• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Learning Japanese |OT| ..honor and shame are huge parts of it. Let's!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I have no idea and have no interest in knowing who he really is, but if there was any truth about what he was saying then it was certainly exaggerated. The rest was most certainly made up. I have no idea why he was so heavily interested in Japanese, but basically when you put all of the things he said across GAF, Discord and ResetERA he just came across as a weird Patrick Bateman-esque sociopath. A multi-millionaire lawyer/businessman living in Japan, posting daily (hourly) on GAF about Japan and Japanese, playing MOBA games the rest of the time. Nothing about his supposed life was realistic at all.

Here are the posts of his seriously pretending to be a black guy after his weak shit is called out. He got away with that one for some reason:

Look at the last posts he ever made on ResetERA. He was permabanned after being caught in an argument about sexual abuse. Again resorting to an aspect of his life to justify his lame defence of Tekashi69.

Basically, unless you have some actual evidence to the contrary, after all the shit he pulled are you really gonna believe he was a black European immigrant raised from poverty? Pretty much everything he ever wrote about his "life" was usually used to justify something antagonising he wrote to another member. Besides, he made numerous hints that what he was posting wasn't actually true, and just part of his troll persona, which he was weirdly invested in maintaining. The dude was entertaining and sometimes motivating but only for the purposes of maintaining his internet ruse.

Yeah, I always assumed he embellished about his wealth and background. He's not banned here anymore, so maybe one day he'll come back with more stories!

How are your studies going Porcile? Are you in Japan now?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mista

Banned
My Japanese is getting better because I started taking classes

Lots of words and stuff I’m familiar with thanks to video games and anime

Kazza

My Japanese is getting better because I started taking classes

Lots of words and stuff I’m familiar with thanks to video games and anime

I noticed that your a Yakuza fan. How long have you been studying Japanese for, and how much of the Yakuza games can you understand?

I've been studying Chinese for the past few years and at the point where I feel that I have pretty much "finished" (in the sense that I can do almost all the things I want to do with the language and feel that any gaps in my knowledge can be filled as I'm using the language, rather than having to actively "study" it). It's been a long, long journey and I have no appetite whatsoever to learn another Asian language to the same level. However, I do spend a lot of time playing games with Japanese dubs (Yakuka, Shenmue, Catherine, Valkyria Chronicles etc) and it seems a shame to let all that potential listening practice go to waste, so I've been thinking of studying a little Japanese (the the emphasis on "a little"), so that I can at least have a go at understanding what everyone is saying.

I've played Yakuza 1-5, and have picked up a bit, but Japanese isn't the kind of language that you can just passively pick up. Using the Pareto principle (20% of you efforts will get 80% of the results), I hope to get to maybe 20% results with just 1% of the effort. That will be enough for me! Having already studied Chinese, most of the Kanji seem to be pretty easy to understand, so I'll probably spend a single week studying like crazy (10 hours a day), and then just leave any improvement after that to what I can pick up from playing the games.

I'd be interested in hearing your experience with learning Japanese through games.

Mista

Banned
I noticed that your a Yakuza fan. How long have you been studying Japanese for, and how much of the Yakuza games can you understand?

I've been studying Chinese for the past few years and at the point where I feel that I have pretty much "finished" (in the sense that I can do almost all the things I want to do with the language and feel that any gaps in my knowledge can be filled as I'm using the language, rather than having to actively "study" it). It's been a long, long journey and I have no appetite whatsoever to learn another Asian language to the same level. However, I do spend a lot of time playing games with Japanese dubs (Yakuka, Shenmue, Catherine, Valkyria Chronicles etc) and it seems a shame to let all that potential listening practice go to waste, so I've been thinking of studying a little Japanese (the the emphasis on "a little"), so that I can at least have a go at understanding what everyone is saying.

I've played Yakuza 1-5, and have picked up a bit, but Japanese isn't the kind of language that you can just passively pick up. Using the Pareto principle (20% of you efforts will get 80% of the results), I hope to get to maybe 20% results with just 1% of the effort. That will be enough for me! Having already studied Chinese, most of the Kanji seem to be pretty easy to understand, so I'll probably spend a single week studying like crazy (10 hours a day), and then just leave any improvement after that to what I can pick up from playing the games.

I'd be interested in hearing your experience with learning Japanese through games.
I can understand conversations most of the time without looking at subtitles. Japanese is very hard, not harder than Arabic but it’s hard to learn fast. 5 months now taking classes and with every class I learn a new thing

Chinese is hard also so you learning the language is a great accomplishment! By the end of the year I might be able to speak three languages which is awesome!

K1Expwy

I hope to take the N2 in December, just for personal assessment and for an official "I know this much" document. I have no plans or great interest to return to Japan atm (not that I hated it or anything)

Komatsu

I studied Japanese for six years and worked for a big Japanese keiretsu when I was in my early 20s. I haven't really studied it with any discipline since but I was amazed at how much of it I still had when spending some time with a friend's family in Yamaguchi. Ironically I never get to speak that much Japanese when I'm there (besides "hitotsu!" or "otearai wa doko desu ka?" or "kono ressha wa kyoto de teisha shimasu ka"?) so that was a nice change of pace.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
I've been studying Chinese for the past few years and at the point where I feel that I have pretty much "finished" (in the sense that I can do almost all the things I want to do with the language and feel that any gaps in my knowledge can be filled as I'm using the language, rather than having to actively "study" it).

I feel exactly this way about the language in general.

Top Bottom