• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked AC Unity gameplay videos up in the wild (edit: re-uploaded)

photogaz

Crowd is amazing, blurry as people said. I'm sure they could knock it up to 1080p on PS4 if they wanted. I hope it gets patched.

DOWN

Banned
Hundreds of NPCs who stood around and did nothing and/or ran when two people got into a sword fight... The crowds are huge, but they just seem so un-interactable... what's the point? That just seems more like more people to get in the way when running and not much else.

A crowd that size is a big deal. What are you comparing to that the game's crowd tech falls short?

Ugh. Those combat mechanics. How anyone could think that they're anything but tired, boring, poorly animated and generally sloppy is beyond me. Parkour looks great, but that alone does not a game make. I'm also very skeptical of the stealth mechanics, given the series' track record in this area is awful.

In this sense, AC = GTA to me; great worlds and absolutely on-point in superficial ways, but with such mediocre, behind-the-genre-curve core mechanics.

SeanTSC

That crowd pop-in is the single most immersion-breaking form of pop-in that I have ever seen. By far. The crowd size is simply *not* worth it to deal with that and they should have trimmed the cap down to a point to where it could never happen.

They probably would have gotten it down enough to run the game at a solid framerate at 1080p if they did that as well. But nooooooo, we gotta jerk off to Crowd Numbers instead of having a cleaner, crisper game that isn't immersion breaking as fuck. Did they not play their own builds and see this shit? Who could possibly be okay with NPCs popping in like that? Just seems like they put far too much emphasis on "WOW CROWDS" instead of their game being a more playable experience.

A crowd that size is a big deal. What are you comparing to that the game's crowd tech falls short?

You're making the assumption that I'm criticizing the game from a technical stand point, which is understandable since most people are talking about technical issues here...

I'm talking about it from a gameplay perspective however. As a person who will likely get this game (I've bought most AC games) I was hoping improved tech would make for improved gameplay elements when it comes to crowds. The big crowds are an interesting tech show case, but if they are simply going to do the same things as previous AC games (comment on dead bodies, run away when anyone gets into a fight) it seems pretty pointless to me.

It's one thing in a gun fight for a massive crowd to become startled and run, but when 400 people run away from 2 people in a one on one sword fight it also just looks a little silly and immersion breaking.

When I saw the scale I said "Damn", when I saw the crowd I said "Fuck".

Game looks great.

Don't know why Ubi is taking down the vids, it sold me on the game.

Looks good and totally boring like every other AC except 2.

I really never quite understand the hate for AC's gameplay. You have plenty of variation to tackle your objectives in Unity and the combat is overhauled towards an extent that countering is never going to be effective, thus running away and hiding becomes more prominent.

I never hear complaints that shooters have the same gameplay. That each scenario is always shooting the same enemy until it dies.

I never hear complaints about driving games. That each track is a simple line forward with a few twists and turns.

I never hear complaints about fighting games. That each battle is you constantly using the same 2-3 buttons to punch/kick an opponent.

But everything is boring in AC. The traversal. The combat. The objectives. The extra's.

The blind hate some of you have is childish at best.

Ugh. Those combat mechanics. How anyone could think that they're anything but tired, boring, poorly animated and generally sloppy is beyond me

I'd like to feel how it plays before I judge, but it really does look awful. I don't want to be hacking away fifteen times at every single enemy before they go down, even ones coughing and spluttering in Smoke Bomb clouds. I know they want to make the combat more challenging and move away from the AC3/4 style where you could kill a hundred guys single-handedly without ever being touched, but there has to be a better way than just making all the enemies turtle up like that. It just looks like a lot of awkward hammering against an enemy's parry until the five stars above their heads go away.

DOWN

Banned
You're making the assumption that I'm criticizing the game from a technical stand point, which is understandable since most people are talking about technical issues here...

I'm talking about it from a gameplay perspective however. As a person who will likely get this game (I've bought most AC games) I was hoping improved tech would make for improved gameplay elements when it comes to crowds. The big crowds are an interesting tech show case, but if they are simply going to do the same things as previous AC games (comment on dead bodies, run away when anyone gets into a fight) it seems pretty pointless to me.

It's one thing in a gun fight for a massive crowd to become startled and run, but when 400 people run away from 2 people in a one on one sword fight it also just looks a little silly and immersion breaking.

For me, from the very first teaser, the crowd and scale of Paris were just a game-changer for open world atmosphere. It's not flawless as we know, but it certainly is pushing some elements of the open world city forward in a stunning way. Seeing and stalking through crowds like that in those gorgeous sun washed streets is a gameplay change. Gameplay has heavy basis in visual setup.

For me, I'd be totally disappointed if the downgrade had meant crowds back to the size of last gen. It's a huge deal, regardless of whether the AI has changed in order to affect your personal idea of the gameplay.

This game has some true visionary talent and accomplishment.

Then again, I am one who likes to say style is substance.

big_z

This been posted yet? Nighttime Paris
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLUdllu5TvU

I like when he kills the guy by pushing him against and invisible wall at 8:40.

I hope Day 1 fixes the pop in but I'm not holding my breath. The large crowds aren't worth it, imo, if it can't be fixed.

I don't think they can fix it, it reminds me of earlier UE3 games which suffered from similar issues. The frame rate is uneven even indoors which tells me the engine isn't very optimized yet. Maybe next years game will fair better.

I really never quite understand the hate for AC's gameplay. You have plenty of variation to tackle your objectives in Unity and the combat is overhauled towards an extent that countering is never going to be effective, thus running away and hiding becomes more prominent.

I never hear complaints that shooters have the same gameplay. That each scenario is always shooting the same enemy until it dies.

I never hear complaints about driving games. That each track is a simple line forward with a few twists and turns.

I never hear complaints about fighting games. That each battle is you constantly using the same 2-3 buttons to punch/kick an opponent.

But everything is boring in AC. The traversal. The combat. The objectives. The extra's.

You're obfuscating the point a bit. Great mechanics are fun and satisfying even after the 500th hour, regardless of how repetitive they are. AC has never really nailed its combat or stealth mechanics in this sense; quite the opposite, actually.

Dr Dogg

I really liked the way Black Flag handled object generation and LOD scaling where it would fade the levels in gradually over each other so it was a bit more seemless. This looks exactly like ACIII where NPCs just magically come into existance and then have 2 or 3 levels of scaling that swap out as you close the distance to them which pretty much has been the case since ACII.

Hundreds of NPCs who stood around and did nothing and/or ran when two people got into a sword fight... The crowds are huge, but they just seem so un-interactable... what's the point? That just seems more like more people to get in the way when running and not much else.

Kind of how I felt with Hitman Absolution. "Wow there's 100's of individual NPCs on screen... that do nothing but act as an interactive hidespot".

You're obfuscating the point a bit. Great mechanics are fun and satisfying even after the 500th hour, regardless of how repetitive they are. AC has never really nailed its combat or stealth mechanics in this sense; quite the opposite, actually.

Hence the reason as to why I say that Unity seems to be doing the things that has been promised since the very first AC.

Multiple ways to tackle your objective, combat mechanics that will usually end up in your death unless you run and hide and stealth mechanics that seem to be heavily borrowed from the last Splinter Cell.

I am not saying that Unity seems to be the best of all things but there are people here who make it seem that the AC games have by far the worst gameplay mechanics in comparison to every single AAA title.

I really never quite understand the hate for AC's gameplay.

The traversal is clumsy and it's quite easy to accidentally do something you don't mean to. The stealth mechanics have historically been really bad. And the fighting is braindead easy. There are no difficulty settings, either.

After people complained in AC1 that there wasn't enough variety, ACII started introducing new layers to the game that weren't part of the central game. In each annual installment after ACII, these got progressively more bloated. They're all pretty shallow, and it wasn't until the sailing got introduced that we had something people seemed to like. Ubibloat and Ubification are terms coined regarding the proliferation of broadly meaningless side-content and convergence of all their open world games into feeling like homogenized, overblown busywork simulators.

While they added more and more "stuff that isn't Assassin's Creed to prevent you getting too bored", the core gameplay issues were never addressed. AC:U looks like it might have improved stealth, but I'll hold my judgement there until I play it.

Looks really good and the crowd simulation seems really nice but I think I'm done with the typical Assassin's Creed gameplay. No Assassin's Creed for me this November, I'm much more excited by GTAV which I haven't played yet (was waiting for a PC/PS4 edition and here it comes).

Beefy

Or it's people have different opinions then you?

COD got boring the same shit game after game they changed it up. For a franchise that has run this long it is obvious some people will get bored if the game mechanic is the same all the time.

DOWN

Banned
It's like NeoGAF thinks AC is a lasting AAA series for no reason. I find their vision of Paris stunning and incredibly standout. This series has an identity that I'm quite fond of - history, traversal, skirmishes and then some.

The traversal is clumsy and it's quite easy to accidentally do something you don't mean to. The stealth mechanics have historically been really bad. And the fighting is braindead easy. There are no difficulty settings, either.

All of which seem to get fixed in Unity but I agree that the stealth mechanics were practically non-existent in the previous titles, which lead to more frustration where getting caught leads to an instant mission failure.

Or it's people have different opinions then you?

I never denied that, did I?

Nokterian

After people complained in AC1 that there wasn't enough variety, ACII started introducing new layers to the game that weren't part of the central game. In each annual installment after ACII, these got progressively more bloated. They're all pretty shallow, and it wasn't until the sailing got introduced that we had something people seemed to like. Ubibloat and Ubification are terms coined regarding the proliferation of broadly meaningless side-content and convergence of all their open world games into feeling like homogenized, overblown busywork simulators.

While they added more and more "stuff that isn't Assassin's Creed to prevent you getting too bored", the core gameplay issues were never addressed. AC:U looks like it might have improved stealth, but I'll hold my judgement there until I play it.

Vote with your wallet is the answer i stopped playing after Brotherhood (still my favorite though) also because there was MP it felt fresh and clean i loved it and it was being a true assassin. Just hide and kill other players felt so damn good using the tricks of the trade i am not saying i was the best in the game but holy damn i did kill a lot of them because of there stupid decisions.

The crowd looked nice, and the graphical problems looked like things we have seen before in AC games. Maybe if they dropped resolution to 720p we'd get less people appearing out of thin air... Or longer dev cycle, or making the game ps4 exclusive, but neither of those are going to happen.

GYNGA

Looks pretty good to me. I love the look of the lighting. The number of NPCs is very impressive but the pop-ins are quite distracting.

Beefy

All of which seem to get fixed in Unity but I agree that the stealth mechanics were practically non-existent in the previous titles, which lead to more frustration where getting caught leads to an instant mission failure.

I never denied that, did I?

The way your post read, it seemed people that didn't complain about other boring game mechanics shouldn't complain about AC.

SeanTSC

The crowd looked nice, and the graphical problems looked like things we have seen before in AC games. Maybe if they dropped resolution to 720p we'd get less people appearing out of thin air... Or longer dev cycle, or making the game ps4 exclusive, but neither of those are going to happen.

The pop-in probably doesn't have a whole lot to do with resolution. You'd still probably get just as much at 720p. It might curb some, but not most of it. Usually pop-in is a combination of stuff dealing with RAM and HDD loading. With a lot of games you can mitigate much of it by running off a better/faster HDD or SSD. This was especially true with Unreal Engine 3. I imagine that AC:U is almost certainly effected by the PS4/XB1's base config being kinda shitty 5400 RPM HDDs on a SATA2 bus. It's possibly a lot smaller issue for PC owners with SSDs on full SATA3 busses.

Vizzeh

Banned
It's like NeoGAF thinks AC is a lasting AAA series for no reason. I find their vision of Paris stunning and incredibly standout. This series has an identity that I'm quite fond of - history, traversal, skirmishes and then some.

Which is why I enjoy AC so much, there is alot to be said for the combat which seems like easy mode, 1 button mashing + traversal has "apparently" been fixed to include smooth downward climbing.

A little more assassin related story would be nice and a little less of the contemporary settings. The history + new city exploration + architectures is the main draw for me (with the slick assassins elements when they include them, or indeed the pirate them was a decent 50/50 split in black flag)

PR and stupid reasoning/treating customers like idiots with illogical technical babel, Parity etc is what is fucking up AC:Unity. We know what they all are, so I won't bother rehashing them over again. But their the reasoning im potentially skipping the first AC game.

Shabad

The pop-up, LOD issues and general bluriness (some of it may be from that video compression though) are really annoying. I kinda wish they would consider decreasing the amount of people on screen...

But you called people with different opinions than you "childish".

Nope. Never said that.

I said that some people have blind hate for every single AC game that got released and for the one that needs to be released without actually reading up on the big changes that are present in Unity.

''It looks great but it looks to be the same boring AC''

That is what I reacted on. It's an opinion, I agree. But it is not an opinion filled with views as to why he or she thought it was boring.

Some people just bash every single AC game because it is created by Ubisoft. I have read past dozens of posts from the previous Unity threads and there is a substantial hate for this company going on here.

Perhaps I am starting to become biased with a lot of Unity bashing posts around here. The last few days I have seen the new low on GAF.

People comparing Unity to a PS2 game or iOS game and what not..

eot

Banned

That's why I never understood the ungodly amount praise for AC2, it felt like a bloated, unfocused version of AC1. But then I'm one of those people who didn't mind the repetition in AC1.

DOWN

Banned
Easy escape here but i hope you're not naive enougth to think they'll all magically dispaear on release (and they had no problem to relase ground zero with them)
okay to give more context, they said in their demos they are in progress on improvements and have finished some aspects of lighting and cover interactions, so there's obviously hope for that retail build since it already has some things better than Ground Zeroes at least, and it doesn't have a release date yet.

bj00rn_

Banned
I knew those leaked screens were misleading.. In motion, minus the pop-in (and res), it arguably looks as good as some certain PS4 exclusives, so I'm not sure why the drama.

Beefy

Nope. Never said that.

I said that some people have blind hate for every single AC game that got released and for the one that needs to be released without actually reading up on the big changes that are present in Unity.

That is what I reacted on. It's an opinion, I agree. But it is not an opinion filled with views as to why he or she thought it was boring.

Some people just bash every single AC game because it is created by Ubisoft. I have read past dozens of posts from the previous Unity threads and there is a substantial hate for this company going on here.

I wonder why people hate Ubi tho..... they do themselves no favours at all. There is no reason to protect them, they are a huge company that has mugged gamers time after time. Long as their games sell loads they won't give a shit. Their PR has been the worse I have seen in ages, people have every right to have a go.

How about a PC game from 25 years ago?

openworldgamingr8q85.png

There is just so much more they could be doing.

Vizzeh

Banned

People use negatives and pick holes in their games when they dislike what a company is doing. Alot of the negatives are 100% justified and some of them involve core AC broken mechanics have existed since the beginning of AC though no improvements made.

If their PR + Ubisoft as a company treated their customers better, with more genuine reasoning, less of the "parity" talk and acknowledgement of fixing some of the core AC issues (which in some cases perhaps they are) Then people will likely be more forgiving in their criticisms. Its natural to find reasons to "hate on" & air your distaste to the company you dislike & in some cases, do so because you want to see them improve on something you enjoy in a kind of: Will they learn from this outrage?

Honestly, looks really good. The animations are so perfect.

I was just thinking how ridiculous the animations look:

- running at super slow speed -> stops -> animation that looks like you barely managed to stay together after running down a super steep hill
- panther jumps where you are horizontally at mid air, jumping from a balcony to a marquee and somehow managing to stop your forward velocity when you miraculously grab the thing
- every move ends in a spin like you were in a breakdancing parkour krew (not to mention how silly it looks when you clip through everything like in 0:30)

Nokterian

Nope. Never said that.

Perhaps I am starting to become biased with a lot of Unity bashing posts around here. The last few days I have seen the new low on GAF.

These days there games are Quantity instead of Quality. 10 to 15 studios working on 1 game is insane and it doesn't guarantee a good game at all. Another reason they won't get my money because it looks all the same on every single game they bring out. And we have a right to complain because it's our money and they need to wake the fuck up to understand that pumping out such mass games is ridiculous.

This year alone 2 AC games..wtf that is milking the cow to infinity.

Wow.. the framerate is horrible. Yet another game that taxes the next-gen consoles so easily. This doesn't bode well for them in the next few years.

On a positive note, the animation and graphics look pretty good!

Auctopus

Game looks great visually, certainly better than Black Flag. The months old build that I Played was much worse than this.

But that pop-in has to go, some of it's horrifically blatant.

MaLDo

That crowd pop-in is the single most immersion-breaking form of pop-in that I have ever seen. By far. The crowd size is simply *not* worth it to deal with that and they should have trimmed the cap down to a point to where it could never happen.

Agree.

Top Bottom