• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked AC Unity gameplay videos up in the wild (edit: re-uploaded)

I wonder why people hate Ubi tho..... they do themselves no favours at all. There is no reason to protect them, they are a huge company that has mugged gamers time after time. Long as their games sell loads they won't give a shit. Their PR has been the worse I have seen in ages, people have every right to have a go.

I am fine with people hating on Ubisoft but at least put up a proper post as to why they feel this company is letting everyone down. Putting up troll posts like ''This game looks like an iOS/PS2 game!'' is getting on my nerves.

It looks like Assassin's Creed and looks like they've, once again, failed to address the key issues the series has at its core. The series has absolutely no evolution or refinement. It's a single minded development template. You can, literally, skip a game or 2 and the next one you play will be exactly the same. They focus on the wrong things. That's not to say the games are bad, because they're usually decent, but it's just stagnant.

It also has no right being 900p on PS4, but that's another issue entirely.

kinggroin

Banned
Onw of the best looking games I've ever seen, quite honestly. I was blown away seeing the crowds full of individual unique animations; the scattering was a nice cherry on top.

Holy shit the scale and lighting too, all the while keeping a fairly consistent frame rate.

The combat looked ass, but I'll wait to see more. This could be the first ass creed I buy since 1.

Onw of the best looking games I've ever seen, quite honestly. I was blown away seeing the crowds full of individual unique animations; the scattering was a nice cherry on top.

Holy shit the scale and lighting too, all the while keeping a fairly consistent frame rate.

The combat looked ass, but I'll wait to see more. This could be the first ass creed I buy since 1.

Ehhhhh it dips. Especially during combat.

I agree with people saying it's a re-skined AC 2... So I will play it when it's at the actual AC 2 price (15€).
Looks good but not impressive at all. I've always asked for games to be set in Paris since I live here but I'm not certain this will lead to more disappointment :/

Mogwai

Chû Totoro;136988560 said:
I agree with people saying it's a re-skined AC 2... So I will play it when it's at the actual AC 2 price (15€).
Looks good but not impressive at all. I've always asked for games to be set in Paris since I live here but I'm not certain this will lead to more disappointment :/
What did you expect? An AC game that's totally different from the series?

And why would you expect Ubisoft to release that?

Beefy

I am fine with people hating on Ubisoft but at least put up a proper post as to why they feel this company is letting everyone down. Putting up troll posts like ''This game looks like an iOS/PS2 game!'' is getting on my nerves.

It's going to happen, best to ignore stuff that annoys you then get mad about it.

I'm still gonna wait on a DF analysis of the Xbone version before buying it, but damn, this version does look nice.

Might not get it right away, but will definitely pick it up somewhere down the line.

Or... because they're terrible.
The simplest hypothesis is often the correct one.

Are they really? The majority of the posts I read did not think that AC2, Brotherhood and Black Flag were terrible.

Things just turned to shit with AC3 and a lot of people tend not to forgive Ubisoft for that.

iNvid02

popin is sometihng this engine has always suffered from, i remember in AC2 and Brotherhood NPCs and grass just appearing right in front of you

gonna have to turn that environment quality all the way up on pc again

I really do not take comparisons to AC2 as a bad thing. Black Flag was a nice side distraction for the series, and I'm fine with a separate game like Rogue continuing down that route, but for me the Ezio triology is by far the high point of the series. In terms of the gameplay jump, the size of the cities, story, protagonist, and the history explored, the AC2 games really did it for me. If they can get the modern day stuff back on track to the level it was on before AC3, then for me it'll be a winner.

Guess they didn't have time to improve the combat along with the lighting and animation systems. Hopefully that's a big push for next year's AC, because everything else looks so damn evolved from previous games that the combat stands out like a sore thumb. I still love the first AC's reliance on counter-attack timings with the cinematic camera most of all, and even that was just passable combat.

The 2 biggest problems I have with the AC series (and while I won't buy another one unless they change it) are:

1) Combat has been terrible since the first game. They really need to redevelop the combat engine to the likes of Shadow of Mordor or something along the lines of Dark Souls. This kills the entire game at it's core.

2) A change in scenery and deeper story and characters is paramount to this franchises success. When I see an AC game year over year, they never do anything different with this. Making a Japan would be incredible contrary to what Ubisoft is saying. Also, they need to get back the deep story and plot like they did with AC1 and AC2. Every other game after that has failed to capture that deep plot that makes you want to know what happens.

Xpliskin

Looks like this is the first AC game I'll be getting since AC 2.

This looks like a lot of fun.

Some pop-ins here and there but ... PC version.

Pop in is bad, hope that gets patched. Apart from that though it looks fairly standard AC which people will either love or hate. The scale and visuals look great though so i'm keeping my pre-order for now.

reddish

Neo Member
A little blurry/pop-in-heavy overall, but damn, the lighting, animations, atmosphere, and amount of people on screen are all incredibly impressive.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Easy escape here but i hope you're not naive enougth to think they'll all magically dispaear on release (and they had no problem to relase ground zero with them)

Lol just stop.

Look at the jungle gameplay demo from TGS. I haven't noticed any pop-in. Also Kojima said before he showed the Afghanistan demo to the public that it is still in early stage and he didn't really want to show it yet but he did it for the fans.

Just compare the E3 and Gamescom demo. In the beginning of the E3 demo behind Ocelot there was a flickery shadow. That was fixed in the Gamescom demo. So yeah don't judge a game when it's not even finished yet. They are constantly working on the game, unlike Unity which already went gold.

Kureizu

I think the game looks great. If the framerate is confirmed to be solid, I'll be more than happy with the result.

I'm pretty sure that the hour of judgement passed ages ago, if the majority of posts about the game recently are anything to go by.

Typical Gaf. Get HYPED!!!!! then bash the hell out of the game when it doesn't meet your ridiculous fantasies of what you the gamer wanted it to be. LOL

RulkezX

I think it looks kinda impressive, sure there are obvious compromises made and that pop-in is especially bad , but over all it looks good. The scale is certainly impressive.

Saying that they still deserve all the shit they get. No one would even care if they showed this level of visuals from the start or released 2 videos with each PR cycle showing console and PC visuals separately.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Typical Gaf. Get HYPED!!!!! then bash the hell out of the game when it doesn't meet your ridiculous fantasies of what you the gamer wanted it to be. LOL

No I don't think that's the usual cycle for AC. I'm pretty sure that the way it works for AC is that you start off by saying that you hate the gameplay of AC games, mentioning that the last one you played was maybe ACII or Brohood (hence having missed all of the major gameplay changes from III and IV). Then you complain about the fact that they never change it. Then you say that you think it's an awful game series. Then if you're feeling particularly obtuse you say that they need to stop making AC, because who even likes them anyway?

This cycle has had the extra factor that everyone's hot off the FC3 and W_D graphics downgrades controversies, so people who'd normally pass over the AC threads are instead ducking in to explain that it looks worse—literally worse, no hyperbole—than a PS2 game.

Theecliff

Banned
The pop-in and framerate is pretty poor, but the lighting, the scale and the animations are damned great.

Still unsure of whether to pick this up though. I've played the series up until until the opening of Revelations (which bored me to death) and haven't bothered with 3 or 4 yet.

I'm pretty impressed, except for all the pop-in everyone else already mentioned. I'm really curious about how the PC version looks now; Black Flag actually ran flawlessly for me at release, and I'm hoping this'll also have some PC love.

Here's hoping Ubi doesn't delay the PC version a week before it's set to come out!

Doran902

The city, crowds and animations are all super impressive. Not sold on the actual game yet though, what is my pirate ship equivalent that stops this from being another basic AC.

It looks good in motion, but that pop-in and vaseline filter has me worried.

Love the lighting though.

*The other games didnt have such large open streets (maybe to avoid pop-in), I wonder if thats the final version, its horrible to look at an empty street and then watching everything pop as you go.

Top Bottom