• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra Book 3: Change |OT| SCHEDULEBENDING

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. And here I am feeling like the fights this season are some of the best action set pieces we've seen from the avatarverse.
Eh? ATLA has better choreography overall and more interesting fights. There's nothing as interesting as Aang vs Jet in the tree tops, or Aang and the Blue Spirit against the Zhaos forces, or the gang storming the upper ring, or toph laying waste to the wrestlers or my personal favourite, the three way fight with Aang, Zuko and Azula in the ghost town.

This season has been pretty good though as far as fights are concerned.

I feel like while the fights are all really good, overall Korra isn't that interesting compared to ATLA. Like, nothing feels big or important. There's very little sense of urgency. It just seems like "The Everyday Adventures of The Avatar" as opposed to the big journey Aang went on.

Of course this isn't ripping on anyone who loves the show currently, but for me, I've been steadily losing interesting as Korra has been going on.

AoM

At this point, I'm just watching to see what happens. I have no investment in any of the characters or the story.

I think the main problem is that the seasons are self-contained.

A huge, HUGE mistake.

Amon and Zaheer being parrallels built up over the seasons would've been amazing.

Vahtu should've been the S4 villain.

How come earth benders don't ever use their power to fly around on a floating piece of rock? It really seems like they should be able to.

Jedi2016

I'm curious as to how Zaheer is able to keep up with Tenzin as an airbender?
He didn't... Tenzin was winning that fight, and pretty handily, too. It wasn't until the other benders got involved that Tenzin became outmatched.

#TeamAlive. I don't think they'd kill Tenzin, but I imagine he's badly hurt and won't be able to do much for the remainder of the season. If he dies, I kinda see Jinora going Dark Side and ripping Zaheer's soul right out of his body.

How come earth benders don't ever use their power to fly around on a floating piece of rock? It really seems like they should be able to.

I genuinely assume that it would get tiresome and that gravity/proximity to the land has something to do with it. Earthbending is about being grounded and strong movements towards rocks/soils.

Trey

#TeamAlive. I don't think they'd kill Tenzin, but I imagine he's badly hurt and won't be able to do much for the remainder of the season. If he dies, I kinda see Jinora going Dark Side and ripping Zaheer's soul right out of his body.

Also count me in for #teamalive because I don't think they would kill Tenzin without an audience.

Tenzin ain't bout to die

#teamalive.

#TeamAlive

Oh, and #TeamAlive

Stand and be counted! Did Tenzin live, or die?

#TeamAlive: Trey, Satch, Mariolee, Admiral Woofington, Hamlet, zulux21, anihawk, Phoenician_Viking, -Deimos, effingvic, icyflamez96, Lord_Byron28, zeemumu, Blades64, zdravkelja, Chariot, DreamDrop, Verelios, mjontrix, munchie64, Neoxon, Violet_0, Tuck, Zapages, LAUGHTREY, The Silver, m_shortpants, Omikaru, kyledk05, CreeperBlocks, naw, Unbounded, Shaanyboi, Kangi, MagnitudePopPop, Joeytj, unknownstranger, coolasj19, crisdecuba, Ryan_, darkazcura, Nitendoga, Zelias, Dispatch, Blasian Persuasion, Daria Morgendorffer, Jedi2016

#TeamDemise: Htown, Spring-Loaded, Order, LX_Theo, NR1, Dreadnought, Tomohawk

frostshade

Neo Member
#TeamAlive.

I want to see Tenzin reach Airbender enlightenment in the finale and go Air bending God mode. Mostly cause his character is misused and abused when it comes to the season finales. ;_;

If Tenzin does die, I can foresee Korra getting all the bad karma she deserves coming straight at her at full force. :O

Put me down for #teamalive but I wouldn't be surprised if it croaks by the end of the season leaving Korra alone for her final season like most of these shows like to do.

A huge, HUGE mistake.

Amon and Zaheer being parrallels built up over the seasons would've been amazing.

This. Nick fucked it up BIG time. I don't get why they had no hope for Korra to put amazing numbers to approve 4 seasons since the very beginning. I was the sequel to their second most successful show ever goddammit.

Okay, I'm in #TeamAlive (even though I hate using hastags). I don't think they would kill Tenzin offscreen just like that. However, I was worried during the fight, because I knew there could be a chance that he would die. Thanks to the Earth Queen's death, I've been as worried about the characters as during an episode of Game of Thrones.

The episode itself was very good, showing off a lot of great bending. I loved all the fights, including Bumi's *pauses* unique fighting style, and the fight between the waterbenders. What I like about the Tenzin/Zaheer fight was the fact that Tenzin's mastery of airbending really shown through. Tenzin was winning until the rest of the Red Lotus stepped in. You can only wonder what Zaheer was thinking at the time.

Zaheer: Man. Tenzin is way OP for 1v1-ing. Gotta start ganking him, guys.

This book is probably my favourite out of all the Korra books, and this episode, like "Long Live the Queen" really raises the stakes in a way that Book 2 didn't manage, even with living embodiment of Chaos. I'm glad to hear that the finale will be more personal, and I'm also hoping that we will see us some Varrick in the two-parter.

Trey

Team Alive is a bunch of kids trying to play it safe. Team Demise is living the high adrenaline, risky life. :p

Remember Team CG from the The Phantom Pain fiasco? They dared to dream, to take risks. And that didn't payoff.

I said it before but it's nice to have a season of Korra that most agree is at least decent. These kinds of positive discussions and community interactions can occur as a result. I would never think of doing something like this for Book Spirits because most would be #TeamWhoCares.

#TeamAlive

Okay, I'm in #TeamAlive (even though I hate using hastags).

I'm #TeamAlive as well.

Put me down for #teamalive but I wouldn't be surprised if it croaks by the end of the season leaving Korra alone for her final season like most of these shows like to do.

#TeamAlive

#TeamDemise

Stand and be counted! Did Tenzin live, or die?

#TeamAlive: Trey, Satch, Mariolee, Admiral Woofington, Hamlet, zulux21, anihawk, Phoenician_Viking, -Deimos, effingvic, icyflamez96, Lord_Byron28, zeemumu, Blades64, zdravkelja, Chariot, DreamDrop, Verelios, mjontrix, munchie64, Neoxon, Violet_0, Tuck, Zapages, LAUGHTREY, The Silver, m_shortpants, Omikaru, kyledk05, CreeperBlocks, naw, Unbounded, Shaanyboi, Kangi, MagnitudePopPop, Joeytj, unknownstranger, coolasj19, crisdecuba, Ryan_, darkazcura, Nitendoga, Zelias, Dispatch, Blasian Persuasion, Daria Morgendorffer, Jedi2016, GulAtiCa, Edag Plata, frostshade, The Scollard, lucebruce12

#TeamDemise: Htown, Spring-Loaded, Order, LX_Theo, NR1, Dreadnought, Tomohawk, coolfighter1993

#TeamDemise

It would be extremely brave of them to kill off a main character (or on of the good guys) instead of doing the corny method by giving them plot armour.

So I think that Tenzin is really dead.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Okay, I'm in #TeamAlive (even though I hate using hastags). I don't think they would kill Tenzin offscreen just like that.

There is literally no other way to kill someone in a Y7 cartoon. It's why they cut away from the Earth Queen when she died. It's why the camera hid behind the wall at the end of this episode.

There is literally no other way to kill someone in a Y7 cartoon. It's why they cut away from the Earth Queen when she died. It's why the camera hid behind the wall at the end of this episode.

If you're so sure about it, how about putting your money where your mouth is and doing an avatar challenge? Some of us in team alive are doing that since we're so sure, let's make it interesting.

x1QIRDO.jpg

Am I the only one who prefers LOK over ATLA? I'm at season 2 of ATLA (it's excellent) and I still prefer LOK.

The first half of season 1 of ATLA was kinda disappointing then it became gradually became better over time.

Meanwhile Season 1 of LOK was the same from the beginning to the end: awesome. However, Season 2 was underwhelming especially compared to Season 2 of ATLA.
Season 2 (Avatar) is rivalling Season 3 of LOK.

In summary:

LOK Season 1 > Season 2 (Avatar) = Season 3 (LOK) > Season 2 (LOK) > Season 1 (Avatar)

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

An Avatar bet over Avatar and he's not so sure that he'd bet on it.

The walls of #teamdead come crumbling down around you.

I'd be willing to avatar bet that he's alive.

I'll go one further and say Tenzin is a lynch-pin on saving Korra and/or the Air Benders.

I never asked to be a part of some lame #TeamDurr mess, but even from the perspective that hashtag teams aren't dumb, placing your chips on Tenzin being alive is the weak, safe choice. Banking on the status quo being upheld in a tv show is inherently less daring than the opposite.

There's still plenty of evidence Tenzin's on his way out too.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I never asked to be a part of some lame #TeamDurr mess, but even from the perspective that hashtag teams aren't dumb, placing your chips on Tenzin being alive is the weak, safe choice.

I have no doubt after the foreshadowing when talking to Zuko that Aang would give everything to see the Air Nation rebuild, and in episode 1 or 2 where Tenzin was talking to his Dad about how happy it would make him that Tenzin could possibly bite it this season.

But that isn't how it's gonna go down, he won't die while the air benders are still being held hostage by the Red Lotus.

Mariolee

A huge, HUGE mistake.

I would love for the Book 4 to somehow bring back the equalists, Red Lotus, and Vaatu to feign some sort of momentum over this whole series and bring it to a satisfying conclusion.

Trey

I never asked to be a part of some lame #TeamDurr mess, but even from the perspective that hashtag teams aren't dumb, placing your chips on Tenzin being alive is the weak, safe choice. Banking on the status quo being upheld in a tv show is inherently less daring than the opposite.

There's still plenty of evidence Tenzin's on his way out too.

The only reason I even did this was because there's evidence of it going either way, which is why debate has sprung up. The hashtag teams are just a representation of how the community in general read the situation. It's simply a bit of fun, and brings some extra competitive "flavor" to the discussion.

Everyone arguing that offscreen deaths are the only deaths in Y7 shows aren't wrong. But I and others have countered with the differences between the EQ's death and the situation surrounding Tenzin's possible demise, and why the two aren't equivalent.

AoM

Am I the only one who prefers LOK over ATLA? I'm at season 2 of ATLA (it's excellent) and I still prefer LOK.

The first half of season 1 of ATLA was kinda disappointing then it became gradually became better over time.

Meanwhile Season 1 of LOK was the same from the beginning to the end: awesome. However, Season 2 was underwhelming especially compared to Season 2 of ATLA.

In summary:

LOK Season 1 > Season 2 (Avatar) = Season 3 (LOK) > Season 2 (LOK) > Season 1 (Avatar)

Yes, you are in a very small minority.

DominoKid

In summary:

on the whole i prefer LOK. Book 2 of TLA is the best of the franchise though.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So...will ATLA forever remain the standard for great Western Cartoons with a continuous storyline?

I think it has fairly strong competition from Gargoyles, Batman: TAS and Batman Begins. I suppose it's dubious the extent to which you consider the last two continuous, though.

Trey

Book Earth > Book Change (pending the finale) > Book Fire > Book Water > Book Air (Endgame drags it down) > Book Spirits

I prefer LoK's animation and character design. AtLA is a better told story, with better realized characters. At this point, Legend of Korra is what it is - I can't keep hoping it fulfills its potential. Change has been really good, and if the finale season maintains this course then I can be happy with the finale product. But the end of the first season all the way through the second season has been suspect at best.

Chariot

So...will ATLA forever remain the standard for great Western Cartoons with a continuous storyline?
I suppose. Although - as Crab said - Gargoyles is at least a contester and I have an eye on Gravity Falls season 2.
Also Young Justice as honorable mention, even if it lost at the moment the third season was killed and the story stayed incomplete.

I think it has fairly strong competition from Gargoyles, Batman: TAS and Batman Begins. I suppose it's dubious the extent to which you consider the last two continuous, though.
Yeah, the Batmans don't count. Don't know about begins, but TAS and Batman in general is certainly not in the league of good continuous storylines.

NR1

Futurama had a good continuous storyline. Nibbler, Fry and the Brains. They carried it over into the movies and the renewed series too, but it wasn't as good as the first 4 seasons.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Yeah, the Batmans don't count. Don't know about begins, but TAS and Batman in general is certainly not in the league of good continuous storylines.

I would disagree. Granted, I wouldn't have said just Batman and Batman Beyond -- I think the DCAU in general is a great example of a good continuous storyline. The Batman from the beginning to BTAS and the Batman at the very end of the storyline "Epilogue" are very different characters, but you can clearly watch the transformation of Bruce in how he pushed everyone away (for an example, how Dick Grayson became Nightwing).

Chariot

I would disagree. Granted, I wouldn't have said just Batman and Batman Beyond -- I think the DCAU in general is a great example of a good continuous storyline.
Yes, but there are no bigger stories in Batman TAS at least. I have a spotty memory of Beyond, but I think there wasn't a storyline either. Continuity isn't the same as an overarching plot, the single episode stories are self contained and don't add up to anything, in contrast to ATLA where everything, even "filler" episodes worked in context of the bigger story that went from the first episode to the last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom