• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked AC Unity gameplay videos up in the wild (edit: re-uploaded)

njean777

Grimløck;136937488 said:
crowd density is nice; pop-in is not. gameplay looks quintessentially assassin's creed for better or worse. i loved the naval parts of black flag. is there anything here to change up the gameplay?

I hope not, the naval stuff was great in AC3 as you could go and do it whenever and not be forced to do it, but in 4 it made the game boring to me. I like the naval combat in short bursts, not all the damn time like it was in 4.

braves01

Banned
I don't know much about the time period but surely they had more than one roof colour...

At least the giant piles and carts of hay are accurate, since based on the Assassin's Creed series, they have been ubiquitous throughout history.

Vire

Also, why the running sound effect so damn loud? The clomping against the floor is incredibly distracting.

woen

I don't know much about the time period but surely they had more than one roof colour...

Rooftops in Paris are mainly made with slate and zinc, so this is why you have this blue (at least in some districts).

PARIS_rooftops_2.jpg

Yasae

Banned
Okay, I've not exactly religiously kept up with every spec of detail with this game, but I distinctly remember from E3 something about controlled descent. Is that still a major feature here, because I'm still seeing the ol' leap of faith into carts of hay move?

What exactly has changed with the parkour?
It's still in I (mapped to circle in the vid - "course libre bas"). It's a nice feature to have added, but considering the heights of some buildings in this game it probably ended up being a design necessity. The leap of faith is simply convenience as its always been.

FLAguy954

The crowd pop-up is noticable but the game looks great even at 900p. PS4 owners are in for a treat if the can keep the game a steady 30 fps.

RS4-

Lol, the pop in and frame rate, and what's up with the slow mo fighting.

On top of the vaseline effect, they're now fightning under water?

Yasae

Banned
2. Combat is way too slow and lasts for way too long. Animations need to be sped up and enemy health halved, at least. Should be swift and efficient.
Eh, but this is the recurring theme of every bit of combat shown on GAF for every game in existence, barring maybe Dark Souls. Make it faster.

FF XV? Make it faster.
Dragon Age? Make it faster.
Lords of the Fallen? Make it faster.

It's far too subjective of a complaint and it's repeated ad nauseum here.

Sami+

The crowd pop-up is noticable but the game looks great even at 900p. PS4 owners are in for a treat if the can keep the game a steady 30 fps.

Honestly they've leap-frogged over "noticeable" straight into "extremely distracting". I was impressed for a flat second before seeing people pop into the universe from the Twilight Zone every two seconds

Shredderi

I like what I'm seeing. Reminds me a lot of Assassin's Creed 2. That's a good thing.

Same. It's propably the city for me.

Why the fuck haven't they animated the hay in the cart when you dive into it from 500 feet in the air?

Suprisingly, this was my biggest problem with the video. So jarring when the hay doesn't react. I mean can it be that hard to apply even a non-physic based, baked animation that plays when you hit the hay?

So much pop
Black Crush pop and NPC pop

POP

POP = Prince of Persia fucking confirmed!

RedSwirl

The scale of the city is definitely on another level from any previous Assassin's Creed game, but other wise this looks A LOT like Assassni's Creed II, which is kind of disappointing given what previews have said. Unity is supposed to make a lot of really fundamental changes to the formula.

Hopefully what they've said about missions being a lot more open-ended and less linear is true. Same for the supposedly redone stealth mechanics and overall more systemic gameplay. It's what I've always thought AC needed. Other than the scale the only real difference I see here is that there are no more guards on rooftops.

The pop-in is worrying, and damn it's kinda blurry. But the scale is pretty damn impressive. The city looks like an actual city size wise and that is a hell of a lot of NPCs. Despite what I'm seeing here in spots, it does look pretty impressive where it counts, but that pop-in is that "1st year and were really trying to push the tech" feel. Like mass effect 1, but I'm not sure if it was as excusable as it was there. Also, frame drops.

Teletraan1

Banned
1000 people in a crowd is not impressive when their clothes are popping in all over the time. Really horrible.

My favorite is the hats that just pop on people. In some cases they have no brim until they get within so close to the character and then boom huge sun hat. It is so distracting seeing clothes a pop'in while you are running around.

My favorite is the hats that just pop on people. In some cases they have no brim until they get within so close to the character and then boom huge sun hat. It is so distracting seeing clothes a pop'in while you are running around.

It's probably an error with how the game is handling the different LOD models. With that many NPCs it can't be easy to manage.

So it looks and runs like an AC game then. We got the occasional framerate drops and characters/ buildings popping in. Graphics are quite nice and the lighting is great. The blurriness that we see looks like the game is giving a call back to AC1. Well to me it looks like the visual aesthetics were meant to reminiscent of the first game. Seeing it in motion the game looks good, but damn those fucking crowds. They look like a pain in the ass to get through
just like real life
, and it looked fairly hilarious.

Jachaos

The pop in is really annoying. It's too bad because the visuals look nice. I also agree that without ambient music, this doesn't feel as great as AC II's exploring of Firenze with the Jesper Kyd soundtrack.

Hamlet

Looks pretty decent in motion. Noticeable amount of pop in proves distracting though.
The amount of NPCs is pretty impressive.

Mifune

Mehmber
Animation is gorgeous. Pop-in has never once kept me from enjoying a video game and I doubt that will be the case here.

I really want to see some mission footage though.

Scale and animations looked nice - but still not that impressed with it overall. Technically.

Still excited to play it though - day 1 - but for sure on PC.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Surprised it managed to stay up for so long.

We are all in Europe so no one was around. I actually have trouble sleeping so I just saw that while browsing on my tablet, otherwise I wouldn't have done anything until quite a few more hours. This really really sucks.

i gotta say.
The fact they everyone is speaking french is much MUCH better. I hope you can get subs and let everyone speak french because that makes sense. None of this British accents because American audience trash, that was such a turnoff for me.

Besides the blurriness and the pop-in, looks pretty great.

I hope there is a good day one patch to polish things up.
Pop in is noticeable, but the parkour and gameplay looks good. Also like that they told the truth about crowd events like them appearing in front of churches and other places to riot. Framerate doesn't look anywhere near as bad as the xb1 build a month ago, even when the crowd starts to run. For comparison,
xbox one build.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsoG7d_ZGY0

The game doesn't look that blurry in this video.

The main character animation isn't getting enough praise. It's the best I've ever seen, a step above Naughty Dog and Rockstar's products (so far). So much variety and detail, so fluid.
This is why the game looks much better in motion than screenshots.

stufte

i gotta say.
The fact they everyone is speaking french is much MUCH better. I hope you can get subs and let everyone speak french because that makes sense. None of this British accents because American audience trash, that was such a turnoff for me.

It's from the french version of the game...

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
i gotta say.
You can play the game in French with english subtitles.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Heh, got past your filters.

I guess we are back to manual validation for all videos, right now the system puts it online until a moderator removes it if need be. We didn't have any incidents for months so I had just changed the approval system :(

This is a nice critique for a game that is still in development. Unfortunately, this is the final version of the game.

Unless the day one patch does miracles in regards to framerate and pop in... but I'm not exactly holding my breath.

I agree. I wasn't looking at it as a project still in development, those will be issues throughout the experience unless, as you say, they release a miracle patch.

With that said, good mission design and city interaction can absolutely save the game despite those issues. Unfortunately it's a Ubisoft title and they haven't proved capable in either category.

Eh, but this is the recurring theme of every bit of combat shown on GAF for every game in existence, barring maybe Dark Souls. Make it faster.

FF XV? Make it faster.
Dragon Age? Make it faster.
Lords of the Fallen? Make it faster.

It's far too subjective of a complaint and it's repeated ad nauseum here.

Well it's an assassin game with lethal weapons, grounded human enemies, and an athletic protagonist. You shouldn't be sitting there hacking with a sword to the body 5-10 times before some random kill animation against lightly armored enemies. It's slow, and lacking in impact and flow. I can't speak for those other games, but Assassin's Creed has always had awkward combat.

The main character animation isn't getting enough praise. It's the best I've ever seen, a step above Naughty Dog and Rockstar's products (so far). So much variety and detail, so fluid.
Shadow of Mordor is damn impressive, too.
01_FightHeadOn_ENG_FR_DE.gif

inMfy4ydFt0U1.gif

Cloth physics and rain is the measurement of next gen.

I guess it doesn't look too bad. By far, the only impressive thing is the amount of NPCs on the screen but I did see:

frame rate drops
generic combat
Horrible NPC textures/models
More of the same generic AC gameplay
Pretty bad pop up
A horrible UI.

I was pretty pumped about this game several months ago but I have pretty much lost all interest. I'll definitely pick it up when it's $30 or less though. Maybe by then, there will have been enough patches to help improvements.

There isn't a day one 'Bad-Aid' big enough for this bullet riddled corpse.

Top Bottom