• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra |OT| - Saturday Mornings Just Got Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arment

I wonder if you're allowed to air bend in pro bending?

They never mentioned if you could or not. Sounds like it'd be op considering air is...everywhere. But it's not exactly fair to outlaw one entire sect of bending, almost extinct or not.

I wonder if you're allowed to air bend in pro bending?

They never mentioned if you could or not. Sounds like it'd be op considering air is...everywhere. But it's not exactly fair to outlaw one entire sect of bending, almost extinct or not.

Sometimes it feels like this thread is on repeat.

Wiseblade

Is it just me, or does the show seem like it would be really intimidating to someone jumping in fresh? There are so many references to TLA in the first episode, and generally it seems to assume a lot. Like there's no attempt to explain who the White Lotus are and why there's only one Airbending master in the world...

Arment

Probably. But it's better that way. I hate it when they act like the viewer is a complete newb in the beginning. It wastes so much time. I like how they went about it. Right into the story.

They definitely made it for fans.

Ferrio

Banned
Is it just me, or does the show seem like it would be really intimidating to someone jumping in fresh? There are so many references to TLA in the first episode, and generally it seems to assume a lot. Like there's no attempt to explain who the White Lotus are and why there's only one Airbending master in the world...

Why should they ruin the series for the fans by retelling stuff we already know?

Arment

The Last Airbender was TLA and so The Legend of Korra should be TLoK or TLK. Imo.

I just noticed the thread title omitted the 'The' part.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx

It kind of is, but that's why I'm watching all of TLA on Netflix now. I saw many episodes during its original airing, but I caught them out of order. And I practically missed the entire 3rd season except for a bit of the finale. I knew enough to make some sense of the first 2 episodes of The Legend of Korra, but I had to get on the ball if I didn't want to get confused.

I'd imagine someone jumping in completely fresh would be lost as hell.

Blackhead

Redarse
hey in the drill episode Aang said he wished he could metalbend. I didn't catch that foreshadowing the first time (and Toph didn't want to go in that "metal monster" because she couldn't bend there etc). Do you think Aang kept on training with Zuko and Toph after defeating the Fire Lord? And perhaps they thought him fire bending and lightning etc? His training wasn't complete before the battle but from the comic sequel it doesn't appear he was taking more lessons...

And are Korra's lessons in Earth, Water and Fire are done? Surely she must have already realised how useful being a metalbender would be if she ever has to take on Lin again. I guess this probending is still learning but it doesn't seem quite practical.

Ferrio

Banned
hey in the drill episode Aang said he wished he could metalbend. I didn't catch that foreshadowing the first time (and Toph didn't want to go in that "metal monster" because she couldn't bend there etc). Do you think Aang kept on training with Zuko and Toph after defeating the Fire Lord? And perhaps they thought him fire bending and lightning etc? His training wasn't complete before the battle but from the comic sequel it doesn't appear he was taking more lessons...

And are Korra's lessons in Earth, Water and Fire are done? Surely she must have already realised how useful being a metalbender would be if she ever has to take on Lin again. I guess this probending is still learning but it doesn't seem quite practical.

I don't think they've discussed how the specialized bendings work. I assumed metal bending was something only a select few earthbender born people could do. Like only a water bender could bloodbend.

Arment

She probably doesn't know anything about how metal bending works, only it exists. I imagine it's hard to learn and you would need a master in the subject to teach you. But since she seems to be a natural at bending, I wouldn't discount a lesson in the future. The weakness in being the Avatar is you have 4 elements to master instead of one. I'd be surprised if she ever really learns any of the sub-sets, at least not until she's older.

For the story, though, it's probably unnecessary. She's OP as it is.

No one answered me earlier...is there a consensus on airbending in pro bending?

Wiseblade

She probably doesn't know anything about how metal bending works, only it exists. I imagine it's hard to learn and you would need a master in the subject to teach you. But since she seems to be a natural at bending, I wouldn't discount a lesson in the future.

No one answered me earlier...is there a consensus on airbending in pro bending?

It's not explicitly banned, but the rules clearly state that teams are made up of a Waterbender, a Firebender and an Earthbender.

PK Gaming

As an Air Bender, I'm miffed that we don't get any specific derivatives.

Fire benders can Lightning bend, Earth benders can metal bend, and water benders can blood bend.

:(

Fire benders can Lightning bend, Earth benders can metal bend, and water benders can blood bend.

Yeah, you guys just have to settle with the fact that airbending is ridiculously overpowered compared to the rest.

Poor you.

Amon's side is looking sweeter by the day.

Blackhead

Redarse
She probably doesn't know anything about how metal bending works, only it exists. I imagine it's hard to learn and you would need a master in the subject to teach you. But since she seems to be a natural at bending, I wouldn't discount a lesson in the future. The weakness in being the Avatar is you have 4 elements to master instead of one. I'd be surprised if she ever really learns any of the sub-sets, at least not until she's older.

She's only overpowered if you include the Avatar state (which I'm not even sure she can enter and control at will given her problems with the spiritual side of bending). She was captured by what 4 Earthbenders police? Aang usually took care of or escaped from that number of police easily.

Emitan

She's only overpowered if you include the Avatar state (which I'm not even sure she can enter and control at will given her problems with the spiritual side of bending). She was captured by what 4 Earthbenders police? Aang usually took care of or escaped from that number of police easily.

How many police did Aang fight that were a trained force created by Toph?

Trey

It's not explicitly banned, but the rules clearly state that teams are made up of a Waterbender, a Firebender and an Earthbender.

Airbending is OP.
Or there aren't any airbenders to have them.

They'll think of something.

PK Gaming

Yeah, you guys just have to settle with the fact that airbending is ridiculously overpowered compared to the rest.

Poor you.

Amon's side is looking sweeter by the day.

While i'll admit that air bending is ridiculously versatile and awesome, it is NOT ridiculously overpowered. Combat wise, its clearly the worst out of the 3. Aang didn't even bother using Air Bending offensively against some of strongest opponents (Azula) since wouldn't have done any damage, instead it was used as a diversion / defensive type bending while he prioritized water /earth for offense.

The fact thats its primarily defensive hurts really its offensive viability. Though I guess masters can just blow you out of the arena which is cool.

EDIT: But master water benders can draw water from the air, and create huge whirlpools, earthbenders will wreck you in CQC, and if they have metal bending forget about it. And don't even get me started on fire benders or Lightning bendings ability to OHKO people who can't redirect Lightning.

:( :(

While i'll admit that air bending is ridiculously versatile and awesome, it is NOT ridiculously overpowered. Combat wise, its clearly the worst out of the 3. Aang didn't even bother using Air Bending offensively against some of strongest opponents (Azula) since wouldn't have done any damage, instead it was used as a diversion / defensive type bending while he prioritized water /earth for offense.

He was never taught offensive air techniques because he was raised as a pacifist.

what happens when you bend the air out of someone's lungs?

airbending is OP as fuck
Technically, you would have to create a wind vortex to suck the air out of someone instead of just straight bending the air out of them.

Semantics, I guess.

Arment

He was never taught offensive air techniques because he was raised as a pacifist.

Also, using an air technique against fire would be bad. Feeding the flame much?

Airbenders basically get to fly so I think that makes up for their lack of secondary bending.

If I really had to choose I would ultimately choose airbending. All the possibilities are too cool to pass up.

Jintor

I think about metalbending and lightning bending in the same way I think about quantum mechanics or theoretical physics allied with kung-fu mastery. Anybody can do it (assuming they meet the bending criteria) with enough application but that in itself is a pretty high barrier.

PK Gaming

what happens when you bend the air out of someone's lungs?

airbending is OP as fuck

Can you even do that? Bending something thats inside someone's body obviously requires effort. Blood benders need the full moon to pull that off.

Technically, you would have to create a wind vortex to suck the air out of someone instead of just straight bending the air out of them.

Semantics, I guess.

(Assuming you could)
"Alright, you're all dead unless you do what I say."

Also, using an air technique against fire would be bad. Feeding the flame much?

A vortex would suck all the oxygen out of the area, which would make it hard, if not impossible, for fire to generate.

This is all fictional science though, so who really knows.

(Assuming you could)
"Alright, you're all dead unless you do what I say."
It was offscreen, but that's how some of the airbending masters in Aang's temple defended themselves.

Arment

The wiki mentions sound bending as a possible sub set for air bending.

Blow someones ear drums out. Whisper a message to someone far away from you. Using sound as misdirection. Use sound waves to throw someones balance off. All pretty useful. We can agree that airbending/soundbending would be the spies choice.

Amplification: A specialized form of airbending in which the bender is able to generate massive amplified sound waves with the help of airbending. One possible canon example of this is shown when Aang, while trying to lead animals out of the city to outside the inner wall, used airbending to blow his bison whistle, sending massive sound waves throughout the city to call all the animals.[29] He also used it to comically amplify his cry for help when trapped at the Sun Warrior ruins.[2]

Airbending is the only art that apparently has no specific sub-skill or specialized form that has as of yet been revealed, although it has been speculated soundbending (see above) could fit into this category.

So are the metal benders actual metal benders or do they just shoot hooks?

Yeah they're benders. Korra says so anyways. They shoot the hooks with their bending, iirc.

Trey

Airbend all the air away from your opponent, creating a vacuum.

Laugh as they topple over, or explode.

Win.

Conversely, crush your opponent with extreme air pressure.

Uchip

Banned
Airbend all the air away from your opponent, creating a vacuum.

Laugh as they topple over, or explode.

Win.

Conversely, crush your opponent with extreme air pressure.

that doesn't sound like Avatar at all
hell flame bending fights don't seem to do much apart from make them slightly singed
(or in zukos case a burnt face)
and every time someone is encased in ice, it will break just so you know they didn't suffocate :p

Trey

hell flame bending fights don't seem to do much apart from make them slightly singed
and every time someone is encased in ice, it will break just so you know they didn't suffocate :p

These are hypothetical scenarios to theorize what would be possible offensively with bending types. The show will do what the show does.

Emitan

It's the curse of kid's shows. Firebending is worthless because it always just misses. Swords only cut cloth.

Arment

This series would reach the levels of epic proportions if it were allowed to be just a bit more violent. Not anime violent, but somewhere in between.

But it speaks to just how great the writing is that it can't be that violent and still manages to be so good.

LuCkymoON

Banned
The explanation for her getting that old would be that Avatars that die of natural causes have a much, much longer life span than normal people. So it's not surprising that one of them got 230 years old.

I am sure Aang would have lived 160+ years as well if he didn't use up a big chunk of his years trapped in the ice. (well technically he did live that long)

Avatar Kyoshi most likely sought enlightenment; unlike Avatar Aang who was bound to earth's fleshy delights. So that could be another explanation for her long life span.

Semantics, I guess.
an airbender could force air into a persons lungs until they burst.

Jintor

Actually the main thing about kid's TV is that fire is concussive in Avatar, and only rarely actually sets things on fire, at least in combat.

iirate

Just stopping in to vent a little. I had no idea that TLK was a two-day affair only (I was worried that it might be limited, but I figured they would warn people before pulling it) - I wanted to finish my re-watch of TLA first, and just did so earlier tonight...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom