• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild has no towns, handful of stray NPCs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Collin posted this in the Treehouse thread:

If this is true, well its a bummer for me. Towns in Zelda games always feel vibrant and down right fun.

What are your thoughts on an open world Zelda game without towns and villages?

I've liked everything I've seen. Town are not the most memorable things in Zelda games. Hopefully they're making awesome
non water related
dungeons.

_woLf

This is a HUGE bummer for me.

I hate feeling alone in games. It makes me anxious and uncomfortable. My favorite thing about Zelda was even when you were in spooky places, you always knew you had navi/fi/midna/etc there with you.

This freaking sucks.

I am loving the direct inspiration from Zelda 1. No town, no tutorial, just get out there and do the thing.

I normally love Zelda's towns. Castle Town in Twilight was my favorite. But let's try something different!

Caelus

Sounds fine if they're going all post-apocalyptic, there will probably be small scattered settlements with people, maybe even hostile survivors or crafty merchants.

wrowa

Welp. Hoped there might be some time travel mechanics to make towns work in a ruined Hyrule, but I guess that's that then. Really disappointing since lively towns are actually kinda important to me in Zelda.

Sylas

I'm digging the idea that this is a post-post-apocalyptic Hyrule along the lines of Crystalis--but a bit more barren. The lack of towns is already making me wonder what the hell happened to Hyrule, whereas having towns would inevitably have people talking about "The Calamity" or talking about legends and whatnot.

fernoca

They literally said it's like in the first Zelda game. Which many were asking for. Around the sense of solutide and exploration.

BlackJace

3 lines of canned dialogue from an NPC telling me how many hearts I can recover from drinking Lon Lon milk will not be missed.

Neiteio

My favorite Zelda game, Majora's Mask, was largely defined by its diverse cast of characters in a bustling town full of life and lore. I look back fondly on that game, remembering all of the strange faces and places.

So, I do think BotW risks lacking some "heart" because of this. That being said, BotW looks great from a gameplay standpoint, with its nonlinear progression, increased player agency, and its sense of exploration, discovery and adventure.

So... like I said... Mixed feelings!

cr0w

Old Member
Good. Harkens back to the original, and hopefully will cut down on the annoying tutorials every time you do something or get an item you've received 100x previously. It might even keep me from being interrupted by a fucking mail man every 5 steps into Hyrule Field. Just give me Hyrule, Link and Epona and let me go.

styl3s

I'm glad they are going in a different direction and trying new things and everything i have seen so far looks amazing and if the direction they went in doesn't have towns i am 100% fine with that choice.

I don't want the exact same formula over and over again and i most certainly didn't want a game anything like skyward sword.

Aeana

I'm okay with this, because to me, towns in Zelda games just mean I have to do a stupid archery game for a heart piece or something.

TissueBox

AW WUT

Well...

I guess if it's in, like, a pseudo-post apocalyptic/ruined setting then it makes sense...sounds very lone-hero though.

Well they just showed off a Wolf Link companion that follows you in-game, so the part about being entirely alone is wrong.

oVBstAy.png

Fou-Lu

It makes sense to with where the setting is going. I mean I love Zelda towns, but I am happy for some new direction.

Though I feel like not having a Dark Cloud style civilization rebuilding system is a missed opportunity.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
That's his 4th post on NeoGAF ever, we can't exactly trust him.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Okay, if it works for the story/setting. That's what matters.

this.
plus I dont get from where people have found this lie of "towns" as crucial part of zelda games.
like...it has never be part of the core of the games.
the post apocalyctic setting, the wild, the loneliness showed are a perfect fit for this choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom