• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laura Dale: 2 Switch SKUs planned, UK Retailer GAME will sell at £199.99 and £249.99

tebunker

Banned
There's no reason for them to go with bundled SD cards this time around. They only did it with the 3DS because (afaik) it used a raw NAND chip with a separate controller, meaning it would have been potentially very difficult for them to offer SKUs with different capacities (they may have needed to produce different mainboards for each model). For the Wii U, however, they've used eMMC, which is a standardised form of flash memory which includes controller on-package and can cheaply and easily be swapped out for a different capacity (even from a different manufacturer if necessary). Hence why Wii U offered two models from day 1 which included different amounts of internal memory.

This time around Nintendo will either be using eMMC or (hopefully) UFS. eMMC is currently available in capacities up to 128GB, UFS up to 256GB, and UFS is capable of higher speeds than eMMC. Cost for UFS memory was about $7.25 for 32GB when the Galaxy S7 launched (a year before Switch), so probably below $5 for Switch, and lower again if they stick with eMMC. My guess is that we're looking at eMMC, with 32GB in the cheaper model and 128GB in the larger one. The cost difference to them should only be about $10, so it would be justifiable given the pack-in game. Ideally I'd like to see them use UFS, with 64GB in the base model and 256GB in the more expensive version, but I can't see them giving both that much extra memory and a pack-in game for an extra $/€/£ 50.

Interesting to know and glad someone actually spelled it out instead of just saying xyz is cheaper.

Would prefer higher internals too. Hopefully we get it.

At this point I am deciding on whether to save up now or wait 6 months after launch. I waited almost a year on WiiU and it paid off. Waited on Ps4 and it paid off again. So I am thinking regardless of price and lineup waiting is best.

This will sell like hotcakes, exactly what Nintendo wanted!

With the support that Nintendo is going to show , we will have a platform that will outsell Wii u in the first year!

Nintendo show the others how it is done. There are lots of surprises yet and I fully think that the Wii u loyalty and My Nintendo will change that price again.

Regarding the split controller thing. I believe the simple grip will be included buuuuut considering Wii did better than N64, GameCube, and Wii U combined, I'd say the split is more relevant for Nintendo home gamers of the last 20 years.
Unless you really want the pack-in the premium version makes little sense. If you want extra storage space you're going to be buying something else and not relying on what's internal.
Still, card+32 will always be less than card+64 or card+128 or whatever.
tebunker said:
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the extra storage is going to be a bigger SD Card. Not internal.

Could be wrong but it's just a gut feel and looking at prior Nintendo practices.
3DS never had basic/premium SKUs with different size SD cards, though eventual "New" systems had a larger one. Wii U did have basic/premium with different storage, and it was internal.

A larger SD card would be a less attractive option anyway since that's the part the crazier downloaders are going to be replacing anyway.

Mario Kart also seems more likely because it's obviously an extended/enhanced port of Mario Kart 8, an already finished game. Most of the bulk has already been done, they're just adding on to it.

I know Emily Rogers said its an enhanced port, but honestly looking at the Splatoon footage we got in the trailer, it could very well just be a full fledged sequel, which may require more time to make.

yyr

MK8 or Splatoon will be a pack-in game. Mark my words!

Both would be even better. Unlikely, but why not?

If they're not going to price it within impulse-buy range ($199), then maybe shipping with a pair of pack-ins would help. Non-traditional, sure, but so is Nintendo.

I feel like they should storm out of the gate, giving folks as many reasons to buy this as possible. Come on, Nintendo, make me interested.

Opa-Pa

Those prices sound good, I may end up getting a premium package if it has enough value for that price... However I really hope they drop their trend of including digital versions with their bundles, otherwise they can forget about it lol.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I've heard this before on the WiiU.

I bet UK retailers will start at £249 and £299.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm still not entirely convinced Nintendo won't build on MK8 and Splatoon to the extent that they can get away with calling it a sequel. Both franchises wouldn't be obscenely early as sequels starting this holiday season.

Smash will clearly be a port. Not convinced on the other 2.

Anth0ny

There's no reason for them to go with bundled SD cards this time around. They only did it with the 3DS because (afaik) it used a raw NAND chip with a separate controller, meaning it would have been potentially very difficult for them to offer SKUs with different capacities (they may have needed to produce different mainboards for each model). For the Wii U, however, they've used eMMC, which is a standardised form of flash memory which includes controller on-package and can cheaply and easily be swapped out for a different capacity (even from a different manufacturer if necessary). Hence why Wii U offered two models from day 1 which included different amounts of internal memory.

This time around Nintendo will either be using eMMC or (hopefully) UFS. eMMC is currently available in capacities up to 128GB, UFS up to 256GB, and UFS is capable of higher speeds than eMMC. Cost for UFS memory was about $7.25 for 32GB when the Galaxy S7 launched (a year before Switch), so probably below $5 for Switch, and lower again if they stick with eMMC. My guess is that we're looking at eMMC, with 32GB in the cheaper model and 128GB in the larger one. The cost difference to them should only be about $10, so it would be justifiable given the pack-in game. Ideally I'd like to see them use UFS, with 64GB in the base model and 256GB in the more expensive version, but I can't see them giving both that much extra memory and a pack-in game for an extra $/€/£ 50.

this is really interesting and I hope you're right.

I'm still not entirely convinced Nintendo won't build on MK8 and Splatoon to the extent that they can get away with calling it a sequel. Both franchises wouldn't be obscenely early as sequels starting this holiday season.

Smash will clearly be a port. Not convinced on the other 2.

Splatoon is one thing but Mario Kart Switch is very clearly an extended/enhanced port of MK8. Same models, same HUD, same sound effects, etc the only major differences are the inclusion of King Boo and the double item system.

Hutchie

£249 is not a bad price at all,if they can squeeze a bit more battery power out (5 hours please) then my purchase is guaranteed

Harmen

So this will probably mean 250 and 300 dollars then? That seems ok pricing. Not special, but also a price that will not detract much from launch window sales, I feel.

EhoaVash

hm with ps4s/ xbox one s selling at $250 this holiday season switch being at $250 isn't looking so hot, sure these are black friday deals but next year the prices will probably go down to that permanently, $250 is great for the current nintendo stronghold but for people already into the ps4/xbox systems, they won't making the switch lol, $200 or bust for a handheld.

phanphare

Banned
Mario Kart also seems more likely because it's obviously an extended/enhanced port of Mario Kart 8, an already finished game. Most of the bulk has already been done, they're just adding on to it.

I know Emily Rogers said its an enhanced port, but honestly looking at the Splatoon footage we got in the trailer, it could very well just be a full fledged sequel, which may require more time to make.

I think emily rogers is solid so I tend to agree that it'll be enhanced port however I think it'll be enhanced enough to where they can just call it Splatoon Switch or whatever and be fine, thus blurring the lines a bit.

Trago

$250 base price would seem reasonable. I'm more interested to see how that higher priced sku turns out. There needs to be great value to start out with.

That goodness this thing wont be super expensive.

Chiming in here to say that I still fully expect this to be priced at $249 and $299 in the U.S. at launch. Here's what I think the configuration will be:

Base Model:
- $249.99
- Includes Switch console with Joy-cons L and R, as well as the dock
- 32Gb built-in memory
- pack-in game

Deluxe Model:
- $299.99
- Includes Switch console with Joy-con L and R, dock, Joy-con grip
- 64Gb built-in memory
- pack-in game

I do not personally expect to see any launch bundle that contains the Pro controller.

Genio88

Where are all the 350/400$ pessimistic gaffer now? I've always been saying it was gonna be 249$ and 299$ at most, of course it's still just a rumor, though i'll turn to be true. I'm in with the 299 model of the storage will be significantly bigger(a 64GB instead of 32GB wouldn't be enough for me) and there will be a game i want in that bundle, if not i could just go with the cheaper one and put 128GB micro sd into it...January 13 will never come soon enough

Neoxon

Chiming in here to say that I still fully expect this to be priced at $249 and $299 in the U.S. at launch. Here's what I think the configuration will be:

Base Model:
- $249.99
- 32Gb built-in memory
- pack-in game

Deluxe Model:
- $299.99
- 64Gb built-in memory
- pack-in game

I do not personally expect to see any launch bundle that contains the Pro controller.
Wouldn't including the Joy-Con Grip out of the base model help with the whole hybrid idea?

Trago

A 3D Mario pack-in would be insane. That's wishful thinking. It would probably be something like Nintendo Land 2.

Pastry

Banned

Base Model:
- $249.99
- 32Gb built-in memory
- pack-in game

Deluxe Model:
- $299.99
- 64Gb built-in memory
- pack-in game

There is no way the grip isn't included with both.

As much as I would like the included game to be Zelda or Mario, I expect it might be Splatoon.

I doubt they will give away their big guns on launch day, without a premium on that price.

Genio88

Base Model:
- $249.99
- 32Gb built-in memory
- pack-in game

Deluxe Model:
- $299.99
- 64Gb built-in memory
- pack-in game

Pretty much what i think too, though i think the base model will include the joy-cons grip too, it's essential of you play with Switch docked, also it's included in every official promotional photo, they won't sell a SKU where you'll have to use the joy-cons separately to play on the TV.
That said, to me the included game will be crucial, if it's gonna be a game i want, like the new Mario, Zelda BOTW or whatever then i'm in for it, but if it's gonna be a game i'm not into then i'd go with the base model since the difference between 32 and 64GB isn't that much and i'd have to buy a 30$ 128GB micro sd anyway sooner or later

Genio88

A 3D Mario pack-in would be insane. That's wishful thinking. It would probably be something like Nintendo Land 2.

And in that case, assuming also that the storage difference will just be 32GB/64GB, i'd go with the base version, saving those 50$ for a game i really want, and putting a 128GB micro SD when i'll need more storage

As much as I would the included game to be Zelda or Mario, I expect it might be Splatoon.

And that would be fine by me, i'd definitely go with the pro bundle in that case

Wouldn't including the Joy-Con Grip out of the base model help with the whole hybrid idea?

It would certainly "help", but I don't think it defines that idea. The 3-minute video showed us some proof that the Joy-con L and R controllers will work just fine without the grip. I'd love to be proven wrong here, but I just don't see them giving us a bundle that has the Pro controller. Please prove me wrong Nintendo, please.

yyr

hm with ps4s/ xbox one s selling at $250 this holiday season switch being at $250 isn't looking so hot, sure these are black friday deals but next year the prices will probably go down to that permanently, $250 is great for the current nintendo stronghold but for people already into the ps4/xbox systems, they won't making the switch lol, $200 or bust for a handheld.

This is exactly why I've been saying "$199 or bust."

For those people who are only interested in a console, it needs to hold up to X1/PS4 in terms of value for money. At $249, that's a challenge. At $299, it becomes very difficult.

marmoka

Banned
I already have Mario Kart 8, so I don't see the point on getting a MK8 Switch bundle. I rather get a Switch with no packed game than the same game again.

New 3D Mario or Zelda would be enough to make me preorder it, or maybe not...
If there aren't any interesting games at launch, better to get the Wiiu version of Zelda.

Speely

Banned
It would certainly "help", but I don't think it defines that idea. The 3-minute video showed us some proof that the Joy-con L and R controllers will work just fine without the grip. I'd love to be proven wrong here, but I just don't see them giving us a bundle that has the Pro controller. Please prove me wrong Nintendo, please.

I feel like it was all-but-confirmed by the joy con grip mode being the very first play style we see in the video. Nintendo is specifically not trying to send mixed signals this time.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

For those people who are only interested in a console, it needs to hold up to X1/PS4 in terms of value for money. At $249, that's a challenge. At $299, it becomes very difficult.

Not the first fiscal year if you have Zelda, Smash, Mario Kart, 3D Mario, Splatoon, and whatever other first party games Nintendo releases. After the first fiscal year, you can start worrying about impulse buyers and the less fanatical consumers.

I feel like it was all-but-confirmed by the joy con grip mode being the very first play style we see in the video. Nintendo is specifically not trying to send mixed signals this time.

If Nintendo really meant to be that direct with the video, I think it would be safe to assume the Pro controller comes with the "Deluxe" model. While I would love for that to be true, I'll stand strong in my belief until they say otherwise.

Not the first fiscal year if you have Zelda, Smash, Mario Kart, 3D Mario, Splatoon, and whatever other first party games Nintendo releases. After the first fiscal year, you can start worrying about impulse buyers and the less fanatical consumers.

Indeed, but a price drop shortly after launch might be bad for optics and may not instill consumer confidence

Principate

Saint Titanfall

But it's not a pure console. So you can't compare it like for like price-wise. The majority of consumers interested won't buy it as a console. If they were they'd be better off buying a XB1 or a PS4 regardless of the switches price because of games ecosystem and comparative price for power. So there's no point even pretending like that's what a consumer would be interested in. it will live and die on it's hybrid nature and how well it pulls off being a handheld and a console and the software library behind. Not how well it poorly imitates something it's clearly not.

If the Switch was a set-top box with just a TV-out, I would agree with you wholeheartedly. Due to the "hybrid" form factor, I think Nintendo has more room in the pricing range. I don't think they could go any higher than $299, but to suggest that it's DOA at anything other than $199 seems silly.

That's like saying that an iPad/Android tablet need to hold up to desktop PC in terms of value for money.

Indeed, but a price drop shortly after launch might be bad for optics and may not instill consumer confidence

Case in point - the 3DS. I don't think Nintendo wants to have another Ambassador Program scenario.

For those people who are only interested in a console, it needs to hold up to X1/PS4 in terms of value for money.

IMO people who are only interested in a single console aren't going to be buying this thing no matter what it costs. However, I think for Nintendo-friendly casuals and people who are interested in Nintendo games in either console or handheld forms, these prices are fine for a second console/handheld purchase, or for the kids by the casual parents.

Basically, the Wii audience is the same audience here. I'm NOT saying the Switch will be successful, but I'm saying that the pricing on offer here is not going to be the major stumbling block. It will be other factors.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
IMO people who are only interested in a single console aren't going to be buying this thing no matter what it costs. However, I think for Nintendo-friendly casuals and people who are interested in Nintendo games in either console or handheld forms, these prices are fine for a second console/handheld purchase, or for the kids by the casual parents.

Basically, the Wii audience is the same audience here. I'm NOT saying the Switch will be successful, but I'm saying that the pricing on offer here is not going to be the major stumbling block. It will be other factors.

It shouldn't try to be a second handheld but the first. Console capability secondary (which is essentially what it is in concept). This thing is a glorified handheld so Nintendo's best bet would be treat it as a handheld with the advantage of doubling as a console hence the increased price. Trying to be secondary anything is a losing proposition.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
The Switch's strengths are also its weaknesses.

Its unique nature as a hybrid could be seen as a strength. A powerful handheld that can also be played on the TV.

That is also a weakness. It is a big handheld with a perceived poor battery life in a market where handhelds are struggling. It is an underpowered console compared to the rest of the market.

It needs to be super cheap and have a fuck ton of games people will want.

The market has shown that people are not willing to pay for new Nintendo hardware to play Nintendo games (oddly, the market has shown it is willing to pay for a cheap emu box for old Nintendo shit).

$250-300? That is not going to fly.

Top Bottom