• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked AC Unity gameplay videos up in the wild (edit: re-uploaded)

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
According to the leaker there are ambient music at some locations and some times.

It confirms the leaks of the soundtrack.

Quote for twitch stream (spoiler)

BEST QUALITY EVER!

2014-11-0216_18_27-nob3sbk.png

Smokey

Crowd density looks good.

I'd really love to get this on PC, but I'm really on some fuck UBI PC after Watch Dogs.

Windpower

Banned
I can forgive pop-ins and even the shitty blurriness if there are actually cool things to do. I got so burnt out from AC2 and then AC4; although I really like the verticality of cities coming back, I've been so spoiled by Shadows Of Mordor doing so much fun actual assassin shit that I'm gonna have to wait for reviews on this one. After the level of garbage quality on Watchdogs I'm never preordering a Ubisoft game ever.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Ah, wait. The stream is back. Looking good.
Good thing I don't understand any french. So it's technically not spoiling anything. The comments that this looks worse than AC4 are pretty humorous in hindsight, can't wait to see this on my tv. Even with this awful stream quality you can see the difference.
YorCUbm.png

zH8iKoY.png

http://imgur.com/a/oPTwl

Good thing I don't understand any french. So it's technically not spoiling anything. The comments that this looks worse than AC4 are pretty humorous in hindsight, can't wait to see this on my tv. Even with this awful stream quality you can see the difference.

http://imgur.com/a/oPTwl

Those are still cutscenes so they do not mean anything.

But goddamn when ingame the indoor interiors and associated lighting look quite phenomenal despite the resolution still being 900p.

Yoday

I second this notion. AC games (like some of the other gaming series out there) seem to get a lot of unnecessary flack because it is the popular thing to do. As I've gotten older, i understand more and more what i like and to ignore the negativity that some people project. I look at reviews but at the same time, take them with a grain of salt (because opinions are just that...opinions). The game looks great and I can't wait to play it.
I've gotten to that point as well. After so many years of gaming I know what I like, and it is getting pretty easy to tell what a game is going to offer from the previews. I really only look to reviews to tell me if a game is flat out broken or not. Outside of that their opinions do me little good, as I can usually tell if I am going to enjoy a game before it is even out.

Unity is looking fantastic to me. It looks like the AC that I know and love with gameplay refinements, and a massive city set in an interesting and incredibly important setting. It's sad though because I have been trying to avoid AC threads after the "parity" debacle, as that taught me that unfortunately there are a lot of people that really want to hate the game and will pick at every little thing. I just can't get worked up over these little things anymore. Do I wish the game was 1080p, yeah, but I'm not going to let that or this new pop-in thing deter me from enjoying the hell out of the game and recognizing the many good aspects that I see in it. Honestly, I just hope the OT can be a civil place for people that are actually interested in the game instead of a breeding ground of hate.

Crossing Eden

Those are still cutscenes so they do not mean anything.

But goddamn when ingame the indoor interiors and associated lighting look quite phenomenal despite the resolution still being 900p.
Yea but all the cutscenes are realtime thankfully. Think the closest we got to pre-rendered cutscenes in the series was AC3. And the occasional CGI cutscene at the end.

I'd actually say AC4 gets less flack than it should. There were a lot of huge, fundamental flaws to that game that are ignored because the game was overall fun and that was a necessary fix after AC3.

phaze

Oh my I'll never pass the "protect Bernadotte" mission. I'll kill the bastard myself every single time.

Ah, wait. The stream is back. Looking good.

I hear the sounds, but see no picture. lol

EDIT: Weird, works on Firefox but not Chrome.
EDIT2: Nevermind, works on both now. :S
EDIT3: The quality is so bad, I don't even see the point in watching, lol.

allftw

Neo Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLUdllu5TvU

11 minutes of nighttime gameplay. No ambient music pretty much confirmed at this point, so let down.

When devs don't put ambient music it's usually because they don't want the ambient sounds they made get shadowed by it. Still a shame though maybe there's an option for it.

I'm also really liking what I see. Best part about these series for me was exploring the beautifully crafted cities which were missing from the last 2 games.

That magical AI at 7:30 though...

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Yea but all the cutscenes are realtime thankfully. Think the closest we got to pre-rendered cutscenes in the series was AC3. And the occasional CGI cutscene at the end.

Source? because the cutscenes to me look better than the gameplay so i call bullshit on that for now.

Crossing Eden

I'd actually say AC4 gets less flack than it should. There were a lot of huge, fundamental flaws to that game that are ignored because the game was overall fun and that was a necessary fix after AC3.
Imo the only big flaws were too many tailing missions/boat stealth. Minor flaws were reduced weapon variety since you could only buy dual swords and the game was way easier yet more fun than AC4. Unity is rectifying the hell out of the "you can only buy two swords" and the stealth missions now very rarely auto desync if you get caught.

That stream put the game on my radar again. Screw the few pop-in's and 900p resolution, this one finally looks fun again and after the whole AC3 and Revelations debacle that is saying allot in my book.

Crossing Eden

Source? because the cutscenes to me look better than the gameplay so i call bullshit on that for now.
Unless they prerendered the cutscenes to include every outfit in the game, every outfit combination of said outfits, along with weapon placement then the cutscenes are realtime. That's always the telltale sign. Like in the Last of Us, none of the alternate costumes ever show up in cutscenes. And also one of the cutscenes in the stream happened right after combat and Arno was covered in blood, and in the cast trailer you can see the same cutscene but he's not covered in blood, so that effect also gets carried into cutscenes. Watching the stream now and the gameplay also transitions very smoothly between the two most of the time.

Shin-Ra

That stream put the game on my radar again. Screw the few pop-in's and 900p resolution, this one finally looks fun again and after the whole AC3 and Revelations debacle that is saying allot in my book.
There's not just a "few pop-ins" and it's the worst AA'd 900p image quality I've seen to date.

ironcreed

Banned
Holy moly at the customization this game has in terms of gear when watching the stream. So much variation.

That is one of the things I am most excited about. There is apparently an ass load of gear to find. Even when you replay co-op missions, the loot you find is going to be different.

Vizzeh

Banned
Imo the only big flaws were too many tailing missions/boat stealth. Minor flaws were reduced weapon variety since you could only buy dual swords and the game was way easier yet more fun than AC4. Unity is rectifying the hell out of the "you can only buy two swords" and the stealth missions now very rarely auto desync if you get caught.

I 100% mean no offense, but do you not think you are forcibly dictating too much of the narrative in all these AC: Unity threads? any time I check up on them you are directing the choir, in a way discouraging other peoples opinions to flow. It really does seem like damage control or as if you are a PR spokesman that your name jokingly suggests :D - I understand you are likely just a huge fan but just an observation.

There's not just a "few pop-ins" and it's the worst AA'd 900p image quality I've seen to date.

Then do not buy the game if that bothers you so much. The game seems to be fun again, and definitely looks a whole lot better than Black Flag despite it not producing a cleaner/sharper picture than its predecessor. The comparison screenshots in this thread has shown that already.

jett

D-Member
What a nostalgic stream. It's like watching a Sega CD FMV game.

BTW this is what I consider idiotic world design. Non-stop running through absolutely nothing of interest. Dat open world. And oooh, a tailing mission.

Yeah Ubisoft has learned nothing.

Nicktendo86

My god at the part where he is synchronising on top of the tower, the streets look empty. That will be really jarring, seeing the NPCs suddenly appear when you get down.

This looks like the exact same game as the others but with more NPCs and a bigger city.

That is one of the things I am most excited about. There is apparently an ass load of gear to find. Even when you replay co-op missions, the loot you find is going to be different.

As I said in a previous post. I just hope the customization is not just beautiful clothing but actually suits a purpose so that it alters the gameplay (as Ubisoft promised.. But, you know. Ubi and promises..)

Shin-Ra

Yep. I love me some Black Flag, but damn:

Huge difference.
Then do not buy the game if that bothers you so much. The game seems to be fun again, and definitely looks a whole lot better than Black Flag despite it not producing a cleaner/sharper picture than its predecessor. The comparison screenshots in this thread has shown that already.
Yeah, if only you spent the entire game looking at closeups of cutscene character models with the background blurred out. And yet, even those closeups look sub-par because of the poor image quality.

Crossing Eden

I 100% mean no offense, but do you not think you are forcibly dictating too much of the narrative in all these AC: Unity threads? any time I check up on them you are directing the choir, in a way discouraging other peoples opinions to flow. It really does seem like damage control or as if you are a PR spokesman that your name jokingly suggests :D - I understand you are likely just a huge fan but just an observation.
I was just giving my opinion on the flaws of AC4. ._. People are free to disagree with me. You'll notice that i'm rarely if ever openly hostile or abrasive, or worse, passive aggressive.

I play video games to have fun. I've consistently had fun with AC games, some more than others. This one looks fun. The amount of talk the NPC pop-in is getting here is ridiculous. That has no effect at all on whether this game is fun or not.

I can't wait to play it.

Vizzeh

Banned
I was just giving my opinion on the flaws of AC4. ._. People are free to disagree with me. You'll notice that i'm rarely if ever openly hostile or abrasive, or worse, passive aggressive.

Oh for sure, you seem like a very pleasant guy/gal As I said 100% no offensive intended :)

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, if only you spent the entire game looking at closeups of cutscene character models with the background blurred out. And yet, even those closeups look sub-par because of the poor image quality.

Whatever, man. Overall, Unity is a better looking game. Softer IQ or not. But people get hung up on different things, I guess. Sorry it's not doing it for you.

Crossing Eden

Oh for sure, you seem like a very pleasant guy/gal As I said 100% no offensive intended :)
Yea if I was trying to damage control I'd be trying to defend the pop in. Which kinda isn't possible as it's quite noticeable at some points. Not noticing it as much in the stream though, but that might be because the stream quality is very bad outside of cutscenes.

This stream.

The combat looks piss easy again. Dammit. Chaining kill after kill without taking a bit of damage.
The more I watch it the more I feel like he's playing as a combat focused assassin, with all the armor and how fast he's killing guys compared to the video in the OP. I would request to see the skill tree but that stream chat is a cess pool.

ironcreed

Banned
As I said in a previous post. I just hope the customization is not just beautiful clothing but actually suits a purpose so that it alters the gameplay (as Ubisoft promised.. But, you know. Ubi and promises..)

Yeah, it's supposed to be more RPG-like than ever with the gear. You will get no complaints from me if it indeed pans out that way.

The lighting engine alone absolutely destroys Black Flag. There is absolutely no denying that.

... or are you denying that Unity has the far better tech?

Let us forget the particles, lighting and animation. Resolution is where it is at.

Next up we are saying that Quake 3 on 3840 x 2160 at 120 FPS looks better than Crysis 3 because you can play it with a substantial better resolution which results in less blur.

Come on now.

Vizzeh

Banned
Yea if I was trying to damage control I'd be trying to defend the pop in. Which kinda isn't possible as it's quite noticeable at some points. Not noticing it as much in the stream though, but that might be because the stream quality is very bad outside of cutscenes.

The game does look significantly better in motion in some of the leaked footage, as you said, pop-in aside! Has this game leaked to twitch yet?

Saw the video finally and was actually quite impressed at first. But that pop-in is just too distracting for me. Will wait and see if it hopefully gets improved with a patch or something.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Why can't they move this series forward? Looks just like every other AC game minus the actual fun parts of IV (ship combat).

Top Bottom