• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laura Bailey continues to receive death threats online over the character she played in TLOU2

internet GIF

Those kids...

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Always enjoyable seeing how salty this incredible game made people, especially now, post GOTY accolades.

A gift that keeps on giving.

That reminds me of the people who used to get upset at the actors of "bad" characters in movies/pilots... do they realize this person did not even write the character? ... not that being this hateful to a person in media makes any sense.

mhirano

How dumb must you be to confound a voice actress with the fictional character she played?
This is ridiculous and disgusting!
Every sane person knows that all the TLOU2 hate should be directed to Drunkman.
Just kidding, please don't hate anyone because of shitty videogames

you cannot make a name for yourself in this world without death threats
I'm in Canada and one day a hunorist made a bad version of the national anthem before a hockey game, the local team lost BADLY-he got death threats for his actions. Good for him, causing the defeat of the hockey team!

Last edited:

yurinka

I understand people can dislike how Druckmann 'subverted expectations' with TLOU2 to make his own woke version of the MGS2 twist, that people can be angry because of they did to a beloved character and that they may dislike the new one (not only because -as they publicly said- they uglyfied the new female characters on purpose to make them unattractive to straight males, and to make them trans friendly). Or well, that you may dislike how the story was developed because having too much woke tokenism negatively impacted the story and pace of the game with fillers. I can even agree all this.

You can respecfully dislike, disagree or even reject these things. But man, from here to insult, attack and send death threats there is a huge distance. Nobody deserves that, and even less a voice actress who only played a role. I mean, she didn't even was the face or body model. They had another models (and uglyfied them) for that.

And well, other than that people also should understand that there are billions of people in Internet and this includes a ton of retarded assholes, trolls, dumb idiots and so on. All public well known people receives shit on internet, and the bigger is the audience the bigger is the amount of shit, specially if the work involves controversial stuff. But in 99.99% it stays there, on a shitty Internet comment or private message. If someone insults you, you can just block and report and forget them, and if needed to call the police. People will still worry, but shouldn't worry about receiving insults or death threats. Just block and report.

Open, direct access to everyone via social media isnt necessarily worth the exposure to negativity from shitheads.

Why open up dms to the public? So you can post about it?

I just went to check it, at least now she doesn't have this account with the DMs open to the public. Who knows, I assume she closed them after receiving all this shit.

Last edited:

Carna

Banned
People in here, going on about something that happened like 5 months ago.

I made it clear that I don't like the voice actress, but I am not going to say she deserved the harassment, otherwise let things that happened in 2020, stay in 2020. and just move on. Srsly.

Hugare

That's sad

But if I were famous, I would go full Keanu

No instagram, no Facebook, no Twitter. Friends and family will have my personal number, and that's it.

Wouldnt give a fuck about interacting with fans online.

Seems to be working for him pretty well

Woggleman

I AM SO FUCKING TIRED OF THIS BULLSHIT!

A man puting a loaded gun to your head is a death thread, some punks tweeting some shit IS NOT.
If you saw the way some youtubers and people were foaming out the mouth angry about this game then it is understandable why she took this seriously. All it takes is one person to go too far.

I wonder why gaming and hobbies that are considered nerdy tend to have this kind of toxicity over other things.

SenkiDala

I AM SO FUCKING TIRED OF THIS BULLSHIT!

A man puting a loaded gun to your head is a death thread, some punks tweeting some shit IS NOT.
Well. It is... I mean, how the fuck sending a threat to someone, to killer her, is not a death threat? It's litterally a death threat.

Azurro

Banned
Gamers tend to get more... involved in their hobby I’ve noticed more than any other entertainment medium. Sometimes series will have similar things, I know the actor who played Anakin in Phantom Menace had similar experiences which as a kid he felt forced to retire from acting over it.

This isn't true in the least. Every niche has insane people in it that take their fandom to unhealthy extremes. You actually disproved yourself in your second sentence, there are plenty of fans of movies that get routinely annoyed and throw tantrums on twitter. Comic book fans, TV shows fans, music fans, sports fans. Every single thing that arises passion out of people will have a subset of insane idiots in it.

It's lovely that artists want to be in touch with their fans but it's naive to believe that there aren't unhinged people out there, they shouldn't be so open to be reached out to directly.

DustQueen

Banned
Well. It is... I mean, how the fuck sending a threat to someone, to killer her, is not a death threat? It's litterally a death threat.

Do you realise that all of those "death threads" news are mostly pushed by marketing teams? It is the same story as with Ghostbusters remake

And the thing that makes those tweeter death threads a non issue is absence of actual danger coupled with using em as a marketing trick against the criticism of a certain products

Last edited:
Do you realise that all of those "death threads" news are mostly pushed by marketing teams? It is the same story as with Ghostbusters remake

And the thing that makes those tweeter death threads is absence of actual danger.
Is that what marketing teams do in between sending influencers and devs PS5-branded slippers and blankets?

Gamers tend to get more... involved in their hobby I’ve noticed more than any other entertainment medium. Sometimes series will have similar things, I know the actor who played Anakin in Phantom Menace had similar experiences which as a kid he felt forced to retire from acting over it.
Have you ever watched Football? People paint themselves in their team's colors. Or even worse European football... people physically fight over which team is going to win or something.

Buckeye-fans.jpg

And they are not even cosplaying!

And Montreal's Hockey riots (there are similar outbursts of "enthusiasm" in many other places for other sports/teams).

Not sure about fuel heads or model train fandoms, they seem armless, but maybe we can find death threats to the other fans.

We just went through the release of two major consoles... nothing (maybe a mom got punched in a Walmart).... Of course nothing excuse death threats to creators and actors.

Last edited:
All this stuff about gamers being unhinged is patently untrue. I've worked with teachers, bankers, and hospitals in the tech industry and all of them have people who lose their shit when you don't fix their bug or commit to their ridiculous feature request. Same with B2C software, customers will yell at you for the dumbest shit.

Gamers aren't any different or worse than the rest of the population. We just have this weird layer of sycophant media that likes to demonize customers since they all live in trust fund condos on the coast.

I'm just disappointed people are getting riled up for what is objectively a terrible game. At least get angry about a good game...

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Large groups of people will always have loonies. Hell the fans of the game have sent crazy comments to people and threatened them over not liking it too. With everyone having a voice it's bound to happen

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
ehhh wrong thread

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
This isn't true in the least. Every niche has insane people in it that take their fandom to unhealthy extremes.
Nobody tell him about people stalking/killing tv/music people.

Kinda funny that I just got into an argument in another thread about which fanboys are worse Sony or Xbox. Several people tried to tell me Xbox is far worse and I said no both are shit and it's pretty equal. Pretty sure this thread at least proves me right.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
IbizaPocholo IbizaPocholo

Why Necro-bump this thread just to add this? Versus make another if you feel it's relevant? You know most people don't bother to check when a thread was started. Have some sense.
I dont think its relevant to make another thread existing this one because the topic is the same inside of the link i posted.

Well, these are the same people that hate what is arguably the best game of the generation, so the bar is not very high.
They're talking shit about Bloodborne? I'll kill them! I'll kill them all, every single last one of them!!!

Aww, shucks now I've done it too. This death threat stuff is tricky, yo

Top Bottom