• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda live action movie announcement!

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I think I've seen this movie already...
Legend.jpg

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This was a choice made by Nintendo of Japan though, they pitched the project to a big movie studio. They probably want a more ""mature"" take on Zelda, as opposed to Mario being the fun, family-friendly GCI movie.
I think it has more to do trying to appeal to western audience….you can still be animated and mature but unfortunately most western audiences don’t take animations seriously.

Laieon

World of Warcraft(was ok movie)😂

The WoW movie unironically has my favorite spell casting visuals out of any movie I've seen, and I watch a ton of movies despite the CG not being all that great. Love the runes that show up in the spells.

Well.....I guess we'll see. Assuming that Nintendo is going to have a similar level of involvement here as in Mario, it's probably a safe bet that it won't be a dumpster fire, but I wouldn't hold my breath for anything above mediocre. Wes Ball has yet to direct anything rising above the level of "okay".

Doom85

unfortunately most western audiences don’t take animations seriously.

I’d say that mindset is shrinking with each generation though. The 80’s really didn’t help with most western animation being more or less a toy commercial for kids so western animation had to slowly dig itself back up from that.

Obviously anime fandom is growing more and more and none of them have delusions of animation not being a medium to be taken seriously. And you can tell some western animators are really trying to slowly break the mold. Across the Spider-verse had some mild profanity despite that up to this point being a major no-no for cartoon films that weren’t raunchy comedies. You have Pixar occasionally just flat out making their themes aimed solely at adults, like Up with “no matter how old you get, don‘t stop living life to the fullest” or Soul with “even if you don’t fulfill your dreams or realize what you ended up doing isn’t what you truly wanted, your life wasn’t wasted. Love every moment, from the big to the small, and don’t think of your life as meaningless.” Sure, kids can keep that message in the back of their minds as they get older, but obviously it’s meant for adults. Then you have some of Studio Laika’s films, like Coraline not giving a shit how much they might scare someone watching, and Paranorman with the reveal of the antagonist’s backstory which, well, is certainly a LOT for a kid to learn about a certain dark moment of American history.

Obviously, there will be pushback from some people, like some ignorant parents who think every animated film needs to be something they would show their kid (never mind that even PG stands for Parental Guidance Suggested, it’s almost like parents should research a film first rather than demanding any individual film cater to what they think is acceptable), but I feel as time passes on this will become less of an issue.

Doom85

It’s a shame they’ll likely mostly draw upon BOTW/TOTK to draw in as much of the casual audience, when the key to making the best Zelda movie would be to have Link’s companion be a certain snarky imp who mocks him and the rest of Hyrule’s residents for a good deal of the movie:

happy the legend of zelda GIF

(note: not my absolute #1 Zelda game, just the best character of the franchise IMHO)

jcorb

I don't see any chance of a live-action Zelda being able to live up to the hype.

To be honest, I wasn't even that keen on the Mario movie (Peach was obnoxious, and wasn't super into most of the cast, though Toad and Luigi were great). But live-action Zelda just seems like a trainwreck waiting to happen...

But hey, best wishes to them on that. I love me some Zelda. I'm just... not getting my hopes up.

It’s a shame they’ll likely mostly draw upon BOTW/TOTK to draw in as much of the casual audience, when the key to making the best Zelda movie would be to have Link’s companion be a certain snarky imp who mocks him and the rest of Hyrule’s residents for a good deal of the movie:

(note: not my absolute #1 Zelda game, just the best character of the franchise IMHO)
Midna feels like a character you'd put in a Japanese adaptation... to put it diplomatically. Her entire personality type is off the table for the western studios for better or for worse.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
In a kingdom covered in boogers and cum… one young pointy eared man is all that stands between total chaos. Join Keanu Reeves as Link in an epic fuck fueled fantasy as he goes to shred the anus of the big dick evil yogurt slinger known as Ganon played by Danny Devito.

This summer, shake those mommy milkers for daddy ; because Link is going to put just the tri force tip IN YOU!

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
After the success of Mario they will probably pour a lot of money into this. Hopefully it will turn out decent.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Will Link talk?

blacktout

Hope they don't go overboard with CGI, Hyrule is grounded enough to use natural landscapes and what not, just with different style structures, technology, etc., and of course the monsters and everything, rather than try to make a whole new alien fantasy world from the ground up a la Avatar.

Strongly agree with this take. The more real landscapes and practical effects, the better. If they film this thing inside one of those Marvel blue screen missile silos, I'm fucking out.

Hardensoul

What part of Zelda is anything like Lord of the Rings? Zelda has more common with shows like Ranking of Kings rather than LOTR stuff.
I’m say it’s more grounded like Lord of the rings. Not talking about story. More of the Fantasy elements fighting and monsters like LoTR.

Luffy and company transforms to different size and shapes. Fights can’t destroy huge landscapes. Not similar to Zelda at all.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’m say it’s more grounded like Lord of the rings. Not talking about story. More of the Fantasy elements fighting and monsters like LoTR.

Luffy and company transforms to different size and shapes. Fights can’t destroy huge landscapes. Not similar to Zelda at all.
I wasn’t really talking about One Piece being similar to Zelda, I was talking about how some IPs don’t work as live action and One Piece was one of the examples and I don’t see Zelda working as live action without being super awkward and cringe as fuck.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

I wasn’t really talking about One Piece being similar to Zelda, I was talking about some IPs don’t work as live action and One Piece was one of the examples and I don’t see Zelda working as live action without being super awkward and cringe as fuck.
I liked One Piece live action. I didn’t expect it to ever be 1 to 1. The story and action doesn’t get too crazy until Saboady. After that it’ll be hard to adapt.

Lots of Fantasy movies has proven it can be done. But the main issue will be Link, no one will like when Link starts talking! 😂

Edit: Ugh forgot about Little Garden!

Last edited:

Hardensoul

I tried but I couldn’t stomach it even 1 minutes of it.
Understandable! It’s different for sure but the actors captured the essence of One Piece. After finishing it. I got me to rewatch the anime from the beginning. In almost 2 months, I’m in Wano starting with raid on Onigashima.

I had stop watching One Piece after Fishman Island. Was mainly manga reader.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I hope they go more Lord of the Rings for the look and feel, and less D&D movie tone. Maybe more 80's Never Ending Story vibes.

I don't have high hopes for this. It needs to be epic, and not a lot of movies know how to do that.

Sony? Then the movie will be about a kid who becomes a professional swordsman after getting the Master Sword and beating Ganon in a game. Neat!

Zannegan

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I absolutely HATED Midna. Practically ruined TP for me because you couldn't get rid of her. None of her humor landed, she was an entitled little twerp, and any attempt to create pathos around her story absolutely failed.

I'd rather head "Hey, listen!" On loop for an entire movie than have to watch that "1,000 year old dragon" design grace the silver screen.

poodaddy

The director is a nobody and it's being produced by Avi Arad. Christ.....

The only thing that gives me hope is that Nintendo specifically noted that they're financing the majority of the production. That means they have the most creative power in the production, so I hope Shigeru utilizes said power and keeps Sony from Morbiusing our dear Zelda.

Not optimistic about this one, not necessarily pessimistic either. Curious to learn more.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Live action western movie? You just know this is going to be checkmarked and made for "modern audiences" of course.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
I think it has more to do trying to appeal to western audience….you can still be animated and mature but unfortunately most western audiences don’t take animations seriously.
I mean, it's them catering to a global audience, that's why I told people to not expect an anime Zelda movie, even if it's what we all want here. It doesn't necessarily translate to a good thing, but it is what it is...

Last edited:
Top Bottom