• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda live action movie announcement!

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
If Zelda Live Action never came out, I could live with it, because this movie exists. I think it is top 3 best Fantasy movies ever put together and released to the public.
The 80s had awesome fantasy movies that scared the shit out of me as a kid. Legend, Willow, Labyrinth, The Dark Crystal, Never Ending Story, etc.

Legend has amazing cinematography. It's crazy how good it looks. Set pieces, costumes, and practical effects were perfect.
Legend.jpg

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Shigeru must be starting to get senile in his old age if he speaks so highly of fucking Avi Arad of all people as if he's some world class producer after the many bombas he produced lmao That's more shocking than the fact that it's live action.

NanaMiku

Shigeru must be starting to get senile in his old age if he speaks so highly of fucking Avi Arad of all people as if he's some world class producer after the many bombas he produced lmao That's more shocking than the fact that it's live action.
It's just Japanese business custom. He also spoke highly about Illumination for Mario movie

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Madhouse Studio is also good choice for making Zelda anime....I'm LOVING Frieren Beyond Journey's End's adaptation.

CuNi

Where does this weird urge to create live action movies come from and when will it finally be over.

Full CGI would've been way better. They even have so many styles of rendering they could've picked from. Maybe it's just me who has a unexplained hate for love action, but whatever movie it is, it instantly loses most of my interest just for being live action.

Doom85

The 80s had awesome fantasy movies that scared the shit out of me as a kid. Legend, Willow, Labyrinth, The Dark Crystal, Never Ending Story, etc.

The Rock Sunglasses GIF

Mentioning 80’s fantasy movies that scared the shit out of you and you fail to mention Return to Oz?!

bAW1N76.gif

I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were traumatized to the point you had to block the movie from your memory in order to recover. In which case, oh, my bad.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
The Rock Sunglasses GIF

Mentioning 80’s fantasy movies that scared the shit out of you and you fail to mention Return to Oz?!

bAW1N76.gif

I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were traumatized to the point you had to block the movie from your memory in order to recover. In which case, oh, my bad.
Yeah, this needs to feel retro and wholesome and naive. Not a spectacle, but epic.

Chastten

Banned
The best part about all this is the mention of Sony Pictures as co-working on it. Console wars is something only kids on boards like this keep themselves busy with, meanwhile no one at either companies gives a fuck about who sells the most as long as they're both making record profits year after year.

But yeah, looking forward to seeing how this turned out. The Mario Bros movie wasn't great, but it was fun, which is all that matters to me for a Mario movie. A Zelda movie will have to be epic though.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
It is quite comical that back in the day PlayStation project was backed by the same Sony CEO who bought Columbia Pictures.

Historic feud between Sony and Nin is over, it seems.

I’m also not against the live action, it’s not like Zelda has a riveting plot or engaging dialogues. If done right, movie can perfectly sustain the vibe while being dumb.

Majukun

even coming back from the surprising success of the onepiece LA...this is gonna go terribly wrong isn't it?

and Miya being involved , present Miya, doesn't make me feel safer

Emedan

Man what a blow, Sony pictures haven't made anything good in a very long time. It's gonna be shite.

Reactions: Fbh

mcjmetroid

After the success of the Super Mario's Bros movie I'm baffled by the decision to go live action.

What in the fuck.

No Way Animation GIF by Mashed
It's like this.
Zelda doesn't have the same appeal mainstream as Mario.
Mario can get away with being animated as in general it's a goofy fun exprience and people will go see it no matter what because it's Mario.

A Zelda movie would need to bring in more casual viewers to be successful, viewers who have never played Zelda and more likely an older audience too. People still see animation as a kids thing in the west especially in the cinema realm.
It makes sense to make it live action to make it appealing to not only gamers but fans of the fantasy genre as well.

Another thing I'd caution people on is I don't expect this to be as close or as reference heavy as Mario is to Mario games. I believe they will aim for something more like the Sonic movies. As in, it has references yes but it's very much it's own thing and anyone can get into it whether they've played the games or not.

sigmaZ

Gold Member
I for one just hope it's diverse enough. I think a deaf paraplegic non-binary turtle should play to role of Zelda.
No, but for real. Ganon better have a scene where he sings, "Zelda, Zelda, Zelda!"

Goddamit I wanted my Studio Ghibli film :(

You would think partnering with Ghibli for a Zelda movie would be the biggest no-brainer ever.

Live action is a hard sell for me here, but I'll withhold judgement till we see/know more. A Ghibli film utilizing the art style from the original LoZ booklet would've been my dream.

Flutta

Banned
Can’t wait till they show us who will play Link and all hell will break lose. Sweaty nerds will take it to the streets, and by streets i mean twitter or X. 🤓

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
well excusssseeeee mee she/her/they/them

I wonder what strong woman will play Zelda they better make her lame and gay so she can save the helpless Link from being toxic.....I mean Ganon

Fbh

You guys think Tom Holland will be Link and Chris Pratt Zelda? or the other way around ?

Also Avid Arad and Sony pictures
Walking Glancing GIF

Shifty1897

I hope my favorite Link quote is in the movie:
"Do you think God lives in Heaven because He, too, lives in fear of what He's created here on Earth?"

Just kidding, that's from Spy Kids 2. Link just says "HIYAH!"

Last edited:

ultrazilla

IMO it *has* to be a motion capture/animatronic production. Picture Jim Henson's "The Dark Crystal and The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance" and "Avatar".

Realize Link, Princess Zelda and other Hyrulians with motion capture ala "Avatar" and bring the rest of the characters and monsters alive with animatronics/puppets from the Jim Henson Company(Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, Five Nights at Freddy's)

And this has a *VERY* good chance of happening! Read on:

The director of the film, Wes Ball(Mazerunner and the new Planet of the Apes movie coming out) posted this back in 2010:

Let's goooooooooooooooooo! :messenger_fire: :messenger_fire: :messenger_fire:

dc_unit_10082_r_brea-in-center_wide-c2ff3f879b65e4c8c01e103c1fad29d7eca7d00a.jpg

5A826DA2-F89C-4647-9D6A-736A46C67296_1_201_a-326559225-1601372496844.jpeg
190822-darkcrystal4.jpg

Explain? Because there has been a lot of live action fantasy movies. There’s nothing new in Zelda games that’s not been done in movies and tv.
You can get away with so much more in animation and it not look dreadful. Especially where Zelda games are colourful and have quite a unique art style, animation feels much more suitable.

Of course there are a lot of live action fantasy movies, Dungeons and Dragons being a recent example of it working well. That being said, D&D doesn't really follow a particular art style. Zelda has never really looked particularly realistic so how they'll convert that to live action will be interesting to see. My bet is that it'll be an overload of CG.

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying that an animated movie would be so much better in my opinion.

Hardensoul

You can get away with so much more in animation and it not look dreadful. Especially where Zelda games are colourful and have quite a unique art style, animation feels much more suitable.

Of course there are a lot of live action fantasy movies, Dungeons and Dragons being a recent example of it working well. That being said, D&D doesn't really follow a particular art style. Zelda has never really looked particularly realistic so how they'll convert that to live action will be interesting to see. My bet is that it'll be an overload of CG.

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying that an animated movie would be so much better in my opinion.
I don’t care either way. I like both mediums.

But Zelda may not have realistic motion caps like recent cinematic AAA games. But the art style of Zelda games are pretty diverse. Ocarina of Time, Majora’s Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword and now BoTW.

Not all colorful, had light and dark themes in the series.

I’ll reserved judgement until film is completed!

StueyDuck

Interesting seeing Sony produce. Obviously Sony productions and SIE aren't the same, but when ninty burnt Sony back in the day it was OG Sony not SIE so its funny to see this production happen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom