• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked iPhone 7 Plus Design = iPhone 6 Plus w/o Headphone Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Do you guys know how long it takes to charge an Apple Pencil? An Apple mouse? Minutes. They'll do the same with headphones. It's a non issue.
Exactly what I said. The batteries will charge in 15 seconds and last all day. And in the chance they run out while you're listening, it'll be a quick 15 seconds to fix that issue.

The storage case itself will probably have its own battery in it for charging on the road and you'd charge the case itself. Possibly alternatively with an optional adapter that charges it from the iPhone itself.

I'm sure Apple has figured everything out. People are freaking out prematurely. I say wait for it to show up first before declaring gloom and doom. Who knows, it might be the best thing to happen to headphones and cell phones. Or it might be the worst. How can you know until October when people start getting their phones?

RedStep

I'm sure Apple has figured everything out. People are freaking out prematurely.

You keep coming up with these perfect-world scenarios that don't exist - the amazing quality of Apple's current earbuds/earpods, lightning cables, etc show that they are not the world's greatest engineers. They're just good at selling.

There is no reason we couldn't have these magical, instant-charging wireless headsets now. Hell, if they're that amazing, they'd be selling like hotcakes now and driving that transition.

Wireless networking didn't succeed and improve because all the ethernet ports disappeared - those are still there, but the use case for wireless is there and people want it. Wireless headsets are a bitch to deal with and are sitting on shelves. The hassle isn't worth saving 4 feet of thin cable between your head and pocket.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
You keep coming up with these perfect-world scenarios that don't exist - the amazing quality of Apple's current earbuds/earpods, lightning cables, etc show that they are not the world's greatest engineers. They're just good at selling.

There is no reason we couldn't have these magical, instant-charging wireless headsets now. Hell, if they're that amazing, they'd be selling like hotcakes now and driving that transition.

Wireless networking didn't succeed and improve because all the ethernet ports disappeared - those are still there, but the use case for wireless is there and people want it. Wireless headsets are a bitch to deal with and are sitting on shelves. The hassle isn't worth saving 4 feet of thin cable between your head and pocket.
Exactly. We didn't start carrying cell phones because someone stole all of the pay phones.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Lightning will be gone soon as well. I foresee the smart connectors being the main port for charging and other things soon. Everything will be wireless within 5-7 years I foresee.

Oh that's good to hear, thanks. Althoug $100?? Ouch. Want one though. Not even kidding that if the 7 has a magnetic charging dock using the smart connector that might be enough to make me upgrade. I hate the Lightning Charging dock - using the cable on its own is quicker and easier. It just isn't well designed for easy docking

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My biggest problem with non-standard headphones is not easily picking a £5 pair up from the train station when I inevitably leave mine at home. I suppose being apple you're still likely to get some lightning ones sold but they'll be more expensive by default if they are digital and require a DAC (and apple lightning connector licensing fee)

I'm not defending the loss of the 3.5mm jack here but

people keep saying "but I won't be able to charge my phone and use headphones at the same time!" and I'm sitting here wondering legit who the fuck does that

nib95

Banned

people keep saying "but I won't be able to charge my phone and use headphones at the same time!" and I'm sitting here wondering legit who the fuck does that

I've done it countless times, literally too many to count. Usually at the end of the night when I'm in bed and want to charge the phone but also kick back to some music, or on rarer occasion when I'm on planes, trains, stations etc.

I do it in my car, I plug it into my AUX port and then keep it charging while I drive. If I had CarPlay or a BlueTooth radio I wouldn't have to but, alas.

nib95

Banned
I'm a tad confused. Looking over the schematic again, I just realised the device is not actually any thinner than the 6S, in fact it's exactly the same thickness at 7.1mm. Earlier it was reported the new device would be 6.2mm, so I guess that wasn't true?

Secondly, if not a thinner device, why are they removing the port? I can't imagine it'd allow for that much of a bigger battery, since looking at teardowns online, it doesn't look like the internal port for 3.5mm actually takes up much more space than the internal port for lightning, and the two are adjacent to each other and dictate how physically large the battery can actually be.

Thirdly, again based on the schematics, there's no rumoured second speaker for stereo sound either, which is disappointing. If this removal of the 3.5mm port change really is just to trojan horse firewire or usb-c headphones, or to simply get the antenna brackets from the rear in to the internals, that will be even more disappointing. Other manufacturers seem to manage just fine fitting in not only bigger batteries, but both ports, plus internal antenna, along with water proofing, removable micro SD card slots and smaller bezels to boot. I really do feel like Apple is really dropping the ball lately in terms of engineering and innovative mobile hardware design.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Secondly, if not a thinner device, why are they removing the port?
I've only said it a million times. To jump start the wireless revolution.

If you think a new standard can be developed alongside the incumbent and the new one develop just as fast without abandoning the old one, OK. You're wrong.

Two Words

If you think a new standard can be developed alongside the incumbent and the new one develop just as fast without abandoning the old one, OK. You're wrong.
Funny how pretty much every other new technology advances by demonstrating its superiority without the previous technology being arbitrarily vacated.

Nephtis

Makes you wonder how Jobs would've gone about this design decision. I don't want a radically different iPhone for every number jump, but at least put a little more effort than this.

The SE felt lazy, using an old design for what, nostalgia?

Think I may hold off uprading to a 7 even tho that would be my usually upgrade route. Probs just go for a sim only and keep my 6 for another year and see what happens on the 7s. If rumours are true and there's no big change.

Audioboxer

I'm a tad confused. Looking over the schematic again, I just realised the device is not actually any thinner than the 6S, in fact it's exactly the same thickness at 7.1mm. Earlier it was reported the new device would be 6.2mm, so I guess that wasn't true?

Secondly, if not a thinner device, why are they removing the port? I can't imagine it'd allow for that much of a bigger battery, since looking at teardowns online, it doesn't look like the internal port for 3.5mm actually takes up much more space than the internal port for lightning, and the two are adjacent to each other and dictate how physically large the battery can actually be.

Thirdly, again based on the schematics, there's no rumoured second speaker for stereo sound either, which is disappointing. If this removal of the 3.5mm port change really is just to trojan horse firewire or usb-c headphones, or to simply get the antenna brackets from the rear in to the internals, that will be even more disappointing. Other manufacturers seem to manage just fine fitting in not only bigger batteries, but both ports, plus internal antenna, along with water proofing, removable micro SD card slots and smaller bezels to boot. I really do feel like Apple is really dropping the ball lately in terms of engineering and innovative mobile hardware design.

It's always been about money and always will be. That's the Apple way. Gouge on accessories and proprietary addons.

The thinner argument was the most nonsensical of the lot considering there is a 4.5mm Android phone with a 3.5mm stereo connection.

Harmen

I see people using headphones while charging their phone all time time, especially in the era of those external batteries. For watching yt vids, playing games, listening to music etc. In particular the former two can drain batteries quickly. I seriously consider this to be an extremely casual thing to do.

But as is, people will still be able to charge and use headphones, right? I thought EU laws soon will require the same charger for all phones, which isn't usb-c/lightning?

Frodo

I can't wait for Apple car to arrive without tires so it can kick start our flying car revolution.

AHA-Lambda

You really are becoming a parody of yourself now you know that?

Abraxas

There goes my upgrade. I've held off for 3 revisions so far. And this might push me over to the Z5 premium or something similar.

I wonder if my 5 can chug along for another generation. The 6 style body really doesn't do it for me.

Audioboxer

You really are becoming a parody of yourself now you know that?

It sounds like the digital only console future nonsense. Why not both?

Consumers have invested millions if not billions in wired headphones. Why? Because they simply work. Any wireless device while handy has to be charged. So its a trade off, convenience over not requiring a battery powered device. Digital is a convenience over needing to put it in a disc, but it's trade off is more expensive and no resale value.

So again, Apple fans, why not both? Why not allow people to choose? Yes I know wired headphones will still work on an iPhone but Apple are just being obtuse and forcing you to require their addon which may well be supplied in box but lose it and you will have to stump up more money. Forget it, and you have to run home/buy another when out. Break it because it sticks out of your phone, and you need to buy another.

It's a ridiculous move given how easy it is to put in a aux output. Doesn't impact on thinness or battery in any meaningful way. Look at the range and sizes of Android phones. Apple just like their proprietary standards, manage to use slick marketing to convince fans it's a better standard and milk their pockets dry. I do have to say well done to Apple for managing to do it so successfully. Nearly every other company gets a grilling and a refusal for proprietary standards (see Sonys attempts).

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Quit trying to box people in by calling them Apple fans. It's obnoxious and there's zero evidence of such bias. Just because people are bigger thinkers than "but but my century old 3.5mm" doesn't make them Apple fans.

You guys have the most ridiculous edge cases to justify your poor taste. It's as if headphones break all the time and your phone dies from listening to music if it isn't immediately plugged into a power source. Even more reason for technology to progress, if that's the current state of audio hardware.

KingWool

Banned

Uhhhh I do every damn day at work. Millions of us do.

-------

I can't wait for Apple car to arrive without tires so it can kick start our flying car revolution.

Frodo's response is probably the best in this thread. You don't REMOVE something to force a change in standards. A new technique is created and is implemented and then through time becomes the defacto standard replacing the old when/if people adopt it.

nib95

Banned
Audioboxer, quit trying to box people in by calling them Apple fans. It's obnoxious and there's zero evidence of such bias. Just because people are bigger thinkers than "but but my century old 3.5mm" doesn't make them Apple fans.

You guys have the most ridiculous edge cases to justify your poor taste. It's as if headphones break all the time and your phone dies from listening to music if it isn't immediately plugged into a power source. Even more reason for technology to progress, if that's the current state of audio hardware.

If it's not blind Apple fandom I don't know what it is. The ineptitude of your argument is that it relies on the complete assumption that for some reason a feature has to be removed in order for a different feature to be revolutionised or improved, which is asinine and not the way technology generally works. In my personal opinion your Apple fandom has essentially drawn you to not only pretend assumptions are facts, but at the same time allowed you to become more anti consumer and more accepting of even less value proposition.

Amusingly it does sort of remind me of the whole Xbox One DRM fiasco. There were a limited number of people like you on one side who basically said who cares about used games, ordinary retail media rights, being forced to be online etc, because it pushed us in to a new (far more constricted) digital only era, not as an alternative additive to what we already had, but forced upon us, providing even less value proposition. Naturally it was something that the vast majority of people didn't even want. And Microsoft's response to it all? Basically exactly what you said the page before, if you don't like it, there's an older product for you to buy instead. And we all know how that turned out them.

I'll be very interested to see how this works out for Apple as well.

Servbot24

Banned
Having the 3.5mm jack and wires hanging off your phone is definitely a problem, but at this point the current state of wireless headphone quality is a bigger problem.

Ideal world there's no 3.5 or lightning port on our phones and everything is wireless, but consumers shouldn't just be left in the cold for the next gen phone. A new solution needs to be introduced before the old one is taken away. If we just are moving our wired headphones over to the lightning port, there's no point to the change.

The Mule

Lol right. Because you'll need no battery in your iPhone of the future...

why couldn't a battery be transparent?

why couldn't the phone draw power from "ambient energy" e.g. heat, motion, radio waves/light?

but at this point the current state of wireless headphone quality is a bigger problem.

there's always room for improvement, but it's honestly not that bad.

You don't REMOVE something to force a change in standards. A new technique is created and is implemented and then through time becomes the defacto standard replacing the old when/if people adopt it.

that's simply not true.

SuperPac

Frodo's response is probably the best in this thread. You don't REMOVE something to force a change in standards. A new technique is created and is implemented and then through time becomes the defacto standard replacing the old when/if people adopt it.

Maybe that's been your perception of how things have worked after the fact, but we'd still be using tv/game switches on our consoles if we stuck with the old thing just because it was what everyone was used to.

nib95

Banned
Maybe that's been your perception of how things have worked after the fact, but we'd still be using tv/game switches on our consoles if we stuck with the old thing just because it was what everyone was used to.

Not really. The new thing generally has to be tangibly better than the old thing, in order that consumers transition over of their own accord. And it's not just about being better either, it also has to also be financially enticing, not too inconvenient and have decent enough value perception to be worthy of the upgrade by it's intended market.

The main instances where this rule doesn't necessarily apply is where the older tech or thing being replaced is already redundant, nonessential, overtly inconvenient or simply lacklustre. I wouldn't say any of these things apply to 3.5mm connections, especially comparative to USB-C or Firewire headphones, or to wireless audio tech. If anything 3.5mm is still the better tech, with the sole inconvenience being having a cable to contend with.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I'm way LTTP haven't been following any of the iPhone 7 stuff..I cannot fathom why anyone thinks getting rid of the 3.5mm audio jack is a good idea..?? Phones are thin enough as it is, between TVs and phones I don't understand this relentless desire to make things as thin as possible. What's the benefit at this point?

I'm seriously considering going to Samsung over this, my iPhone is my iPod and I've spent some serious money on high quality headphones. Fuck them and fuck this.

Audioboxer

Quit trying to box people in by calling them Apple fans. It's obnoxious and there's zero evidence of such bias. Just because people are bigger thinkers than "but but my century old 3.5mm" doesn't make them Apple fans.

Calling it as I see it, and to be honest until this was rumoured to be happening by Apple I seen absolutely no one running around saying why hasn't Apple and Google ditched 3.5mm yet? Why not? Because wireless works fine in co-existence with wired as things stand so there was no damn reason for anyone to ask for one to be taken away (or modified to a proprietary standard). Apple still want to allow you to be able to use wired headphones remember, they just want to make you use their expensive proprietary gadget, rather than the open standard which doesn't net them any $$$. You have to be pretty hardly indoctrinated into their marketing to think otherwise.

So, as I said, calling it as I see it. I have only seen a defence of it since the rumours started, and of no real surprise to myself it hasn't came from pro-Windows phone users.

You also seem to want the removal of stereo input completely, glossing over that fact above that Apple still want people to be able to used wired, just no doubt at one of their obscene costs (guyz we need $40 for a $1 made in china adapter because we are Apple).

samn

Earphones DO break all the time. I've had this experience with all brands, from low to mid price points. I replace them multiple times each year. Lightning headphones would be far more expensive to replace. I could use an inevitably expensive 3.5mm-Lightning Apple adapter, but Apple's own cables hardly stand up to much wear and tear themselves, so I'd just end up replacing that as well.

My iPhone 5s could not handle 8 hours of listening to streaming radio at work without dying halfway through the day, unless I kept it plugged in to my desktop.

Culex

Banned
I'm still on my 5s and don't see the need to upgrade yet. I'll wait for this fall to see what the new phone will entail

Malvolio

I've yet to see a compelling consumer argument on why the 3.5 jack needs to go. The only one the removal benefits is the manufacturer and content owners. If you prefer wireless...use it.

I've yet to see a compelling consumer argument on why the 3.5 jack needs to go. The only one the removal benefits is the manufacturer and content owners. If you prefer wireless...use it.

I HATE to say this kinda stuff, but the only people pushing for its removal are those who believe Apple can do no wrong and everything they do is the best possible course of action. This will backfire for Apple and will be their first major misstep in phone design.

Two Words

Some people are convinced that the 3.5 mm jack is responsible for the stagnation of improvement in battery tech and wireless signaling. Apparently, in their mind, engineers have had no need to really try because of the 3.5mm Jack. They believe this even though both technologies are incredibly essential in all other fields unrelated to music playback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom