• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leave me alone -- Forced multiplayer elements in typical single player scenarios

I suppose I'm antisocial in this regard. Guy kept following me around in Destiny for 10 minutes and this was my first time playing. I usually don't accept friends requests either. My backlog doesn't really allow me much time to invest in multiplayer components. By the time I return to a game the online community is dead or they are so far above me in rank that it's pointless to try and play competively with them.

RPGam3r

Your completely missing the point. The entire purpose of the online system in Dark Souls is a risk/reward type deal. You can only get invaded while human. When your human, you can summon people to help you. That's the risk, that's the reward.

When in offline mode, you can't do neither. So yes, it is part of the core game design.

But continue cheating.

Just to be clear its been changed to all risk, as DS2 allowed invasions while hollowed.

Aesnath

I agree with OP.
I disliked to be force to do MP in a single game.
If I wanted that, I woud've gone by myself play an mmo.

Yeah...I kinda agree with this sentiment. I really wish there were more options on how to experience the DS games other than offline or PvP and co-op. I very much dislike being forced into MP when I'm not in the mood.

I just don't understand this notion that it is somehow not OK to want to play DS without PvP on all the time. It's like if I don't want you screwing over my game, I'm somehow screwing over your game? And I like PvP...when I feel like it.

I'm not sure how I feel about the cheating device (which is what it is), but there is a part of me that understands it. Unwanted PvP is sort of like phone soliciting--you get what you get. It is certainly unsportsmanlike, but then again formal competition should be agreed to by both parties.

Just to be clear its been changed to all risk, as DS2 allowed invasions while hollowed.

Dark Souls 2 also has some changes regarding who can invade, to prevent twinks/low level accounts alongside with burning human effigies that prevent invasions for an hour.

SirNinja

Invasion are fucking annoying in Dark Souls, I want to co-op, but I don't want to PvP.
.... That is a pretty shitty thing to do.... Are you that afraid of being invaded that you will resort to this horrible method?
Not afraid, it's annoying. It's hard to play with friends as it is with no invite system what so ever, so after finally summoning friend in my game I get invaded every single time
all I and my friends want to do, is jolly cooperation, no backstabs in the face.

Then play another series.

You want to be able to summon help in Souls? Then you have to open yourself up to the risk of invasions. Simple as that. That's how those games were designed.

Your "circumvention" of that system, as well as your repeated attempts to justify it, are abhorrent.

But keep those delicious salty tears flowing.

And keep those shitposts coming. The sooner you're banned, the better. And not just from here.

burning human effigies that prevent invasions for an hour.

Interesting, I take it the effigies are item drops in the overworld, and can easily be bought from merchants for reasonable prices in unlimited supplies to stave off PvPers if you don't want them in co-op or SP correct? If so, then THAT'S a smart design choice from From software concerning PvP for once!

Deadbeat

Banned
Invasion are fucking annoying in Dark Souls, I want to co-op, but I don't want to PvP. I had to resort to UTP/TCP lag switch to lag out the invaders and kill them quickly, since it's all P2P based. And if I would just D/C them, then in future it would be harder to find people to help or get help. So I let red/gray scumbags suffer.
STOP PLAYING THE GAME A WAY I DONT LIKE

am I dong it right? Seriously the dog piling on this poster is pathetic. Hes not using lag to win battles.

Isomac

Cheaters who try to rationale cheating are the worst. You are winning against others by cheating. There is no other information needed. I hope that kind of cheating could be banned.

KePoW

Banned
Your completely missing the point. The entire purpose of the online system in Dark Souls is a risk/reward type deal. You can only get invaded while human. When your human, you can summon people to help you. That's the risk, that's the reward.

When in offline mode, you can't do neither. So yes, it is part of the core game design.

But continue cheating.

I'm kinda with derp, I still don't see the point and it's bad game design.

Why not just allow coop anytime and no PVP ganking? What's so hard about thinking of that??? That would be so much more fun & relaxed game, I hate forced PVP games

Interesting, I take it the effigies are item drops in the overworld, and can easily be bought from merchants for reasonable prices in unlimited supplies to stave off PvPers if you don't want them in co-op or SP correct? If so, then THAT'S a smart design choice from From software concerning PvP for once!

I have no idea. I used the item accidentally once and that's about it.

Derpcrawler

But continue cheating.

When playing offline, you still get invaded by NPCs and still can summon white phantom NPCs. All I want is to play with friends without getting interrupted every 30 mins. If they can't be assed to implement proper matchmaking that takes gear into mind to eliminate PvP twinks and latency, to eliminate backstabs from front, then I can't be assed to respect such PvP mode.

I've been on both sides, where I would backstab someone from front or where we would both swing at air and both get hit. It's not fun, it's not challanging as an invader pr as the one who is getting invaded, t's just annoying. So tp save time, I just use lagswitch to make invasions go faster. To be honest, on my high soul level characters I don't get invaded at all. You know why? Because all PvP wanna be Pros can only gank low soul level players with their cookie cutter bullshit gear at incredibly low soul levels.

My 2c.

Why not just allow coop anytime and no PVP ganking? What's so hard about thinking of that??? That would be so much more fun & relaxed game, I hate forced PVP games

Because co-op in the game was designed to be a risk/reward scenario, it was never intended to allow you to have your merry band of musketeers tackle the world without fear of consequence.

You don't have to like it but it's not simply forced in for no reason. It's a fundamental design choice.

You think its bad design, I think its fantastic design. We'll have to agree to disagree because I find the tension that comes with the possibility of opening yourself up to invasions while you try to get help to be fantastic.

As for Derp, yea he really has a point. It's so horrible, that he has to resort to cheating. /s

DeaviL

Banned

am I dong it right? Seriously the dog piling on this poster is pathetic. Hes not using lag to win battles.

And yet he's still screwing up other peoples games.
And no, you're not doing it right. Try it again, with a hint of logic.

If the game is so badly designed, he is free to play another game.

MikeyB

The thread is about people disliking games with a single player scenario being designed with a multiplayer aspect.

I've been whining about something a little bit different (that I dislike certain aspects of the multiplayer design).

However, arguments like the following miss the point of the thread entirely.
That's how those games were designed.

A: what games would you like to be designed differently?
B I'd like game X to be designed like not-Y.
C: Well, you're wrong, they were designed like Y.

C is engaged in a different discussion.

SoulUnison

Banned
Invasion are fucking annoying in Dark Souls, I want to co-op, but I don't want to PvP. I had to resort to UTP/TCP lag switch to lag out the invaders and kill them quickly, since it's all P2P based. And if I would just D/C them, then in future it would be harder to find people to help or get help. So I let red/gray scumbags suffer.

"I didn't like the game for exactly what it's presents itself as so I cheated to ruin the experience for other player's, too. Everything needs to cater to my whims and wishes because I'm the only opinion and player experience that matters."

When playing offline, you still get invaded by NPCs and still can summon white phantom NPCs. All I want is to play with friends without getting interrupted every 30 mins. If they can't be assed to implement proper matchmaking that takes gear into mind to eliminate PvP twinks and latency, to eliminate backstabs from front, then I can't be assed to respect such PvP mode.

I've been on both sides, where I would backstab someone from front or where we would both swing at air and both get hit. It's not fun, it's not challanging as an invader pr as the one who is getting invaded, t's just annoying. So tp save time, I just use lagswitch to make invasions go faster. To be honest, on my high soul level characters I don't get invaded at all. You know why? Because all PvP wanna be Pros can only gank low soul level players with their cookie cutter bullshit gear at incredibly low soul levels.

My 2c.

Yea, sorry, your offline example doesn't mean much. The AI partners and AI invasions are essentially just game NPC's disguised. The online portion is different.

Getting online help for Orenstein & Smough is vastly different then having Solaire helping you.

Corpekata

Banned
Mass Effect 3 in the first few months required multiplayer play time in order to get the best ending in the single-player game. Was lame as hell.

I mean, not really. Presuming you did most side quests you did not need to play MP. Maybe only needed if you played like just the main story missions and nothing else.

kpaadet

And yet, I have 2 other dudes I play with all the time who use exact same method, since none of us want to bother with shitty PvP of souls games, where you get backstabbed in the face most of the time. The pther dude I play with wrote this lag switch, he already figuring out how to fend off annoying PvP heroes in bloodbrone with DD-WRT script.

But keep going how I am ruining my game experience.

If you want to PvP join blue phantoms and do arenas. But don't force this shit on sunbros, all I and my friends want to do, is jolly cooperation, no backstabs in the face.

I don't really think anyone cares if you "ruin" your own game experience, but don't ruin others. If you wanna play online accept you might be invaded and if you don't want to deal with them you should jump off a cliff (in game ofc ;P).

BiggNife

He's ruining the game for someone else. That's more than just playing the way in a way most people don't like, it's actively hurting someone else's enjoyment.

Derpcrawler

Avoid them, not win. As I said, if there was a covenant that would only allow PvE, I would join it. I already explained my reason, which are in fact with theme of the thread, but you numb heads keep trying to tell me that it was how game was designed. Well duh, this is a bad design, it needs to be changed.

Isn't that sort of what they are doing to him though?

Why the fuck are people trying to justify cheating?

Like seriously.

HE IS CHEATING.

The other people are playing the game as it was ADVERTISED.

No one is surprised with how Dark Souls works. It was and is well known how the game functions. He bought the game knowing how it is. Then he resorted to cheating because he can't handle it.

DorkyMohr

Banned
Avoid them, not win. As I said, if there was a covenant that would only allow PvE, I would join it. I already explained my reason, which are in fact with theme of the thread, but you numb heads keep trying to tell me that it was how game was designed. Well duh, this is a bad design, it needs to be changed.

This fuckin guy, lol

Aikidoka

Sure, Derpcrawler is cheating. But to say that is ruining someone else's game experience is a big exaggeration. And saying that it's abhorrent is ridiculous.

Sorry, but invasions are part of the game. It's not bad design, you're just a bad player. If you don't want invasions you should be playing offline, staying undead or playing a completely different game.

I generally don't like playing with others unless it's a good friend. In co-op, that is. And I hate invasions.

Rayman Legends' need for local 2P multiplayer, with regards to its soccer minigame, also pisses me off. I don't even have two controllers, let alone friends who come over to game. (I have friends, but they're not big gamers)

Sounds like you just suck at the game. You should try getting good instead of being buttmad. Or just quit if you can't handle it.

The Jutty

Isn't that sort of what they are doing to him though?

They are playing the game as it's supposed to be played. He is using a program outside of the game to restrict their connection and kill them it's cheating. It would be like host booting someone in a call of duty match because you don't want to lose your killstreak.

Cidd

How old are you?

seriously.

Derpcrawler

Sounds like you just suck at the game. You should try getting good instead of being buttmad. Or just quit if you can't handle that.

As I said, I have 100% both DS1 and DS2, on both PC and Xbox. After couple of weeks when player base nose dives all you get connected to, are people on dial up. Not fun, so I make that shit as painless as possible for both me and invader. I had max devotion to Dragon/Cat covenant on 360. It's just wasn't fun when both of you jump around and backstab face.

Deal with it.

joecanada

He's ruining the game for someone else. That's more than just playing the way in a way most people don't like, it's actively hurting someone else's enjoyment.

well, lag switching is pretty bad but in this case I would almost say it's warranted (almost) and there should be options... in fact games would be more fun if they could set a custom setting, like you want to invade me you get a 20 % penalty to health or something (home base advantage) .. something other than just the ability of people to just jump in and ruin shit for you. the game should have more options, if you jump in to a game unwanted then you should be trolled but the problem here is there is no way to show this or set up the options.
PVP should always be optional... even GTA has a safe mode even though it doesn't work lol.

Santar

Yeah this trend of every game having to be a "connected social experience" is just so unnecessary. I mostly play games solo, don't make my experience a lesser one just because of that.

well, lag switching is pretty bad but in this case I would almost say it's warranted (almost) and there should be options... in fact games would be more fun if they could set a custom setting, like you want to invade me you get a 20 % penalty to health or something (home base advantage) .. something other than just the ability of people to just jump in and ruin shit for you. the game should have more options, if you jump in to a game unwanted then you should be trolled but the problem here is there is no way to show this or set up the options.
PVP should always be optional... even GTA has a safe mode even though it doesn't work lol.

It's not anywhere close to being warranted. There is an option. It's called offline mode.

Crosseyes

Banned
Except that's PART OF THE GAME. He's breaking the game in a way that is not intended.
He's being a jerk and ruining the experience of the people who are being jerks trying to ruin his experience in the end though. I feel like the option to only allow co-op joining would be a welcome feature to try and avoid this problem.

People calling him bad and telling him to git gud he'd probably happily lag switch out of his game when they gleefully would kill him otherwise and laugh at how much fun they were having at his expense.

Warframe has a solo option but that game is much better with coop. The problem I have is it's hard to find other players for alot of low level missions.

There are options (offline mode, staying undead) and the invader does get a disadvantage (no healing via estus). Derpcrawler is just being a baby.

nded

Invasions in Souls games typically devolve into dumb twinkfests over time as players discover the best pvp gear, but I still occasionally get invasions where it's just me and the other guy in a knock-down, drag-out brawl and those are still fun. I just jump off the nearest cliff if I don't want to deal with it.

Top Bottom