• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra |OT| - Saturday Mornings Just Got Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emitan

MLPi6.gif

Arment

The explanation for her getting that old would be that Avatars that die of natural causes have a much, much longer life span than normal people. So it's not surprising that one of them got 230 years old.

I am sure Aang would have lived 160+ years as well if he didn't use up a big chunk of his years trapped in the ice. (well technically he did live that long)

I didn't realize Avatars could live that long. With that said I had to look up how Roku died, since I forgot, and DAMN that's cold.

If I had to choose an Avatar that was the "worst" it would be Kuruk. He didn't even take it seriously.

Wiseblade

How does this opinion even develop and come into existence?

1) She let Chin the conqueror (A Tyrant in her own words) take over all of the Earth Kingdom minus Ba Sing Se and her hometown. She only intervened when he invaded her neck of the woods and it was only to seperate it from the mainland. Chin falling to his death was his own fault. At least Kuruk was lazy in peacetime.

2) She created the Dai Li.

CrazyDude

I didn't realize Avatars could live that long. With that said I had to look up how Roku died, since I forgot, and DAMN that's cold.

If I had to choose an Avatar that was the "worst" it would be Kuruk. He didn't even take it seriously.

Well when the last avatar creates long lasting piece, what do you expect?

Arment

The Dai Li changed over the course of history though. She didn't found them with the intent they would become what they did.

And your interpretation of the events leading up the Chin's death are different from what I'd interpret. She didn't just "let it happen." Him falling to his death wasn't his fault, he didn't move the land to do so. :p

Well when the last avatar creates long lasting piece, what do you expect?

To help continue the peace.

To be fair Yangchen's effort was so great he didn't have to do shit.

Still his mistake was not checking up on them just in case and it cost him a wife anyway, so he paid for it dearly.

CoolS

The Dai Li changed over the course of history though. She didn't found them with the intent they would become what they did.

And your interpretation of the events leading up the Chin's death are different from what I'd interpret. She didn't just "let it happen."

Yep, she even said so. Chin might have happened by accident but she was prepared to kill him to stop the war.

KingK

I think the order of the Avatars we know would be

1. Aang
2. Yangchen (might be better than Aang, but we don't really know much about her other than the fact that she was fantastic)
3. Kuruk (distant 3rd. Not good, but didn't really do any damage either, iirc)
4. Kyoshi (for the reasons Wiseblade outlined)
5. Roku (him forgiving Sozin because of his own personal feelings lead to 100 years of war)

Who knows where Korra will rank, but it seems like Air nomad avatars are the best Avatars (just like Air is the superior element).

Make TLA rewatch thread

"No thanks."

Make Korra thread

"So I'm rewatching TLA..."

Hey, I at least rewatched the series for the rewatch thread.

Wiseblade

And your interpretation of the events leading up the Chin's death are different from what I'd interpret. She didn't just "let it happen."

Kyoshi was the one who decided to create an elite Earthbending force, independent of the king to run the city and protect its cultural heritage. Any normal person would see the obvious Coup d'état potential, but she didn't. Yangchen would never have made that mistake.

Hey, I at least rewatched the series for the rewatch thread.

And I'm grateful to you and Satch for putting up with my ramblings for two months.

Arment

My list would be...

1. Yangchen
2. Aang
3. Kyoshi
4. Kuruk
5. Roku

Yangchen wins because of her long standing peace and her reputation as an Avatar. Aang might have reached such a goal if he had not died so young. Roku too.

And I feel like Roku was a good intentioned Avatar but his relationships and indecision really marred his reputation.

His guiding of Aang, though, does earn him some kudos. But the others helped, even Kuruk. So he still deserves last because of the war he failed to stop.

Kyoshi > Kuruk because even if her actions had some consequences, she still did more then he ever did. Saving people > Dueling all day

Qwomo

I went to read up on Kuruk and huh, apparently I missed a few episodes of the TLA without even realizing. Don't remember that Kuruk stuff at all.

At least he looks the most badass.

LuffyZoro

My list would be...

1. Yangchen
2. Aang
3. Kyoshi
4. Kuruk
5. Roku

Yangchen wins because of her long standing peace and her reputation as an Avatar. Aang might have reached such a goal if he had not died so young. Roku too.

And I feel like Roku was a good intentioned Avatar but his relationships and indecision really marred his reputation.

His guiding of Aang, though, does give him some credit. But the others helped, even Kuruk. So he still deserves last because of the war he failed to stop.

Kyoshi > Kuruk because even if her actions had some consequences, she still did more then he ever did. Saving people > Dueling all day

I'd put Roku above Kuruk because of his helping of Aang.

Arment

I went to read up on Kuruk and huh, apparently I missed a few episodes of the TLA without even realizing. Don't remember that Kuruk stuff at all.

At least he looks the most badass.

I doubt you missed the last four episodes.

I'd put Roku above Kuruk because of his helping of Aang.

But Kuruk also helped Aang (some).

I'm conflicted about this because we don't know much about Roku and the good he may have done. Is it fair that he's 5th because his death led to war, especially since he died because of betrayal? I'm not really sure. If I disregarded that then I'd put him 4th for sure.

Arment

The best Avatar. But really, nothing is known about her other than:

1) She was a woman.
2) She was and Airbender.
3) She was so good, there were 200 years of peace after she died.

She was highly feared as well, since she was so dedicated to doing whatever it takes to keep the world in balance. I'm guessing that means she would kill your ass quicker than you could say Ba Sing Se if you crossed her.

Somehow I'm guessing Korra's ultimate mission will be stopping the growing anti-bender tensions that are counteracting the intended goal of Republic City (unity). I don't think her responsibilities will be as grand as Aangs (stopping a 100 year war) but I think she'll do what Roku couldn't and that's stop a war. She'll probably be third ultimately, as we have huge Aang nostalgia and it's looking tough to top Yangchen.

Blackhead

Redarse
Kyoshi was the one who decided to create an elite Earthbending force, independent of the king to run the city and protect its cultural heritage. Any normal person would see the obvious Coup d'état potential, but she didn't. Yangchen would never have made that mistake.
? The Dai Li wasn't independent of the king... well it wasn't independent of any lazy decadent king that is.

Chin the conqueror was a tyrant facing other similar earth tribes in wars. If Kyoshi had intervened earlier, she would have effectively been choosing sides in tribe wars.

*insert Kyoshi defense lawyer gif*

Arment

I don't think humans are capable of peace.
Probably less fighting, but people always have something to kill each other about.

I take it as there were no wars. I'm sure there were squabbles and death, but not on the scale we saw in TLA.

Wiseblade

? The Dai Li wasn't independent of the king... well it wasn't independent of any lazy decadent king that is.

Chin the conqueror was a tyrant facing other similar earth tribes in wars. If Kyoshi had intervened earlier, she would have effectively been choosing sides in tribe wars.

*insert Kyoshi defense lawyer gif*

Independent as in separate from the military, selected by and answering to the Grand Secretariat.

Blackhead

Redarse
Independent as in separate from the military, selected by and answering to the Grand Secretariat.

And the Grand Secretariat is still under who again?

If you consider the Dai Li to be a lapse of judgement then surely you must consider Aang's endoresement of the White Lotus to be even more problematic. They answer to no one. Usually the avatar is raised by their own community to as it cycles through thr nations but Aang has subverted that.

Wiseblade

And the Grand Secretariat is still under who again?

If you consider the Dai Li to be a lapse of judgement then surely you must consider Aang's endoresement of the White Lotus to be even more problematic. They answer to no one. Usually the avatar is raised by their own community to as it cycles through thr nations but Aang has subverted that.

The Grand Secretariat is under no one, because he runs the city!

The White Lotus as they were in TLA didn't seem that bad to me, but Aang letting them have a private militia and train his successor in secret is a bad call.

Satch

Banned
The Grand Secretariat is under no one, because he runs the city!

The White Lotus as they were in TLA didn't seem that bad to me, but Aang letting them have a private militia and train his successor in secret is a bad call.

it's a terrible call

it's no wonder she's such a spoiled brat

apana

I'm not going to rank Avatars who are main characters of shows because we see it from their perspective and too much bias involved but I think Aang would be at the top generally speaking.

1. Yangchen- Wise, powerful, and very succesful so obviously gets the number one slot.

2. Kyoshi- Yeah you could make the case she wasn't so good but we don't have enough details about it so I'm gonna give her the second spot for being cool.

3. Roku- He was an all around great guy and I don't fault him for sparing Sozin. He didn't know that Sozin would do a genocide on the airbenders and killing Sozin would have started a war as well. You can't blame him for a volcano exploding, give the guy a break. You guys are way too hard on him.

4. Kuruk- He kind of sucked but whatever, not every Avatar has to be great.

Wiseblade

3. Roku- He was an all around great guy and I don't fault him for sparing Sozin. He didn't know that Sozin would do a genocide on the airbenders and killing Sozin would have started a war as well. You can't blame him for a volcano exploding, give the guy a break. You guys are way too hard on him.
Yeah. Roku kept Sozin in check and would almost certainly have outlived him if it wasn't for the volcano. Can't really blame the guy for not wanting to kill his best friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom