• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laura Dale: 2 Switch SKUs planned, UK Retailer GAME will sell at £199.99 and £249.99

Where the UK is concerned, it's not the price of the hardware I'm worried about, but whether the software will stay at launch price for years on end and rarely go on sale. That's usually how things go down here, and it's a huge turn-off for me.

goldenpp72

Where the UK is concerned, it's not the price of the hardware I'm worried about, but whether the software will stay at launch price for years on end and rarely go on sale. That's usually how things go down here, and it's a huge turn-off for me.

That's worldwide for Nintendo, and the games are good enough to justify it.

I'm probably gonna opt for the cheaper bundle, if storage space and a pack-in game are the only bonuses. I plan on buying large a micro-SD card from the start anyway and only buy games I'm super excited for at launch

sanstesy

They only get one chance to do a first time launch with the game. And their 30th Anniversary for the series has been pretty pitiful given how important Zelda is to Nintendo. This would make up for it. I'm just looking at it from the perspective of how do they make sure that it flies off the shelves, and then continues to whenever it's restocked.

A port is certainly more likely for the reasons you've mentioned. But I think Zelda would be a much bigger system seller given that it's completely new and is going to have a ton of hype behind it.

The 30th anniversary of a franchise being "pitiful" is so irrelevant to this decision it's honestly laughable to even bring it up. Zelda is already a system seller to an core audience that generally won't care about bundles and they also don't have to make up for something ultimately no one cares about.

Zelda is a well-known franchise, but not a casual-friendly IP with wide-spread appeal. It's still a hardcore-ish game with a harsh ceiling when it comes to appeal that wouldn't have the same effect a bundled multiplayer game a la Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros or even Splatoon would have. It being bundled won't suddenly make the Switch "fly off shelves". It already does that by being not bundled as it is a hardcore game with an extremely devoted fanbase.

MarionCB

This directly converts to $335 and $420 in AUD. The GAME price should include the quite high 20% UK VAT too, right? This isn't a bad price, though it makes the premium the same as a Xbone S/PS4 slim bundle. I'd have to think about it; $350 for the premium would probably be a definite buy for me (assuming region-free).

If this UK pricing is true, I'm still expecting it to translate to $400/$500 in Australia though, because of the "Fuck you, you live in Australia" effect that seems to apply to everything.

Hmmm, I've seen games get price cuts on Amazon US way more frequently than the UK counterpart. Nintendo first-party prices remain quite rigid here throughout the years.

And the second part of your sentence is your own opinion and entirely subjective.

I mean, I love Mario Kart 8 a lot, and I got both DLC packs, but a Mario Kart 8+ as a pack-in wouldn't be all that appealing to me. Sure, they have to entice new players, but they have to attract people who own a Wii U already too, there are some of us out there.

This is how I feel. I know it makes sense to push the ports that those who never owned a Wii U skipped, but I'm really hoping there's some kind of new and exclusive IP to tempt me.

Zemm

I hope the pack-in game is Mario Kart. Mario Kart 8 is one of my games of the gen and I'd happily buy a new version with some additions.

That's a nice price. I can see myself getting it in December next year, with Zelda and a new Mario and hopefully a new Animal Crossing, Unpacking that next to a Christmas tree will add to that Nintendo magic.

Hope it does well for Nintendos sake.

Zedark

250€ with a game would be great for me, I expected at least 300€ with a game.

It is the 249 pounds SKU that includes a game, so that would probably (not certainly) converts to 300 euros SKU with game. Your expectations are probably correct in this case.

I doubt Mario Kart 8 would be a pack-in, it would shift hardware on its own while also being a standalone product. It's also not the best title to communicate everything the Switch offers, like free-form motion controls.

KAL2006

Banned

No doubt the games are good but we are used to getting even good games drop in price in the UK. You can get games like Uncharted 4, BloodBorne and etc for a extremely cheap price. Also there are tons of sales on PSN. Nintendo just seem to never drop there priced and their sales on rhe digital store has nothing on PSN.

No way this launches for cheaper than Wii-U. Impossible.

It's easily possible. Wii U used a lot of nonstandard and bespoke parts, which no other company would use and weren't being manufactured in enough quantities (i.e. the Wii U market) to come down in price.

Malakai

I dont think we will have a SKU with 128gb flash internal memory anytime soon since it would be quite expensive for such a device. If you are interested digital downloads you are supposed to get a bigger Micro SD card. You can get 128gb micro sd card for 20 bucks and 256gb for under 50 by the time Switch launches.

There have been a increase in the price for nand flash memory. I doubt 128 GB will be going for $20 USD more like $35 to $45 USD for 128 GB and $70 to $80 USD for 200 GB.

Jonnax

Wow. Well I'm sold day one.

Hopefully all this neogaf hype doesn't translate to too many sales because I want to be playing Zelda on day 1.

Can anyone confirm what is the standard going rate for a PS4 in UK.

Depends on the model, and what kind of model. £230 can nab you the 500 GB Infinite Warfare console and Battlefront at GAME. Argos have the same console but no Battlefront. Prices from there can range all the way to £300. Generally hovers around the 240-250 range though, I'd say.

Can one fail at reading more than this? How is this even possible?
man.. if the pack-in is nintendo-land level it amounts to a no-game for me, as well as other reader on gaf..
don't always go assuming..
for me a game is a proper game, not a game just showcasing the console "strong points" while leveraging on some of the most loved characters :)
I'd glad to be corrected, if the packin is even simply an enhanced port (splatoon? mario kart? smash? whatever) but I higly doubt they'll burn a system-seller game as a pack-in in the starting bundle...

so, given my criteria of judgement, i stand on my position..
can we just agree politely to disagree without implying that "i fail at reading", man?
Unlike many others, wii sports for me was a novelty that wore me down in 2-3 play sessions, unless I had some friends come over that wanted to try it... nintendoland was something that lasted a bit more, but after playing it no more than a few times, I already outgrow any interest in it...

Am I not allowed to have a different opinion and state things under the assumption that for me nintendoland and wiisports were not "games" but simply POC(proof of concept)-quality deliverable?

Jameson

Depends on the model, and what kind of model. £230 can nab you the 500 GB Infinite Warfare console and Battlefront at GAME. Argos have the same console but no Battlefront. Prices from there can range all the way to £300. Generally hovers around the 240-250 range though, I'd say.

You can get it for 200£.

IIRC, £250ish for a slim, 350 for a pro. Prices of Ps4 changes wildly here though due to bundles and sales

Thanks for the info!

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
man.. if the pack-in is nintendo-land level it amounts to a no-game for me, as well as other reader on gaf..
for me a game is a proper game, not a game just showcasing the console "strong points" while leveraging on some of the most loved characters :)
I'd glad to be corrected, if the packin is even simply an enhanced port (splatoon? mario kart? smash? whatever) but I higly doubt they'll burn a system-seller game as a pack-in in the starting bundle...

can we just agree politely to disagree without implying that "i fail at reading", man?
Unlike many others, wii sports for me was a novelty that wore me down in 2-3 play sessions, unless I had some friends come over that wanted to try it... nintendoland was something that lasted a bit more, but after playing it no more than a few times, I already outgrow any interest in it...

Am I not allowed to have a different opinion and state things under the assumption that for me nintendoland and wiisports were not "games" but simply POC(proof of concept)-quality deliverable?
It's not an opinion, those were games, bro.

No way this launches for cheaper than Wii-U. Impossible.

The Wii U was stupidly over priced so I'd hope switch launches cheaper.

It can't afford to get much closer to £300 since you can bet with deals or bundles you'll be able to get a PS4 Pro for that close to March.

I only paid £320 for my PS4 Pro.

KAL2006

Banned
I could see Nintendo putting Mario Kart in the cheaper bundle and Zelda in the premium bundle.

Wow talk about ridiculous expectations.

Nintendo want people to actually buy games near launch.

Don't expect more than a mini game compilation bundle for premium model and nothing for basic.

Hermii

I'd assume the premium version would have MK bundled if true, would be the most casual/hardcore mix title to pack in and if it's just an enhanced port, not too costly.

On the other hand MK8 didnt sell the Wii U, why would an enchanced port sell the switch?

I would bet its a New game.

Edit: Will there be any surprises at all at the January event? :(

Matt

LKD continues to impress me with her info. This is in line with what I have heard, though changes are still possible.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Man, the premium SKU is suppose to be 249 pounds not 299 pounds as you wrote, man. Read again, man. And it suppose to have a game included as opposed to what you again wrote, man. So yeah, you have failed at reading. Twice.

Now, you don't even know what game that is, so your opinion is not even a legit opinion, is you speculating and assuming the worse, on top of not reading the OP or the article linked in the OP.

jonno394

Man, the premium SKU is suppose to be 249 pounds not 299 pounds as you wrote, man. Read again, man. And it suppose to have a game included as opposed to what you again wrote, man. So yeah, you have failed at reading. Twice.

Now, you don't even know what game that is, so your opinion is not even a legit opinion, is you speculating and assuming the worse, on top of not reading the OP or the article linked in the OP.

Was about to post something to this effect, but you got there first :p

KAL2006

Banned
Bundle game idea that uses IPs from Nintendo

- Metroid Deathmatch FPS (Dual Analogs/Pointer)
- Wii Sports Table Tennis (Motion)
- Checkers (Touch)
- Table Ice Hockey (Touch)
- Waverace (Analog/Gyro)
- Duck Hunt (Pointer)
- Punch Out (Motion)

goldenpp72

No doubt the games are good but we are used to getting even good games drop in price in the UK. You can get games like Uncharted 4, BloodBorne and etc for a extremely cheap price. Also there are tons of sales on PSN. Nintendo just seem to never drop there priced and their sales on rhe digital store has nothing on PSN.

Nintendo games don't sell to the same audience, games like Mario which have sold 10 and 20 million units, often don't sell near what other AAA games do. Most AAA titles are front loaded due to the demographic having a lot of adults with money, where as Nintendo titles have their dedicated base but are largely sold to children over a long period of time. It's this reason that Nintendo avoids dropping their prices, because they know their stuff will slow at a decent pace.

Let's look at Splatoon, it didn't exactly light the charts on fire compared to the likes of other AAA games initially, but it's now likely to outsell or closely match titles like Halo 5, Gears, and Uncharted in sales, it's just a different way of doing business. Zelda is likely Nintendo's most front loaded series in the US, and the one that aligns most with that demographic.

Of course, a lot of that is guess work but, i'm pretty sure most would agree if you look at the sales. Nintendo creates evergreen titles (or tries to) like Minecraft and GTA are, and I I don't think their retail price has officially dropped yet right?

The Wii U was stupidly over priced so I'd hope switch launches cheaper.

It can't afford to get much closer to £300 since you can bet with deals or bundles you'll be able to get a PS4 Pro for that close to March.

I only paid £320 for my PS4 Pro.

Wii U was sold at a loss for a while.

The rumours are that nvidia gave nintendo a great deal to get a design win for tegra, so the OP prices sound possible anyway.

Top Bottom