• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO City Undercover - why I look forward to Nintendo's collaborations on the WiiU

CoolS

...about what I expected. I like the Lego games but they're incredibly repetitive, shallow, and super easy. Lego City Undercover is most likely getting praised here because it's exclusive to a single platform. If it was multi the tune would be different.

I was waiting for somebody to say this. I also like the Lego games and played tons of them before this one. And yes they are easy and repetitive.

Nevertheless, this is better than any of the previous ones by a mile. Not being "held back" by a licence works wonders for the game imo. And of course the tone would be different if it was multi because more people would actually play this.
Right now it just makes me sad to think we might never get a sequel :/

Yes Boss!

Really, really enjoyed this game. I'll be honest, I only bought it because Nintendo published it but I'm excited to see them hook up with more western developers.

Broach

Banned
Generally speaking, I gather it's a well-known fact that teams collaborating with Nintendo usually take advantage from their supervision/quality control; for instance, without having to go too far back in time, in recent years Retro have showed to be a very talented studio, but I am not sure whether Metroid prime or Donkey Kong country would be as much good without Nintendo's support, and the same may be also true for Monolith.

Sometimes.

Mario&Sonic was supposed to be under supervision of Miyamoto too...didn't make it better

There's post history and then there's just being plain wrong.

I just assume he's incredibly misinformed. But I can educate!

A video of "The Fold" just tooling about in the huge city
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id5b--hH0Ec

Just watched the video and the world feels SOOOO empty. This isn't exclusive to Lego City but common in most open world games up to this point. Though my hope is with better and more capable hardware on the PS4/Durango that the worlds going forward will be more fleshly built out and occupied. Hopefully Wii U open world games get the same treatment.

wsippel

Banned
No it isn't, Nintendo owns it outright. It's like any other contracted game they've done before (Sin & Punishment, The Last Story, etc).
Well, it's still a collaboration. Work for hire is when Grezzo did OoT3D, or whenever Nintendo outsources shit to Tose and such. Also, whenever Nintendo does a collaboration, it appears to be joint ownership: "(c) Nintendo/ Platinum", "(c) Nintendo/ Mistwalker", "(c) Nintendo/ Treasure" is what it usually says on websites, title screens and boxarts.

I beat the game a few days ago and I loved it. There are a lot of extra little Nintendo nods throughout the whole thing that liked. The writing was great, and I'm afraid that Lego games are going to have to live up to a whole new standard.

hawk2025

Just watched the video and the world feels SOOOO empty. This isn't exclusive to Lego City but common in most open world games up to this point. Though my hope is with better and more capable hardware on the PS4/Durango that the worlds going forward will be more fleshly built out and occupied. Hopefully Wii U open world games get the same treatment.

Havent seen the video, but based on the full game, the game's open world is the most densely packed I've played after Arkham City.

Edit: ok, I just scrolled through the video a bit, and are you kidding me? Look at e part where he get s the helicopter? ALL thise areas with blue and whit ledges? That's ALL reachable in game and fully explorable. There was stuff everywhere!

Well, it's still a collaboration. Work for hire is when Grezzo did OoT3D, or whenever Nintendo outsources shit to Tose and such. Also, whenever Nintendo does a collaboration, it appears to be joint ownership: "(c) Nintendo/ Platinum", "(c) Nintendo/ Mistwalker", "(c) Nintendo/ Treasure" is what it usually says on websites, title screens and boxarts.
It's not joint ownership, since the early 2000s Nintendo's been pretty careful to explicity retain all copyrights to game characters, story, design and code for all these games, and it usually states as much in the end credits. Camelot for example has the same amount of ownership in Golden Sun as they do Mario Golf: nothing.

Actually though, one of the few unique cases of joint ownership recently happens to be with Tose (for the Starfy games).

Bowler

I'm at target right now with this game and monster hunter... But is Lego really just 1 player? Dafuq? Can't be true.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
I have yet to play Lego City as I am waiting for a price drop. I'm not the biggest fan of lego games, though they are fun to just romp around in. I do really wish there was multiplayer...

However, I can tell through videos that this is a big step up from previous lego games in as far as design and execution goes (basing off the Star Wars, Harry Potter, and LotR lego games I played with my cousins). I am very much looking forward to future colabs. :)

CLEEK

City Undercover is by far the best Lego game ever made. Publications like EDGE are so fucking jaded.

The tone of the Edge review made it pretty clear that the reviewer disliked Lego City due to it being a GTA-lite. And, you know, Lego being for kids.

For the former reason, the fact it is a GTA-lite is why it's so great. It's cut out all the filler/fluff from GTA and just focuses on exploring (and destruction) to get bricks and studs, as well as finding new disguises. In a beautiful world, big enough to see you spending hours and hours exploring each area.

For the latter, the idea that you ever grow out of Lego (or even, the humour of the Lego games) is utterly wrong. And the humour in this game is really something. Honestly, it's the first game that has had me giggling from the start 'compupers!'.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Gotta say I wasn't overly enamoured with the writing either. It was just pitched way too low for me, proper kids stuff. That's fine though, that's the demographic they're aiming for.

It really can. It plays just like any other LEGO game, just with a larger 'hub world' and an original story.

This. It literally feels like you would expect a license lego GTA game to be. Same disguise/character switching, same areas you can only get to when you are a certain character with specific tools, same multiple collectathons, basically the same scoring mechanism etc etc

It's still fun. I only miss coop, have a blast playing the other lego games coop with my kids.

Septimius

Lego City is a bit like watching an episode of Seinfeld.

So many smart jokes and puns

Really? I mean, I was watching the latest episodes of Archer, and they had jokes about non-diegetic sounds and a reference to Earl Butz while talking about corn subsidiaries. Yes, LEGO has some "haah"-type pop-cultural references, and some other witty things, but most of the time, it's quite some distance short of smart.

I don't know. LEGO didn't hit me the way I thought it would. There's something about the world that feels empty, I don't know what it is. Something about the atmosphere. I got bored waiting for the last few costumes, before there was any need to start trying to do collectable-gathering in the open world. Half the time I just run into something I can't do yet, and I got really bored seeing it everywhere. I almost wish I could just restart the game with all power-ups, so I don't have to do EVERY single mission twice. It just feels so bothersome seeing something you know you should return to in 20 hours. And it's not like the combat can get any easier with all power-ups. Shooting things in combat is utterly useless anyway. Especially seeing how stunning someone means you can't hit and/or capture them.

cluderi

I had a lot of fun with this game and I'm still going back to it to replay the missions and fool around in the city now I've completed the story.

I think some people (and gaming sites) were always going dislike it no matter what it was.

I enjoy this game when i play it.. My son enjoys watching and playing as well.

I'm only 4% complete it.. i'm on the mine part.. but i've spent many hours just exploring and such.

Overall it's a game i'll beat sometime.. it's worth playing :)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I finally bought it yesterday and enjoyed my rough 2hrs with it. The driving controls take a while to get the hang of, but there seems to be shit to do every time I hop out of a vehicle.

Top Bottom