• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ledger fans demand the Joker be retired from film

Status
Not open for further replies.

mollipen

DrForester said:
I think it's fair because some part of Romero's performance has gone into future film versions of the Joker, even ledger.

What I meant was, he Romero really isn't part of the conversation about "best movie Joker", because he technically wasn't a movie Joker.

wRATH2x

Banned
Look I like Heath Ledger,but The Joker will forever be bigger than Heath.

Are Keaton,Kilmer,Clooney,West and Bale as big as Batman?

No,not even combined.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
shidoshi said:
What I meant was, he Romero really isn't part of the conversation about "best movie Joker", because he technically wasn't a movie Joker.

Umm, he's just as much a movie Joker as anyone else. He was in a movie. He originated in a TV show, but so did Hamil's Joker.

JdFoX187

Banned
omg rite said:
No, they shouldn't have. There was nothing amazing or groundbreaking about it. It's silly to compare that to Leger's Joker.
It was an iconic performance. To a lot of people, Christopher Reeve and Superman are on in the same. It's sad, but that was about the only thing Reeve did in movies that really put him on the popular map. Heath Ledger did a fine Joker, but it's not like his performance will define the character or vice versa.

MisterHero said:
Michael Keaton

Beetlejuice.jpg

Holy shit, my mind almost imploded. Imagine Michael Keaton as the Joker... FULL FUCKING CIRCLE

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
These are the same people that would of went on riots if he was not nominated for anything.

Most of these people probably had no clue who the fuck he was before the Dark Knight and probably referred to him as being in that gay cowboy movie.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
DarkJediKnight said:
Joseph Gordon Levitt has already signed to take over from Ledger in the next batman flick. :D

They also signed Crispin Glover to also be a Joker and George McFly at the same time for the next Batman and Back to the Future film!! Cross-over sucess, yes!!

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
DarkJediKnight said:
Joseph Gordon Levitt has already signed to take over from Ledger in the next batman flick. :D
I do not understand this post

It'll probably happen anyway, just by virtue of the fact that an actor would have to be really desperate and/or insane to take on the role of the Joker in any future film, given the impossible expectations and potential career suicide that would result.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Sorry, but I agree with those supporters. There's other villains Warner Bros can "reinvent" with their new line of Batman movies. Heath Ledger was the best Joker, whether any of you like it or not, so it's good to leave the role at Heath and no one else afterwards.

Reinvent Mr. Freeze (time to kick some ICE), The Riddler (lol), Penguin (LOL), Catwoman (fhuta), Bane (haha), Poison Ivy (HAHA), but not Two Face (because the person who played him in TDK was the best for the role of Two Face).

Domino Theory said:
Sorry, but I agree with those supporters. There's other villains Warner Bros can "reinvent" with their new line of Batman movies. Heath Ledger was the best Joker, whether any of you like it or not, so it's good to leave the role at Heath and no one else afterwards.

Sorry, but the Joker is a bigger deal than Heath Ledger - and 'whether you like it or not', Heath Ledger was the best Joker only in yours, and probably quite a few other peoples opinion, but it's still just opinion and not some indisputable fact like you make it out to be. Personally my favourite on-screen Joker would be the guy from the Batman: Dead End short film, because his performance captured pretty much exactly how i'd always imagined Joker while reading the comics;

jokerdeadend.jpg

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Heck, maybe they should just let Mark Hamill do it in the next movie.

. . .

Yeah, I know, it would never work.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
demon said:
I do not understand this post

JGL is playing Cobra Commander in the GI Joe-flick. A decision noone can fully understand.

OT:
chances of Joker returning on-screen are close to 0 since Christopher Nolan only wanted to make 1 Batman-film: The Dark Knight. Batman Begins was a necessary prequel to really put down the story and the events leading to the creation of Batman and The Joker. He made his film and he's content. Nolan has no plans for a third Batman-movie, and although he said he would reconsider if someone delivered him a good script, I don't think a third one would work well.

Who would be the bad guy? Well, obviously,
Batman would be one of the badguys in the beginning of the film
, but other than that? Given the nature of the Nolan-Batman-films, it can only be the Riddler, the most retarded villain in Batman-history, leaving obvious clues to what he's up to next, Catwoman, which would be hot but is too shallow IMHO to be a good villain in the Nolan-films, Poison Ivy could POSSIBLY be transformed to more human form characterwise, like they did with Scarecrow, Penguin would also become an option if they grounded him more in reality.
But all thse villains are nothing compared to The Joker, these are villains with agendas, plots, schemes, and Joker is not a schemer, he just does things, he's a dog chasing cars (sorry for that movie-quotation), which makes him a force to be reckoned with, unpredictable and fun to watch on screen. The villains I mentioned above are too predictable (with Riddler taking the #1 spot obviously), and can become tedious and boring.

All the others are too supernatural to be a part of the down-to-earth-vested-in-reality-Batmanworld. Dr Freeze, Clay Face, Bane, Killer Croc, I mean, c'mon, you can't REALLY see those in a Batmanfilm made by Nolan, can you?

neorej said:
OT:
chances of Joker returning on-screen are close to 0 since Christopher Nolan only wanted to make 1 Batman-film: The Dark Knight. Batman Begins was a necessary prequel to really put down the story and the events leading to the creation of Batman and The Joker. He made his film and he's content. Nolan has no plans for a third Batman-movie, and although he said he would reconsider if someone delivered him a good script, I don't think a third one would work well.

It's going to happen. WB just agreed to finance his pricey pet project, Inception. A third Batman was almost certainly a part of that deal.

wRATH2x

Banned
neorej said:
OT:
Nolan said it or bullshit.

I have a feeling that if and when a third Nolan Batman movie comes out, he's going to make it come full circle and focus entirely on the character of Bruce/Batman. Let's face it, as much as the overall theme and ending was based on Bats, you might as well have called the movie "The Joker," because it was that fucking massive, important, and lasting.

No matter who the villain will be in the third one, it won't really matter. It's going to be about Bruce, and hopefully be the end of the series of movies from Nolan, so it should resolve Bruce's story. Whether it be death, retirement, age, whatever.

That said, I would have no problem with a recasting for the Joker if the character is that essential to the plot. As someone else said in this thread, Joesph Gordon Levitt could totally fucking pull it off.

Shame they had to kill off Two-Face. He would've been the natural villain for the third one, a perfect foil to Bruce. Eh.

BrandNew said:
Shame they had to kill off Two-Face. He would've been the natural villain for the third one, a perfect foil to Bruce. Eh.

I'm still not convinced he's dead. Nothing will convince me until I see a third movie devoid of Two-Face. ;p

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
BrandNew said:
I have a feeling that if and when a third Nolan Batman movie comes out, he's going to make it come full circle and focus entirely on the character of Bruce/Batman. Let's face it, as much as the overall theme and ending was based on Bats, you might as well have called the movie "The Joker," because it was that fucking massive, important, and lasting.

No matter who the villain will be in the third one, it won't really matter. It's going to be about Bruce, and hopefully be the end of the series of movies from Nolan, so it should resolve Bruce's story. Whether it be death, retirement, age, whatever.

That said, I would have no problem with a recasting for the Joker if the character is that essential to the plot. As someone else said in this thread, Joesph Gordon Levitt could totally fucking pull it off.

The biggest failing of the movie. That and the lame Scarecow throw away

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Bootaaay said:
Sorry, but the Joker is a bigger deal than Heath Ledger - and 'whether you like it or not', Heath Ledger was the best Joker only in yours, and probably quite a few other peoples opinion, but it's still just opinion and not some indisputable fact like you make it out to be. Personally my favourite on-screen Joker would be the guy from the Batman: Dead End short film, because his performance captured pretty much exactly how i'd always imagined Joker while reading the comics;

jokerdeadend.jpg

Fuck that Joker. Also, you can sign me on the Hamilton Joker board, but I thought Heath was great as well.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Wrath2X said:
Nolan said it or bullshit.

Nolan said it in an interview as part of his repsonse on where the third film would go.

Makes sense too, it's not like he's Paul Anderson or something, the man has made 1 sequel: The Dark Knight. He's not the sequel-kinda guy.

neorej said:
Nolan said it in an interview as part of his repsonse on where the third film would go.

Makes sense too, it's not like he's Paul Anderson or something, the man has made 1 sequel: The Dark Knight. He's not the sequel-kinda guy.

What he was trying to say was "please direct us to this quote."

neorej

ERMYGERD!
echoshifting said:
What he was trying to say was "please direct us to this quote."

I got it from an interview that aired on a Dutch TV-program, so I can't dig up the quote by request. You'll just have to, you know, take my word for it.

neorej said:
chances of Joker returning on-screen are close to 0 since Christopher Nolan only wanted to make 1 Batman-film: The Dark Knight. Batman Begins was a necessary prequel to really put down the story and the events leading to the creation of Batman and The Joker. He made his film and he's content.
Bull. Everything I've ever read from Nolan was that he put everything he wanted to see at the time into BB, and wasn't even thinking about a sequel because no one knew how BB would be received.

Here's a 2005 interview where he says exactly that.

neorej said:
I got it from an interview that aired on a Dutch TV-program, so I can't dig up the quote by request. You'll just have to, you know, take my word for it.
"dude, this guy said something on the internet. Just trust him"

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
DarkJediKnight said:

yeah, thanks a lot

now it burns when i pee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom