• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laura Kate Dale : March 17th is Nintendo Switch's release date

Personally, I just wanna know if we can finally carry over our Virtual Console games (at least NES/SNES/N64/GB/GBA) from our Wii Us/3DSs into the Switch. Just put me out of my misery and let me know that I have to say goodbye to all of my Ambassador games and shit.

I really hope she doesn't leak any unannounced games. Leaking/confirming some ports would be fine, but I want the new games to blow me away in January.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I really hope she doesn't leak any unannounced games. Leaking/confirming some ports would be fine, but I want the new games to blow me away in January.

Someone needs to leave the internet. The chances that no unannounced game will leak from now until January are pretty slim.

Someone needs to leave the internet. The chances that no unannounced game will leak from now until January are pretty slim.

I'm hopelessly addicted to Gaf, so that's not an option. But honestly I could see them keeping new unannounced games secret until January, seeing as how well they've kept software a secret for the past year and change. I'll be on a cruise early January so I won't be able to get last minute leaks anyway, so I just need to make it to January 3rd.

They won't launch BOTW without Switch; they are not that insane

I think people are worried about it being the other way around, Switch not launching with BotW. I doubt that will happen though.

NeonBlack

See you later suckas
south-park-s10e12c08-butters-freezes-cartman-16x9.jpg

Genio88

The sooner the better, i hope she's wrong and that it'll release even before in Europe...but anyway, can't wait for January 12 to finally know everything i need about Switch

Dystify

I also want Zelda: BotW to launch with Switch but people shouldn't act like it's confirmed already. It's not a fact until Nintendo says so. I'm sure Nintendo would rather release it during the Christmas season but releasing it at the end of 2017 when it was originally planned for 2015 (then 2016) would make a lot of fans angry.

trixx

Personally, I just wanna know if we can finally carry over our Virtual Console games (at least NES/SNES/N64/GB/GBA) from our Wii Us/3DSs into the Switch. Just put me out of my misery and let me know that I have to say goodbye to all of my Ambassador games and shit.

this is something that will play a big role in me getting a switch during launch. Nintendo should just have huge launch sales on VC games at least.

sanstesy

I think we gonna get the Mario game for launch and Zelda BOTW as a may title.

I could see this happening, too. If Mario is ready and Skyrim really is launching with the Switch that would make more sense as a launch line-up than launching two huge open-world titles at the same time.

maxcriden

I think we gonna get the Mario game for launch and Zelda BOTW as a may title.

No way didn't Laura say they wanted to show Switch earlier but Mario wasn't ready. New Mario game is either Q3 or Q4 title.

Zelda is likely a launch game.

Plus, Miyamoto-san's comments at E3 indicated we'd see Mario revealed at E3 at the earliest; though the timetable for reveal has been seemingly pushed up, I would still be surprised if the game was finished for launch, especially given the Eurogamer (I think it was then who said this and not Laura?) Comment you mentioned above.

sanstesy

I think people shouldn't take that Miyamoto comment seriously about a new Mario being shown at E3 especially as it has been shown already. He lies all the time about stuff like that.

And as 3D World was three years ago, I'm very sure the game is close to completion. EAD Tokyo never takes longer than 3 years to finish a 3D Mario and they will have even more time than that until the Switch launch. It wouldn't be surprising if it launched with the Switch. Plus cross-promoting this new 3D Mario at launch with Super Mario Run coming out a few months before would also make a lot of sense.

KAL2006

Banned
I could see this happening, too. If Mario is ready and Skyrim really is launching with the Switch that would make more sense as a launch line-up than launching two huge open-world titles at the same time.

I agree Zelda and Skyrim releasing at launch would be a bit too much. I expect Skyrim to launch a month after with extra features such as Zelda themed dungeon and access to Shield and Master Sword. So Bethesda adding these features may take a while and would allow Zelda release to hype up their extra Zelda themed content in Skyrim.

I expect something like this for launch

Zelda - Open world Action RPG
Monster Hunter XX - Action Monster Slaying game
Dragon Quest Builders - Minecraft type game
Tekken 7 - Fighting game
Mario 3D World port - Platformer
NBA 2K17 - Sports Game
Borderlands Handsome Collection - FPS

The above line up has most genres covered. Appeals to Japanese gamers as well as the west. Mario Kart and Splatoon as well as Smash Bros and Skyrim will all come out in the same year with new content. Super Mario 128 will be the big christmas game and Nintendo will also have new Pikmin 4 games well as Retro New IP coming in 2017 for fully packed lineup in 2017.

I agree Zelda and Skyrim releasing at launch would be a bit too much. I expect Skyrim to launch a month after with extra features such as Zelda themed dungeon and access to Shield and Master Sword. So Bethesda adding these features may take a while and would allow Zelda release to hype up their extra Zelda themed content in Skyrim.

Tekken 7 - Fighting game
NBA 2K17 - Sports Game

The above line up has most genres covered. Appeals to Japanese gamers as well as the west. Mario Kart and Splatoon as well as Smash Bros and Skyrim will all come out in the same year with new content. Super Mario 128 will be the big christmas game and Nintendo will also have new Pikmin 4 games well as Retro New IP coming in 2017 for fully packed lineup in 2017.

You might be right, about monster hunter, Zelda, and Skyrim all coming at once. Seems like overkill. I would assume Fifa is locked in though. I think it HAS to launch with a system.

maxcriden

I think people shouldn't take that Miyamoto comment seriously about a new Mario being shown at E3 especially as it has been shown already. He lies all the time about stuff like that.

And as 3D World was three years ago, I'm very sure the game is close to completion. EAD Tokyo never takes longer than 3 years to finish a 3D Mario and they will have even more time than that until the Switch launch. It wouldn't be surprising if it launched with the Switch. Plus cross-promoting this new 3D Mario at launch with Super Mario Run coming out a few months before would also make a lot of sense.

I understand where you're coming from. That makes sense. You don't feel like the Eurogamer comment indicates some significant optimization and work is still needed, though?

I think either zelda or mario will be at launch. Zelda is in the finishing phase since at least march by aonuma's comments, so they are definetely doing the finishing touches on the game rather than having a whole year off. The game is also being promoted in many ways since E3. It's a title that nintendo is giving a lot of attention. I wouldn't worry about the release. It's almost certain that it will be a launch game.

sanstesy

I understand where you're coming from. That makes sense. You don't feel like the Eurogamer comment indicates some significant optimization and work is still needed, though?

The game was at that point of time still 6 months away from the potential launch March next year. Remember that 3D World was also only revealed at E3 2013, 5 months before launching in November 2013.

Steph_E.

I doubt nintendo care. Smash, Splatoon and Mario Kart are essentially Wii U ports so they are already profitable or Nintendo. Meanwhile Nintendo needs to build an installbase as quickly as possible to stay relevant.

If having 4 big first party games at launch ensures 10M Switches sell by June theyd be crazy not to.

To build an install base quickly they really need as many 3DS and Wii U owners to upgrade as possible. Most Wii U owners will not see a reason to upgrade if most Switch releases are games they can already play on the Wii U. There are plenty of people on GAF foaming at the mouth at the prospect of these ports but I don't see the majority of Wii U users biting if that is all they have to chew on. I think using these spaced out later on to fill out the release schedule would make more sense.

The launch day lineup is what makes or breaks this. Price isnt an issue if the games they got are worth camping out for.

Exactly. Which to me does not mean a load of Wii U ports, no matter what additional content they include.

Tekken 7 - Fighting game
NBA 2K17 - Sports Game

Looks a sensible line-up to me, except the Mario 3D World port. I can't see a good reason to port that over (though I love the game).

My birthday is in 2017. Excellent timing.
Mine too, what a coincidence!
Wow, now that you mention it.. so is mine!

Oh my god, so is mine. This is getting verrry scary!!

Anyone have any idea if Amazon will do launch day delivery for the Switch? They're typically pretty good about that with games, but I don't know about consoles.

This is assuming they're even selling Switch consoles at launch, which, judging by past Nintendo hardware launches isn't really the safest assumption.

TannerDemoz

Tekken 7 - Fighting game
NBA 2K17 - Sports Game

Add Rayman and a Just Dance to that and I think you've nailed it.

Air

Banned
I can see Zelda coming out in the launch window (before the summer), but I think that wouldn't make much business sense. If monster hunter is indeed coming out with the switch, that along with Zelda will have 2 very large franchises coming in for the eastern and western audience. I think the launch will go something like:

March
-Zelda
-Monster hunter (maybe)
-1 Nintendo multiplayer game (Splatoon or Mario kart)
-Skyrim
-1-2 sports games (basketball game for sure)

Theyre not gonna release more than 3 of their own games at launch because that will eat into Zelda and 3rd party sales. So I think going with a strong single player and multiplayer focused game will give a good bump to the switches audience early on. They'll also save Mario for November or October along with another big multiplayer game (probably smash). That said I think it's likely a new IP will launch within the first 6 months of the console as well.

KAL2006

Banned
Mario 3D World will make a great launch game. Every Wii U title deserves a 2nd chance. Mario 3D World being 4 played would work well with the detachable controllers. Another game that could work for launch is Poochy and Yoshi's Wooly World which is coming out non 3DS in February but the Wii U version ported with the 3DS version content makes sense. It's also 2 players which is percent for the split controllers.

Emily said Nintendo has a new IP coming. She said it's kind of crazy like a Splatoon, but not Splatoon.

Idk if that's going to be a launch or not.

I feel like these 6 games will probably be at launch.

-NBA 2K
-Zelda: BotW
-Ubisoft game
-Skyrim Remaster
-Mario Kart Switch (would not be surprised if this is a pack in)
-Monster Hunter XX Switch

There should be atleast another 15 games for launch. Ranging from indie to other third party titles.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Good News: Day after my birthday, not in work either day.

Bad News: It's Paddie's day and nowhere in Ireland will be open to sell or deliver it.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Mario 3D World will make a great launch game. Every Wii U title deserves a 2nd chance. Mario 3D World being 4 played would work well with the detachable controllers. Another game that could work for launch is Poochy and Yoshi's Wooly World which is coming out non 3DS in February but the Wii U version ported with the 3DS version content makes sense. It's also 2 players which is percent for the split controllers.

They already seem to have a brand new Mario title for the first year ready - they wont port 3D World over. Splatoon, Mario Kart and Smash make sense since those are multiplayer evergreens that can get updated via DLC.

Top Bottom