• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra |OT| - Saturday Mornings Just Got Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Will watch this when I get home if it's still on the intertubes.

So how would y'all compare this to the first Avatar's opening episodes? Cause I thought they started off pretty strong.

Blackhead

Redarse
Hmm. Oh well. Even if Amazon didn't IP block, I'd have a hard time paying for anything on there, on account of not having a US credit card.

Apple doesn't ip block you just have to set up an account in the USA with a USA payment method. You can use US iTunes gift cards to pay. Search online for how to buy from abroad.

Wiseblade

Fans have found a way :|

Fixed, I'm sure. There's no way some filthy High Risk Traders didn't rip the first two episodes back when they were on Korranation.com.

Will watch this when I get home if it's still on the intertubes.

So how would y'all compare this to the first Avatar's opening episodes? Cause I thought they started off pretty strong.

It's leagues better. Although it's not really a fair comparison, since Korra's debut has 61 episodes of rich fiction backing up while TLA went in fresh.

That was Steve Blum voicing Amon wasn't it?

Yep.

Apple doesn't ip block you just have to set up an account in the USA with a USA payment method. You can use US iTunes gift cards to pay. Search online for how to buy from abroad.

IIRC Best Buy has a thing where overseas people can buy stuff from their website using a special address so i think itunes cards could work.

The thing is though if it works it can take Best Buy a while to email the code.

Oblivion

Couple of minutes in and I gotta say, looking pretty terrible. Godawful dialogue, annoying characters, seemingly non-sensical plot.

Oh, wait. Sorry, I was accidentally watching ANY episode of season 3 of TLA by mistake.

Silly me!

Bit-Bit

Couple of minutes in and I gotta say, looking pretty terrible. Godawful dialogue, annoying characters, seemingly non-sensical plot.

Oh, wait. Sorry, I was accidentally watching ANY episode of season 3 of TLA by mistake.

Silly me!

Is this the worst poster of the internet? I vote yes.

Oblivion

K, finished watching the first episode. Seems decent enough, though personally felt the pacing seemed a little off. Also seems Steven Blum brought along a few of his anime dubbing buddies with him.

Also, judging by the reactions here, I'm assuming enough time has passed by that Season 3 is now loved by all?

K, finished watching the first episode. Seems decent enough, though personally felt the pacing seemed a little off. Also seems Steven Blum brought along a few of his anime dubbing buddies with him.

Also, judging by the reactions here, I'm assuming enough time has passed by that Season 3 is now loved by all?

season 3 being hated is news to me.

Actually, comparing the iTunes video download to Amazon's, iTunes has much better video quality. So I guess I'll get the season pass thing from them. Amazon's are all pixelated in comparison.

It might be just me, but. I'll just link the images since they'll be huge.

Amazon: http://i.minus.com/iQt6pcUahikSL.jpeg

iTunes: http://i.minus.com/iuPjMvOTbtqU2.jpg

ಠ_ಠ
I meant in a general way! Not in a "grr i'm gonna download torrents fuck the man grr" way.

Piecake

Recently did a rewatch of season 3 and liked it much better than when i saw it the first time. Watching it all at once helped a lot. There are a few bad episodes in there, but well, that was the case with every season. And the 4 episode finale is all sorts of awesome.

Still not as good as season 2, but i think season 3 is better than season 1

Mumei

Out of curiosity, did you watch Season 3 on DVD first, or as it was airing? I think that Season 3's diversions seem less like random filler when you aren't waiting weeks (and then months) between episodes.

I thought the general consensus on TLA had always been 2>3>1 with all seasons being great

No, this is the impression I have as well.

I thought season 3 was great, but I wasn't around when it was originally airing. Can definitely see how some of the episodes could have been seen as filler at the time.

udivision

The fact that this show as only going to be 12 episodes long shows.

Oblivion

Out of curiosity, did you watch Season 3 on DVD first, or as it was airing? I think that Season 3's diversions seem less like random filler when you aren't waiting weeks (and then months) between episodes.

Yeah, I watched it as it was airing.

I thought the general consensus on TLA had always been 2>3>1 with all seasons being great

The way that I remember it, there was a shitload of hype for season 3, but once it started airing, there was a lot of disappointment being voiced. Hell, I was following the Avatar thread back during that time and everyone here was tearing it to shreds.

I do think that it should be noted this was for the first half of season 3. The second half I remember people viewing as more positive, and unless I'm mistaken, people were quite happy with the finale.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Only have seen the first ep so far (Amazon watcher, here), my thoughts:

An amazing first episode, probably the best production values I've ever seen in an American* animated television show, easily matching the best anime and surpassing most everything else except feature films. As for the show itself, I was iffy on Korra going in but in this episode my doubts have turned 160 degrees around. Not a full 180, but definitely getting there. The only knock, so far, is it seems to be in The Last Airbender's shadow, constantly referencing it and not really letting it stand on its own. I know why they did this and I know it won't be an issue later on (I hope, at least), but I felt it was worth mentioning.

An amazing first episode, probably the best production values I've ever seen in an American* animated television show, easily matching the best anime and surpassing most everything else except feature films. As for the show itself, I was iffy on Korra going in but in this episode my doubts have turned 160 degrees around. Not a full 180, but definitely getting there. The only knock, so far, is it seems to be in The Last Airbender's shadow, constantly referencing it and not really letting it stand on its own. I know why they did this and I know it won't be an issue later on (I hope, at least), but I felt it was worth mentioning.

I feel referencing TLA was kind of unavoidable given the nature of the Avatar cycle.

Piecake

I think the animation and production values absolutely craps on pretty much any anime out there right now. I really cant think of any anime that even come close

Mumei

I think the animation and production values absolutely craps on pretty much any anime out there right now. I really cant think of any anime that even come close

I haven't kept up as much with top-notch animation anime in recent years, but as far as television productions go, I agree.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Certainly I agree, I just had this niggling doubt in my mind I had seen something on par with it recently... but I can't remember what. Well I guess that makes Korra king (queen?)

I feel referencing TLA was kind of unavoidable given the nature of the Avatar cycle.

I felt if they wanted to, this could have been set 150 or 200 years in the future. Heck it's a little hard to buy all the tech advancement as it is. Then they could actually reference Avatar once in a while for the fans without actually having characters from that show walking around reminding us of it constantly.

Piecake

Certainly I agree, I just had this niggling doubt in my mind I had seen something on par with it recently... but I can't remember what. Well I guess that makes Korra king (queen?)

I felt if they wanted to, this could have been set 150 or 200 years in the future. Heck it's a little hard to buy all the tech advancement as it is. Then they could actually reference Avatar once in a while for the fans without actually having characters from that show walking around reminding us of it constantly.

Im fine with it, and I doubt they will reference it much beyond the first episode. The only times i think we will see it again is when Korra will go into magical la la land and meet Aang (like he met Roku)

As for the tech advancement, I bought it. The fire nation was pretty technologically advanced in TLA thanks to firebending that metal, but now with actual metal benders? totally see fire and especially metal benders skyrocketing the tech advancement of the world

I remember reading somewhere that Avatar gets like $1 million budgeted per episode, which is considerably more than any anime series would be allocated. High quality OVAs or more likely anime films would be on par with the quality we're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom