• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LawBreakers' launch numbers are much lower than Battleborn's - PCGamesN

It's really a bad comparison to compare a $30 multiplayer game to big AAA games like Battleborne that got huge marketing pushes etc. I think Lawbreakers falls more into the niche PC multiplayer game field that has games like Rising Storm 2, Day of Infamy, Dirty Bomb, etc. Smaller games that usually only get small dedicated communities rather than the juggernaut multiplayer games like pubg and csgo etc.

Ivan 3414

Game is fun and doesn't really play like anything out there atm.

With proper post launch support it should have an R6 moment.

Exactly, launch sales don't always spell certain doom for games with good support. I don't think anyone saw Siege being able to resurge the way it has. There's always that possibility that Lawbreakers can sustain itself as a service, especially at its price point.

Game looks awesome to me, but definitely not the type of FPS I want to be playing on console. So that's why I didn't pick it up

Sulik2

Seems like the betas and early access stuff may have backfired on them. Anyone who was interested all played the game and moved on it seems.

MiguelItUp

I was really excited about this game in the very beginning. Just the idea of Cliffy making another "arena shooter" was really exciting to me. This was also before Quake Champions was announced and kind of stole its thunder (for me, at least). While I will always respect what he's doing, when I finally got around to playing it, I just wasn't feeling it whatsoever. Honestly, I was pretty disappointed in how much I didn't care for it. I have and always will love arena shooters, and any FPS with fast chaotic gameplay. But something about Lawbreakers just didn't feel right to me, it didn't click.

Slayven

I watched some trailers and gameplay and didn't see anything that made me want to move from Overwatch to it, even temporarily. The characters mostly seemed ridiculous in a 90's Image Comics sort of way, and the gameplay didn't look very compelling.
They actually looked like rejected characters for an image series.

Exactly, launch sales don't always spell certain doom for games with good support. I don't think anyone saw Siege being able to resurge the way it has. There's always that possibility that Lawbreakers can sustain itself as a service, especially at its price point.

I bet it has half the player base in a month.

Marcel

LawBreakers has a massive upward battle when they already have articles in the game press tying it to a notable failed launch and no widespread enthusiasm from PC gamers. I don't think it will meet that challenge but we'll see how they decide to address the problem.

jwhit28

It seems to be every other commercial break on Twitch. Twitch needs to try and vary up their ads a bit. I now have an aversion to Old Spice, don't want to play Lawbreakers, and live action The Tick has made me unsure if I would even still like the cartoon.

That's a shame. The character design is pretty blah, but the gameplay, maps, and gametypes are all ace imo. Liked what I played in the beta way more than something like Overwatch. Just a crowded market right now with everything from Overwatch to CS:GO to Splatoon.

It's really a bad comparison to compare a $30 multiplayer game to big AAA games like Battleborne that got huge marketing pushes etc. I think Lawbreakers falls more into the niche PC multiplayer game field that has games like Rising Storm 2, Day of Infamy, Dirty Bomb, etc. Smaller games that usually only get small dedicated communities rather than the juggernaut multiplayer games like pubg and csgo etc.

Didn't Cliffy want this to be an eSport?
Games not even on xbox.. and from ths looks of it, it never will be.

Why isn't this on Xbox?

and it's still a bigger flop than Battleborn? lol
I don't think anybody big streamed it at launch (or post-launch), but there were a lot of big streamers including Lirik streaming the free open beta, and even with them streaming it, the game still peaked at 7k players on Steam.

There were more people watching a single streamer play the game than there ever will be simultaneously playing the game.

R6 is Ubisoft.

Friggin gigantic Ubisoft.

Lawbreakers is not Ubisoft.
Yeah, plus, all Ubisoft games sell incredibly well. Pretty sure R6 just got better post-launch. I don't think it was a flop at launch, though I could be wrong.

Verder

It seems to be really fucking hard to come out with any sort of multiplayer only game these days. I'm not surprised.

pretty much .

but hey look at pubg. kinda came outta nowhere and look where they are. They gotta take a chance and get lucky

It seems to be every other commercial break on Twitch. Twitch needs to try and vary up their ads a bit. I now have an aversion to Old Spice, don't want to play Lawbreakers, and live action The Tick has made me unsure if I would even still like the cartoon.
Live action The Tick was amazing though. Criminal it was cancelled so early. Is there a new one???

Taborcarn

I bought the game last night and didn't have any trouble getting into matches right away. I didn't realize the numbers were this low.

Nibel

It looks like a competent game, especially coming from a more or less fresh studio that doesn't have a crazy high budget, but I'm not sure if an audience for a quick/"Quake'ish" shooter exists anymore

This is getting even worse when you think of current F2P shooters or stuff like PUBG that has a similar price but that has all the buzz and players supporting it

Acorn

Honestly not enough ,marketing for this game. They didn't even get the front page banners for this game.

It's a great game but it really sucks that it's already gonna die.
I saw that ad on YouTube upwards of 30 times the last few months.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know much about the dev team of Lawbreakers as a whole, I'm kind of only exposed to the frontman, CliffyB. And the amount I want to play games can differ a bit depending on the creator, if that's my main point of reference. So for the purpose of this...I got bored at work and made a supremely complex graphic:

Cliffy B exists (for me) like a millimeter to the left of neutral on this scale. Don't hate him, don't even really dislike him, but one or two things he's said in the past have made me narrow my eyes. That Macklemore tweet people like to post, for example. Doesn't mean I want this game to fail! Game's probably competent and cool enough, but I've only got so much cash and time.

This is a good scale, though I'd put a true hack all the way on the left (maybe Dyack?) notch is a shit human being but God damn is Minecraft amazing.

Xater

I don't think anybody big streamed it at launch (or post-launch), but there were a lot of big streamers including Lirik streaming the free open beta, and even with them streaming it, the game still peaked at 7k players on Steam.

There were more people watching a single streamer play the game than there ever will be simultaneously playing the game.

Keep in mind all those big streamers had sponsored streams. That's the last time I saw anyone big stream the game.

It looks like a competent game, especially coming from a more or less fresh studio that doesn't have a crazy high budget, but I'm not sure if an audience for a quick/"Quake'ish" shooter exists anymore

This is getting even worse when you think of current F2P shooters or stuff like PUBG that has a similar price but that has all the buzz and players supporting it

When basically every big shooter is a service game, there is only so much room left for you. I think you either have to be free (see Paladins) or do something really new like PUBG. (I know BR is not completely new, but it's probably the first time done competently.)

Voidwolf

I haven't paid much attention to this game, but as an outsider there's absolutely nothing that looks interesting or appealing about it. I would imagine the general public has similar feelings.

I felt similar, then I played the beta.

Still feel the same. Some of the characters were interesting to play for a bit but it wasn't anything new, and the UI is absolutely terrible.

Kusagari

It's going to be much harder to break into this specific market after the advent of Overwatch. You're really going to need to offer something unique and different.

Paladins might have actually been the smartest of all, because they quickly jumped in and basically made themselves the "free" Overwatch.

Arthos

To be honest, I had no idea it was being released until about two days ago. I know there was a Cliffy B game coming out at some point but I didn't see anything leading to its release.

I might pick it up down the line but I do hope it does well. It seems fun, if a bit generic/copy cat.

Staf

I don't really play these types of games. But from the outside looking in this looks like a joyless, colorless Overwatch. That is, LawBreakers is to Overwatch as what DCEU is to MCU.

PUBG isnt AAA either. I would argue neither is CSGO.

pretty much .

but hey look at pubg. kinda came outta nowhere and look where they are. They gotta take a chance and get lucky
It didn't come out of nowhere.

It literally has the name of the dude largely responsible for H1Z1 and the popular ARMA III mod. This thing was hyped to hell and back and is part of a genre that's really big right now.

PUBG isnt AAA either. I would argue neither is CSGO.
PUBG was developed and published by the devs of Tera. CSGO was developed by Valve.

They certainly aren't indie devs.

I don't think it's that great either. I think a more standard arena shooter would have been more enjoyable. The hero aspect feels half baked and worthless.

?? you got some information we dont? In its earliest form LawBreakers or BlueStreak (as it was code named) is pretty damn much what we have now. Receipts?

didnt he originally state this was going to be an old school, hardcore arena shooter in the vein of unreal tournament? Thats not at all what this is

I don't really play these types of games. But from the outside looking in this looks like a joyless, colorless Overwatch. That is, LawBreakers is to Overwatch as what DCEU is to MCU.

Except the DCEU made it's money and it's fans right from the get-go. Not really an apt comparison.

Game is fun and doesn't really play like anything out there atm.

With proper post launch support it should have an R6 moment.

People falsely think a dev team can throw support behind a game and end up like Siege

Truth is, Siege has a fantastic, unique core gameplay that is untouchable in its design.

Siege's bugs were so notorious, and even thats not enough to kill the playerbase because there is nothing on the market like it

I think Siege is very much an exception

LawBreakers is not a cheap budget game. They're being backed by a big publisher. It's cost isn't Battleborn but it's far from indie. It doesn't matter how small the dev team is.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I mean you cant fault people for taking shots at the big guys

even if they only get a small piece of the pie

I dont want to live in a world where no one challenges established franchises either

I agree, but it shouldn't be a surprise that it's not pulling in big numbers. Publicizing the low numbers isn't going to help anything, because now the game's going to be a failure in the eyes of those still on the fence.

Staf

Except the DCEU made it's money and it's fans right from the get-go. Not really an apt comparison.

I was commenting more on perception of the game from the outside, as in artistic not business-wise. Should probably have made that more clear.

I just feel like there isn't any room right now for LawBreakers. You really need something more polished and interesting. It seems like arena shooters aren't really popular with people right now either.

We have Overwatch, PUBG, Rocket League, Rainbow Six: Siege, LoL, Dota 2, and CS: GO to name a few big e-sports.

I myself just picked up PUBG and yeah, it's going to be taking up most of my online game time.

Top Bottom