• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laura Bailey continues to receive death threats online over the character she played in TLOU2

OnionSnake

Banned
I won't take these things seriously until they go back to the old method of snail mailing letters made from magazine cutouts. Death threats on social media are trivial, can anyone even point to a high profile case where a death threat or even a threat of violence given over social media was carried out?

Why am I supposed to take these seriously when this has never been a serious threat, and for all I know, they are entirely the work of trolls or sympathizers looking for easy press?
There was a user on the_donald who threatened to kill his dad because he knew his dad was a deep state operative or some shit, and then he stabbed his dad in the (head? Neck?) that night killing him. Not sure if that’s what you mean by high profile though

Nymphae

Banned
There was a user on the_donald who threatened to kill his dad because he knew his dad was a deep state operative or some shit, and then he stabbed his dad in the (head? Neck?) that night killing him. Not sure if that’s what you mean by high profile though

It's something. I've just honestly never heard of these amounting to anything and still scratch my head when the media tries to get me to care about what anons on twitter are saying to celebrities.

Komatsu

I won't take these things seriously until they go back to the old method of snail mailing letters made from magazine cutouts. Death threats on social media are trivial, can anyone even point to a high profile case where a death threat or even a threat of violence given over social media was carried out?

Why am I supposed to take these seriously when this has never been a serious threat, and for all I know, they are entirely the work of trolls or sympathizers looking for easy press?

Regardless of whether or not we have any confirmed cases of social media-driven death threats ever being carried out, I am sure it is not nice to wake up to a deluge of Twitter DMs by randos saying they'll find where you live and slaughter you because of a video game.

Last edited:

OnionSnake

Banned
It's something. I've just honestly never heard of these amounting to anything and still scratch my head when the media tries to get me to care about what anons on twitter are saying to celebrities.
Yeah most of them are definitely just screeching into the void but as the Gretchen whitmer stuff showed it is entirely possible some of them will try and act out their fantasies. Really depraved world out there

Miles708

Regardless of whether or not we have any confirmed cases of social media-driven death threats ever being carried out, I am sure it is not nice to wake up to a deluge of Twitter DMs by randos saying they'll find where you live and slaughter you because of a video game.

At least with snail-mail you had to actually write (assuming you know how to do it) and going out and physically mail your letter. It means you had more time and more steps to actually think about what you're doing, and if it's right and worth it at all.

I'd like to think Twitter is populated by 9 year-olds acting "though".

Nymphae

Banned

I think the small likelihood of these actually amounting to anything is relevant. What proof is there that these are simply not agenda driven sock puppet tweets used for media coverage? I literally don't care that a handful of people anonymously like to press buttons on twitter and neither should the targets for the most part given that nothing ever happens, but these stories always seem to have this "this is an unacceptable scourge and you should feel massive sympathy for this person" vibe

Komatsu

I think the small likelihood of these actually amounting to anything is relevant. What proof is there that these are simply not agenda driven sock puppet tweets used for media coverage? I literally don't care that a handful of people anonymously like to press buttons on twitter and neither should the targets for the most part given that nothing ever happens, but these stories always seem to have this "this is an unacceptable scourge and you should feel massive sympathy for this person" vibe

Why would Laura Bailey or any other successful voice actor, with a well-established and respected industry career, make use of sock-puppets or fabricate hundreds of death threats?

I am not a journalist myself, but once upon a time I published an article on a famous Japan-based magazine and got months of vitriolic hate e-mail over it. It's incredibly aggravating and annoying.

Nymphae

Banned
Why would Laura Bailey or any other successful voice actor, with a well-established and respected industry career, make use of sock-puppets or fabricate hundreds of death threats?

Attention, coverage, starting conversations, etc. There really isn't much downside in faking this as far as I can tell, you get sympathy and coverage.

To be fair, it is probably likely that a good amount of this sort of thing is the work of button pushing internet trolls who get a thrill out of sending a direct message to a well known person that gets attention, but I'm saying I have no way of knowing if they are legit or not, they more often than not are not serious threats, and there is incentive to actually fake this.

Last edited:

Nezzeroth

Attention, coverage, starting conversations, etc. There really isn't much downside in faking this as far as I can tell, you get sympathy and coverage.

To be fair, it is probably likely that a good amount of this sort of thing is the work of button pushing internet trolls who get a thrill out of sending a direct message to a well known person that gets attention, but I'm saying I have no way of knowing if they are legit or not, they more often than not are not serious threats, and there is incentive to actually fake this.
Yes, because the internet is such a peaceful and calm place that the only way this can happen is if they are fake.

Bartski

Gold Member
or, you know, just don't send death threats at all over a video game you didn't like
whoa now read through the thread, no death threats at all? now that would sound rather extreme don't you think? How about some subtle, middle-ground kind of death threats?
Death threats towards a distant granny perhaps? Or a hamster?

ethomaz

Banned
I have this greet me every time I open my PMs, for fun:

s4GVPCW.jpg

Ouhhh that why you missed my PM some years ago... I don’t even remember the subject anymore :p

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm not a fan of the games direction but that's just silly, what's the point?
And the girl just reads a script written by somebody else.
And it's a fictional story. Get a grip people

Komatsu

"I can believe it" is not good enough proof for me

Rational appraisal of what was posted, barring any contradicting evidence, would lead us to Occam's Razor: the simplest explanation is the likeliest to be true.

There are not a lot of examples of people actually following through with such threats (though there are few here and there, if one looks) but there are even less examples of established industry personalities creating fake outrage armies out of whole cloth to spam their own inboxes.

Last edited:
This is the result of a lack of proper mental health care in combination with open and often anonymous access to social media.

It's an awful thing to be on the receiving end of and I hope they leave her alone, although I do think it's also important to note that the only thing these people represent is unhinged people who are in need of help, not gamers, fans of certain movies, tv-shows, or whatever else it might be.

You can find unhinged people wherever you want to find them, sadly.

For all my hatred of the characters she has been playing lately, and the games they are in, sending her death threats over it is not ok to me. Abby and Nadine suck, but doing this to the actress is bullshit.

Komatsu

It's not very convoluted to suggest much of this could be the work of people playing the media. Ever read Ryan Holiday's Trust Me I'm Lying?

I have not read the book, no, though I followed the frackas the followed its publication. I also don't think American Apparel, Tucker Max and the particular ecosystem they inhabit(ed) are necessarily operative comparisons here.

I get where you are coming from - there's so much ado about nothing on the internet that is easy to get cynical - but barring any actual, living-and-breathing example of someone well-established in the electronic entertainment industry making use of said methods, there's no particular reason to believe that Laura or any of the other dozens of VG voice actors, directors, etc. who regularly get deluged with death threads are creating a simulacrum of a situation for clout. They might - it's just that we don't have any compelling evidence to believe so.

Nymphae

Banned
I get where you are coming from - there's so much ado about nothing on the internet that is easy to get cynical - but barring any actual, living-and-breathing example of someone well-established in the electronic entertainment industry making use of said methods, there's no particular reason to believe that Laura or any of the other dozens of VG voice actors, directors, etc. who regularly get deluged with death threads are creating a simulacrum of a situation for clout. They might - it's just that we don't have any compelling evidence to believe so.

My point about the book was just that the media will demonstrably jump at any lies sent to them if they are what they are interested in publishing. There is incentive to lie about this sort of thing and very little possibility that it could turn around to bite you.

I didn't dig into this story because I couldn't access the link in the OP, but I mean I feel like I've seen stories like this written about a handful of anonymous tweets that never amounted to anything. I'm not saying a person definitely fabricated however many threats are involved here, TLOU most certainly activated many button pushers and I can believe a lot of this stuff is "legit", while at the same time being unserious and not worthy of media attention.

Woman7

Banned
It's called emancipation Laura, welcome. If you stick your neck out someone out there is going to want cut your head off. The ones announcing it are usually not the ones you need to worry about.

I was recieving death threats long before american 'social media'. Just the two, but that's online (anonymous) communication for you.

Nutjobs abound, unfortunately.

Also, not saying they'd do anything about it, but isn't this sort of stuff actionable by law enforcement? Not so much the "I hope your parents get cancer," but rather the "I'm going to find you and stab you in the face" threats.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
She was really good in the role..

I mean, come on people! If you don't like TLOU2, just send a bad review. This woman was just doing her job.

assurdum

Banned
Good Lord it's incredible how many are affect of mental issue. I could "understand" (well, it's a stretch, of course) if they menace who wrote the story but the actress?:unsure:

Last edited:
Top Bottom