• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO City Undercover - why I look forward to Nintendo's collaborations on the WiiU

CoolS

As people might be aware, LEGO City Undercover released last month on the WiiU, after being announced at E3 2011 for the WiiU. The game sits at a score of 80 on metacritic.

In the beginning, me and many others saw it as just another Lego game and I'm sure many people on GAF still think so. However, if you have been following the official thread, you know that almost everyone who has been playing the game really loves it, especially for its funny writing and the fact that the city is filled to the brim with stuff to do. I almost never get from point A to B without being sidetracked for hours at times. Just exploring the city because something caught my eye while I was driving through the city is just so fun in this game.
In fact, some people in the OT have been saying that the game feels like a Nintendo game in many aspects.

Thanks to Aquamarine we know why people feel like this. Nintendo was heavily involved in the creation of the game, helping TT Fusion in many ways. I'll quote Aquamarines post here which shows Nintendos involvement from the credits of Lego City Undercover:

Nintendo's involvement in LEGO City Undercover, transcribed from my North American disc:

LEGO® CITY UNDERCOVER

PUBLISHED BY NINTENDO

PRODUCER
MASAKAZU MIYAZAKI

CO-PRODUCER
AZUSA TAJIMA

PROJECT COORDINATOR
TODD BUECHELE

PRODUCT MARKETING
CHIP CHAPMAN
JC RODRIGO

NOA DESIGN
MARK GOETZ

MARKETING SUPPORT
TIM BECHTEL
TODD BUECHELE
CHIP CHAPMAN
JC RODRIGO
ANDY ESTES
BEN NILES
JAMES KOLDEN

LOCALIZATION

NOA LOCALIZATION
REIKO NINOMIYA
DAN OWSEN
CÉSAR PÉREZ
HÉLÈNE BISSON-PELLAND
LAURENCE MILLERIOUX-TANEN

NOE LOCALISATION
ANDY FEY
ANDREA SALVI
MIHAI BARBULESCU
MARCO GUASCO
DANIEL IDOINE-SHIRAI
SARAH RUTHERFORD-BRYANT
GURVAN LE GUEN
PIERRE-GUILLAUME MABBOUX
MARCO MORBIN
SASCHA WEINARD
DANIEL PESTKA
ELIZABETH SÁNCHEZ LEÓN
MOOS BOULOGNE
MARC AMBLER
DMITRII KALOEV
TATJANA GOREVA
ANA REIS
SILVIA MIRA
TÂNIA RODRIGUES

QUALITY ASSURANCE

NOA PRODUCT TESTING
MASAYASU NAKATA
ERIC BUSH
TOM HERTZOG
JIM HOLDEMAN
BRIAN CARLSON
JEFFREY STORBO
TERESA LILLYGREN
JOSHUA NEWMAN

NOE QUALITY ASSURANCE
ÁNGEL MORENO
WOLFGANG WEBER
FRANCESCA VARGIU
GUILLAUME DESCHAMPS
LUCA KELLER
JONATHAN NEHRKE
ANDREW HALL

BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT

NINTENDO OF AMERICA
MIKE FUKUDA
TOM PRATA
TIM BECHTEL

NINTENDO OF EUROPE
TAKAO YAMANE
TIM SYMONS

SPECIAL THANKS
KENSUKE TANABE
KEISUKE TERASAKI
KAZUYUKI GOFUKU
KIYOHIKO ANDO
KOJI KONDO
TSUYOSHI WATANABE
SOTA KAGINO
TORU INAGE
TOMOHIRO UMEDA
ARIKO KIMOTO
JAMES HELSSEN
JILL WHITNEY
NOA PRODUCT TESTING TECHNICIANS

GENERAL PRODUCER
SHINYA TAKAHASHI

EXECUTIVE PRODUCER
SATORU IWATA

Nintendo also bankrolled all of the non-English localized voices for the game by contracting it out to SIDE London. Nintendo had previously worked with SIDE London on The Last Story, Xenoblade Chronicles, Kirby's Epic Yarn, etc.

Go here for more information:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=51707784&postcount=2205
[...]

It is just my personal opinion, but I really think that Lego City Undercover is the best Lego game TT Games have done so far. It has it flaws, mainly the loading times which can be bad at times, the typical Lego handholding and some spots where the framerate doesn't stay at 30 fps, but overall it is and amazing experience. And I am convinced that Nintendos involvement played a huge part in the overall quality of the game.

Which is why I will be looking forward to Nintendo's future collaborations with third party developers on the WiiU. I know that right know the third party situation for the WiiU doesn't really look that hot, but as long as Nintendo can secure awesome exclusives like this one through collaborations with other developers, like they seem to be doing (SMTxFE being a good example), I am sure the future will have some great titles in store for the console.

LuchaShaq

Banned
After seeing it's not a real open world Lego city undercover is nothing more than a bait and switch/gigantic bummer to me.

Futureman

Honestly, yes, it's a great idea to partner like this. They should have had 3-4 games in the launch window that followed the same strategy. Hopefully there are more in the works.

wsippel

Banned
Honestly, yes, it's a great idea to partner like this. They should have had 3-4 games in the launch window that followed the same strategy. Hopefully there are more in the works.
There are supposedly many more such collaborations in the works, but it's important to understand that Nintendo doesn't hesitate to push games back until they're happy with them. Lego City Undercover was the biggest Lego game ever, with the longest development cycle in franchise history as far as I know. That's just how Nintendo does things, and it's probably the main reason for the quality they manage to put out, but at the same time, it makes planning and timing releases nearly impossible.

Generally speaking, I gather it's a well-known fact that teams collaborating with Nintendo usually take advantage from their supervision/quality control; for instance, without having to go too far back in time, in recent years Retro have showed to be a very talented studio, but I am not sure whether Metroid prime or Donkey Kong country would be as much good without Nintendo's support, and the same may be also true for Monolith.

Bert

Game is fun. Far too easy and handholdy though so its never a challenge.

It is the first game ever that I've watched every cut scene in though.

pixlexic

Banned
Generally speaking, I gather it's a well-known fact that teams collaborating with Nintendo usually take advantage from their supervision/quality control; for instance, without having to go too far back in time, in recent years Retro have showed to be a very talented studio, but I am not sure whether Metroid prime or Donkey Kong country would be as much good without Nintendo's support, and the same may be also true for Monolith.

This is kinda of proven with every dev that has worked with nintendo and then made a games without them.

Manmedaz

You know something we don't? Please share your information :)

I'll just tell you not to get your hopes too high on that version. Don't know how specific I can be, but Lego Wii U feels much more polished in many aspect (almost all).

BTW, previews should be allowed since last Thursday.

Effect

You can easily see this with Next Level Games when you compare their Nintendo and non-Nintendo games.

Edit:

I agree, though those two developers are first or second parties, while TT Games normally doesn't have anything to do with Nintendo.

Retro Studios and Monolith Soft are both first party studios. 100% Nintendo.

CoolS

I agree, though those two developers are first or second parties, while TT Games normally doesn't have anything to do with Nintendo.

After seeing it's not a real open world Lego city undercover is nothing more than a bait and switch/gigantic bummer to me.

I've never liked lego games, but do love a good open world game, do you think I'll like this one? How far into it did you get before it bummed you out?

SmokyDave

You're going to get jumped on for this, but I think I know what you mean. The helicopters have a really low ceiling and you can't really 'traverse' the city as you might expect to be able to because there are invisible walls in odd places, especially in the sky.

I wouldn't call it a bummer because it only really affects me when I'm dossing about, but I did think 'huh, surely they could've avoided that' when I ran into restrictions.

plufim

It's not just innacurate it's just.... what the heck game was that person even playing?

Lego City is an open world with about 15 seperate mission levels as well.

Of course, LuchaShaq isn't going to come back here anyway.

I've never liked lego games, but do love a good open world game, do you think I'll like this one? How far into it did you get before it bummed you out?

I highly recommend you ask this question in the official thread.

On-topic, I look forward to more Nintendo collaborations. I'm anxiously awaiting more news on W101 and Bayonetta 2.

BlazinAm

See it getting covered on Giant Bomb gave me enough ammo not to care about this product although the concept sounds amazing.

W101 isn't really a collab, it's a regular work-for-hire thing. Nintendo's always done those dating back to the Famicom.

The 3rd party collabs we know about on Wii U so far are Lego City: Undercover (WB/TT Fusion), Bayonetta 2 (Sega/Platinum) and Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem (Atlus).

Reallink

No. This game was awful IMO, worst I've played in years. The disguise system was way overused and shallow as a puddle. Literally every single "puzzle" and progress impediment was wholly based on this mechanic. It was offensively repetitive and horribly unimaginative at every single leg. The entire ~15 hour core game (which was way too long for a game of this quality, felt like nothing but padding and filler) stands as a poster child for bad copy-pasta-cookie-cutter design. All the cars controlled awkwardly (be it a poor physics system or poor analog sensitivity/deadzone design), none of the side content was worth so much as a second glance, and the story/writing weren't even up to bad TV cartoon quality. And the load times, my God the load times.

wsippel

Banned
W101 isn't really a collab, it's a regular work-for-hire thing. Nintendo's always done those dating back to the Famicom.

The 3rd party collabs we know about on Wii U so far are Lego City: Undercover (WB/TT Fusion), Bayonetta 2 (Sega/Platinum) and Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem (Atlus).
Nah, W101 is almost certainly exactly the same as those other games you mentioned.

CoolS

No. This game was awful IMO, worst I've played in years. The disguise system was way overused and shallow as a puddle. Literally every single "puzzle" and progress impediment was wholly based on this mechanic. It was offensively repetitive and horribly unimaginative at every single leg. The entire ~15 hour core game (which was way too long for a game of this quality, felt like nothing but padding and filler) stands as a poster child for bad copy-pasta-cookie-cutter design. All the vehicles controlled awkwardly (be it a poor physics system or poor analog sensitivity/deadzone design), none of the side content was worth so much as a second glance, and the story/writing weren't even up to bad TV cartoon quality. And the load times, my God the load times.

I was going to take you seriously untill that point. Sorry.

No. This game was awful IMO, worst I've played in years. The disguise system was way overused and shallow as a puddle. Literally every single "puzzle" and progress impediment was wholly based on this mechanic. It was offensively repetitive and horribly unimaginative at every single leg. The entire ~15 hour core game (which was way too long for a game of this quality, felt like nothing but padding and filler) stands as a poster child for bad copy-pasta-cookie-cutter design. All the cars controlled awkwardly (be it a poor physics system or poor analog sensitivity/deadzone design), none of the side content was worth so much as a second glance, and the story/writing weren't even up to bad TV cartoon quality. And the load times, my God the load times.
...about what I expected. I like the Lego games but they're incredibly repetitive, shallow, and super easy. Lego City Undercover is most likely getting praised here because it's exclusive to a single platform. If it was multi the tune would be different.

Reallink

I was going to take you seriously untill that point. Sorry.

Sorry, but it really wasn't. The continuing story arc felt like meandering drivel made up to explain missions and new locations, and most of the references either weren't funny or have been done a million times.

...about what I expected. I like the Lego games but they're incredibly repetitive, shallow, and super easy. Lego City Undercover is most likely getting praised here because it's exclusive to a single platform. If it was multi the tune would be different.

It really can't be compared to any other LEGO game though.

hawk2025

This is the laziest statement ever. Do you have evidence of this? Have you played the game? What exactly is your criticism? I own all systems and a PC, and yet I think this is a fantastic game.

SmokyDave

Gotta say I wasn't overly enamoured with the writing either. It was just pitched way too low for me, proper kids stuff. That's fine though, that's the demographic they're aiming for.

It really can't be compared to any other LEGO game though.
It really can. It plays just like any other LEGO game, just with a larger 'hub world' and an original story.

Top Bottom