• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Layoffs at Sony San Diego (40-50 people, seemingly everyone but the MLB team)

shandy706

Where you at 2k?

Someone come to the rescue!

Edit* NM...Baseball team still intact. The Show is an exclusive that needs to go multi-platform. I'd buy it on everything..lol.

FelipeMGM

Even if Sony lost their MLB license I dont see a reason why they would just fire everyone. Those guys are mad talented and they deserve a shot in another genre if MLB is no more.

Kill3r7

Yeah but instead of putting resources in NBA Live where they have to compete with 2K, they can have the MLB for themselves.

The analysis is pretty simple

• How much does the MLB license cost?
  • How many copies has The Show been selling?
  • What are the development costs?
  • Can these resources be put to better use on a more profitable project?

I think given what's happened with baseball games over the last 5 years we know the answer.

AAA development has gotten substantially more expensive, and both Microsoft and Sony have been scaling back. First party games usually have to have best-in-class visuals, but they're hampered in sales by being on a single platform. I don't blame them. It's the reality of the market. Third parties are more important than ever.

Kolx

isn't it stupid to give up on yearly franchise considering how much assets they have? maybe downsize the team and make smaller changes every year instead of giving up entirely? Sony first party management has been absolute shit this gen.

Business. It changes all the time. Outside of MLB what has this studio done recently to keep the lights on?

Sucks to hear though.

One game per year is not enough? and they can't do another game if Sony isn't going to support them with more staff.

nampad

I always get shit by people when I talk bad about Shu but he keeps giving me arguments for being right, lol.

Big-E

Can anyone provide a list of current first party at Sony? Seems like it is far fewer than a few years ago. Also, I bet Polyphony isnt long for this world if GT Sport continues the diminishing returns of GT.

FelipeMGM

Is there a source saying baseball team is hit also? Because Ryan Palser says all but the baseball team: https://twitter.com/RyanPalser/status/776153028747493376

Oh, still sad but little less I guess

screenshoted for awareness

CsV_LqJW8AE8Zzy.jpg:large

Could be this too, Sony has been doing perfectly fine without a huge catalog of first party games, maybe they could close a couple more and still be fine.

The things is at the beginning of this gen one of the arguments for buying a PS4 was the amazing 1st party support the PS3 got, especially towards the end of last gen. It does matter in the long run imo with the core audience and we've seen how important that audience is at the beginning of a generation.

I hope those who are being laid off land on their feet. It's always an awful situation. That being said, we shouldn't freak out just yet about them being shut down entirely. I can't imagine they'd let go of their baseball team.

Tapejara

Never played the MLB games, but I really enjoyed the Modnation game they put out on Vita. Best of luck to all affected.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Wow fuck you Sony. MLB The Show was the best sports franchise on the market. And sold better and better each year.

Edit- Ok my bad dint see that. Glad MLB will still be around.

London is that they are finished with their VR game so they are letting people go.
Feel it's all about profit margins and relying get on services and 3rd party imo

Maybe Kaz as ceo really isn't good for the playstation brand.

I liked the idea of unique games and creations but the way it's seeming. Sony has decided to just go for profitable games. We are already down on games and studios last generation. Hopefully microsoft or Nintendo can fund more stuff

It's easy to see Sony's direction imo

I'm already very unexcited for Kojima and his game.

This is really disappointing to me as I loved or liked Killzone, sly cooper. Infamous and yes heavy rain.

Uncharted wasn't as good to me as a few other games Sony made.. I'm already expecting nx to not be great for me. Gaming is sort of feeling too different for me recently.. Feels saddening

Jb

Best of luck to all those who now have to find a new job.

I completely forgot Kill Strain was a thing. Another 1st party title Sony announced and lost faith in before it even released.

Top Bottom