• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked Battlefront info (40 players, heroes, free Ep7 DLC, FPS & TPS) [Full Screens]

Dawg

I never expected a true "cinematic" campaign mode. So the game lacking that doesn't bother me at all. Space battles is a bigger issue. This is Star Wars. STAR WARS. I appreciate DICE wanting to make ground battles as good as possible, but I'm honestly surprised they couldn't even get a single space battle map in. I seriously hope this won't be DLC. I'd rather they leave it for the sequel, then. I'm just disappointed we're two generations further since Battlefront 2 and this franchise is actually taking a step backward with that choice, in my opinion.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually liked the "bots campaign" from the older Battlefront games. I think it was the sequel that had some kind of galactic conquest mode. I thought that was cool, it was just you trying to take over every single planet, combined with space battles. I was hoping DICE would improve on this idea. I loved playing the campaign mode together with my brother in splitscreen modus. Sometimes, the enemy AI would crush our forces and it would be just me and my brother against an entire army. I loved that. I know this game will have missions, but I'm skeptical about them. Battlefield 3 had co-op missions too and I didn't like those.

Renekton

Yeah, after titanfall I'm pretty much done buying AAA console shooters on PC. The PC gaming community seems to have moved on for the most part, with almost every game becoming a ghost town after a month or so.

I mean I think the game sounds like fun, but who knows if the community will be active enough to support it and it's knowingly insane DLC map pack racket.
I got Titanfall on Origin and was for some time unable to complete the story campaign due to matchmaking woes. Not like Titanfall was a bad game.

Bluth54

It's too bad the game has no space battles, I love big space battles and I was really wanting to see the space Battle of Endor.

HariKari

Yeah, after titanfall I'm pretty much done buying AAA console shooters on PC. The PC gaming community seems to have moved on for the most part, with almost every game becoming a ghost town after a month or so.

I mean I think the game sounds like fun, but who knows if the community will be active enough to support it and it's knowingly insane DLC map pack racket.

The PC shooter crowd has different tastes. Some games are simply not balanced with the PC in mind, Hardline being one of them. A lower TTK, buffed attatchments, and buffed AR damage was about the last thing anyone wanted in a Battlefield game on the PC. Maybe it works on consoles, but the game is a mess on PC, which is why the community has resoundingly rejected it. Titanfall had very little content.

I'm sure Battlefront will do well and have a sizable community. It wouldn't surprise me if it approached BF4 levels. It's a massive IP and a sequel to a beloved game.

I am not too sad about the lack of space battles. I think they have a tough job just to nail all the other mechanics as it is pretty big scope even without the space battles.

tensuke

I never expected a true "cinematic" campaign mode. So the game lacking that doesn't bother me at all. Space battles is a bigger issue. This is Star Wars. STAR WARS. I appreciate DICE wanting to make ground battles as good as possible, but I'm honestly surprised they couldn't even get a single space battle map in. I seriously hope this won't be DLC. I'd rather they leave it for the sequel, then. I'm just disappointed we're two generations further since Battlefront 2 and this franchise is actually taking a step backward with that choice, in my opinion.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually liked the "bots campaign" from the older Battlefront games. I think it was the sequel that had some kind of galactic conquest mode. I thought that was cool, it was just you trying to take over every single planet, combined with space battles. I was hoping DICE would improve on this idea. I loved playing the campaign mode together with my brother in splitscreen modus. Sometimes, the enemy AI would crush our forces and it would be just me and my brother against an entire army. I loved that. I know this game will have missions, but I'm skeptical about them. Battlefield 3 had co-op missions too and I didn't like those.

I completely agree with all your points, no space battles in a STAR WARS game makes me think it's just reskinned Battlefield, which would be the ultimate meh. I'll cautiously hold out hope for good sp/coop content but I'm guessing it's gonna be totally online mp focused as well. It probably won't even have awesome SW music. :mad:

also i guess i'm a few weeks late but missed you dawg

jesu

The PC shooter crowd has different tastes. Some games are simply not balanced with the PC in mind, Hardline being one of them. A lower TTK, buffed attatchments, and buffed AR damage was about the last thing anyone wanted in a Battlefield game on the PC. Maybe it works on consoles, but the game is a mess on PC, which is why the community has resoundingly rejected it. Titanfall had very little content.

I'm sure Battlefront will do well and have a sizable community. It wouldn't surprise me if it approached BF4 levels. It's a massive IP and a sequel to a beloved game.

Titanfall launched with 15 maps.
I'd be surprised if Battlefront has more than that.

I'm not even going to bother. PC Gamer pissed me off yesterday. Their assumptions (lol only 4 maps) created dozens of pages of unfounded bitching.

I've preordered and I am excited, nothing short of this being secretly laden with microtransactions will deter me.

im with you brother. I have been reading allot of moaning from all over the place but that's to be expected with a title as big as this one coming up. I bought BFH, it can't be worst then that right? lol.

THEaaron

No ADS? That's lame. Why are we rejecting the advances made in FPS since Battlefront 2?

ADS is just a mechanic. It is not advanced in some way it's just there for specific design decisions. Counter Strike for example is a shooter done right without ADS. I wish there were more games without it. Adds much to the skill ceiling.

HariKari

Titanfall launched with 15 maps.
I'd be surprised if Battlefront has more than that.

Maps aren't the only measure of content. Even then, they need to be good maps. Something DICE hasn't really been known for lately. I hope they tailor the maps to the modes and really nail it. The lower playercount is hopefully a sign of that.

ADS is just a mechanic. It is not advanced in some way it's just there for specific design decisions. Counter Strike for example is a shooter done right without ADS. I wish there were more games without it. Adds much to the skill ceiling.

ADS encourages campy behavior and slows the game down. Battlefront will be better off if it ends up not having it.

Skyzard

Banned
No one wanted battlefield cops. Why would they, BF4 has jets :)P) and isn't that old (neither was BF3). PC gamers are heavily into multiplayer.

Everyone wants battlefront, it's a new star wars game that has great potential.

HariKari

We might be singing the same tune again begining of next year.

Many people have wanted this game for a long time. It's not comparable to Titanfall, a game which was going to have limited PC appeal to begin with, or Hardline, a game nobody asked for or liked (on PC).

If it's a jumbled technical mess stuffed to the gills with monetization and inconvenient bullshit, yeah, PC gamers will reject it. You can't resell most PC games. If I could buy a game and then reliably flip it for a healthy portion of the purchase price on PC, you'd see more people buying borderline games like Hardline, but you can't. Asking people to shell out money for what is perceived as a mod is also not going to fly.

This game has been one of the most wanted games for ten years, and is going to be tied into arguably the biggest movie release of the decade. It's not going to fail. Whether or not it lives on as a great game by itself is debatable. No space battles is a really bad sign in that regard.

If I could only get one game this year, it would be this. 40 player cap sounds like a good decision, I'm glad they've included bots and I like the different game types they've been discussing.

I completely agree with all your points, no space battles in a STAR WARS game makes me think it's just reskinned Battlefield, which would be the ultimate meh. I'll cautiously hold out hope for good sp/coop content but I'm guessing it's gonna be totally online mp focused as well. It probably won't even have awesome SW music. :mad:

also i guess i'm a few weeks late but missed you dawg

Im really starting to hate this "reskinned" word...

BokehKing

Banned
Personally I think maps are more important than unlocks.
And gameplay trumps all.
With out unlocks, the game gets boring, I can only play the same game with the same gun for so long before I get bored. Where are my options? Where is my choice of weapons I may do horrible with in the beginning but eventually master

I completely forgot about the Galactic Conquest mode in the previous games. That's what I played the most over those two games and it is really disappointing that it will not be in this iteration. Like you said, splitscreen in that mode was some of the most fun I had playing a game. Nothing like the feeling of completely destroying the other team with just two people :p

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
uz2kWkm.png

HariKari

I love how you think the people who love ADS is simply "a few people"

It's a little after 5 AM where I'm at. There are 440k people playing a game right now that has no ADS, easily clearing all of the Battlefield games combined. It's not for every game, and the inclusion of it is not some automatic plus or the sign of great design. If you want ADS in a game where it has no actual gameplay benefit, that's fine. You're just going to die a whole lot.

dumbo

This game has been one of the most wanted games for ten years, and is going to be tied into arguably the biggest movie release of the decade. It's not going to fail. Whether or not it lives on as a great game by itself is debatable. No space battles is a really bad sign in that regard.

If battlefront had a space combat element, then it might be problematic for EA *if* they were considering relaunching the x-wing/tie-fighter franchise...

BokehKing

Banned
It's a little after 5 AM where I'm at. There are 440k people playing a game right now that has no ADS, easily clearing all of the Battlefield games combined. It's not for every game, and the inclusion of it is not some automatic plus or the sign of great design. If you want ADS in a game where it has no actual gameplay benefit, that's fine. You're just going to die a whole lot.
What game is this? Counter strike? It's not halo MCC that's for sure.

I don't game on pc, I don't know anyone in my life that plays counter strike, or even games on a PC, they play on consoles. On consoles, the only fps game I can think of that still lives in the stone age, is halo (which fell off a cliff once other shooters evolved past basic fps combat)

Thanks for your concern, I'll die a whole lot, we will see about that.

Needless to say, neither of you know how many ppl love ads or not. And a popularity of a game is not a metric either. I love cod, and find it fun. But not because it has ads.
It's not just COD, people get stuck on that, COD, COD, COD... Battlefield uses it, Farcry, Destiny.. Wolfenstein... Even 3rd person shooters give you a zoom in option (not traditional ads but you hold L2 and brings the camera in closer)

People may not play those games for ADS, but the option is nice.

So reskinned battlefield nice even down to the voice overs and no sp coop campaign theses guys f$€king suck.
Battlefield is third-person, has bots and split-screen?

Sounds like this game has everything Battlefront fans were asking for, but because it's Evil Uncle EA there has to be something wrong.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So reskinned battlefield nice even down to the voice overs and no sp coop campaign theses guys f$€king suck.

...but it literally has single player / co-op campaignish missions.

If it had a typical cinematic, linear driven campaign it would be literally Battlefield 3/4.

EDIT: LIBERAL INCORRECT USE OF LITERALLY WOO

Ark

We might be singing the same tune again begining of next year.

I doubt it. No body wanted Hardline and Titanfall had nothing that appealed to the PC market. Battlefront is not only a DICE game, but Battlefront 2 was still popular online before the servers shut down.

But I'm not going to bother arguing with people over this. Too many people seem to have decided to shit all over this game without even seeing any gameplay.

RSB

Banned
What game is this? Counter strike? It's not halo MCC that's for sure.

I don't game on pc, I don't know anyone in my life that plays counter strike, or even games on a PC, they play on consoles. On consoles, the only fps game I can think of that still lives in the stone age, is halo (which fell off a cliff once other shooters evolved past basic fps combat)

Thanks for your concern, I'll die a whole lot, we will see about that.
Actually, it fell off a cliff once it started following what other "modern" shooters were doing. LOL at the "stone age" comment BTW. If anything, FPS have been devolving in the past decade. I'd gladly play games like Quake, UT, Counter-Strike, Halo CE, TF2, etc, over most "modern" shooters.

And yes, I'm pretty sure he means Counter-Strike (so good)

OK and like I was saying, the people I game with, don't play pc games, they play console games, and they definitely don't play halo anymore that's for sure.

Honestly I see no point in even going into fps mode when you can easily be out maneuvered by someone in third person.
Yeah, well, no matter what shooters you play, his point still stands. There's nothing inherently modern about ADS (or inherently archaic about games that don't have it) and obviously a game can still be amazingly popular without it. Guess the sad state of modern console shooters blinded you to these facts...

Tovarisc

I'm interested see what their DLC/Premium plans include.

Also isn't "Battle of Jakku" pre-order bonus and otherwise costs moneys?

Tovarisc

Battle of Jakku is free to everyone but a pre-order gets you it on December 1st and no pre-order gets you it on December 8th.

Small little detail Origin.com forgot to say :b

Also DDE gives for instant use;

• Han Solo’s Blaster
  • Ion Detonator
  • MPL Ion Torpedo

That said no hype train for me even when reveal trailer and details do look promising. Need wait out on actual, extensive, gameplay footage and such.

To add another opinion about ADS, whether or not a game has it won't affect my purchase decision, but that said I'd prefer a game doesn't have it. And it's not about options, I know I can ignore ADS but if the game is balanced such that hop fire is extremely inaccurate and everyone else is using ADS then me choosing not to use ADS isn't the same as a game without it.

What is silly is the that in nearly every game with ADS you are already aiming. There is a reticle when looking from the hip. So why do you need to press a button to aim again? All it does is forces you and your enemies to move slower making them easier to hit. That slow pace is fine in some games, I prefer the faster pace in non ADS games (which people call arcadey as if that's supposed to be a bad thing?)

Skyzard

Banned

8 is not enough after a month tbh. Neither is 4 'worlds' (especially if some are a combination of the others' environments).

Hopefully "more than 8" turns out to be at least 10 at launch*. It's not like you can go play the campaign to mix it up.

I was hoping there was going to be a trend of not charging for new maps but guess that's too much to ask.

*although that wouldn't add up if there was going to be more than 2 per world at launch. In fact it'd have to be at least 12 right (with 4 worlds)?

Seems a bit ... unclear.

Wait, is that second tweet a reply?

Top Bottom