• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LawBreakers' launch numbers are much lower than Battleborn's - PCGamesN

killroy87

I was following it, and it looked totally competent, but nothing about it stood out at all (beyond some low gravity areas?).

I dunno, I just have absolutely zero desire right now for another FPS. It's the last genre I need more representation from.

Kinda sad, but not surprising. I don't think saying "ITS THE NEXT BATTLEBORN" makes much sense, this has a pretty weak marketing push and isn't gripping enough to make people even look at it, but otherwise seems totally like a fine game.

Far cry from Battleborn which got lots of people to give it a shot and they mostly bounced off since it was a bad game flat out.

As someone that liked Battleborn, I find it amusing that you hated Battleborn and now the game you like is being dragged down next to Battleborn.

Welcome to the 1%. lol

Rejam

Neo Member
I didn't know it had been released. I don't think that helps an online only game.you kinda have to hit the motherload to have a successful low budget game without much marketing.

Is having CliffyB involved seen as a positive thing these days?

didnt he originally state this was going to be an old school, hardcore arena shooter in the vein of unreal tournament? Thats not at all what this is

I dont remember him saying that. At all. However, id certainly argue that LB is sort of a modernized arena, hero shooter in ways. Nobody wanted or needed another UT or Quake with new versions both in development. (this coming from someone who spent thousands of hours in UT/Quake as a kid)

Game is awesome. Haters gonna hate. The gaming community is fickle. Seems like the game would have fared much better in a different time/environment.

There really isn't anything else like it, at least on console. Definitely the fastest FPS that I have ever experienced on console. Even faster than Titanfall, believe it or not.

Just get the game and enjoy it for what it is.

Symbiotx

Both of these games are great.

Why don't you people buy great games?

Because it's not great. It's ok, but isn't that special. I liked Doom's multiplayer better, and I just bought that for $15. There's just so many good games out now that you either have to have a better game than what's out there or something special to catch people's attention. From what I can tell, this is neither of those things.

I do hope the game does ok. It was more fun than I expected, but it got old quick. I'm not at all surprised by these numbers though.

I dont remember him saying that. At all. However, id certainly argue that LB is sort of a modernized arena, hero shooter in ways. Nobody wanted or needed another UT or Quake with new versions both in development. (this coming from someone who spent thousands of hours in UT/Quake as a kid)

Havent played the new quake but the new UT is crap. Id say we want and need another quality UT more than another moba shooter hybrid. I mean overwatch, battleborn, paladins etc

Such a shame. Game is really good, as was Battleborn IMO. Hopefully I can get the same 50ish or so hours of play I got from Battleborn with this one before it dies out.

I wonder how much of this has to do with the Overwatch event starting the same day. Would more people somewhat lukewarm for OW or taking a break suddenly be all over it again on update day take away from potential numbers of players?

The conspiracy theorist in me says the Summer Games event start this week rather than last week or even next week with this in mind... I could even lump Doomfist's release in with it.

SMG

Its a shame, but mixing gravity in spots over the level was off putting. Not like that is the biggest issue but its what turned me off.

Kildrek

I played for 2 days, I gave it a shot, I got the battleborn vibe and I bought that day one.

I'm sick of being burned, so nah, I'm not gonna buy this until I see better numbers.

Also, Cliffy B talking mad shit about PC but then he wants to apologize because he's got a new PC game to sell? Nope.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I've probably watched some 5 to 6 LawBreakers trailers over the past few years and none of them made me feel anything at all.

It's hard to blame the market for ignoring a game like that when Overwatch exists and is one of the most charismatic games ever.

I wonder how much of this has to do with the Overwatch event starting the same day. Would more people somewhat lukewarm for OW or taking a break suddenly be all over it again on update day take away from potential numbers of players?

The conspiracy theorist in me says the Summer Games event start this week rather than last week or even next week with this in mind... I could even lump Doomfist's release in with it.
I'll say it again, but even when Lawbreakers had a free beta during one weekend, it only peaked at 7k players.

Overwatch's Summer Games event has nothing to do with this.

jett

D-Member
There's nothing about it makes it appealing or stand out from the pack, from what I've seen. It's DOA. I honestly don't really understand why CliffyB invested in this.

Hopefully he still has some money from the windfall of Facebook buying Oculus. :p

nOoblet16

Well the game has been marketed a bit, I see videos on FB and else but marketing lines such as "Skilled AF" might not do the game any favour. Firstly because it's a bit cheesy but secondly (more importantly) because people might find it daunting if even the game's marketing keeps telling them that it's a heavily skill based game that's hard to play.

I didn't know it had been released. I don't think that helps an online only game.you kinda have to hit the motherload to have a successful low budget game without much marketing.

Well it's certainly not a negative since he has proven his game design chops several times over. At worst his name does nothing but at best it'll get it'll atleast get it some recognition.

Fury451

Banned
even_possible_aliens.gif

nOoblet16

Anyone can correct me if they think I'm wrong but I think he is seen as irrelevant to the modern game landscape aka yesterday's news.

Well that's only because Lawbreakers is his first game since Gears 3 (which was certainly not irrelevant when it came out 6 years ago)

His presence isn't a positive or a negative these days. Nobody really holds a grudge against CliffyB.
Didn't David Jaffe come out with a game too? Was that a bust also?

Drawn to Death came out and...............yeah, I don't hear people talking about that game. It did not review well.

Fury451

Banned
Didn't David Jaffe come out with a game too? Was that a bust also?

Drawn to Death.

Sort of a bust I guess? It was like a 3rd person Twisted Metal with a unique art style. Played it for a really brief time, it was fine, released as PS Plus game, haven't heard of it since.

i would install Agents of Maybe if it was free and play for at least 2 minutes.
i wouldn't install LawBreakers if it came with a $10 steam gift card.

LordofPwn

Battleborn was a 2K published $60 game, Lawbreakers is a $30 indie game.

That being said Lawbreakers is basically the Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars of Arena shooters.

Class system with abilities/ultimates are horrible for fps games. Leave that crap to casuals and their moba type games. Blizzard got away with it because of blind fanboyism.

The hottest of takes. There's nothing wrong with special abilities and ults. Shadowrun proved this out last gen and Overwatch cemented it this gen. This one just didn't grab people.

Marcel

That being said Lawbreakers is basically the Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars of Arena shooters.

LawBreakers is published by Nexon, which isn't exactly a slouch of a company.

dex3108

Currently Hellblade is playing two times more players than LawBreakers. When your MP game gets kicked by more-less linear singleplayr game you know that something went wrong.

Both games have same price, both games were released at the same time, both games had similar development time. And it's not like Hellblade had some amazing marketing campaign either.

Well i mean you release a shooter and skip the shooter console, i mean come on. Not that it would have made a huge diff but still, not smart.

Honestly the game looks very hard. Just to play. It looks cool, but you can tell that it takes a ton of skill to play. Overwatch and CSGO don't look difficult to play. None of the really popular multiplayer shooters do. They all look like they require good aim, but not an ungodly amount of dexterity.

Problem i had with it, was that it looked somewhat generic. Looks like UT to me honestly. And the last UT didnt do too great either which was also a "only on" playstation game.

Demoskinos

Its a shame, but mixing gravity in spots over the level was off putting. Not like that is the biggest issue but its what turned me off.

Once you understand how to effectively move in anti-grav spaces thats when the game clicks. Its easy to look at the game and scoff at it but just about everyone I know that's actually picked it up and played a recent build of it has admitted that it was super fun.

Its got really fun movement tech, interesting classes and just enough of a nod at early 00 shooter attitude that makes it a really charming game IMO. People are sleeping on a real gem with this one.

bounchfx

the price they decide to launch at doesnt mean anything besides the price they decide to launch at
they are fair to compare

it's not an indie game. i'd call it an 'AA' or mid tier game, but certainly not indie.
and afaik lawbreakers wasn't exactly a cheap game

dugdug

Banned
Biggest reason is imo is that people scoff at paying $30 for a game with f2p mechanics in it.

I'd say those people are misinformed. The stash drops in LB are virtually identical to the loot boxes in Overwatch but people are fine paying $60 for that one.

Maybe it's killing it on ps4. I doubt it but Steam isn't everything.
It's got 173 ratings on the NA PSN store.

Hellblade came out the same day. That has 798 ratings.

Titanfall 2 was considered bomba, but has 8530 ratings.

I'd say those people are misinformed. The stash drops in LB are virtually identical to the loot boxes in Overwatch but people are fine paying $60 for that one.
He might be referring to Battleborn?

Top Bottom