• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laura Bailey continues to receive death threats online over the character she played in TLOU2

thelastword

Banned
TLOU2 is an excellent game with depressing plot that I don't like. However, these people are so stupid. Go send your death threats to the writer and director 🤣 not the poor lady who just did what she was paid for.
Send death threats to the writer? A game's chief mechanic is not even it's story.....Should we send death threats to movie directors where we hated the movie then? That is completely about story, are we justified to do that there....This world is something isn't it...

Send death threats to the writer? A game's chief mechanic is not even it's story.....Should we send death threats to movie directors where we hated the movie then? That is completely about story, are we justified to do that there....This world is something isn't it...
You didn't understand what I ment. The lady had nothing to do with the story and narrative being "bad". If you have a problem with tje story, talk to the director and writer not the actor.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Why is she protecting the identity of these scumbags by hiding their names? I hope she reported all of them to the police.
If she gave the information of the users it would only encourage dogpiling and doxxing. Likely it would hinder any criminal charges. It would go against the thing she is trying to highlight. I hope she went to the police too, unchecked social media is a mistake.

Because people like you tell them that those are real things and they should care about them.

The hec do you know about me lol? Holy strawman... if you got nothing better to say when caught with a dumb comment just ignore - don't be stupid to attack the messenger with such a poor strawman. Kinda the opposite of what you wanted to portray.

Btw nobody cares about tales of how you were brought up. Fact is kid and adults that don't handle this well do suicide themselves or fall into depression - and they're not stupid or below you as humans because you say so.

Last edited:

Ixiah

Banned
Oh i get it, when crazy Women threaten Adam Driver for his Kiss in RoS, thats just "a few deranged Individuals"
But some morons who treaten Laura Bailey ?
"We need to change gaming to make sure Toxic Gamers are a thing of the Past"

Dontero

Banned
I think you're digging yourself too deep into your own strawman on what's real and not real lol. We'll leave it at that.

Here is quick example:

You have a child. And you say to him that Santa Claus exist. Does that child then believe that or not ? Yes, if you keep telling something is real people will treat it as real thing, if you don't they won't.

gow3isben

Oh Boohoo. Literally every social media personality receives death threats. You ignore that shit. It is mostly 13 year olds in their basement who probably would faint if they got a papercut. Cuckman should also stop pretending he is surprised when he is literally egging people on with his tweets. He obviously knew the reaction this game would have. He is a cunning sympathy manipulator pretending to be victimized to rouse up lunatics like those in reshitera.

With that said, after finishing the game it is my 4th favorite this generation (Witcher 3, God of War, Uncharted 4), despite my reservations with the story it is a remarkable achievement.

• Triggered
Reactions: MrS

McCheese

I feel bad for her, people need to direct their anger at the writer and reviewers who went along with the draconian review restrictions which allowed this massive disappointment to occur.

I doubt voice actors have any input into the story at all, you might as well be yelling at their cleaner and security guard.

Soodanim

Gold Member
To all those people who don't seem to understand, I'll break it down for you. She's using an activist playbook to the letter.

1. Lash out a community because you don't agree with what they say. Then quickly delete said thing or bury it somewhere.
2. Create a pretend olive branch to prop yourself up.
3. Call out how mean stupid people are.
4. Collect victim points and say how -ist, -phobe those haters are.
5. Bask in glory.

It sucks that she's been threatened, harassed and stuff, but any normal person would block and report these morons. Of course Twitter won't do shit. Then you go about your day. Instead of doing that, she took the time to screen cap and redact the pictures and put the convos on media. Now she's basking in victim hood glory. She's no different than Anita tbh.

As Taylor Swift would say, Haters gonna hate, hate, hate. I shake it off, I shake it off.
From what I understand, the "Lashing out" you speak of was replying to someone else's tweets about bots (I'm guessing this was when the Metacritic bombing started) saying "All the bots". If that's it, no wonder you're so upset, that's deeply hurtful.

Instead of this cynical lens, let me give you an alternate way of looking at it:

A tweet was made, recognised as a possible error in judgement, and deleted. Perfectly reasonable thing to do. Screenshots shared as a "Look at what I get for doing my job" to highlight how stupid the whole thing has gotten and what people can be like. Her method worked (in part, at least) as one person recognised he was wrong and apologised. Use the word "Try" because it describes an attempt - an acknowledgement that you're not perfect.

When I was younger I used to think everyone should automatically have thick skin, too. But not everyone is built that way. It's even less reasonable to expect people to be perfect. And not everyone is out to manipulate you.

I even had to live through actual real life bullying when someone beat the crap out of me few times. When i got home my father beat me up because i was loser for not standing up to bully. He was right. Imagine if he did otherwise, started to get sad and started to excuse me being loser. Maybe next time i would jump from bridge.
In case you ever have kids, it's important that it's pointed out that while you learned his backwards lesson it was essentially chance that you learned it. There's a lot of people that will jump off that bridge because of their parents beating them for getting beaten. The ones that don't often end up with issues later in life, even the most hardened can go through it. There are better ways. Your father learned it from his father, but you live in the information age. Don't beat your children, there's no need.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
In case you ever have kids, it's important that it's pointed out that while you learned his backwards lesson it was essentially chance that you learned it. There's a lot of people that will jump off that bridge because of their parents beating them for getting beaten. The ones that don't often end up with issues later in life, even the most hardened can go through it. There are better ways. Your father learned it from his father, but you live in the information age. Don't beat your children, there's no need.

Except modern suicide school shootings and other crap like that didn't exist just 50 years ago.
You still can't get around that culture is a thing and people who are conditioned to be losers will become losers.

Don't beat your children, there's no need.

Yes there is a need to beat your children if they missbehave. Children are like adults without morality or limits to what they could do. You are blessed if your child respects you but once child gets its mind warped you have to enforce strict rules otherwise your kid will be loser or worse.

Effects of "teachers/parents can't hit children" are easily seen in schools where kids can even attack teachers physically. In my time there were NEVER any issues like those in school. Because if some child would act up and start doing that shit teacher would take ruler and smack hands or ass so hard that kid will think 10 times before doing something like that and if kids would go to parents to tell on teacher they would give him seconds.

I guarantee you that if you would replace prison with lashing it would quickly solve a lot of criminals problems. Someone would think twice about stealing something when pain from that will be felt for years vs just sitting in jail on taxpayer dole for few months.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Except modern suicide school shootings and other crap like that didn't exist just 50 years ago.
You still can't get around that culture is a thing and people who are conditioned to be losers will become losers.

Yes there is a need to beat your children if they missbehave. Children are like adults without morality or limits to what they could do. You are blessed if your child respects you but once child gets its mind warped you have to enforce strict rules otherwise your kid will be loser or worse.

Effects of "teachers/parents can't hit children" are easily seen in schools where kids can even attack teachers physically. In my time there were NEVER any issues like those in school. Because if some child would act up and start doing that shit teacher would take ruler and smack hands or ass so hard that kid will think 10 times before doing something like that and if kids would go to parents to tell on teacher they would give him seconds.

I guarantee you that if you would replace prison with lashing it would quickly solve a lot of criminals problems. Someone would think twice about stealing something when pain from that will be felt for years vs just sitting in jail on taxpayer dole for few months.
Some fucked up stuff happens in America. The rest of the world is a very different place.

Strict rules = beating?

Your whole philosophy seems to boil it down to "You either beat your kids or they'll be a loser who will shoot up their school or hit teachers", and you seriously don't see a problem with that?

I don't know how you can raise a child, teach them how to walk, talk, ride a bike, and everything else but at some point words and being a parent who cares enough to teach their child becomes "Hit them until they're good". What about the bullies in schools who are bullies because they aren't being raised right and don't know anything but hitting to solve problems and feel big because that's what they learned from their parents? And when those bullies are the ones that push a kid to the point of frenzy and he shoots up a school, tell me again: whose fault is it? Is it the kid who is a loser because his dad didn't beat him or the kids who were failed by their parents and the school system that did nothing to protect them? What about the kids who the school shooter didn't shoot because they were nice to them? Where do they fit into this?

You can teach your kid to defend themselves without beating them.
You can teach your kid to respect teachers/elders without beating them.
You can teach your kid to not be a bully without beating them.

There are problems in schools and society in general, but thinking they can be fixed by parents teaching their children that loving them means beating them is not the way to do it.

Dontero

Banned
There are problems in schools and society in general, but thinking they can be fixed by parents teaching their children that loving them means beating them is not the way to do it.

Maybe you should next time read with understanding. I never said education should be replaced with beating. Try to read my post 5 more times if you have troubles with reading and try to notice when such beating has to occur in my view.

I don't like what I am hearing about TLOU2 and refuse to buy it, but that's no reason to fucking threaten someone's life over it. Even if she said "I hate white people, I hate men!!" I would just be like "Oh, ok, I guess I won't buy anything with you in it." People who fucking go out of their way to send someone death threats are pathetic. This lady did her job and people hate her because of it? Fuck off you entitled little shits.

dezzy8

You have really sad life if someone can even in bar say " i will kill you" and you have to cower in fear for days weeks or months.

Because people like you tell them that those are real things and they should care about them. I was brought up in era before internet and social media. No internet threat will ever budge me.

I even had to live through actual real life bullying when someone beat the crap out of me few times. When i got home my father beat me up because i was loser for not standing up to bully. He was right. Imagine if he did otherwise, started to get sad and started to excuse me being loser. Maybe next time i would jump from bridge.
Who said anything about cowering?

Rolla

Banned

Having finished the game I gotta admit, I don't understand the hate. Particularly how transphobia became a part of this hate. Serious question, was there even a trans character in the game? Not that that somehow legitimatizes any of this abhorrent vitriol, I'm seeing, I just don't get how trans hate is a part of this retarded awful and shameful narrative and being as a reason to attack people who helped make the game.

Enjay

Banned
Since everyone is getting death threats without actually dying is it really news anymore? Just like everyone being a rapist.

NYR

Serious question, was there even a trans character in the game? Not that that somehow legitimatizes any of this abhorrent vitriol, I'm seeing, I just don't get how trans hate is a part of this retarded awful and shameful narrative and being as a reason to attack people who helped make the game.
Yes, one of the side characters, Lev, is transgender and in the game, that plays a part when he and his sister run away from the cult because of it, leading to one of the main characters to help them.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
These game employees surely never posted on stock message boards during the 2000 dot.com craze. They got skin thinner than saran wrap.

You got everything from cussing, threats, doxxing, accusing the CEO of being gay, etc..... Especially bad was when the tech stocks dropped like a rock and every investor going long lost their shirt.

All these tweets about LoU 2 and Laura Bailey being scared is the equivalent of probably 1 hour worth of posts on Micron's or AOL's (or any other volatile stock back then) stock board back in 2000 when stocks dropped like a rock like March's coronavirus effect.

You don't see stuff like that anymore because boards are moderated, including all that automated software that filters but back then during a bad day in the market you'd get shit like this:

Thread 1: Fuck UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU AOL. Eat a dick Shorts!

Thread 2: Lost $50,000. Gonna jump off a bridge.

Thread 3. Where the hell is that homo CEO? Is he going to respond?

Last edited:
There are some people ITT who are really invested in this "news story"

But why? Do you instantly believe it must be true? All we have been presented with from Laura and Druckman are a couple .jpg easily created in 5 min.

Why should we believe any of this?

Last edited:

sevoro

To people who say karma, she deserves it, she has done something similar, she shits on other people's opinions so she deserves it, etc

Has she ever told anyone to kill themselves, or threatened them with death?

If no, then kindly stfu you waste of human oxygen, if yes, I would ask that you point me to where because my google-fu sucks.

Cyborg

TLOU2 is an excellent game with depressing plot that I don't like. However, these people are so stupid. Go send your death threats to the writer and director 🤣 not the poor lady who just did what she was paid for.
Some of these comments. How is this allowed here? Why would you send death threats to anyone? The heat Lauar is getting even involving her kid(s) is just insane and every wrong comment should not be tolarated.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
To all those people who don't seem to understand, I'll break it down for you. She's using an activist playbook to the letter.

1. Lash out a community because you don't agree with what they say. Then quickly delete said thing or bury it somewhere.
2. Create a pretend olive branch to prop yourself up.
3. Call out how mean stupid people are.
4. Collect victim points and say how -ist, -phobe those haters are.
5. Bask in glory.

It sucks that she's been threatened, harassed and stuff, but any normal person would block and report these morons. Of course Twitter won't do shit. Then you go about your day. Instead of doing that, she took the time to screen cap and redact the pictures and put the convos on media. Now she's basking in victim hood glory. She's no different than Anita tbh.

As Taylor Swift would say, Haters gonna hate, hate, hate. I shake it off, I shake it off.

There's no way to justify death threats over a video game, or even a differing of political opinion. Putting any of this on her is unfair. "Call out how mean stupid people are." - well, yea, they're literally threatening violence upon her and her family because she portrayed a character in a video game. I cannot fathom how you, or anyone, thinks any of this is OK.

"Basking in victim hood glory"?. What exactly is she gaining by receiving death threats and targeted online harassment? She's already a celebrated actress in games and voice overs. She has plenty of followers. She doesn't show any of the typical signs of attention seekers.

Anyway, Twitter needs to be more proactive in engaging law enforcement in these cases. It shouldn't be on the shoulders of the abused. She shouldn't have to stop using Twitter, for example. If enough people start getting arrested or sued for doing things that would get them arrested or sued off of social media, maybe enough will stop doing it.

EDMIX

Sad.

This is why I've stated for years that the gaming industry is in its infancy, it needs to progress as a medium and folks need to respect that development teams, writers, directors etc are FREE to create what they want and express themselves.

If THIS triggers gamers, how would they fucking handle a video game about the film Outrage made in 1950?

Cape Fear 1962?

Straw Dogs 1971?

The Last House On The Left 1972?

Degrassi, a show with rape, gay people, drug use etc in 1987?

American History X 1992?

My god, the gaming community literally behaves as if they need to be on training wheels and overreact over anything even remotely different and then try to force, intimidate, attack, threaten, harass etc anyone that dares to freely express something in a game. Yet people really wonder why so many mediums look down on gaming???

This medium is in a sad, sad state right now where we crying over stuff that was in films in 1950s....... Really, really think about if anything of that truly makes sense to be getting upset over in 2020. Naughty Dog is paving the way and Sony as a publisher is giving the freedom to writers to really, really, REALLY push the medium and allow it to be JUST as free as the other mediums. So one day I hope we have games where a person is a person of color, gay, religious, atheous, or gets killed off and it isn't this big deal where we need several threads made of people crying over something and making petitions and sending out death threats cause something "different in game".

Don't give death threats online people. All it manages to do is to give the receiver of the threats attention and sympathy, while never being bothered by the threats, because no one takes that crap seriously.

If anyone gives this post a "Triggered", I'll kill your goldfish.

Nymphae

Banned
I won't take these things seriously until they go back to the old method of snail mailing letters made from magazine cutouts. Death threats on social media are trivial, can anyone even point to a high profile case where a death threat or even a threat of violence given over social media was carried out?

Why am I supposed to take these seriously when this has never been a serious threat, and for all I know, they are entirely the work of trolls or sympathizers looking for easy press?

OnionSnake

Banned
Yup, exactly.
Seriously who sends death threats, over entertainment of all things?
Gamers tend to get more... involved in their hobby I’ve noticed more than any other entertainment medium. Sometimes series will have similar things, I know the actor who played Anakin in Phantom Menace had similar experiences which as a kid he felt forced to retire from acting over it.

Top Bottom