• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked AC Unity gameplay videos up in the wild (edit: re-uploaded)

ironcreed

Banned
Ubisoft, Give me Black Flag 2 with this engine and I'll give you my firstborn.

yesjacknicholson.gif

Why can't they move this series forward? Looks just like every other AC game minus the actual fun parts of IV (ship combat).

Honestly what do you expect? They tried to change almost every aspect - combat, parkour, NPCs, mission approach, city size, interiors. They're trying, and it looks like it's working.

jett

D-Member
Why can't they move this series forward? Looks just like every other AC game minus the actual fun parts of IV (ship combat).

Fear of change is a real thing. And Ubishit is deathly afraid of killing their golden goose by changing it too much.

AssCrud badly needs a major reinvention. We've had seven fucking mainline games and they are all virtually the same.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Holy shit. That map.. Haha. I genuinely laughed at all the icons on there. That is one huge clusterfuck. I hope you can turn that off.
Yea I just saw it, holy shit. But it looks like you can toggle what you wanna see now instead of having to do so with the settings menu. Looks like notoriety is still gone, thank god.

Heigic

It looks great. I still wonder how fun it will be though as there is no pirate gimmick to mix things up. If all we are doing is follow, eavesdrop, assassinate quests in the main story I think the game will become boring quickly.

SJRB

Gold Member

...beause they're hugely succesful. And you don't fundamentally change a game that literally sells millions of copies.

Besides, what does "moving forward" even mean? In what way should they move this forward while keeping the core principals of the franchise intact?

kotor22

I could have sworn NPCs were faded in from the distance in previous games , why didnt they just do that? That seemed less obvious , well maybe im remembering wrong, still those crowds though...

zkorejo

The more I watch it the more I feel like he's playing as a combat focused assassin, with all the armor and how fast he's killing guys compared to the video in the OP. I would request to see the skill tree but that stream chat is a cess pool.

He definitely is. Check his armor stat. It is 4/5. Still when he got attacked by an enemy he lost around 30% of the health.

Kuldar

Fear of change is a real thing. And Ubishit is deathly afraid of killing their golden goose by changing it too much.

AssCrud badly needs a major reinvention. We've had seven fucking mainline games and they are all virtually the same.
As long as it sells (and it sells millions), Ubisoft will not do any "major reinvention" pf AC

ISee

Yes loved it in AC:Black Flag. Looked good, was fun gameplay wise and finaly brought something new to the franchise, I even used the 'silly' minigame on my pad to manage my fleet.
Maybe AC:Rogue is the way to go... Too bad they postponed the PC version to 2015.

K' Dash

This game keeps on giving, haha what the flying fuck.

Dude, you're trying so hard, we get it, you hate the game, that's ok, if you could try to stop shitting on it every post you write and try to have a civil discussion it would be awesome.

You can turn on and off those icons and leave whatever you want, I always filter my map, cause it does look like shit when everything is turned on.

I suppose you could argue this is a symptom of good world density of something but good god that is a disgusting map.

That is exactly what I meant. That is just way too much. Here is hoping for a chance to organize the icons, perhaps turning off a few icons like the chests.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
...beause they're hugely succesful. And you don't fundamentally change a game that literally sells millions of copies.

Besides, what does "moving forward" even mean? In what way should they move this forward while keeping the core principals of the franchise intact?

Start by making it fun, but that's just my opinion I know. I'd like to see the whole tower, hay bail thing go away completely. The fact that some guy with a hood and weapons that looks like no one else in the game goes unnoticed is ridiculous. An assassin would never have an identifiable uniform, just silly. Then there is the combat, god is it still awful. Enemies move in slow motion, attacking one at a time and telegraphing their attacks seconds before hand. Lastly the mission structure, well it is simply tedious, boring and pedestrian. The only thing this game has going for it still is atmosphere, which I admit they pull off very well, but for me, that is no longer enough.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Dude, you're trying so hard, we get it, you hate the game, that's ok, if you could try to stop shitting on it every post you write and try to have a civil discussion it would be awesome.

So what do you want me to do, agree on it and say holy shit this map is awesome when i think it's a huge clusterfuck? it's my opinion on it, deal with it.

CentroXer

Banned

This.

fallingdove

I 100% mean no offense, but do you not think you are forcibly dictating too much of the narrative in all these AC: Unity threads? any time I check up on them you are directing the choir, in a way discouraging other peoples opinions to flow. It really does seem like damage control or as if you are a PR spokesman that your name jokingly suggests :D - I understand you are likely just a huge fan but just an observation.

This. It drives me nuts to enter any AC:U thread and find every other post to be Eden's. And not only that, but to see every negative that someone brings up argued. This is community manager level silliness. It's not that I am against opinions, but Eden consistently obfuscates the underhanded and deceptive practices of Ubi and their PR with his/her agenda.

Crossing Eden

Wait a minute wtf, I stopped looking at the stream for two minutes and suddenly
there's the eiffel tower

This. It drives me nuts to enter any AC:U thread and find every other post to be Eden's. And not only that, but to see every negative that someone brings up argued. This is community manager level silliness. It's not that I am against opinions, but Eden consistently obfuscates the underhanded and deceptive practices of Ubi and their PR with his/her agenda.
You could just put me on ignore if my posts really bother you this much. I don't have an agenda. It's like saying that JayEH or Snake have an agenda in metal gear threads because they are active.

woen

I suppose you could argue this is a symptom of good world density of something but good god that is a disgusting map.

All the icons are activated, you can hopefully turn off most of them if you want.

Approximately 897 side missions and side quests.

K' Dash

So what do you want me to do, agree on it and say holy shit this map is awesome when i think it's a huge clusterfuck? it's my opinion on it, deal with it.

Nope, you're trying to get attetion so the usuals come and start shitting on this thread just like the other two.

As I said above, you can customize your HUD, there, problem solved.

bombshell

That is exactly what I meant. That is just way too much. Here is hoping for a chance to organize the icons, perhaps turning off a few icons like the chests.

"Tout" means everything, so can probably toggle between various map details using R1/L1.

Yep, it's so boring without it. That was another huge mistake Ubi. Good job.

Sooo boring without it. If this game didn't have a million things to do on the map that might be a different story but the fact that there is so much time spent running around the city with no music at all is just such a horrible decision.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Nope, you're trying to get attetion so the usuals come and start shitting on this thread just like the other two.

In fact i do not. What makes you think your opinion is more important than mine? nobody told you to quote my post right? so if you disagree with it that's totally fine with me, i just think the map is bad. End of the story.

Is this confirmed or just another damage control-ish thing? if yes then i take it back.

People were talking in the stream about there being no modern day sections, is this true? I find that a little weird. It's just going to be cutscenes apparently. I still feel like the modern day aspects of the AC games had potential, but they just never executed them properly. To be honest, the modern day story was what drew me into the series initially because I thought the setup was interesting.

Yeah, I don't get it. Some people are not even thinking about getting the game yet they continue to hate and harp on for no reason whatsoever. No music though sucks but thank god for custom soundtracks, Jeremy Soule here I come!

Euron

I really feel that Ubisoft should combine the two best things about the series: The Open Sea and Big Buildings, into one game rather than separating them. The problem is choosing a location. Maybe Japan?

Multiplayer was a missed opportunity in AC4. Imagine an online free roam in the entire sea where you can meet up with and battle your friends, let them on your ship and travel with them, and explore the entire world with forts and enemy bases everywhere to destroy. Yes, it was a launch title so such a thing probably would not have been possible in the given time.

Hell if I was Ubisoft, I'd alternate between Pirate Assassin's Creed and City Assassin's Creed every other year if combining the two aspects isn't an option.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

Still scratching my head at how ACIV is 'virtually the same' as AC1, beyond sharing some central core mechanics. But that's how sequels work. If you don't like those core mechanics, stop buying the game.

iNvid02

People were talking in the stream about there being no modern day sections, is this true? I find that a little weird. It's just going to be cutscenes apparently. I still feel like the modern day aspects of the AC games had potential, but they just never executed them properly. To be honest, the modern day story was what drew me into the series initially because I thought the setup was interesting.

that would be disappointing if true, i always liked the short breaks in between to explore the modern day.

Shin-Ra

Whatever, man. Overall, Unity is a better looking game. Softer IQ or not. But people get hung up on different things, I guess. Sorry it's not doing it for you.
This goes beyond softer, it's fully on blurry.

The lighting engine alone absolutely destroys Black Flag. There is absolutely no denying that.

... or are you denying that Unity has the far better tech?

Let us forget the particles, lighting and animation. Resolution is where it is at.

Next up we are saying that Quake 3 on 3840 x 2160 at 120 FPS looks better than Crysis 3 because you can play it with a substantial better resolution which results in less blur.

Come on now.
I'm denying that Unity, as it ships on-disc, has competent enough image quality to be able to properly appreciate the work put into everything else.

Crossing Eden

"Tout" means everything, so can probably toggle between various map details using R1/L1.
Yep.
Srd0SPd.png

Seems to be a shit ton of treasure to find. I spy, 6 co-op missions, a bunch of assassination missions, forgot what that book symbol meant.

Zombine

Banned
Any idea if there are any special or collaboration costumes in this one? I LOVED the Raiden one. I realize they can't always do that, but a Rayman one would be funny.

Hoje0308

Banned
I feel sorry for u and people like you... I didn't notice anything like that

People with eyes? No need to feel sorry for us, as we are able to better avoid games that apparently didn't get their priorities straight. "Thousands of NPCs on screen at once...that will magically appear 30 yards in front of you, wearing different clothes than when you're right next to them." Great job, Ubisoft.

ironcreed

Banned
This goes beyond softer, it's fully on blurry.

I'm denying that Unity, as it ships on-disc, has competent enough image quality to be able to properly appreciate the work put into everything else.

I can see it just fine in the compressed to hell and back gameplay footage. Even then, I can tell that it is going to look gorgeous on my screen.

Seriously, the way some of you describe it, it's as if the game looks like this:

pixel540.ashx

AHA-Lambda

holy hell, what? D:

Still scratching my head at how ACIV is 'virtually the same' as AC1, beyond sharing some central core mechanics. But that's how sequels work. If you don't like those core mechanics, stop buying the game.

Or they could stop annualising the bloody thing and so not reaching fatigue and design bloat as a result. It hasn't materially changed enough since AC2, and annualising just makes the lack of meaningful design progression worse.

LeBart

I can see it just fine in the compressed to hell and back gameplay footage. Even then, I can tell that it is going to look gorgeous on my screen.

Seriously, the way some of you describe it, it's as if the game looks like this:

pixel540.ashx

It shouldn't be a surprise. Some people here said Watch Dogs looks like an N64 game in spots.

Crossing Eden

holy hell, what? D:

Or they could stop annualising the bloody thing and so not reaching fatigue and design bloat as a result. It hasn't materially changed enough since AC2, and annualising just makes the lack of meaningful design progression worse.
That's what it looks like with everything toggled. And each game since AC3 has had 3-4 years of dev time. This game is rebuilt and not reusing assets from previous games like the ezio trilogy or kenway trilogy, it's basically like how AC3 was the "base" for AC4 and Rogue. This is now a new base for sequels until they decide to rebuild everything again.

Top Bottom