• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leave me alone -- Forced multiplayer elements in typical single player scenarios

Derpcrawler

lol you literally lag invaders so you can have an easy time killing them and you think you still have the right to tell someone to get out?

you gave up your dignity b

I lag invaders because I don't want to deal with PvP heroes using cookie cutter dagger builds while lagging at 500ms+ resulting in backstabs from the front. Since there is no option to disable PvP, I just lag them until they D/C or die.

SmithnCo

It was kinda funny having players spawn as enemies in RE6, I turned it off though because they were becoming a pain compared to the AI.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I feed on your tears. I am against forced PvP, tools to disconnect or lag out are just a bandaid. I will use it as long as From Software ignores issue of shitty matchmaking and online infrustructure.

Deal with it.

The only tears in this thread are coming from the guy so afraid of pvp he's using a lag switch.

I feed on your tears. I am against forced PvP, tools to disconnect or lag out are just a bandaid. I will use it as long as From Software ignores issue of shitty matchmaking and online infrustructure.

Deal with it.

Stay hollow. No invasions while hollow. If you want to summon people you'll be 2v1 or 3v1. Invaders aren't a problem at that point.

I lag invaders because I don't want to deal with PvP heroes using cookie cutter dagger builds while lagging at 500ms+ resulting in backstabs from the front. Since there is no option to disable PvP, I just lag them until they D/C or die.

Cookie cutter builds are the best to face because you know what to expect.

Then play offline, oh wait, you don't get the benefits of online if you do that.

Like it should be.

Derpcrawler

The only tears in this thread are coming from the guy so afraid of pvp he's using a lag switch.

Mate, I don't need cookie cutter dagger build to wreck scrubz, but it's not fun to play counter build all the time just to prove that. I would rather just DC them or lag them out and continue my jolly co-op adventures. Rise in salt levels of those PvP tryhards is just icing on the cake.

Booshka

Derpcrawler hijacked this thread with his douchbaggery. I'll make sure to troll as hard as I can if I ever invade you.

Siegmeyer

Read the thread title and OP. Now get out...

lol, you're right. The thread so quickly veered into a Dark Souls debate that I lost track of the OPs point. See? I can respond like an adult and admit I made a mistake without resorting to telling people to "Get the fuck out" (nice ninja edit btw).

My point still stands though, you clearly enjoy the games but dislike the PvP (which is only forced in online mode). That's OK, but you're being extremely stubborn by saying 'I want to play by my rules, and fuck anybody that tries to spoil that for me' even though many are playing the game as it was designed.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
zLHYRfY.gif

Puruzi

Banned
Everyone in this thread:
YdTMWIm.gif

Derpcrawler:
1xC3AS8.jpg

Actually no, the salt is hilarious. You do you, lagswitch all you want.

Reallink

Invasion are fucking annoying in Dark Souls, I want to co-op, but I don't want to PvP. I had to resort to UTP/TCP lag switch to lag out the invaders and kill them quickly, since it's all P2P based. And if I would just D/C them, then in future it would be harder to find people to help or get help. So I let red/gray scumbags suffer.

I love this. As hacked to shit as online PS360 and PC games are, I bet most invaders are impossibly specced/equipped in the first place. Do you lose any progress (souls, location) when those jackasses come in one shotting folks? I don't agree with forcing PVP on players in general, so as far as I'm concerned, fuck From for being so stubborn about it and kudos to you for finding a way to stick it right back to them.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Mate, I don't need cookie cutter dagger build to wreck scrubz, but it's not fun to play counter build all the time just to prove that. I would rather just DC them or lag them out and continue my jolly co-op adventures. Rise in salt levels of those PvP tryhards is just icing on the cake.

Right, you playing co-op, 2v1 or 3v1 and you still cannot beat one guy?

No wonder you need a lag switch.

Derpcrawler

Derpcrawler hijacked this thread with his douchbaggery. I'll make sure to troll as hard as I can if I ever invade you.

Feed me your delicious souls. Point is, PvP is clearly forced onto players in Souls games. No proper matchmaking based on gear levels and latency is just topping on the shit cake. I rest my case. And yes, DS2 is prime example pf forced PvP, so it's only logical it would overtake this thread.

I love this. As hacked to shit as online PS360 and PC games are, I bet most invaders are impossibly specced/equipped in the first place. Do you lose any progress (souls, location) when those jackasses come in one shotting folks? I don't agree with forcing PVP on players in general, so as far as I'm concerned, fuck From for being so stubborn about it in the first place and kudos to you for finding a way to stick it right back to them.

"If you can't beat them, join them."

Booshka

Feed me your delicious souls. Point is, PvP is clearly forced onto players in Souls games. No proper matchmaking based on gear levels and latency is just topping on the shit cake. I rest my case. And yes, DS2 is prime example pf forced PvP, so it's only logical it would overtake this thread.

Oh you lagswitch in Dark Souls 2? Well I'm good then, I don't play it. I also don't agree with From allowing Hollow invasions in Dark Souls 2, it completely goes against the risk/reward of Hollow and Human. Co-op trivializes the game for the most part, so being Human and risking invasion is a balance to that.

Soul Memory is garbage too, in Demon's and Dark Souls 1, chances are your Invader is a much lower level than you.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm a primarily single player gamer. The Souls series (at least Demon's and Dark Souls 1), are, in my opinion, primarily single player games, with some multi-player components added to the mix. I want the option to opt out of the PVP and play with my friends.

I've dueled people in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, and I've won many of those duels, but I wasn't having fun, nor did I derive satisfaction from killing them. After a 12 hour day at work, I kind of just want to sit down on the couch in front of the big screen, and get lost in the world From Software has created. I don't want to fight with other players. And I hate that I have to disable all internet connectivity (I enjoy the bloodstains on the floor, and the hints for the online connectivity part).

Don't shit on other people because they want to play the game alone. Just like I won't shit on people for wanting to play with other people and invade their games. I've never been a fan of PVP. I love co-op, however. I'm not a competitive person truth told. I really enjoy playing with people. Resistance 2 co-op was some of the most fun I've had in gaming. With that said, I have enjoyed PVP in games like Halo and Warhawk, but I was actively choosing to participate in those PVP matches, not having it randomly thrust upon me when I wasn't expecting it. That's just not fun for me.

I think it's fair if someone wants to play alone. I think it's fair if someone wants to PVP. I just think From Software should allow more customizable options for players. It's not my fault if someone gets pleasure from invading a complete strangers game and killing them. There should be a way for them to play with like minded people. Ditto for the co-op/solo players.

I love the Demon's and Dark Souls, and my Bloodborne CE is already pre-ordered, but I'm not going to feel bad for not wanting to deal with players that are obsessed with "pwning noobs" online.

TheTurboFD

You don't need any build because you're obviously not good enough to even attempt to PVP. The fact that you even try to justify cheating just proves how idiotic you are.

Deitus

I love this. As hacked to shit as online PS360 and PC games are, I bet most invaders are impossibly specced/equipped in the first place. Do you lose any progress (souls, location) when those jackasses come in one shotting folks? I don't agree with forcing PVP on players in general, so as far as I'm concerned, fuck From for being so stubborn about it and kudos to you for finding a way to stick it right back to them.

Good on him for learning to cheat, to teach those no-good cheaters a lesson. Nevermind all of the non-cheaters who happen get in the way, they should just learn to cheat too.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I think some people are just not cut out for things to be that involved. You don't want to always meet the teen or young person whose going to make you his or her after school special rampage combo video game session.

When you get older you start to see more trends with it. I guess it's fine when you want it to happen. In OP's case I get it, got it, got over it, moved on, and now I'm looking to make things better for myself.

I think the metagame should be thought of before they just start adding in MP. You can play MP and be completely useless at it. There's no fun in it anymore. Do you think I care about MLG CoD or anything else? Nope. It just happens for some people and for others no one cares.

It's there for fun, just don't go over board with it, and think it defines gaming. It can be one of the best and one of the worst experiences with a controller anymore. I have no respect for MP, but I don't necessarily think it should go away either.

Who really wants to meet up anymore? People who have friends that play games. If you play enough of the SP, you probably don't care about MP. It goes either way.

When I saw this naked guy come into my game in Souls 2 I thought to myself, "young guy, probably plays A LOT".

OP, " screw the PVP players, seriously!"

Reallink

Good on him for learning to cheat, to teach those no-good cheaters a lesson. Nevermind all of the non-cheaters who happen get in the way, they should just learn to cheat too.

That's on From, not him. They should implement and regularly update measures to combat and ban people taking hacked characters online. I don't fault him at all for taking a scorched earth approach to combating them.

Booshka

That's on From, not him. They should implement and regularly update measures to combat and ban people taking hacked characters online. I don't fault him at all for taking a scorched earth approach to combating them.

Majority of Souls invaders aren't cheaters, I can't speak for Dark Souls 2, but usually, the Hosts that the Invader invades is far more likely to be the one cheating. And when there were easily available save edits that people could plop on to a USB, a ton of new players would literally start their first playthrough with a modded character.

Don't understand character leveling and min/max, defenses, game mechanics, the netcode, etc. Get killed, cry foul and cheat your character or engineer a way to lag invaders out the game. It's full on butthurt, to the highest degree.

This is bullshit, sorry.

There is a offline option and if that doesn't sound good then let me quote something. - edit - I agree that the choice of allowing hollows to be invaded is stupid, it doesn't excuse anything though.

As I said, I have 100% both DS1 and DS2, on both PC and Xbox. After couple of weeks when player base nose dives all you get connected to, are people on dial up. Not fun, so I make that shit as painless as possible for both me and invader. I had max devotion to Dragon/Cat covenant on 360. It's just wasn't fun when both of you jump around and backstab face.

Deal with it.

Focus on the bolded.

Deitus

I agree that From should be better about banning people who cheat. Though if they were better about it, Derpcrawler would be banned as well.

Eh, hacked characters suck but I've accepted them. They aren't very common for one and they usually aren't very good players besides their stats so they're fun to mess with and annoy. I often kill hackers by kicking them off ledges, especially in the forest.

This is similar to my experience with most hackers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNfpZ1yr94k

This video has a red invader facing a hacker, but the situation can easily have been switched.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Jesus fuck, GAF. So much unnecessary hate for lagswitchguy. Stop acting like he's single handedly ruined gaming. Part of the game or not, invasion of someone's game is dick mode. Some people just want to co-op in peace. Offline is not the same, and so it's not a completely valid alternative.

Are the mods that allow you to co-op with friends also ruining the spirit of the game as much as lag-switching dickwraiths?

Souls gaf hitting Nintendo gaf levels of salt when someone insults their game. 5 pages of bullshit over a dumb post ruining an interesting topic.

On topic: I really disliked the forced multiplayer aspects of watch dogs. You can go offline, but you're missing out on upgrades, and like a third of the game. But the actual invading is kinda terrible, tracking people down isn't fun, and it just felt like a drag on the game. Way too much work went into that rather than the rest of the game.

TheTurboFD

Jesus fuck, GAF. So much unnecessary hate for lagswitchguy. Stop acting like he's single handedly ruined gaming. Part of the game or not, invasion of someone's game is dick mode. Some people just want to co-op in peace. Offline is not the same, and so it's not a completely valid alternative.

Are the mods that allow you to co-op with friends also ruining the spirit of the game as much as lag-switching dickwraiths?

Then don't buy a game that centers around it.... simple as that.

MMaRsu

Banned
Invasion are fucking annoying in Dark Souls, I want to co-op, but I don't want to PvP. I had to resort to UTP/TCP lag switch to lag out the invaders and kill them quickly, since it's all P2P based. And if I would just D/C them, then in future it would be harder to find people to help or get help. So I let red/gray scumbags suffer.

Wow, what a scumbag you are.

Derpcrawler

Majority of Souls invaders aren't cheaters, I can't speak for Dark Souls 2, but usually, the Hosts that the Invader invades is far more likely to be the one cheating. And when there were easily available save edits that people could plop on to a USB, a ton of new players would literally start their first playthrough with a modded character.

Don't understand character leveling and min/max, defenses, game mechanics, the netcode, etc. Get killed, cry foul and cheat your character or engineer a way to lag invaders out the game. It's full on butthurt, to the highest degree.

As I said, I 100% both games on 360 and PC. I had to resort to offline play on 360, since my friends played on PS3, and I played with PvP on when there was VAC on Steam, after they disabled VAC, amount of cheaters went through the roof, on top of people who have bad connection and rubber band all over the screen, as well as people using end game gear on twinks. I am asking again, why am I not getting invaded on my Soul Level 501 character at all, while getting invaded all the time on my low level characters by people using same dagger builds? Why should I resort to playing boring counter build in order to not feel bad? And after you keep dying and loosing humanity to OP builds, you will feel bad. Especially as fresh character with low supply of HumEff.

-Ryn

Banned
I'm surprised people care this much about a dude cheating to avoid invasions. I love a challenge so getting invaded is fun for me. If somebody doesn't want to participate in that then I don't see how lag switching them is much different than bailing off a ledge. Not a big deal imo.

I don't understand the people that want co-op all the time in Souls games but zero PvP.

That's essentially like saying you want the game to be exponentially easier and have even less risk of dying.

At what point do you just admit the series isn't for you?
Some people just want to have a good time with their friends on a jolly adventure. Nothing wrong with that as there's more to Dark Souls than just its difficulty. There's its combat mechanics, enemy design, levels, aesthetic and a multitude of other things that make it what it is.

--

OT, I do think that it's cool when multiplayer is weaved into single player, but there should be some customization to it or at least some fore warning.

border

I don't know anything about Dark Souls, so I am curious:

How is lagging out PVP'ers any different than just committing suicide to end the encounter as fast as possible?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Watch Dogs. Fuck off with that, gods sake. I really hope Phantom's Pain feature doesn't end up like this.

I'd hate to have to connect to a server before starting a game. Kojima wouldn't do that if this is his last MGS. At least we hope he wouldn't. If anything it should be for the cloud or DLC. That's okay. I don't necessarily want to see anyone in Mother Base. That would be a nightmare

Derpcrawler

Then don't buy a game that centers around it.... simple as that.

Last I checked game centers around immersive role play world. Not fending off people named "Xxx420BlazeItXxx" playing same old spec with gear that wasn't designed being used at his/her zone and soul level.

Wulfram

Invasions in DS2 seemed OK - outside of the special zones they were rare enough not to be really frustrating. And had a decent chance of being at least sort of fair.

Invasions in DS1 are very annoying.

Siegmeyer

Souls gaf hitting Nintendo gaf levels of salt when someone insults their game. 5 pages of bullshit over a dumb post ruining an interesting topic.

It's not about being offended because someone offended 'their game'. He got called out for admitting to cheating, then defended his position to the hilt in a massively dickish manner.

TheTurboFD

Last I checked game centers around immersive role play world. Not fending off people named "Xxx420BlazeItXxx" playing same old spec with gear that wasn't designed being used at his/her zone and soul level.

Lol with all the emphasis on white stones, red stones, and covenants you don't think it was more CO-OP/PVP focus? Hell they even have invaders offline.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Back on topic:

Yeah, I didn't like the invading in Watch Dogs, or the forced MP to get the "good" ending in Mass Effect 3.

Those are the only two games I can think of where forced online annoyed me.

Top Bottom