• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego 21309: NASA Apollo Saturn V

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBT85

Mix the bags as in, take all the individual bags and combine them, then start building???

That sounds insane!

The joy of Lego is thus:

• Mix the bags up, because rooting through 2000 bricks to find the 1x1 transparent brick you need is part of the experience.
  • Dropping a piece on the floor, only for it to bounce away into oblivion and be eaten by the unscrupulous carpet monster
  • Later finding said piece with your foot at 2AM when you're busting for a piss and everyone in the house is asleep.
  • Getting sore thumbs and bleeding gums trying to separate bricks because you don't have one of those natty little tools (this is from my childhood, probably rarer now)

Oozer3993

I ignored Shuttle Expedition when it was in print, and am now kicking myself for that. I want it so bad. That is my penance.

You and me both. Especially now that it's roughly the same scale as the Saturn V.

And as always... mix the bags.

737269.gif

Servbot24

Banned
I had to cancel a summer vacation plan for non-financial reasons, but now with that money not going to that maybe I'll buy this set as a treat :eek:

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Forgot to cross post from the LEGO thread, but here's the completed Saturn V next to the Shuttle and Curiosity Rover

zxEzJ8b.jpg

And it's accurate...

iPVHCzn.png

Bags now come labeled with numbers for the larger sets and the instructions take you through by bags.

I always mix though.

This is a travesty. That's not how legos are meant to be put together!

I haven't touched a lego set in a decade and a half. But I want this Saturn V pretty bad.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I don't think my coffee table is big enough to spread out 2,000~ pieces at once. I also like that the labeled bags let you build in stages without having to clean up your mess if you don't finish the set in one sitting.

Really, people, get ready on the night of the 31st/morning June 1st. Order this massive, magnificent beast.
It is a treat of awesome building techniques for those with lots of LEGO experience, but I can't imagine how mind breaking it would be for people that aren't deep into LEGO building. It is using very common parts through the whole build, but doing so in such an awesome way that I can't even begin to understand the logistics of planning a build like this.

Just wonderful.

Erheller

Really, people, get ready on the night of the 31st/morning June 1st. Order this massive, magnificent beast.
It is a treat of awesome building techniques for those with lots of LEGO experience, but I can't imagine how mind breaking it would be for people that aren't deep into LEGO building. It is using very common parts through the whole build, but doing so in such an awesome way that I can't even begin to understand the logistics of planning a build like this.

Just wonderful.

As someone who has never looked at any of the large sets, what are some of those awesome building techniques?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Just wonderful.

I'm sure it will be quite the experience for us lapsed Lego folks. Especially since I didn't really even get any "big" sets back then, we couldn't afford those. And even then sets have gotten a lot more complex now than they were 15 years ago or however long.

Mine arrived today but I'm not going to mess with it until my day off.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
What's the best way to approach a build like this with two people? At first I was thinking we could each tackle a separate stage, but seems like we may miss some cool building techniques

As someone who has never looked at any of the large sets, what are some of those awesome building techniques?

SNOT, or Studs Not On Top, techniques are extremely common in sets nowadays. Many of those SNOT pieces were in use back in the 80s, but not used in any of the ways they are used today.

Just look at that. I would say about 90% of the bricks used in that I had in some fashion almost 30 years ago. It is the fashion in which they are attached that makes it so cool. The best builds are ones that make you rethink the way you have been using bricks for years/decades.
While this doesn't have something as mind blowing as the water tower on Detective's Office (the less you know about that, the better. Just build the set and get to that point), the angles and almost cheating you use with hollow studs in this set to pull off the cylindrical shape is fantastic.

Erheller

SNOT, or Studs Not On Top, techniques are extremely common in sets nowadays. Many of those SNOT pieces were in use back in the 80s, but not used in any of the ways they are used today.

Just look at that. I would say about 90% of the bricks used in that I had in some fashion almost 30 years ago. It is the fashion in which they are attached that makes it so cool. The best builds are ones that make you rethink the way you have been using bricks for years/decades.
While this doesn't have something as mind blowing as the water tower on Detective's Office (the less you know about that, the better. Just build the set and get to that point), the angles and almost cheating you use with hollow studs in this set to pull off the cylindrical shape is fantastic.

Dang, that looks really cool. If only I had the money to spend...

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
I preordered from amazon Japan.

The sad part is that I won't get to build it until I move into my new apartment next year. Going to look for a nice display cabinet for it in the meantime.

hirokazu

Yeah, I think that's the beauty of the modern sets, particularly the large ones, an emphasis on using existing pieces whereever possible in interesting ways rather than opting for custom pieces for a particular set.

Megasoum

Banned
You can order the correct colour pieces from Bricklink and fix this you know!

Actually... Yeah if someone could point me in the right direction I might just do that....

Never bought custom pieces before

Also I guess I would need to know how many I need for the set.

Edit: actually I can just buy a bunch of them on the shop Lego store at the same time I buy the set.

Megasoum

Banned
Could anybody who has the kit already tell us how many blue studs we would need if we want to only keep the red pieces for the first stage?

Thanks!

The official LEGO online shop is selling them for 8 cents a piece so I'll just grab 10 of them with my order when I get the kit.

And you will get those pieces about a month later too. The pick a brick orders come direct from Denmark usually, and take a long time to show. Just keep that under consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom