• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lawbreakers biggest update All-Star Update 2.0 coming October 19 - Ranked mode, more

Budi

Mostly waiting for that cross region queue! But ofcourse all the other stuff is welcomed too.

Hey is this game good? I think it looks really fun and it's a shame to see it floundering. Bad timing I guess.

I like games with lots of freedom of movement, so this appeals to me, obv. Is it a game where someone not very good at competitive FPS games (I am shit) can still find some fun?
Mmm, that can be tricky since the matchmaking obviously doesn't work when you have around 70 people playing at one time (not sure how it's on PS4). So you will be matched with people of all skill levels and they can make the game a pain to play when you feel just like cannon fodder. Otherwise I would say absolutely yes, just moving around feels great on certain characters. I'm not good at shooting and I've been having fun.

Speely

Banned
Mostly waiting for that cross region queue!

Mmm, that can be tricky since the matchmaking obviously doesn't work when you have around 70 people playing at one time (not sure how it's on PS4). So you will be matched with people of all skill levels and they can make the game a pain to play when you feel just like cannon fodder. Otherwise I would say absolutely yes, just moving around feels great on certain characters. I'm not good at shooting and I've been having fun though.

Cool thanks :) I am not worried about "doing well" aside from not pissing off others on my team. I am a good loser. Not sure if a smaller player base will be more or less forgiving in that sense lol.

N7.Angel

What a mistake, just let it go and stop putting so much money on a dead horse, I’m sorry if I hurt one of the fifteen people that is still playing this game...

Budi

Cool thanks :) I am not worried about "doing well" aside from not pissing off others on my team. I am a good loser. Not sure if a smaller player base will be more or less forgiving in that sense lol.
Well they can't afford to be dicks, but I've seen a few. Not as common as it's in MOBA:s I've played ofcourse, or even Overwatch.

benzopil

I'm planning to come back when ranked mode launches. Don't like quick plays in any shooter, ranked is the only way to go.

Speely

Banned
What a mistake, just let it go and stop putting so much money on a dead horse, I’m sorry if I hurt one of the fifteen people that is still playing this game...

I think it's cool to see them putting effort into their vision despite a brutal (BRUTAL) release. Makes me wanna play it and makes me think they actually like their game.

I liked what I played of the game (destiny killed it for me) but I don’t get why they are even bothering with a ranked mode with the current player count. Only way ranked could make sense is to launch it as part of a f2p or PS Plus or something that actually gives 10,000s of people permanent copies of the game. Splitting the player base when matchmaking is already hurting badly makes no sense to me.

I’ll possibly login and check out the patch this weekend out of curiosity but the game really needs bots or something other than what they’ve been working on.

BizzyBum

It was silly of them to not have a competitive ranked mode at launch. How can you release a competitive arena shooter without a mode that ranks players? It's like Halo 6 launching with only Social Slayer for its first couple of months.

I think the game is fun but BossKey has made a lot of dumb decisions in a short timespan. The game would be healthier and in a much better place if they launched F2P, had a Team Deathmatch mode from the get go, had this All-Star league at launch, and launched on Xbox One. F2P with loot boxes would have worked fine for them. The more people playing who like the game means more sales for cosmetics and user customization. Then again, nothing would save their horrid art style for the characters. The game itself looks great, but those designs... yikes.

ODDI

Oh the irony of those costumes, didn't Cliffy B oppose to a Overwatch color palette on costumes.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
tumblr_oripqvZAnB1uxw0iuo3_r2_400.gif

of course they'd try but, eh

Hopefully it'll draw back some PS4 players, already bored of Destiny 2's mutliplayer until they do a weapon rebalancing pass. Ready to go back to LB.

This really needs to get ported to Switch. It would fill a void in the Switech lineup, and i’d much rather play this than DOOM multiplayer.

And considering the population on other platforms, i don’t see how this wouldn’t instantly become the most populated version on Day 1 due to the lack of options on Switch.

Speely

Banned
This really needs to get ported to Switch. It would feel a void in the Switech lineup, and i’d much rather play this than DOOM multiplayer.

And considering the population on other platforms, i don’t see how this wouldn’t instantly become the most populated version on Day 1 due to the lack of options on Switch.

Whoa that's actually a good idea. Releasing on an Overwatch-less, CS:GO-less platform that is selling like crazy could be a good move.

This really needs to get ported to Switch. It would fill a void in the Switech lineup, and i’d much rather play this than DOOM multiplayer.

Whoa that's actually a good idea. Releasing on an Overwatch-less, CS:GO-less platform that is selling like crazy could be a good move.

Easier said than done. It's not easy to maintain another very different version of the game.

Bluth54

It's coming out the same day as the massive TF2 Jungle Inferno update which will probably get a large amount of promotion on Steam and suck all of the air out of the room (on PC/Steam anyway) for hero/class shooters.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Easier said than done. It's not easy to maintain another very different version of the game.

Let's be honest though is it even worthwhile maintaining the pc version in the first place (or ps4 version really). At least iin that case there's some more potential for income

gossi

So the update is out now, and at peak time in EU I can’t get a match in any mode. I’ve just hung at Searching for 8 minutes for the new Boss League, too - nothing.

I’m playing on PS4, which apparently has 4 times the PC population too.

They need to talk with Sony and MS to make this a free month game.

The update honestly looks good and if I had the time and extra money I would pick it up.

Lawbreakers is the first AAA in years to actually have something to say.

shimon

So the update is out now, and at peak time in EU I can’t get a match in any mode. I’ve just hung at Searching for 8 minutes for the new Boss League, too - nothing.

I’m playing on PS4, which apparently has 4 times the PC population too.

It's dead Jim...

gossi

It's dead Jim...

The league flat out doesn’t work. I left it matchmaking for a long long time.

The way it is supposed to work is you play ten placement matches, then you get a league with players in same league. Friends need to be a similar league.

Reality: there’s only a few hundred players, and it matchmakes by region so that number is in reality much lower. They don’t have enough numbers to even do the placement matches.

What’s frustrating is when the game first launched it had this option: Play. It dropped you into a random match, near instant. Now when you start the game it gives 4 main modes and 2 others. It’s taken a tiny player population and crushed it into an unplayable game.

They made some other changes to the game too which raise eyebrows. Eg health now auto regenerates. At launch it didn’t at all. One of the classes is a healer, but it’s pointless because your health recovers very quickly now. Changes like this are just counter productive I think.

They're trying harder than Gearbox did, but with Battleborn there was community engagement that helped keep things going. No one is rallying Lawbreakers fans. Just good money after bad at this point.

BizzyBum

It's fun having to wait 10 minutes between each game.

Also the people left playing this on PC are the 20 or so diehards who just destroy everyone so it's not even fun playing in ranked right now.

Humble Monthly would also be a good strategy for getting more people in the door without actually going free to play.

Agreed, and thanks for bringing up this service. I've never heard of it before.

I wonder if it would be best if they tried to get these free/low cost services to host their game all during the same month or would it be best to stagger.

Top Bottom