• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra |OT| - Saturday Mornings Just Got Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolS

I'm looking at iTunes right now. It just has ep1.

Should have been more specific I guess, sorry.

I'm looking at it right now as well and it says:

"Welcome to Republich City / A leaf in the Wind" and it's 47:37 Minutes long. That's both episodes in one download :)

Edit: And beaten -.-

Link Man

Banned
Just watched the first two episodes on nick.com. Looks good so far, was great to see Katara again.

What a cockblock with Zuko's Mother, though. Haha.

Wiseblade

Not entirely OT, but where else can I put this?

I just learned how to make GIFs and you can guess what my first course of action was...

i4tSyNAXX85jK.gif
iFDtR2b5yUl0t.gif
il8YqDFw6qxx0.gif

iftBpXe7TYQh9.gif
igouMOrOea9Nf.gif
iOw8WN6ynIkP0.gif

Got to get ready for Episode 3.

Busaiku

How do the rounds in Pro Bending work?

I get that if you knock out all 3 people, you automatically win the match, but I don't understand what constitutes the end of 1 round.

Busaiku

Yeah, but when they were up against the Platypus Bears, the 3rd guy got to the 3rd area before he was knocked down.
At least I think he was.

How do the rounds in Pro Bending work?

I get that if you knock out all 3 people, you automatically win the match, but I don't understand what constitutes the end of 1 round.

Each round last for 3 minutes and at the end if

- A team has gained more territory that team wins the round.
- No team gains territory but one has fewer players, the team with the greater number wins the round
- If a team has fewer players but gained more territory that team wins the round.

Also Note: to win the match they have to knock out all 3 people in that round.

here is a post with the all the rules

Found some more stuff. I present you the rule of pro-bending:

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
When and where?

season 3? her nagging tone was kicked into super high gear. from her giving her dad shit from the moment aang wakes up in the first episode, to her almost getting a village destroyed in the painted lady, and her crass attitude towards sokka while she was on her revenge trip in the southern raiders. if aang can get shit for his temper tantrum when appa was kidnapped, i dont see how she cant be called out for her crap.

you became a horrible character *blocks ears*

*blows raspberry*

Wiseblade

season 3? her nagging tone was kicked into super high gear. from her giving her dad shit from the moment aang wakes up in the first episode, to her almost getting a village destroyed in the painted lady, and her crass attitude towards sokka while she was on her revenge trip in the southern raiders. if aang can get shit for his temper tantrum when appa was kidnapped, i dont see how she cant be called out for her crap.

*blows raspberry*

While I don't think she's that bad, I'm still bitter she never got called out about or apologised for that "I guess you didn't love our mother as much as me" comment. That was totally out of order.

Mumei

While the comment Wiseblade mentioned was something she needed to be called on (and I assume it's what you're talking about with the Southern Raiders), the first two things you mentioned were essentially inconsequential. Her feelings of frustration and abandonment towards her father were perfectly understandable; she was forced at a very young age to grow up. I think the line in the first episode while penguin sledding, "I haven't done this since I was a kid!" (to which Aang replied, "You still are a kid!" said a lot about how she had started to view herself. I think you're being overly harsh and reductive when you dismiss it as Katara giving shit to her dad, especially for something that was resolved within a single episode. She had reason to be frustrated - even recognizing why he did it.

And I suppose one could say that she almost destroyed a village in The Painted Lady, if one were supremely uncharitable. One could also say that she helped save the village, which seems rather more accurate to me.

*blows raspberry*

What the fuck is this bullshit?

She went off on her Father while trying dealing with the feeling of his abandonment while dealing, with having heal and keep Aang alive for two straight weeks. So she ends up sobbing into her father shoulder and asking him why he had to leave her.

She said some fucked up shit to her brother while in the middle of a emotional crisis/break down after she was give a chance to avenge her mother murder. "You didn't love Mom as much as I did!" Of course that was out of character for because she was dealing with some truly fucked up shit.

Yeah what a bitch!

The problem here isn't Katara or how she was written. She reacted in a real and HUMAN way, negatives and all. The problem is you can't seem to handle genuine and realistic character development in a cartoon character.

Parallax

What the fuck is this bullshit?

She went off on her Father while trying dealing with the feeling of his abandonment while dealing, with having heal and keep Aang alive for two straight weeks. So she ends up sobbing into her father shoulder and asking him why he had to leave her.

She said some fucked up shit to her brother while in the middle of a emotional crisis/break down after she was give a chance to avenge her mother murder. "You didn't love Mom as much as I did!" Of course that was out of character for because she was dealing with some truly fucked up shit.

Yeah what a bitch!

The problem here isn't Katara or how she was written. She reacted in a real and HUMAN way, negatives and all. The problem is you can't seem to handle genuine and realistic character development in a cartoon character.

Realistic character development? Hardly. Being pissed at her father being gone is understandable. But she had two damn weeks to talk to him about it. She explodes on him after aang awakens, when his recovery should be her priority. If she were to explode after they had arrived on the boat and they were cleared, sure. But she bottles it and decides to unleash it as he awakens? For someone whos supposed to be the most mature member of the group, she didnt handle that well. At all. Sokka should have just as much of a reason to be pissed, yet he doesnt seem to be. And seeing as how sokka has been a whirlwind of emotion himself, it makes you wonder.

As for the insults she slung at sokka, no, that's not normal. That's spiteful. and the way it just rolled out speaks volumes.

Plenty of characters have "real" emotions to traumatic situations. But acting like an unrepentant asshole is just that.

W_Dreamer

Plenty of characters have "real" emotions to traumatic situations. But acting like an unrepentant asshole is just that.

Well from the point of view a children's show where kids could look up to these characters, yeah its way out of line.

But real people act like assholes all the time. So for it not being "realistic" I dont know. People do/say really shit things to each other when theyre at their lowest. If that's opposite to reality then the world we live in would be a better place.

Jintor

I don't dispute that saying it was realistic, but she really, really should have been called out on it. Emotion isn't a viable excuse to say whatever the fuck you feel like; at best, it's a mitigating factor.

Mumei

Realistic character development? Hardly. Being pissed at her father being gone is understandable. But she had two damn weeks to talk to him about it. She explodes on him after aang awakens, when his recovery should be her priority. If she were to explode after they had arrived on the boat and they were cleared, sure. But she bottles it and decides to unleash it as he awakens? For someone whos supposed to be the most mature member of the group, she didnt handle that well. At all. Sokka should have just as much of a reason to be pissed, yet he doesnt seem to be. And seeing as how sokka has been a whirlwind of emotion himself, it makes you wonder.

So you're saying that she was repressing these resentful feelings for two whole weeks, while his recovery was her top priority, and she only "exploded" on him after Aang had awakened and taken off alone and she felt she was re-experiencing that abandonment? How awful of her! You just explained - without noting it - reasons why she wouldn't have talked to her father about it. You might also add in the fact that she knew that he had good reason to go and that maybe she didn't want to ruin the reunion by immediately having a talk about how mad she was. Or that bottling something up for that long can make it a bit ugly when it finally comes out. I don't know. You're really going out of your way to come up with the most uncharitable spins on her behavior, though.

And Sokka didn't experience the same thing that she did. They had different experiences after their father left. That was established in the very first episode. Do you remember how they found Aang? She was ranting about how he spent all his time playing at soldier while Katara was doing all of the work and basically playing the role of his mother. Katara and Sokka did not experience their father's departure in the same way, and it wouldn't make sense for Sokka to feel as resentful about it.

As for the insults she slung at sokka, no, that's not normal. That's spiteful. and the way it just rolled out speaks volumes.

Spiteful can be normal. No one is defending that, but it is possible to say that it was wrong and still understand it.

Parallax

So you're saying that she was repressing these resentful feelings for two whole weeks, while his recovery was her top priority, and she only "exploded" on him after Aang had awakened and taken off alone and she felt she was re-experiencing that abandonment? How awful of her! You just explained - without noting it - reasons why she wouldn't have talked to her father about it. You might also add in the fact that she knew that he had good reason to go and that maybe she didn't want to ruin the reunion by immediately having a talk about how mad she was. Or that bottling something up for that long can make it a bit ugly when it finally comes out. I don't know. You're really going out of your way to come up with the most uncharitable spins on her behavior, though.

in that two week span, she couldnt find the time to talk to her father? she wasnt the only one tending to aangs welfare. from the way that sokka and toph reacted to the first time we saw her insult her dad, it seemed like an ongoing experience to the point that they werent even phased by it anymore. she didnt want to ruin the reunion? all she had to do was TALK to him. express how she feels. not bottle up her anger to the point that she wild lashes out. she felt abandoned. i understand, i really do. but just being mad does nothing to fix things when you are in such a situation.

And Sokka didn't experience the same thing that she did. They had different experiences after their father left. That was established in the very first episode. Do you remember how they found Aang? She was ranting about how he spent all his time playing at soldier while Katara was doing all of the work and basically playing the role of his mother. Katara and Sokka did not experience their father's departure in the same way, and it wouldn't make sense for Sokka to feel as resentful about it.

why woudnt he? he was left in charge of the whole village. one of nothing but women and children. having to worry about the threat of another fire nation attack. the fact that the entire village could fall while it was under his command. the notion that he cant afford to fail by any means because he was placed with the responsiblity of keeping their home safe from invaders that he would be lucky to defend against. while at the same time, mourning the loss of his mother, just like katara. but no, theres no reason for him to be resentful.

Spiteful can be normal. No one is defending that, but it is possible to say that it was wrong and still understand it.

i want to agree with you on this, but i dont see the point in being willingly spiteful

Veelk

Banned
in that two week span, she couldnt find the time to talk to her father? she wasnt the only one tending to aangs welfare. from the way that sokka and toph reacted to the first time we saw her insult her dad, it seemed like an ongoing experience to the point that they werent even phased by it anymore. she didnt want to ruin the reunion? all she had to do was TALK to him. express how she feels. not bottle up her anger to the point that she wild lashes out. she felt abandoned. i understand, i really do. but just being mad does nothing to fix things when you are in such a situation.

Problem is that that is not a realistic way for a 12 year old, however mature for her age, to react. Fuck, full grown adults rarely act this way. Katara is flawed, but that hardly makes her a horrible person like your saying. Stupid thing is, if she did exactly that, people would probably view her as too mary suish, eterally patient and understanding.

i want to agree with you on this, but i dont see the point in being willingly spiteful

The point of being willingly spiteful is to make the person who you are angry at as miserable as possible because they made you suffer.

why woudnt he? he was left in charge of the whole village. one of nothing but women and children. having to worry about the threat of another fire nation attack. the fact that the entire village could fall while it was under his command. the notion that he cant afford to fail by any means because he was placed with the responsiblity of keeping their home safe from invaders that he would be lucky to defend against. while at the same time, mourning the loss of his mother, just like katara. but no, theres no reason for him to be resentful.

Because the ideal that and 5 year old girl and an her 7 year old brother would react the same to a traumatic event is beyond ridiculous. Also it was 5 year old Katara and her father that found their mother burned body. Sokka wasn't there. Not to mention that it was Katara who was with their mom in her finial moments. So yes that event would effect them differently!

i want to agree with you on this, but i don't see the point in being willingly spiteful

When a person is in the meddle of an emotional breakdown They're not being willingly spiteful.

Not liking Katara is one thing, but don't invent shit to justify your irrational hatred

Mumei

I didn't say that she had no time. When she finally told him what was going on - while even then ostensibly talking about Aang - she said she knew why he had to leave. So since she knew why she had to leave, perhaps she felt guilty about being angry with him despite that? I wasn't saying that she didn't have time; I meant that she might be having mixed feelings about what happened or might have felt guilty about being angry, which would make talking about it more difficult. Difficult subjects are just that, and they can be hard to broach, especially for a fourteen year old girl who is seeing her father for the first time in many years.

You're looking at this from a robotic, unemotional perspective that doesn't really make sense if you're trying to look at it from the character's perspective and not thinking "What is the most mature and reasonable thing they could do" and then measuring them against that.

Again, he experienced it differently. Not only the things that googleplex mentioned, but the simple fact that while Katara was forced to grow up and actually had real day-to-day responsibilities. Sokka spent all his time playing at soldier against a hypothetical Fire Nation attack that simply wasn't coming.

See what googleplex said.

Because the ideal that and 5 year old girl and an her 7 year old brother would react the same to a traumatic event is beyond ridiculous. Also it was 5 year old Katara and her father that found their mother burned body. Sokka wasn't there. Not to mention that it was Katara who was with their mom in her finial moments. So yes that event would effect them differently!

The fact that Katara said goodbye to her mother should have gotten her some kind of closure and Sokka should have acted a little emo for not seeing and saying goodbye to his mother. There was no excuse for her bitchy behavior.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
This is what I've written before in my thoughts on Katara in the Book Three premiere. I hope it is useful to the discussion:

me from years ago said:
Katara is involved in two separate fantastic scenes in the Awakening. The first was the healing session. Aang realizes that she literally brought him back from the dead. A lot of things were left unsaid, but it was a lot more powerful that way.

Something of a side note, I liked how the show didn't directly show Katara by Aang's side when he wakes up, like most shows would have done. It's a bit more subtle in its approach: She's the only one that's still wearing her Water Tribe clothes, which are completely ragged and worn. It implies that her attention has been devoted to Aang entirely the past few weeks, which was subsequently confirmed for in the official comic - The Bridge.

So no, no time for heart to hearts with her father when she doesn't even have the awareness to change. All her focus is on helping with the successful capture of the Fire Nation boat which keeps Aang safe. Everything else comes later, herself included. That's how she worked through her mother's death. That's how she worked through her father's departure. That's how she worked through the loss of Aang, until he runs away and she snaps.

As for duties back home, Katara was really the one who stepped up in the ways that counted. Sokka admitted as much in The Runaway in his talk with Toph:

The Hideaway said:
Sokka: When our mom died, that was the
hardest time in my life. Our family was a mess, but Katara, she had so much
strength. She stepped up and took on so much responsibility. She helped fill
the void that was left by our mom.

Toph: I guess I never thought about that.

Sokka: I'm gonna tell you something crazy. I never told anyone this before, but honestly, I'm
not sure I can remember what my mother looked like. It really seems like, my
whole life, Katara's been the one looking out for me. She's
always been the one that's there, and now, when I try to remember my mom, Katara's
is the only face I can picture.

There would have been little Sokka could have done if the Fire Nation decided to engage in another raid; we actually saw it in the first episode when Zuko's small ship rammed right into the village. The only way their home stayed safe was because it wasn't a target.

On the breakdown scene:
me said:
The second is the aforementioned scene with Hakoda, which may have factored into Katara's hesitancy to meet up with her father in the Earth King. I am absolutely not a fan of characters stating what they're feeling (it's like one of those cardinal sins), but Mae Whitman delivers a great performance in this scene and plays Katara perfectly. Katara is someone who was forced to be responsible and practical much too soon. But underneath her motherly attitude is a girl full of emotional baggage and abandonment issues. I love how in her breakdown, she acknowledges that she's behaving irrationally, but can't really help it. At this point, Katara knows how much Aang means to her (he's now pretty much as important as her own father), and to have him run off reduced her to tears. Hakoda comforts her in a way that a good father should. An extremely moving scene.

No one is in a position to say what is reasonable and not reasonable for children exposed to awful events over and over again. Hakoda himself doesn't say anything to defend himself, because he understands it's been hell for her. You also can't compare personal experiences and say "since this person reacted this way, another person should do the same". She isn't being rational, but she's a fourteen year old girl and the people she care about the most just won't stop leaving her. I think a little empathy and compassion for her actions is absolutely justified, given the context of the events that occurred.

Mumei

The fact that Katara said goodbye to her mother should have gotten her some kind of closure and Sokka should have acted a little emo for not seeing and saying goodbye to his mother.

He doesn't even remember her, remember?

There was no excuse for her bitchy behavior.

Really? I think from these conversations that there are, in fact, excuses reasonable explanations for her behavior.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I don't think she necessarily had a handle on her own thoughts and emotions. When aang questioned her on it earlier in the episode, she seemed confused and was like, "I'm not mad... what do you mean?". Aang leaving triggered a breakdown for her and her abandonment issues surfaced. That's why it's art man. It's not rational, but nither are people... it gives you a small insight into the heart of a fictional character. I don't see any issues here. Coincidentally, I just re-watched the episode with my wife.
Weird that you guys are discussing it. :S

I will say that upon re-watching the show, the subtle traces of commentary on children and life during war time are pretty impressive. The way that every town they travel to is filled with mostly old people, women and children because the men are away at war... and how this puts older children into the roles as defenders...
It's really great commentary... and a handy plot device for a kids show :)

The fact that Katara said goodbye to her mother should have gotten her some kind of closure and Sokka should have acted a little emo for not seeing and saying goodbye to his mother. There was no excuse for her bitchy behavior.

Big scary fire bender comes into her home, Her mother sends her away to protect her. You call that a goodbye to her mother ?

........Da fuck?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I will say that upon re-watching the show, the subtle traces of commentary on children and life during war time are pretty impressive. The way that every town they travel to is filled with mostly old people, women and children because the men are away at war... and how this puts older children into the roles as defenders...
It's really great commentary... and a handy plot device for a kids show :)

PeabodyAward.jpg

It did get one of those for "‘unusually complex characters and [a] healthy respect for the consequences of warfare."

Parallax

Problem is that that is not a realistic way for a 12 year old, however mature for her age, to react. Fuck, full grown adults rarely act this way. Katara is flawed, but that hardly makes her a horrible person like your saying. Stupid thing is, if she did exactly that, people would probably view her as too mary suish, eterally patient and understanding.

if a grown adult you consider your friend acted in the manner that katara did, how would you take it?

minus the mary sue comment, what exactly is bad about the other two?

The point of being willingly spiteful is to make the person who you are angry at as miserable as possible because they made you suffer.

im sorry, but isnt that what happened? upset that sokka didnt jump on appa faster than she did, made a remark that was hurtful?

so he shouldnt be as affected negatively by his mothers passing, because he didnt see her die?

When a person is in the meddle of an emotional breakdown They're not being willingly spiteful.

Not liking Katara is one thing, but don't invent shit to justify your irrational hatred

i havent invented a thing

I didn't say that she had no time. When she finally told him what was going on - while even then ostensibly talking about Aang - she said she knew why he had to leave. So since she knew why she had to leave, perhaps she felt guilty about being angry with him despite that? I wasn't saying that she didn't have time; I meant that she might be having mixed feelings about what happened or might have felt guilty about being angry, which would make talking about it more difficult. Difficult subjects are just that, and they can be hard to broach, especially for a fourteen year old girl who is seeing her father for the first time in many years.

so shes mad that she feels upset about feeling abandoned by him?

You're looking at this from a robotic, unemotional perspective that doesn't really make sense if you're trying to look at it from the character's perspective and not thinking "What is the most mature and reasonable thing they could do" and then measuring them against that.

while it may appear that way, and i can understand that you think so, i am in fact putting myself in kataras shoes. its in the one way we are similar minus the fact that she was reunited with her father. i can understand how it feels, which is why i dont understand her actions.

Again, he experienced it differently. Not only the things that googleplex mentioned, but the simple fact that while Katara was forced to grow up and actually had real day-to-day responsibilities. Sokka spent all his time playing at soldier against a hypothetical Fire Nation attack that simply wasn't coming.

now that simply isnt fair. its ok to cast shade on what sokka was doing to hope for a chance of a survival against a far more formidable opponent, but judging katara is different? and lets be honest, the fire nation WAS going to invade the southern water tribe. within the year, it was gonna happen, especially if the avatar wasnt there.

Veelk

Banned
if a grown adult you consider your friend acted in the manner that katara did, how would you take it?

I'd understand, and try to help them get over it. I certainly wouldn't think less of them for it over reacting badly to such an emotionally damaging situation.

minus the mary sue comment, what exactly is bad about the other two?

How do you mean? In terms of storytelling, it can be dull and unrealistic, hence the mary sue connotations. In terms of morality, nothing of course, but that's close to saintlike behavior and just because people don't react that way in bad situations doesn't make them horrible people. That's absurd to think of most people in general, let alone 12 year old children.

im sorry, but isnt that what happened? upset that sokka didnt jump on appa faster than she did, made a remark that was hurtful?
...yes? I'm not sure where your going with this. Obviously Katara acted in a way that was hurtful to those around her out of spite. No one here is arguing that Katara was right to act that way. Just that it was perfectly understandable and doing so doesn't make her a horrible character or person.

so he shouldnt be as affected negatively by his mothers passing, because he didnt see her die?

Uh...yes? There is a world of difference between being told your mother died and personally seeing her sacrifice herself to the wrath of a big man in scary, monsterous looking armor, knowing you this is the last time you are ever going to see her. Further, Sokka said that he barely remembers his mom, so the pain is not as bad. I don't see how you could argue that they share equal burdens here.

while it may appear that way, and i can understand that you think so, i am in fact putting myself in kataras shoes. its in the one way we are similar minus the fact that she was reunited with her father. i can understand how it feels, which is why i dont understand her actions.
You really aren't. You are looking at this from a very rational perspective, which is by definition the opposite of being in emotional turmoil. You may be imagining being in her position, but you are not feeling her rage and pain. It's not that the events in your life aren't similar, it's that you aren't in the same emotional mindset. Hence, you think rationally, while she is unable to.

now that simply isnt fair. its ok to cast shade on what sokka was doing to hope for a chance of a survival against a far more formidable opponent, but judging katara is different? and lets be honest, the fire nation WAS going to invade the southern water tribe. within the year, it was gonna happen, especially if the avatar wasnt there.

First off, where are you getting this? They only invade to steal waterbenders, which they have no knowledge of being there. Second, whether they were or not isn't really relevent because whatever Sokka was doing, he was doing it as preparation for the future. He might have to worry about a future attack, but his day to say life was relatively easy. Katara was dealing with the problems of the present, making sure they had food to eat and all that. Both are heavy burdens, but the show made it fairly clear that Katara was the one who took her mothers role while Sokka was still very much a kid.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Have selfish anger? Be bitter about something they know they shouldn't be bitter about? Misplace their rage?
People literally do this all the time, almost every day all over the world. Its a pretty common way for people to react to bad shit happening to them...

And being a teenage girl back into the mix and you basically have high school.

So, how someone would act toward someone doing that is sorta' irrelevant

Prax

Well, I personally didn't like Aang or Katara much.. and liked them even less as a couple. xD
For whatever reason, they became super preachy or bordering on condescending together.
Aang is an annoying kid to me, and even though he grows/matures throughout the show, it still comes across as an annoying kid just with an added holier-than-thou attitude. His crush on Katara and all that about compromising stuff so he could "be" with her also made me kinda.. cringe.
Katara I disliked more because she was a nag despite being so naive, yet still thinking she was so mature or cared the most or blah blah blah. That really rubs me the wrong way. And then she also beats all other water bending gurus and heals everyone, beats crazy Azula, and blood bends. My eyes cannot roll enough!

Korra, I like though, partially because she is a physically athletic female, and partially because she is older and has been trained most of her life. She's hotheaded and arrogant (not without skills to back it up lol) and gets put in her place as well, so it's good. Hopefully her power levels don't become all nuts (even though she IS the avatar) and I don't have to grow tired of her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom