• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego 21309: NASA Apollo Saturn V

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
For anyone that wants to be super detailed.

Stage 2 uses 5, clear, 1x1 tiles with stud.
VAj6VXT.jpg

Stage 3 uses 1, clear 1x1 flat tile
TaqQYhY.jpg

Blue title with stud - 3005743

Blue Tile flat - 4646861

Total Lego Shop order: $0.36
With shipping. - $5.31

But, my Saturn V will be accurate!

Or just add the $10 Iron Man set, get free shipping with the Saturn V, and get a bunch of other parts to use later and two mini figures. Either way.

Or, just dig in your collection if you have one and get the parts.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Come on bloody UK, Someone must sell early. Might randomly try my local department store at the weekend as they have ideas and big sets like tower bridge. I'm already checking eBay every time inseenthisnthread getting bumped..

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Or just add the $10 Iron Man set, get free shipping with the Saturn V, and get a bunch of other parts to use later and two mini figures. Either way.

Or, just dig in your collection if you have one and get the parts.

Which iron man set?

Pretty sure I'd have those studs but the round tile is less likely. I could probably live with a stud for stage 3 though

Haven't played wth lego since I was a kid, but this looks really awesome.
How long do such sets normally stay in production? If it's a limited run, I can imagine it will very quickly become expensive.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
John Lewis in the UK has stock now for Saturday collection or delivery (have to pay extra for Saturday delivery, but in store collection and '5 day' delivery is free)

Oozer3993

Got mine yesterday and have started the build. The first stage took over 3 hours. Which is awesome. Just in that stage alone there are a ton of neat build tricks. I've finished the internal structure of the second stage. I'm gonna try to finish the whole thing during the Cavs game tonight. The build should ease my inevitable sports-related nerves.

Also, you're all about to make me buy that Iron Man set for the blue studs. It is in stock at the local Target...

What's the best way to approach a build like this with two people? At first I was thinking we could each tackle a separate stage, but seems like we may miss some cool building techniques

I'm finishing up the second stage now and it's very different from the first stage, build wise, so if you split up the stages you'll miss some cool techniques. There is quite a bit of repetition during the build, though. Quite a few things that you'll need to do 2 or 4 times, so you could split that stuff up.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Built this yesterday and it was a lot of fun. Hardest part is probably going to be not buying any more.

Already ideas going through my head for building a launch platform for it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wait, does the command module separate from the service module to create that splashdown piece? And it all fits in the third stage of the Saturn?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Wait, does the command module separate from the service module to create that splashdown piece? And it all fits in the third stage of the Saturn?

There are two command module pieces.

One is a plain white one that goes on the completed rocket. It can come off, but it's not really meant to as the escape tower does not easily detach.

The other is a grey one with capsule markings, emulating the darkened look of the capsule after reentry.

Crispy75

There are two command module pieces.

One is a plain white one that goes on the completed rocket. It can come off, but it's not really meant to as the escape tower does not easily detach.

The other is a grey one with capsule markings, emulating the darkened look of the capsule after reentry.

Actually, it's because the capsule on the rocket was covered by an aerodynamic/protective shroud, which was part of (and jettisoned along with) the escape tower.

Lombax

Banned
What would be the best way to go about getting one of these?

Lego store online or go to a physical store on Thursday?

I'd very much like to build this kit with my daughter during summer vacation.

mclem

What would be the best way to go about getting one of these?

Lego store online or go to a physical store on Thursday?

I'd very much like to build this kit with my daughter during summer vacation.

When you say 'physical store', do you mean a general physical store, or a Lego store specifically? I don't think general physical stores have been following the same street date limits, and I wouldn't expect distribution to be that widespread (and indications suggest that this is going to be a popular product). I don't know if physical Lego Stores *are* holding out for the formal launch date, but if they are, you should have a decent shot there.

However, Online should be easier still, and may go live on midnight; indeed, I suspect you'd be able to attempt to get it online on Wednesday night, and if you're unsuccessful, look into a physical store on Thursday.

Lombax

Banned
When you say 'physical store', do you mean a general physical store, or a Lego store specifically? I don't think general physical stores have been following the same street date limits, and I wouldn't expect distribution to be that widespread (and indications suggest that this is going to be a popular product). I don't know if physical Lego Stores *are* holding out for the formal launch date, but if they are, you should have a decent shot there.

However, Online should be easier still, and may go live on midnight; indeed, I suspect you'd be able to attempt to get it online on Wednesday night, and if you're unsuccessful, look into a physical store on Thursday.

Aye sorry I should have been more specific. A physical lego store. I'll try online first. Thank you.

elfinke

Meanwhile in Australia

oiqYbxZ.jpg

cookie_monster_waiting.gif

Yes, I'll be sitting up to midnight tonight only to be disappointed when it doesn't go live (like the Porsche).

elfinke

Do we know what time these things generally go up on the date they say?

I couldn't say with any certainty, all I know is I was up for the Porsche launch and it didn't go live during the evening (I was up til 1am, studying...) But I'll be up again tonight and trying my luck, just in case (not that I expect Lego AU to sell out that quickly).

seb

Banned
Wohooo, thanks, pre-ordered. GAF never fails with these sort of things :)

4 to 6 days here. Lego <3 France!

drowsy

Well, I just spent 140 euros on a LEGO set. I guess I'm one of those adults now. At least it's not anime.

But seriously, I can't wait for the set to arrive. Watching E3 press conferences and building my very own Saturn V sounds fun.

DEO3

So is this supposed to hit store shelves tomorrow? Like, I should be able to just walk into a local retailer and pick it up?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So is this supposed to hit store shelves tomorrow? Like, I should be able to just walk into a local retailer and pick it up?

A LEGO store yes, but most other retailers do not carry the LEGO Idea line in stores (sometimes on their website). Barnes and Noble and Toys R Us might carry them in stores.

raindoc

Aaaand instantly sold out. :(

kblNr4j.jpg

same in austria. and half an hour after ordering i got an email saying it ain't on stock atm and shipment will be delayed - i hope it's only referring to the june 7th date.
still, i'm a little bit pissed. couldn't preorder yesterday, on the 30th may, because of the june 1st release date - now it's out of stock on the 31st. wtf?

Megasoum

Banned
No idea if it's anywhere at retail in Canada...

I'll be standing by the official LEGO shop website at midnight tonight. Hopefully I'll get it tonight and the shipping doesn't take too long. I have the E3 Week off from work so I'd love to build it while watching the conferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom