• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra |OT| - Saturday Mornings Just Got Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumei

Nah, Aang was annoying with his whining.

ibhVQqP1bCSL3.gif

Hell no. I don't believe that for a second. Ozai was already ridiculously powerful, without the comet, and with it, he became an absolute juggernaut. He was pretty much curb-stomping Aang.

We know Aang could have won simply due to lightning redirection. Putting that to the side for the moment, though, I think that it has to be remembered that he wasn't actively trying to win and wasn't even really making semi-full use of his abilities. He was chucking medium-sized rocks in Ozai's general direction (and never directly at him) and occasionally bending a stream of water towards him. You're probably right that he couldn't have won short of lightning redirection, but I think a good deal of the curb-stomping appearance of the fight stems from Aang's approach to it (and I think the DVD commentary bears that point of view out).

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Hell no. I don't believe that for a second. Ozai was already ridiculously powerful, without the comet, and with it, he became an absolute juggernaut. He was pretty much curb-stomping Aang.

I kinda wonder about that. Ozai felt like he was powerful in the zhao sense, but not as focused in the iroh sense. Fighting him during the comet is one thing, but I wonder what his chances would have been without it.

apana

Nah, Aang was annoying with his whining.

Aang is better than Korra and old gang is better than the new one with the exception of the air benders. I don't like the bland teenage phase that Korra and her friends are in. I think Amon will be a big part of carrying this show.

causan

Great first two episodes. I'm so glad there are show like this that me, my wife and my daughters can all enjoy together.

CoolS

Because of all the Ozai talk, I remebered one of my favourite lines from Zuko:

"Uncle, you have to fight the fatherlord!"

Aang is better than Korra and old gang is better than the new one with the exception of the air benders. I don't like the bland teenage phase that Korra and her friends are in. I think Amon will be a big part of carrying this show.

Sorry, but watch the first two episodes of TLA and say that again. It's just such an unfair comparison at this point.

bullshit on this. Amazons online player and its own player are fucking terrible but you get files that WMP can play at a quality on par with the itunes version. it is also possible to un drm the version you get for future use

You're right. After trying the Amazon file in WMP the quality is a lot closer to the itunes version.

Amazon: http://i.minus.com/i7ktckcuHk7p6.png

iTunes: http://i.minus.com/ibrGfxM3ULHiUB.png

I still think the iTunes version looks a lot better than amazon's, (probably due to it offering 1080p) but it's a lot better than what it looks like using the amazon unbox player.

http://i.minus.com/iQt6pcUahikSL.jpeg

Nice player you got there.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
And Aang matured a shit-ton during that one year. The same way I'm hoping Korra mellows out a little during the run of her show.

That's really the core premise of the show, her journey to come to balance with herself. Aang will be an interesting guide for Korra when she is able to contact him.

It ran for 3 seasons.

Aang's journey in three seasons took place in the span of a year.

I'm not sure its right or even fair to say ether Avatar is better then the other.

The way I feel is:

Korra is more fun to watch at the start of her series then Aang was at the start of his series.

Aang was a much more interesting character at the start of his then Korra is at the start of her series.

Aang became much more fun to watch during the course of the entire run of A:TLA

Hopefully Korra will become a much more interesting character over the course of the run of A:TLK

if that makes sence to anyone but me.

Mumei

The three seasons = one year thing has already been answered, so:

I'm not sure its right or even fair to say ether Avatar is better then the other.

The way I feel is:

Korra is more fun to watch at the start of her series then Aang was at the start of his series.

Aang was a much more interesting character at the start of his then Korra is at the start of her series.

Hopefully Korra will become a much more interesting character over the course of the run of A:TLK

I don't know that I necessarily agree or not, but it makes sense.

Sorry, but watch the first two episodes of TLA and say that again. It's just such an unfair comparison at this point.

Definitely. The first two episodes of Korra seem exponentially more ambitious than Avatar appeared in its first few episodes.

Mr. Sam

Definitely. The first two episodes of Korra seem exponentially more ambitious than Avatar appeared in its first few episodes.

The first two episodes of Avatar were tasked with establishing characters and a universe, whereas the building blocks were already there for Korra. But no, a series can rarely accurately be judged on its opening couple of episodes - though I'd also give Korra the nod.

Mumei

The first two episodes of Avatar were tasked with establishing characters and a universe, whereas the building blocks were already there for Korra. But no, a series can rarely accurately be judged on its opening couple of episodes - though I'd also give Korra the nod.

Oh, you're completely right.

I just think that people are sort of viewing Avatar through rose-tinted lenses; those things that made the show great were established over the course of the show and weren't all present at the start, and a lot of the things that people are complaining about now (especially about the characterization) were just as true (and arguably moreso) in the early episodes of Avatar.

I was wondering that.

If the series started as one season and then became two, will the Amon/Learning Airbending storylines end after the first season, and then go into a new thing in the second?

GCX

I was wondering that.

If the series started as one season and then became two, will the Amon/Learning Airbending storylines end after the first season, and then go into a new thing in the second?
The series was first planned as 14 episodes but Mike and Bryan realized pretty early on that it won't be enough to tell the story properly. So yeah, the main story arc will probably cover (at least) full two seasons.

Tuck

Glad it got a second season, but I wish it was a full 61 episodes like the original was.

I mean, this way, there will be minimal fluff, which is good (Though the fluff in the original series was still great).

But I just want the show to last as long as possible!

UrbanRats

The way I feel is:

Well, Aang had a conflict on the long run, that made him more interesting (him having being asleep while the Fire Nation killed everyone, because he was afraid of becoming the Avatar) so that opened a lot of themes and possibilities.
Korra (so far) has not much, so it all relies on her nemesis; we'll see how they develop this, though.

Well, Aang had a conflict on the long run, that made him more interesting (him having being asleep while the Fire Nation killed everyone, because he was afraid of becoming the Avatar) so that opened a lot of themes and possibilities.
Korra (so far) has not much, so it all relies on her nemesis; we'll see how they develop this, though.

Much like Aang, Korra was locked away from the world for most of her life as well.
Which, I honestly think, was part of the plan. She would have a fresh perspective on things if she was a newcomer. She wasn't really allowed to know much about what was going on in Republic City.

UrbanRats

Much like Aang, Korra was locked away from the world for most of her life as well.
Which, I honestly think, was part of the plan. She would have a fresh perspective on things if she was a newcomer. She wasn't really allowed to know much about what was going on in Republic City.

Yes but Aang willfully ran away, Korra didn't, so that's an element (sense of guilt) that they could play with.
At least until other shit could evolve into the plot.

Jintor

But no, a series can rarely accurately be judged on its opening couple of episodes - though I'd also give Korra the nod.

I think you can generally speaking at the very least get a sense of the production studio's approach to the anime, which will be a pretty good indicator of the quality going forward.

Yes but Aang willfully ran away, Korra didn't, so that's an element (sense of guilt) that they could play with.
At least until other shit could evolve into the plot.

No, but there are other things that they are already playing with.
Like her social awkwardness (she's outgoing, but doesn't really understand people) and her own self doubting (she knows she's strong, which means she hates failing).

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So I watched the second episode. Not really a great start, imo. Both episodes were decent, but I thought TLA started off with a much bigger bang. In TLA, it actually felt like Aang and crew were embarking on an amazing, grand, epic adventure. Part of that was due to the fact that the primary antagonist (Zuko) actually...well, antagonizes. Sure, we got glimpses of the bad guy with the hood and mask, and Toph's daughter might be a pain in the behind, but neither of them actually did anything for the episodes.

Also, speaking of that, did anyone else think that Korra bringing up Toph felt really sudden and forced?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Also, speaking of that, did anyone else think that Korra bringing up Toph felt really sudden and forced?

Not for me. It was in the flow of the conversation. She heard "Bei Fong", and tried to worm her way out of a bad situation by using a name drop. Makes sense to me.

Mumei

I think your commentary makes sense (that it felt like they were about to embark on a grand adventure), though I don't think I agree that it necessarily is worse that the start is somewhat slower. I think it makes sense since, at least at this point in the story, it appears that the brunt of the story is going to take place within the city and I think it would make sense for it to take longer to establish things slowly.

I'm personally a big fan of shows that are willing to take their time to develop things. The first Avatar series had that quality in a lot of ways, actually, but it was a bit faster out of the gate in terms of defining what the goal was for the first season. Shows like The Wire or Monster are also good examples of shows that are similar in that respect.

We'll see, though. I think it is moving at a reasonable clip already, anyway.

When did Aang ever whine? He's always tried to play it cool and stay calm. And if he ever did complain about something, it was legitimate or when he was an emotional wreck.

He whined once in awhile, but it was usually legitimate (or if not "legitimate," then at least it was understandable).

AniHawk

Not for me. It was in the flow of the conversation. She heard "Bei Fong", and tried to worm her way out of a bad situation by using a name drop. Makes sense to me.

plus, aang and the group was pretty legendary, her waterbending master was katara, and her airbending teacher is aang's son. would be hard for her in particular not to know who toph was.

AniHawk

So I watched the second episode. Not really a great start, imo. Both episodes were decent, but I thought TLA started off with a much bigger bang. In TLA, it actually felt like Aang and crew were embarking on an amazing, grand, epic adventure. Part of that was due to the fact that the primary antagonist (Zuko) actually...well, antagonizes. Sure, we got glimpses of the bad guy with the hood and mask, and Toph's daughter might be a pain in the behind, but neither of them actually did anything for the episodes.

man, the first two episodes of avatar are pretty weak relative to the rest of the show, and especially the first two episodes of korra. korra's got better writing, animation, music, and an even more well-developed world (which makes sense since the world is actually just the city). korra is a fish out of water (heh?) story and it makes sense that they'd develop the place she's in first. i really like that there are hints of unrest sorta simmering beneath the surface, and i can't wait to see how that goes completely out of control.

so in short, stop having wrong opinions about things.

UrbanRats

No, but there are other things that they are already playing with.
Like her social awkwardness (she's outgoing, but doesn't really understand people) and her own self doubting (she knows she's strong, which means she hates failing).

I think that element was used to better relate Korra with the old viewers, also.
She is confident when it comes to bending (like we are, with its concept) but it's a fish out of water when presented with the "new world", like us.
That was necessary, due to the chronological jump forward in technology (and culture in general) of the world, i guess; so yeah, that part is intriguing.

Ok, I came up with a weird but plausible theory on Amon today.

One of the major theme's of the Avatar story is one generation having to deal with the legacy of the previous generation.

Aang had to stop a war that His predecessor(Avatar Roku) allow to happen. And deal with the Dai Lee that Avatar Kyoshi formed.

Zuko had to bring Honor back to his Family and make up for the past crimes of his Great Grandfather.

So sticking with this same theme:
I can't help but wonder if Amon and the anit-bender movement are the by-product of something Aang did. Maybe Amon was a student of Avatar Aang. Maybe Aang thought him spirit(chi) bending. Or maybe Aang attempted to turn a very spiritual non-bender into a Airbender using spirit-bending, driving him mad in the process.

DarkWish

So I've seen lots of random Avatar: The Last Airbender episodes and thought it was an interesting show. A while back, I decided to start watching the series... got through the first half of season 1 but then gave up. It just wasn't clicking with me for some reason.

I watched the premiere of The Legend of Korra, and really liked it. Maybe because they get right into the action and everything, and I'm already familiar with much of the mythology since I have seen many episodes of The Last Airbender. And I like Korra as a character. Plus, the animation is awesome, it looks great.

So I guess I'm finally gonna be watching this show, The Legend of Korra caught my attention. Looking forward to episode 3!

Ryan_

As someone who watched The Last Airbender series twice, I really like this new take on the Avatar world. Granted, Korra, as a character, might be more straightforward but the whole steampunk evolution that took place in the years following Aang's victory is really well thought of.

CoolS

So I've seen lots of random Avatar: The Last Airbender episodes and thought it was an interesting show. A while back, I decided to start watching the series... got through the first half of season 1 but then gave up. It just wasn't clicking with me for some reason.

Like said before, did you watch episode 12 and 13? Arguably some of the best episodes in the whole series and the point where it "clicked" for many people with TLA.

RedSwirl

Still can't find ep 2 anywhere. All the official places just have ep1 for free except nick.com's stream. Any legit download of ep 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom