• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laura Dale: 2 Switch SKUs planned, UK Retailer GAME will sell at £199.99 and £249.99

Falchion

I want to see what the additional storage works out to be for the upgraded version as well as the included game before I buy that one. Like many have said I doubt it's Zelda since they'll want to sell that separately.

thefro

Damn!
Laura has been spot on so far, but prices sounds too good for me, than VOOK kicked hard so I started to not trust the report, than Matt backed it up and I ABSOLUTELY trust him about NX info...
what a rollercoaster!

I trust the report. Vook is probably skeptical of that directly converting into an Australian price that's similar given Nintendo of Australia's history.

DMONKUMA

Welp that's surprising if true...and great since it's pretty cheap.

If anything I would go for the regular package than the upgraded one...unless the game is worth it of course.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I trust the report. Vook is probably skeptical of that directly converting into an Australian price that's similar given Nintendo of Australia's history.

Oh, I'm with you.
I believe VOOK, but Laura has been so on spot with NX so far and, frankly speaking, Matt can't be wrong about it.

Hm, yeah that could be. Although Nintendo hasn't been all that aggressive with DLC/free to play models yet, so I don't know if they'd do that with a pack-in game. I think it's something more like Wii Sports, which showcases the abilities of the system. Probably something that focuses on the two-player local multiplayer, maybe with a portable/streetpass aspect?

worth mentioning though that Wii sports reappeared on Wii U in a chopped up free to start fashion, something like that for the Switch pack in would wouldn't surprise me

worth mentioning though that Wii sports reappeared on Wii U in a chopped up free to start fashion, something like that for the Switch pack in would wouldn't surprise me

I'm more saying that I wouldn't expect Nintendo to put out a free to start/DLC/microstransaction heavy game as a launch title, as that would be far more aggressive with that type of pricing model than we've seen from them. I certainly wouldn't put it past them, but I'm not expecting it.

An upgraded & expanded version of Mario Kart 8 is not comparable to an old Batman port. The Batman port stings because it was an awful showpiece for third-party support but Mario Kart 8 will not be the showpiece for the Switch in any way whatsoever. Nevermind the fact that the success of the system has barely anything to do with a pack-in game; it only has an additional effect and a Mario Kart game for example would be just that.

But it can have an impact on it. I think Nintendo more than any other company knows the type of positive impact the correct bundle can have on the success of a console. Tetris bundled with the GB, Super Mario World bundled with the SNES and Wii Sports bundled with the Wii. Would those have still been successful even without bundles? Almost certainly. But I also feel that it was also very helpful for all of those systems to essentially have a showcase game that came with the system itself. By bundling a game like Wii Sports with the Wii it meant that people could take it home and immediately know exactly what Nintendo was trying to sell with the system as a whole. It was a perfect demonstration of the controls. It was obviously what they hoped that Nintendoland would do.

Soroc

I haven't had a chance to read through the thread yet but isn't the pound = dollar when it comes to retail pricing? Like if the premium switch is 249 dollars isn't it usually priced the same europe at 249 british pounds or 249 euro for other countries?

I know the 2 currencies aren't equal but I thought I always remembered Europeans getting screwed by having to pay more based off US > EU pricing. Am I wrong on this? Should we expect the Switch to be 199.99 and 249.99 USD? If so I'm ecstatic and 200 is impulse buy territory

tebunker

Banned
Welp that's surprising if true...and great since it's pretty cheap.

If anything I would go for the regular package than the upgraded one...unless the game is worth it of course.
Right, people need to take in to account the source.

Sorry but an Australian source is probably not the best for Nintendo info since they get hosed regularly there.

You can't make any references between NA pricing and Aus pricing. You can for Uk, Can and Jpn though.

Spades

GAME can't be having someone saying something positive about their company.

Shut it down.

If it turns out that GAME's release prices are £299/£349 then there would be plenty of people (on forums like this) calling them out and calling them scum for being higher than was "reported".

This information had no right being out in the wild - true or false.

I haven't had a chance to read through the thread yet but isn't the pound = dollar when it comes to retail pricing? Like if the premium switch is 249 dollars isn't it usually priced the same europe at 249 british pounds or 249 euro for other countries?

I know the 2 currencies aren't equal but I thought I always remembered Europeans getting screwed by having to pay more based off US > EU pricing. Am I wrong on this? Should we expect the Switch to be 199.99 and 249.99 USD? If so I'm ecstatic and 200 is impulse buy territory

pound = dollar wasn't usually a thing though thanks to brexit I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen now, its worth also mentioning that UK and European prices include tax at about 20% whereas American prices don't and a varying tax is then added on top when the customer buys it

Zedark

No, pound system prices are usually 50 lower than dollar and euro prices. The 199 pound will most likely translate to 249 dollars and 249 euros. It could be that after Brexit, but it is by no means common.

Soroc

pound = dollar wasn't usually a thing though thanks to brexit I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen now, its worth also mentioning that UK and European prices include tax at about 20% whereas American prices don't and a varying tax is then added on top when the customer buys it

No, pound system prices are usually 50 lower than dollar and euro prices. The 199 pound will most likely translate to 249 dollars and 249 euros. It could be that after Brexit, but it is by no means common.

Thanks to you both. Foggy memory these days! Forgot about VAT as well

I thought it was this way in the past too, but judging from other responses I guess it's not true. Either way I doubt we can take the US price as fact considering all of the currency fluctuations going on.

Anth0ny

That $300 model better come with 128GB internal storage.

I'd expect a larger SD card, yeah.

If I had to guess:

$249

-Switch w/dock
-Small SD card

$299

-Switch w/dock
-Larger SD card
-Pro Controller
-Bundled game

I wonder if that's realistic for only an extra $50. Or if the pro controller will come with the $249 SKU.

MacTag

Banned
Right, which is my point. Basic system may come with like an 8GB micro sd card for whatever, 32 internal based on rumors, premium comes with a game and a 32-64 micro sd card and 32 internal.

Is it optimal either way? No but it is the most probable.
Doubtful, including a larger microSD card would be more expensive per unit than just upping the internal memory. If Nintendo's even bothering with internal memory then I bet they don't include a card at all.

I'd expect a larger SD card, yeah.

If I had to guess:

$249

-Switch w/dock
-Small SD card

$299

-Switch w/dock
-Larger SD card
-Pro Controller
-Bundled game

I wonder if that's realistic for only an extra $50. Or if the pro controller will come with the $249 SKU.

I don't expect either SKU comes with a pro controller. Both SKUs probably come with the Joy-Cons and a Joy-Con Grip.

jonno394

If it turns out that GAME's release prices are £299/£349 then there would be plenty of people (on forums like this) calling them out and calling them scum for being higher than was "reported".

This information had no right being out in the wild - true or false.

alternatively, GAME could be trying to shut it down because Nintendo may have only discussed these things with them, and no other retailer, and thus they are worried that the fact this has leaked could damage their relationship with Nintendo/

Shiggy

For the New 3DS they already adjusted the conversion rate. Same is true for their latest game releases. New Nintendo 3DS XL and New Nintendo 3DS game bundles were 199.99 EUR and 179.99 GBP. And that was before Brexit.

And for PS4 and Xbox One, they can be found for 200 Euros and 200 GBP. There seems to be price parity already.

Falchion

$299

-Switch w/dock
-Larger SD card
-Pro Controller
-Bundled game

Yeah I'm not anticipating either bundle to have the pro controller which is a must buy for me so I'll have to tack on am extra $40 for whichever one I get.

sanstesy

But it can have an impact on it. I think Nintendo more than any other company knows the type of positive impact the correct bundle can have on the success of a console. Tetris bundled with the GB, Super Mario World bundled with the SNES and Wii Sports bundled with the Wii. Would those have still been successful even without bundles? Almost certainly. But I also feel that it was also very helpful for all of those systems to essentially have a showcase game that came with the system itself. By bundling a game like Wii Sports with the Wii it meant that people could take it home and immediately know exactly what Nintendo was trying to sell with the system as a whole. It was a perfect demonstration of the controls. It was obviously what they hoped that Nintendoland would do.

Yes? If you read a bit further, I said a good pack-in game/bundle can potentially give successful hardware an additional boost. Just that the new Zelda isn't the game to pack-in if they choose to go that route, which is why I originally addressed your post.

Spades

alternatively, GAME could be trying to shut it down because Nintendo may have only discussed these things with them, and no other retailer, and thus they are worried that the fact this has leaked could damage their relationship with Nintendo/

Exactly. But fuck GAME, right? Let people leak whatever they want. That's what we're supposed to think.

phanphare

Banned
I want to see what the additional storage works out to be for the upgraded version as well as the included game before I buy that one. Like many have said I doubt it's Zelda since they'll want to sell that separately.

I have a feeling it'll be Mario Kart 8

LordKano

Sorry but what exactly has this journalist been spot on about?

When the NX would be revealed and what was going to be in the trailer (Zelda, 3D Mario), the detachable controllers, that Beyond Good & Evil 2 actually exists, how the NX pad looked like (with notably the split D-Pad), and a lot of other stuff.

AntMurda

I have a feeling it'll be Mario Kart 8

We don't know what the launch games are yet. January 12th will probably hint at which game would be the pack-in.

If there is a mini-game comp (Mii Play, Mii Sports, Nintendo Land 2, etc) or a budget concept title (Steel Diver, etc). That would likely be the pack-in game. Especially since a new IP or a B-C IP aren't going to sell with Zelda and Mario Kart 8+ on the shelves. Nintendo isn't going to give you more memory and a 50-59$ for $50. More like memory and a $30-39 game for $50.

psyfi

Banned
Yeah I'm not anticipating either bundle to have the pro controller which is a must buy for me so I'll have to tack on am extra $40 for whichever one I get.
What if the joycon grip is actually comfortable? I'm gonna give it a chance before buying a pro controller probably.

Top Bottom