• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laura Dale: NX battery 3 hours max on dev kit, dock improves performance, touchscreen

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxfool

Banned
If this is true, it baffles me.

It's 2016. Decades ago we put men on the Moon and now a robot is driving around on Mars, but we still don't have good enough (small) batteries to last more than a few hours in a smartphone or handheld? Or is it just a matter of cost/pricing and we have the technology?

Battery technology (and energy storage in general) has pretty much lagged most other fields.

Of course it is improving, but nowhere near at the same rate as everything else.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I expected 3 hours. I wonder if the battery is easy to switch out? I always carry a spare mobile phone battery with me.

Rappy

You were pessimisric so you consider it something bad, As others I suppose
but looking at my portables and thinking about the different play styles o the Switch I am not that worried (nor thrilled )
Pessimism doesn't necessarily mean they think it is bad. He's just being realistic. And he's right, you shouldn't see/expect a huge improvement because the reasons you listed. 3DS and Vita. Battery technology has still not evolved drastically.

You were pessimisric so you consider it something bad, As others I suppose
but looking at my portables and thinking about the different play styles o the Switch I am not that worried (nor thrilled )

I'm pessimistic that the retail unit is going to fare a lot better than the current report. That doesn't mean that I think the reported 3 hours is objectively bad. In fact, I'm not arguing that at all as I'm trying to make it clear that I think it's a reasonable expectation.

Oersted

I will be happy for my pessimism to be proven wrong, but I think you really need to brace yourself for the fact that the retail unit might not fare much better. I get it. As a sanity check I absolutely do think it's worthwhile to note that this is based on dev units and that things may be changed before the retail hardware is finalized. But one Tweet you are citing right now flat out says that the Ubi dev doesn't expect much improvement in the retail unit.

Troughout the thread I stated multiple times the battery life could be worse. But both, better or worse battery life, are currently irrelevant.

The entire thread premise(or well the main topic) is based on one secondhand estimate based on one developer kit.

We are lacking context, details and the final consumer device.

When all is said and done, the battery life of the Nintendo Switch could be 5 minutes.

But as it is, her tweets and article are not going to tell us. It is incredible premature and goes against journalistic standards.

PS: I expect the battery life to be around 2 hours lol

I suspect it will charge in the docking station via induction.

If it is like the 3ds dock, it will be brass prongs that can touch to produce that charge, as long as they release an accessory to mitigate that aspect of the dock for prolonged portable play, then my erec... excitement is back to full force.

ClearData

Nintendo is in a no-win situation.

Make the hardware powerful...folks complain about battery life.

Make the hardware battery efficient...folks complain about it's power.

They decided to make a hybrid device that is going to be seen as a portable console. That is going to bring certain expectations I think. So if people are going to consider traveling with yet another device they might make a comparison between the Switch, a 3DS, an iPad, an iPhone and so on and so forth. A hardcore gamer might make that trade off, but would a parent or other casual audience member? They might just hand their kid a phone or iPad on a long flight and know it'll run for six plus hours.

Circinus

I think the main reason you don't launch with a TV box is that up 'til now not a single one has proven overly successful. I don't think a single Apple TV or Android box has gone over very well. Shield TV hasn't. Vita TV certainly didn't make any noise. The Switch may very well not go over well either, but I think there's enough data out there now to support that a low end console isn't going to fly on its own.

They don't really have anything to lose. They can only increase the potential amount of consumers by making a cheaper, non-portable version of the Switch à la Vita TV. Taking the Switch hardware and putting it another housing without a display and battery doesn't require a large financial investment in terms of R&D.

Vita TV might not have been a huge financial success, but it isn't like it caused them a financial loss either considering the low investment in marketing and development.

And Apple TV has sold 25 million units which isn't too shabby.

Flo_Evans

"but...its nintendo." says the youth Flo Evans, who ignores that every single handheld allows you to charge on the go including the 3DS.

yes, the nintendo that didn't include an AC adapter with the n3DS and doesn't sell an official car charge kit. That nintendo.

Also I am nearly 40... buying this for my kids (maybe) lol.

a916

Sounds like it has to make a compromise, neither of which appeases everyone. Like you said, a no win situation.

And Apple TV has sold 25 million units which isn't too shabby.

I get confused by brandings, but there was a different Apple TV product prior to that device that launched in... what 2014 or 2015? Like they had a set top box before they released the iOS box that connected to a TV to compete with Roku and Amazon Fire boxes right?

Oersted

yes, the nintendo that didn't include an AC adapter with the n3DS and doesn't sell an official car charge kit. That nintendo.

Also I am nearly 40... buying this for my kids (maybe) lol.

To both of you, extrapolating a company's moves in detail based on their past is a rather silly endavor.

I was there when people expected PS4 having free online MP and BC.

Ricker

Battery technology (and energy storage in general) has pretty much lagged most other fields.

Of course it is improving, but nowhere near at the same rate as everything else.

This is true...I wonder why though...something somewhere holding things down.

Could have reduced the screen size a little bit to around 5-6 inches, lower the resolution to 540p, and make it thicker(and more ergonomic) to allow a larger battery. People say there are no gimmicks this time with the Switch, but those detachable controllers are a gimmick and very few people are going to play with it like that, so I don't think it was worth the cost of better ergonomics and a good dpad.

Rayis

I mean, considering this a really powerful portable, 3 hours sounds just right,you people are expecting too much.

I'm probably always going to use it docked anyway, I have a 3DS but I literally never take it outside

It's less silly than expectations based on hopes and dreams though. Really, it's the least silly form of speculation.

Just out of curiosity, do you put any stock into the notion that a different version of the Tegra chipset might yield a significant boost? I don't know enough about mobile architecture myself to make heads or tails of this stuff. So I'm just anticipating the worst but hoping for the best.

I get confused by brandings, but there was a different Apple TV product prior to that device that launched in... what 2014 or 2015? Like they had a set top box before they released the iOS box that connected to a TV to compete with Roku and Amazon Fire boxes right?

They had three generations of a closed-system Apple TV box that was still based on iOS under the hood, but was more limited. The new one added third-party apps + Siri + motion controller.

Could have reduced the screen size a little bit to around 5-6 inches, lower the resolution to 540p, and make it thicker(and more ergonomic) to allow a larger battery. People say there are no gimmicks this time with the Switch, but those detachable controllers are a gimmick and very few people are going to play with it like that, so I don't think it was worth the cost of better ergonomics and a good dpad.

Yeah like the ds4 touchpad is a gimmick. Come one, this can't get in the way of a serious will to port a game...

OCD Guy

The entire thread premise(or well the main topic) is based on one secondhand estimate based on one developer kit.

We are lacking context, details and the final consumer device.

Exactly.

I'm shocked that a rumour is being taken as fact. It seems rumours only need to be treated as such when it suits someone.

Laura seems to be getting a free pass for some reason, when in the past regardless of someone's previous track record rumours were always treated as such.

At this stage we still don't know what the 3 hours battery life consisted of. Was it 3 hours of continuous gameplay? 3d game? Full brightness? Wi-fi enabled? Or is it 3 hours standby?

To me it reads as off the cuff remarks with no substance, "maximum battery life of three hours" "a mediocre battery life".

As I said earlier it's kinda like me throwing a random 20 mpg when talking about a car. It means nothing, what sort of driving get's 20mpg isn't that more important than the figure itself? Is that 20mpg cruising at 50mph on the highway? Or 20mpg redlining the gears around town lol?

Same principle applies here, would I really get 3 hours max if I was playing a game like downwell at minimum brightness with wi-fi off?

Also what does the Nintendo guy deem as mediocre? If you go by this thread some people think 3 hours is shitty, others think it's reasonable. I'd like to know what the guy at Nintendo thinks maximum battery life is. Mediocre tells me nothing.

Exactly.

I'm shocked that a rumour is being taken as fact. It seems rumours only need to be treated as such when it suits someone.

Laura seems to be getting a free pass for some reason, when in the past regardless of someone's previous track record rumours were always treated as such.

At this stage we still don't know what the 3 hours battery life consisted of. Was it 3 hours of continuous gameplay? 3d game? Full brightness? Wi-fi enabled?

To me it reads as off the cuff remarks with no substance, "maximum battery life of three hours" "a mediocre battery life".

As I said earlier it's kinda like me throwing a random 20 mpg when talking about a car. It means nothing, what sort of driving get's 20mpg isn't that more important than the figure itself? Is that 20mpg cruising at 50mph on the highway?

Same principle applies here, would I really get 3 hours max if I was playing a game like downwell at minimum brightness with wi-fi off?

We don't know but it's fun to say that nintendo dropped the ball again
/s

People always say "it's Nintendo."

But the fact they revealed a hardware that looks sleek and premium rather than a fisher price toy is fucking amazing.

I can't imagine the amount of people expecting a plastic looking toy that looked like ass compared to the bunch of mockups.

Or just keep portable and home separate.

Wii U's problem is the tablet, and consumers ate the cost of that.

Nintendo's selling point is their exclusives, but they keep going for these gimmicks.

Or just keep portable and home separate.

Wii U's problem is the tablet, and consumers ate the cost of that.

Nintendo's selling point is their exclusives, but they keep going for these gimmicks.

Then they would have the problem of stretching their resources thin.

There's a reason why they went for a hybrid.

In the reveal trailer it really does look like the frame rate dropped when the guy switched from breath of the wild on the tv to the portable.

They had three generations of a closed-system Apple TV box that was still based on iOS under the hood, but was more limited. The new one added third-party apps + Siri + motion controller.

OK. Yeah. Thanks. So three generations of the hardware didn't play games at all. I think I probably need to be more clear. I get that there's demand for boxes or HDMI sticks that have media capabilities. I've not seen any evidence of a demand for cheap Android/iOS TV boxes that have a focus on gaming.

EVH

In the reveal trailer it really does look like the frame rate dropped when the guy switched from breath of the wild on the tv to the portable.

Do not worry about the framerate there. I'm surprised they showed it like that, but it is pretty obvious that all footage was just edited in after filming the scene.

Something that would be nice is if they consider a better story mode for Splatoon and maybe another one for Mario Kart too. I still remember how much enjoyed the missions in Mario Kart DS and something similar a la story mode would be great.

well, that's a little low for a handheld. I guess that's what you get by synching the TV and playing a demanding game. Probably it last longer when playing your usual handheld game

The dock having additional procession power makes sense to me. The first thing noticed was the docks odd shape and relative bulk for a device that only provides charging and HDMI out. I just wonder how the hand over would be handled?

OCD Guy

Do not worry about the framerate there. I'm surprised they showed it like that, but it is pretty obvious that all footage was just edited in after filming the scene.

Like you say it's very unlikely that it was live gameplay. The actors probably had nothing on the screen at all.

Anyway I'm gonna sound like a Nintendo apologist but I swear that's some sort of slow motion effect as opposed to framerate drop too. I guess people are talking about when he jumps up to fire his arrow? If so that looks slow motion on purpose.

BBboy20

Was it by choice or is it that big because that's the closest they can get of shrinking a home console to fit into your pocket?

Honestly, I dont care about 3 hours. Thats fine. With the power this portable will have if the rumors are correct, thats perfectly fine with me.

Im far, FAR more worried about the quality of the screen itself. This is where Nintendo has constantly fallen down over itself. What are the viewing angles? What are the Contrast ratios? What is the color temperature and color accuracy?

Those are the questions I personally care about. If we get a well calibrated, high performing screen (720p) that is the far more exciting piece of information in all of this to me.

hesido

These stuff are probably NDA'd to hell and back and for good reasons, I don't think the consumer product should be judged by the DevKit. Isn't Laura Dale trashing these NDA's, or is she doing this by proxy?

Just out of curiosity, do you put any stock into the notion that a different version of the Tegra chipset might yield a significant boost? I don't know enough about mobile architecture myself to make heads or tails of this stuff. So I'm just anticipating the worst but hoping for the best.

Offhand I can tell you that the X2 gives a more significant power boost with better energy efficiency. Basically it'll get closer to the power of an Xbox One at the same battery potential of an X1. It's sort of moot because NVidia already confirms that what they made for Nintendo is inherently custom, but if they're based on Pascal, they can possibly have the same yield.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
These stuff are probably NDA'd to hell and back and for good reasons, I don't think the consumer product should be judged by the DevKit. Isn't Laura Dale trashing these NDA's, or is she doing this by proxy?

Read the article linked in the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom