby gets on gaming sites, it's gotta be way worse for Laura on Twitter

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
I still ultimately think Naughty Dog or Sony’s way of handling all this stuff didn’t help. I’m more of a let people say what they say, ignoring them they’ll eventually get bored.

but maybe I’m wrong. Either way, there’s no justification for the nasty stuff that has gone on.

Rikoi

This is idiotic. It's not her fault if the game got a shit narrative.
If she refused they would have hired someone else but the story wouldn't have changed.

Last edited:
You’re gonna hurt someone in real life over a fictional character in a video game? That’s just sad, I bet these people would crumble if they had to handle anything remotely challenging in real life.

Valentino

I'm surprised some of them have an open public face picture........ she could outright put their instagram profile out there. But also, why does a little part of me think some of these comments could come from the same people who were trying to boycott this game for months. Even going as far to make a fake instagram page with Ellie as your display picture, 'pose' as a fan then go on to say some unoriginal too far death threats. But maybe not. Maybe just an unwell human.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Why open up dms to the public? So you can post about it?

Its not hard to get an angry mob on you on Twitter. If its so disturbing close it from the public.

mortal

Gold Member
I don't care how much anyone dislikes a game, anyone that engages in this behavior is fucking pathetic. Period.

It's really not that serious.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
You’ve gotten your share of messages like this right? Mods too?

I have this greet me every time I open my PMs, for fun:

s4GVPCW.jpg

rollinstoned348

Neo Member
Honestly are some people really THIS immature? you don't solve a disagreement with threats of violence or murder. Maybe some gamers need to remove themselves from their console/pc and go outside and meet real people. It isn't remotely normal.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Remind me to never be an actor in a thing enjoyed by millions of people around the world while also using Twitter.

Like these people want worldwide fans and to talk directly to millions of people? Fame comes at t price. I’m sorry but there are always crazies and the more famous you get the more crazies you attract.

Using Twitter on top of that is like, duh, you are going to get hate no matter what

Last edited:
Business as usual for social media in this day and age. Retards will always find a way to do crap like this for things they don't like instead of being more rational and formulating their opinion, taking a stance, discussing it maturely and living by it.

And this goes both ways. I bet some of the reviewers who gave it a negative review have also received similar trash.

I just hope no one tries to use this as fuel for the fanboy war.

Bartski

Gold Member
I've been listening to the kinda funny podcast the other day and it's really sad as she poured her heart and soul into it and knocked it out of the park. The "fan reaction" was briefly discussed and she comes across as rather vulnerable when it comes to the dark side of social media which makes this even worse.

However, I imagine if I was in her shoes I wouldn't give two fucks. Receiving death threats for a role I played as an actor??? Really? These people are complete brain dead idiots not worth a second of attention

Top Bottom