• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laura Bailey continues to receive death threats online over the character she played in TLOU2

thelastword

Banned
Man society keeps getting sicker, mentally.
I think social media has a lot to do with it, people who were outcasts and socially inept can stay behind their keyboards and do all sorts of mischief and spread their hate. The fact that there's little tolerance online and people go ham for any trivial thing, threatening human life for pixels on screen just shows how imbalanced we are as human beings. Social media has erased what little human interaction and compassion we had left. Some of us simply don't know what love is, so we can only give what we know, hate, loneliness and anger...

Gamerguy84

I think social media has a lot to do with it, people who were outcasts and socially inept can stay behind their keyboards and do all sorts of mischief and spread their hate. The fact that there's little tolerance online and people go ham for any trivial thing, threatening human life for pixels on screen just shows how imbalanced we are as human beings. Social media has erased what little human interaction and compassion we had left. Some of us simply don't know what love is, so we can only give what we know, hate, loneliness and anger...

Yep thats definitely one part of it. My CS teacher at uni hates pretty much all social media.

He tells us all to use it as a news feed and useful things and stay out of the social end of it.

nowhat

076.png
I'm not sure if you were trying to make a point, but if you did, you didn't.

Shantae

Banned
Ugh, these fucking morons give people who had valid criticisms against the game a bad name. I hate when this shit happens. Hell, Laura Bailey is the last person I would want to threaten if I was a psycho regarding the shitshow that was TLOUP2.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't think any millennial would last 10 seconds in the old Yahoo Finance message boards during 1999-2001 when the dot.coms were flying and bombing.

What a trainwreck of insults those forums were as moderation was virtually none.

Saw it all back then, including early forms of doxxing.

Klayzer

Just goes to show you how shit the human race can be even on a basic level.
I can't imagine being that upset over games and politics to send someone those type of responses. People on the internet, literally think they can say whatever they want without any consequences at all. Then when they get called out on it "my rights and freedom of speech" is the shelter these cowards like to hide behind.

Shantae

Banned
I don't use twitter often, but I tried to give her some kind words on there. She's not a person who deserve this. I like throwing shade at some like Neil Druckmann on here, but I never do it to him personally, and I feel okay doing it on here but also because he throws it at people himself. Laura Bailey has been such a talented VA for many years, so this is bull shit.

That’s terrible. Cyber-bullying and threatening a very talented voice actor is bad enough, but actual death threats? Sadly, nothing surprises me anymore especially with how crazy and corrupted the world is now. Social media was a huge mistake. The abundance of idiots online are destroying it even further which is saying a lot.

Last edited:
All these pieces of shit should be prosecuted for death threats and swatted their fucking ass off. There needs to be zero tolerance for this, this is not freedom of speech.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Hahahaha, Even better From 2012.

Problem is so many people's lives depend on Twitter accounts and sub counts as their form of interacting with people and achievement in life.

But for people who watch from the sidelines, it's insanely hilarious. Someone replying with a Fuck You comment on Twitter or Youtube isn't that funny. But the person going nuts at it is.

carlosrox

Banned
Some people really need to grow the fuck up.

That shit's not even funny as a damn joke in any way. It's just fucked.

Even if you hate the game or the character or whatever, what the fuck is wrong with you for talking to people like that (again, EVEN AS A DAMN "JOKE") ??

Fucks like these are the kinda people who deserve being canceled.

samporter

Banned
Strange how she's so fearful but yet there are no usernames on any of these "death threats" messages. If she was so scared, shouldn't the names be reported to twitter and law enforcement? Sounds like feign outrage to garner pity and shift any negative feedback away from the game. Surely it has to be the "alt right" that ruined the game, and it cannot be the bad story, characters or performance.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Strange how she's so fearful but yet there are no usernames on any of these "death threats" messages. If she was so scared, shouldn't the names be reported to twitter and law enforcement? Sounds like feign outrage to garner pity and shift any negative feedback away from the game. Surely it has to be the "alt right" that ruined the game, and it cannot be the bad story, characters or performance.

Or she’s not accustomed to online hate mobs attacking her for her performances.

You know brings me back to my childhood days when I penned a letter to Frank Welker wishing ill will upon him for his part in the portrayal of Megatron, responsible party in the deaths of Transformers such as Ironhide and Optimus Prime. He wrote me back with the mailing address of the writer of the film and at the young age of five I understood that he was right I was writing the wrong person so I wrote to the writer of the film harboring the same feelings of ill-will and then the writer wrote me back and gave me the name of one of the producers of the film saying it was his decision and so I wrote this producer who then wrote me back and explained that the decisions in the film were made by higher powers than him and that they needed to kill off the old cast to sell new toys because the old toys were too expensive to make since they were made using stainless steel and the new ones could be made with plastic. He could only give me the name of a representative for the toy company he didn't know the actual person making these decisions final but I persisted none the less with a new letter full of suggestions such as that they bring back Ironhide and Optimus Prime in new bodies, he promptly replied that such ideas would clearly ruin the strict continuity of the series which had always been so easily and clearly defined. I was unable to deny the logic of what he was saying however I was still very passionate about the idea that my robots come back. Becoming eternally frustrated with all of this I went back to my original conclusion that Frank Welker was to blame and at the tender age of seven tracked him down and launched into a furious assault upon him with a baseball bat. It was on about the 57th swing of the bat that I realized my revenge had brought me nothing except to cause others to feel the pain and misery I had felt.

For a time things returned to normal for me in fact I even begin to get used to the new Transformers they wanted me to love. Then the show got cancelled, I'll get into the result of that later as this is going on a little long but the point is I was capable of pretty amazing things at a young age and instead of bringing good to the world I brought misery because I couldn't see beyond my own selfish interests. Can the world ever forgive me?

carlosrox

Banned
There's never a need to go after the voice actor

*actually anyone

I don't know why people can't just move on if they don't like something.

Whiny, pissy, moany "fans" just love to hear themselves bitch about something.

All this energy spent crying about so and so sequel sucks, this ending is trash, this character is trash, and on and on and fuckin' on.

People are incapable of asking themselves "am I being an annoying turd right now?", "should I shut the fuck up?" before they open their mouths.

Last edited:
Or she’s not accustomed to online hate mobs attacking her for her performances.
Yeah. She probably is new to the interaction. This type of stuff is like the participation trophy of the internet. If you’ve ever done anything of merit at all you are gonna get this.

oagboghi2

Some people really need to grow the fuck up.

That shit's not even funny as a damn joke in any way. It's just fucked.

Even if you hate the game or the character or whatever, what the fuck is wrong with you for talking to people like that (again, EVEN AS A DAMN "JOKE") ??

Fucks like these are the kinda people who deserve being canceled.
😂 Do they deserve death threats as well? Calm down Rambo

MagnesG

Banned
Eeeeehhh I'm pretty sure she knew what was coming when she signed up for it, and that applies on both sides too, when Joe's review got released you think it was all compliments and shit?

But still, death threats are not funny at all. Just enjoy life, why do people have to be that miserable.

A bunch of pathetic man children when their video games don't go their way. Just ridiculous and shameful behavior to attack someone who was just doing their job.
Says the person that promotes setting buildings on fire if you're in a bad mood.

Folks, I rarely venture into these parts, but our friend 🔥 TaySan TaySan 🔥 here is EXACTLY the kind of person that would do what is being reported in the OP. Trying to virtue-signal your way out of arson doesn't wash. These are the cretins who pretend they are decent whilst hoping to destroy your life for having an opinion they don't like.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What is it about video games and nerdy kind of things in general that attracts this kind of stuff?
Lonely people needing interaction + games is their way of living out their fantasy as video game hero + video game employees make it an effort to "always be in the spotlight" basically bringing it to themselves as they need the attention whoring for career boosts and sales.

So it's a two way street which is needed for gamers increasing interest buying product + employees trying to drum up interest.

Laura Bailey can set all her social media accounts on private if she wants. Bet you she doesn't.

You're right. You don't get this kind of stuff in other industries, even other entertainment like music, movies, and sports which is the closest thing to gaming.

And you get less of this the stodgier the industry. Pretty sure no employees working at the city water company gets responses like this on their Twitter accounts. In fact, the CEO of the water company probably doesn't even have a Twitter account. And if he or she does, it's set on private for family only and doesn't give a shit whether their account has 1 follower or 10000.

Last edited:

Vaelka

What is it about video games and nerdy kind of things in general that attracts this kind of stuff?

I think that it's just that people who play games also tend to be online and use social media more and video games are also interactive.
People still argue about books even, they just do it in book clubs or on specific forums dedicated to those books.
I mean do you not think that George R R Martin doesn't get hate too? Or the Game of Thrones guys?

Another thing too is that in those industries there's a bigger gap between you and them, it's a lot easier to harass a game developer than it is to harass George R R Martin or some actor.
Meg Turney had some crazy guy break into her home and try to kill her but couldn't find her, that's probably a lot harder to try and do to a big celebrity who has a huge mansion with security etc.
Gaming and platforms like Youtube and Twitch exist in this weird middle ground where yeah there are celebrities and famous people, but they're not wealthy on that level where they can basically hire their own police force and assistants to handle their emails and social media etc.
So it's just way easier to reach them and people take advantage of that.

Edit: Also, it's worth remembering that people burn and destroy parts of cities because their sports team won xD.
People act really stupid just in general.
Athletes get harassed and even blackmailed or assaulted too, but it happens in person so you're just not exposed to it unless you see it or read about it in a newspaper.
But even so sports fans can be EXTREMELY toxic towards players.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dante83

Banned
Wow, this is beyond ridiculous. I don't like the narrative, but I wouldn't go out of my way to make death threats to voice actors/actresses who were given the scripts.

TaySan

Banned
Says the person that promotes setting buildings on fire if you're in a bad mood.

Folks, I rarely venture into these parts, but our friend 🔥 TaySan TaySan 🔥 here is EXACTLY the kind of person that would do what is being reported in the OP. Trying to virtue-signal your way out of arson doesn't wash. These are the cretins who pretend they are decent whilst hoping to destroy your life for having an opinion they don't like.
*Yawn* Your schtick ain't working, buddy.
Care to actually comment about the topic on hand?

The level of hate I see for all things TLOU2 is on a different level. Attacking the voice actors now is truly reprehensible and shows the cyber-bullies don’t have lives. Twitter seems to be the worst.

Last edited:
*Yawn* Your schtick ain't working, buddy.
Care to actually comment about the topic on hand?
No, I care to show up nasty pieces of fire-starting garbage for what they are.
Whilst you meep and mope, seeking approval back at the other forum for being a duplicitous liar and hoping if you pretend to be a good little boy for long enough people will forget your rotten, violent, calls for violence and destruction then you're very much mistaken.

The only one that got burned by your desire to set things alight was you. That's called karma.

Chromata

Keyboard warriors and Twitter hate mobs, about as much courage and tact as a weasel.

Hope things settle down for her soon, she does phenomenal work.

It would appear that some of those haters are violating Twitter’a terms of service, and should be banned.

We define abusive behavior as an attempt to harass, intimidate or silence someone else’s voice. Some examples of abusive behavior include wishing or hoping serious harm on a person or group of people, encouraging someone to engage in self-harm, threats to expose someone’s private information or intimate media, unwanted sexual advances, and aggressive insults or non-consensual slurs.

Karak

You know I got told people were going to kill and burn my dogs due to a review. Which I found out later were sent to me due to another reviewer ball aching on youtube. And I thought "shit happens people are fucked" But I see this stuff and it just blows my fucking mind. Just boom.

Top Bottom