• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laura Kate Dale : March 17th is Nintendo Switch's release date

Mario 3D World will make a great launch game. Every Wii U title deserves a 2nd chance. Mario 3D World being 4 played would work well with the detachable controllers. Another game that could work for launch is Poochy and Yoshi's Wooly World which is coming out non 3DS in February but the Wii U version ported with the 3DS version content makes sense. It's also 2 players which is percent for the split controllers.

They're not going to port 3D World. It doesn't make sense. They'd be better off remastering Galaxy/2.

Mario will be the huge holiday title, no doubt about it.
Yeah, it's going to be holiday. They'll do the full reveal at E3.

KAL2006

Banned
They already seem to have a brand new Mario title for the first year ready - they wont port 3D World over. Splatoon, Mario Kart and Smash make sense since those are multiplayer evergreens that can get updated via DLC.

They don't need to port anything over anything. They will just port everything that makes financial sense. The Mario game shown doesn't look anything like 3D World. Looks more like a single player game similar to Galaxy and 64. It wouldn't be the first time Nintendo release 2 Mario games in the same year. Especially if one of them is a port I don't see the big issue. Mario 3D World makes sense as it's a huge game that didn't get enough attention. And they can bank on it as a launch title that makes use of the big feature for Switch which is local multiplayer on the portable using the Joy Cons.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
They don't need to port anything over anything. They will just port everything that makes financial sense. The Mario game shown doesn't look anything like 3D World. Looks more like a single player game similar to Galaxy and 64. It wouldn't be the first time Nintendo release 2 Mario games in the same year. Especially if one of them is a port I don't see the big issue. Mario 3D World makes sense as it's a huge game that didn't get enough attention. And they can bank on it as a launch title that makes use of the big feature for Switch which is local multiplayer on the portable using the Joy Cons.

I dont see them porting over every WiiU title just because it makes financial sense - they probably want people to try out new Switch experiences and play 3rd Party games as well. If at all i would say Mario Maker has a bigger shot being brought over ...and after the Galaxy/64 Type Mario they can work on reintroducing 2D Mario with a new look.

Dont get me wrong - 3D World on Switch would be cool, like many other games but they already have a 3D Mario in place - who knows maybe the new 3D Mario has a multiplayer Mode too.

Probably gonna need $500 for the system new controller and launch games. Wallet and wife forgive me!

500$ is my magic number also. This is how launch day is going to go for me.

Walks in Gamestop spends 500$ to 520$. Proceeds to come home.

Wife: Hey, Mike what did you get?

Me: Nintendo Switch, controller, and few games.

Wife: What? How much did you spend!?

Me: around 500$.

Wife: You what!?!?!

Me: I'm a man!!!!

Wife: Say that again!?

Me: The city had the man hole cover off because of all the excess water.

Wife: :mad:

Me: look. If yoy want I'll resort to prostitution to make back the money.

Wife: (most likely) Hahaha.. you owe us a family trip now.

Me: No problem. If you want go look up prices and book wherever you want to go.

pizzacat

Banned
Lol..

It's kind of fucked up for Nintendo. This chick along with Euro gamer stole all of Nintendo's Thunder. Straight assassinated Nintendo's hype before it could even begin.

I'm both grateful and annoyed by the leaks.
These Twitter Giants picking on little old Nintendo smh

Great! The 13th is my birthday. I can buy the system and Zelda myself, and then have my fiancé and family buy me extra controllers and games as birthday gifts!

cw_sasuke

What is this supposed to mean? Seriously, where did I say they were picking on Nintendo?

Leaks are needed to generate hype - everyone and their Mom is looking forward to the January event...no matter how much gets leaked before.

Maedre

Banned

I'm glad that i just have to fight with my wife about who plays first.

What is this supposed to mean? Seriously, where did I say they were picking on Nintendo?

Leaks are needed to generate hype - everyone and their Mom is looking forward to the January event...no matter how much gets leaked before.

Ok.. I still don't understand what the other guy/gal meant.

I'm excited by everything I heard but I'm not blind to the other side of the arguement where the leaks left no surprises for some with the reveal and they have no reason to be hype because they almost already know most of it.

I think it depends on what gets leaked.

If she says "3D Mario will be shown at the event" I don't think it will bother anybody.

If she says "Retro is showing Metroid Prime 4, rebooting Star Tropics, Mother 4, Diddy Kong Racing 2, Eternal Darkness 2 and Golden Sun 4 at the January event", then some people might feel some hype deflation lol.

Good thing is atleast we won't see how any games look even if they're leaked.

TreIII

Mmmm. Everything is sounding very nice, now.

Something to the tune if Bayo 3 revealed in January would just drive me wild.

KAL2006

Banned
I dont see them porting over every WiiU title just because it makes financial sense - they probably want people to try out new Switch experiences and play 3rd Party games as well. If at all i would say Mario Maker has a bigger shot being brought over ...and after the Galaxy/64 Type Mario they can work on reintroducing 2D Mario with a new look.

Dont get me wrong - 3D World on Switch would be cool, like many other games but they already have a 3D Mario in place - who knows maybe the new 3D Mario has a multiplayer Mode too.

I'm expecting every major Wii U game getting ported over 2017 and 2018 which isn't much

Mario Kart 8
Splatoon
Super Mario 3D World
Mario Maker (NSMBU will be part of the package)
Xenoblade X
Zelda HD Collection (WW, TP, SS)

Things like Star Fox, Paper Mario are probably not big enough for ports.

As for remastering Wii games I just expect Virtual Console for GameCube and Wii with HD graphics like PS4 is doing for PS2. We already know NVIDIA Shield TV has GC games running. So a more powerful system with Nintendo working on the emulator shouldn't be hard.

Lol!!!!!!

Oregano

Between Nier, Ninja Turtles (*shudder*), and Scalebound, I am not sure how a Bayo 3 could exist right now, much less be shown in two months.

You got Granblue and their Matsuno collab. Platinum being on the list of Switch supporters was a big indicator that it was just a list of those with Dev kits and not necessarily people releasing games.

Neoxon

I'm expecting every major Wii U game getting ported over 2017 and 2018 which isn't much

Mario Kart 8
Splatoon
Super Mario 3D World
Xenoblade X

As for remastering Wii games I just expect Virtual Console for GameCube and Wii with HD graphics like PS4 is doing for PS2. We already know NVIDIA Shield TV has GC games running. So a more powerful system with Nintendo working on the emulator shouldn't be hard.
You forgot Smash 4.

Sorcerer

Yeah, I don't think Mario is too far off, but I don't think it's a launch title. Summer/Fall 2017, I imagine.

You don't get a Zelda and a Mario at launch. Install base is to small for both. Mario will be the Xmas title.
Zelda and some ports of Wii-U games most likely.

Am I the only one that thinks the launch window will have a lot more unannounced/unrevealed games than ports/deluxe versions of Wii U games? I'd expect those ports to come in over the first year, but I doubt we'll see them all at launch. Maybe Smash at launch, but I don't see more than that.

jwj442

Nintendo usually has some kind of light arcadey first-party game at launch, often (but not always) a new IP. Something like Nintendoland, Pilot Wings, Excite Truck, etc. I imagine we'll get it again.

I doubt there will be more than one Wii U remaster at launch. They will be used to fill gaps in the schedule.

cw_sasuke

Mario Kart 8
Splatoon
Super Mario 3D World
Xenoblade X

During the Switch lifetime sure - but they wont drop all those ports in the first couple months. They will have to balance out new releases and re-releases. Smash, Splatoon and Mario Kart are hitting in the first 12 months because complete new games in those series wont be ready anytime soon while a new 3D Mario seems to be ready and the team had enough time since 3D World.

Akiller

Between Nier, Ninja Turtles (*shudder*), and Scalebound, I am not sure how a Bayo 3 could exist right now, much less be shown in two months.

Yeah,even if Hashimoto and his team would have started working on it right after Star Fox Zero january would be still too early to see something showed.

Am I the only one that thinks the launch window will have a lot more unannounced/unrevealed games than ports/deluxe versions of Wii U games? I'd expect those ports to come in over the first year, but I doubt we'll see them all at launch. Maybe Smash at launch, but I don't see more than that.

I expect in the first year from Nintendo
-Mario Kart Switch
-BotW
-Pikmin 4
-Smash Switch
-Splatoon Switch
-3D Mario
-Retros new game
-New Nintendo IP
-Golden Sun 4 (more of a hope)
-A new game from Next Level Games
-Mario Sports game that's coming to 3DS
- some kind of Pokémon game

And who knows what else. It's hard to guess, but I do feel there will be around 6 brand new original titles for the Switch from Nintendo in the first year. I really do think Kimishima doesn't want this to mess up and Emily even said how NX (back then) would destroy the Wii U's entire lifetime in one year. Now, she may have exaggerated and it probably won't be that, but it should be great because Nintendo has combined handheld and console divisions.

Add Rayman and a Just Dance to that and I think you've nailed it.

I don't think super Mario 3d world is a launch game, now is Rayman. But just dance is, I'm sure.

I'm thinking they get Mario Kart at launch as it is a huge seller, could be a esports game and is casual friendly. Also allows Mario something to be at launch along with Zelda. It also covers the racing genre. So that is alot of boxes to check off.

I do think there is two Ubisoft games at launch. I think the other is South Park ( seems like it could be easily portable) or For Honor.

TreIII

It's more wishlist-ing than anything else, but that aside...

Do we have any inkling of what Yusuke Hashimoto may be up to, post-Starfox Zero?

maxcriden

The game was at that point of time still 6 months away from the potential launch March next year. Remember that 3D World was also only revealed at E3 2013, 5 months before launching in November 2013.

Gotcha. Thanks! Well, here's hoping. I'd love to play it sooner.

Neff

Mario at release is absolutely feasible. They've been working on it for years, and the footage shown displays a lot of specific, polished components in place.

Not saying they will of course, or even if it's likely, but the developmental time frame and the footage shown is realistic for a March release.

Nintendo usually has some kind of light arcadey first-party game at launch, often (but not always) a new IP. Something like Nintendoland, Pilot Wings, Excite Truck, etc. I imagine we'll get it again.

New hardware launches are always a sweet spot for publishers looking to push new IPs, simply because people are more willing to gamble on unproven franchises just for something to play. I'd expect Switch to be no different.

KAL2006

Banned
During the Switch lifetime sure - but they wont drop all those ports in the first couple months. They will have to balance out new releases and re-releases. Smash, Splatoon and Mario Kart are hitting in the first 12 months because complete new games in those series wont be ready anytime soon while a new 3D Mario seems to be ready and the team had enough time since 3D World.

Thing is they can't wait to release Ports the longer they wait the older those games are.

And again Wii U games worth porting are not many. I also doubt we will get a new Mario Kart for Switch as Mario Kart 8 seems to be getting remixed enough with system changes like Switching items.

They can easily port all Wii U games withing 2 years

Smash Bros
Mario Kart
Mario 3D World
Splatoon

Xenoblade X
Zelda HD Collection
Donkey Kong Country Returns 1 + 2
Bayonetta 1 + 2

The other Wii U games are not popular enough to port such as Captain Toad, Star Fox or Paper Mario. Also Mario Maker doesn't need a port they can build on that and make a Mario Maker 2.

As for balancing between ports and new games we can have

Zelda BotW
Pikmin 4
Super Mario 128
AmiiBo Skylanders rip off

Fire Emblem Warriors
Metroid
Retro New IP
Mario Maker 2

4 New big games from Nintendo per year and 4 enhanced ports.

Top Bottom