• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

I put in my support. Good job with the presentation.

LEGO tweeted a new LEGO Batman picture. 1966 Batmobile incoming?

BlWVc_ICQAAkv6h.png

I would buy a 1966 Lego Batmobile in a heart beat. One of the first things I remember trying to build as a kid was that Batmobile.

I hope for every future Lego Batman appearance they have him voiced by Will Arnett. He's too perfect, I even read that poster in his voice in my head.

Went by TRU and Target near home while I was out. No Simpsons figures anywhere. Guy at TRU had no clue they were making Simpsons LEGO, but said they get a shipment of stuff tomorrow so it might be on there.

Went by TRU and Target near home while I was out. No Simpsons figures anywhere. Guy at TRU had no clue they were making Simpsons LEGO, but said they get a shipment of stuff tomorrow so it might be on there.
A toys r us near me confirmed that they have them but won't sell until May 1st.

neonglow

I can get 2 Dino sets 5886 and 5887 for $150 from craigslist. Any thoughts?

That's less than retail price for both considering what they go on for on eBay now. However do you need 2 T-Rexes? I'd probably just get the Dino HQ. The helicopter is making a return in the upcoming City Arctic set.

wetwired

Not sure if this has been posted yet- just showed up on one of my feeds:

First Legoland Park opens in Billund 1968
Old archive footage of the first Legoland's opening. Lots and lots of primary-coloured bricks. Simpler times!

Kinda quaint what fun parks were like back then, the start was funny where they were all sitting at tables building lego and looking at designs on an easel outside in the middle of a construction area haha.

Interesting how they just let people wander amongst the buildings back, but they could do a lot still with the creations even though they didn't have the variety of pieces we have now.

The batman picture makes me want to buy all the batman vehicles. I have the bat wing and the most recent bat mobile. I know I shouldn't cause I don't think any of them look that great. The collecter in me is very loud though haha

Finally built the black Mixels I bought the other week. Definitely the weakest of the line. I think the red ones might be he best. The yellow ones were more fun for Mocs , but the red ones had the best regular models.

And probably this weekend I will cobble together a Mixels contest.

Put together the Renegade set...one of the most unique spaceships Lego has ever come up with. I remember seeing pictures of it and thinking how off it looked but now that I have it, I think it's kinda cool looking...tempted to dig out my Invader set and put it together so I can interchange parts of the two ships.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well called a few TRUs in the area hoping I can zoom up to one at opening tomorrow

All either said they do not have Simpsons figs or that they DO but won't sell them till the first.

So, they are cracking down.

If you managed to get any already, or manage to get a store to sell you any before the 1st... consider yourself fortunate

Really irritates me when they KNOW they are in stock but won't sell them... why? Because I can pretty much guarantee you some employee will flub up and sell to someone anyway between now and then. Already went through this a few times :p

As well, made it to the LEGO shop today. Prices were what I thought they should be. I bought Cloud Cuckoo Land for $21 instead of the $26 I would in Canada. The best part is, the gal helping me pulled two Mini VW polybags out of the back and sold them to me for 3 bucks each. They go for $50 on Amazon.ca. super pleased about that.
I finally picked up a VW polybag although it took a couple tries. The first worker told me no but I could buy them on ebay. I thought the way she said it sounded suspicious so I asked another worker and she went to get me one.

It's not going on ebay, although I know I could make a good profit. I've never resold and don't foresee ever doing so.

I finally picked up a VW polybag although it took a couple tries. The first worker told me no but I could buy them on ebay. I thought the way she said it sounded suspicious so I asked another worker and she went to get me one.

It's not going on ebay, although I know I could make a good profit. I've never resold and don't foresee ever doing so.

Good stuff. The girl helping me did say that they don't usually pull them out but she likes to do it for knowledgeable customers and more likely customers from far away. So yay me. Ended up going back another day to pick up three Creator Emerald Express trains since again we don't have them here at the Calgary location.

I won't be selling mine either, though I was tempted to grab one more for that purpose. Someone else may as well enjoy it. I'm glad you were able to get one.

Ironmask

Finally built the black Mixels I bought the other week. Definitely the weakest of the line. I think the red ones might be he best. The yellow ones were more fun for Mocs , but the red ones had the best regular models.

And probably this weekend I will cobble together a Mixels contest.

Yesssssssss

rallaren

Puft Man looks very good, wetwired.

I am done with Portal of Atlantis:

U2YPJQv.jpg

An ok set. Got it for the jaws and the portal itself. It has also some details in the back/inside. It has a decent play size and minifigs but since I don't play I wish it had some more features and details... like a thicker portal so there's less space and not just a chest behind it (or is it supposed to lead to the "real" Atlantis set at the bottom?). Building started with the good middle section and ended with the two boring mirrored sections on the sides - lame (could have been easily avoided by starting from the back.). It's from 2010 so it was expected. Overall a pretty awesome theme (has nothing on the classic ones sadly) and reminded me about WoW. For next underwater theme I hope they make a huge whale (I was inspired by the Malevolence set on the top)...

wetwired

Ok, finished the keymaster

thumb640x360.jpg

I was gonna do the colander thing on his head instead of hair but it makes him harder to see and I had no idea how to do all the coils and shit.

Well, the dad (myself) compensates for growing up in Soviet Union with no LEGO :)

You are one hell of a dad! How old is your son? It looks like he's staring at the bags and instruction booklets and harnessing his chi before taking the plunge. =) Do you ever build with him?

The Easter bunny is going to be bringing my 6yo daughter some Lego Disney sets from Target's sale a little while back.

Fxp

You are one hell of a dad! How old is your son? It looks like he's staring at the bags and instruction booklets and harnessing his chi before taking the plunge. =) Do you ever build with him?

The Easter bunny is going to be bringing my 6yo daughter some Lego Disney sets from Target's sale a little while back.

He's 6 years old, I bought his first set - 5766 Log Cabin when he was 3 years old. He's building everything - Creator, Modulars, PotC, even a few Technic sets.
Now that you asked, I get most of the fun by watching him build the sets alone, I do most of the building when he's in kindergarden.
I told him yesterday that I had a strange dream where Easter Bunny told me if he'll disassemble all the sets he has on his desk - Tie Fighter, Lighthouse Island and both PoTC ships, Bunny will send him a present - new LEGO set. So after it was done today, we went looking all over the flat and found Quinjet :)

So apparently there is a condition known as Radial Palsy. It essentially renders one hand completely numb and limp for anywhere from 5 days to a few months.

It happened to me in my sleep last night and my dominant hand is 100% useless. Tonight was going to be dedicated to building Cad Bane's speeder dammit!!!

So apparently there is a condition known as Radial Palsy. It essentially renders one hand completely numb and limp for anywhere from 5 days to a few months.

It happened to me in my sleep last night and my dominant hand is 100% useless. Tonight was going to be dedicated to building Cad Bane's speeder dammit!!!

Consider it a challenge. Some people build sets still in the plastic bag without opening it. I've seen photos of people building sets without seeing the parts. Just using feel.

It sucks, but you can develop some skillz. Make some lemonade.

neonglow

Why not making it an evening with your kids? Have them help you in the building process?

I told him yesterday that I had a strange dream where Easter Bunny told me if he'll disassemble all the sets he has on his desk - Tie Fighter, Lighthouse Island and both PoTC ships, Bunny will send him a present - new LEGO set. So after it was done today, we went looking all over the flat and found Quinjet :)
I think that if my parents had made me disassemble old sets in order to get new ones... I would have never gotten any new sets. ;___;

I found 2 at one store and a manager at another store searched other stores and found a location with 43. I bought some extras so that I can complete a set and trade. It was odd that stores weren't getting entire boxes but loose bags.

Rootbeer

Banned
I found 2 at one store and a manager at another store searched other stores and found a location with 43. I bought some extras so that I can complete a set and trade. It was odd that stores weren't getting entire boxes but loose bags.

awesome to know. do you have an item # for it? walgreens.com lets you search for items by the item # and you can do a "find in store" that way.

yeah not sure how walgreens does their stock, but I have seen entire boxes on shelves before. Seen Movie series at walgreens many times (though not lately :p)

ghostmind

I'm cheating a little bit, but since JANG has been posting Classic Space set videos all week, I'm going to highlight one from Thursday...

6952 Solar Power Transporter (1985)

http://youtu.be/nHvxyClI5PM

WovEA73.jpg

(Also I'm posting from a device I don't normally use for it, so if things look weird...)

Salamando

Damn, think I got incredibly lucky today. Found the TMNT: Turtle Sub Undersea Chase set on clearance at target for $30 (50% off). Actually scanned in that way. Couldn't believe I actually found a Lego set on decent clearance, let alone one so new.

wetwired

Already built, my daughter insisted on getting in on the photo action

newlego1.JPG

newlego2.JPG

The creator monkey has already been disassembled because she wanted to see the bear.

It is a great set with lots of useful pieces, ball joints and brown curved slopes which will come in handy. I think I'll pick up the cat and mouse one too eventually. The chima gorilla was good too for pieces.

Each of the sets I got was the last in stock, they were having 20% off.

neonglow

This shot makes the Marshmallow Man look even better. You get a good size comparison of it compared to other LEGO sets.

You should consider adding another CUUSOO photo of the model in a real life setting next to everyday objects so people can grasp the size of the thing.

*hyperventilates* Coworker just texted me that someone returned a Quinjet, and the sale price is $55. So I can grab it for less than $30. Today I had actually resigned myself to never finding one but the Lego gods have smiled upon me @_____@

alright people i need help getting to that 55 euro limit for the upcoming May the fourth SW Lego store day!!!

I don't wanna go big this time, else i'd just get Ewok Village and call it a day so i already got 2 Microfighters planned in which will get me up to 20 euros if i am not mistaken, then maybe that battlepack with those sexy Royal Guards but then i am STILL not over 55!!

Any other suggestions to get up there or other sets instead?

My Pet Shop review

With that, I'm done for now. Overall, this was a really cool build with tons of great details, but not the best modular. What's your list?

1) Green Grocer - as long as you don't look inside. The shop itself, everything on street level, the fire escape (probably the most ridiculously complex official Lego build ever), the roof terrace, the awesome turret, the roof lining. And it's huge.
2) Parisian Restaurant - the Return of Jamie. In many ways a refined Green Grocer, with ridiculous detail everywhere. Only loses points for being rather cramped.
3) Pet Shop - very cool build overall. The town house is great, with an awesome first floor and at least a fun idea on the second. The pet shop is as great as the Green Grocer store and the apartment looks really neat. Maybe a little lifeless overall.
4) Fire Brigade - awesome front, dat second floor. Around the sides and back it's very much boring stacking though.
(5) Cafe Corner - just from the look of it, a really cool exterior design. A bit too expensive and too big though.)
6) Grand Emporium - very imposing building, horribly boring to build and not much going on inside. A few creative ideas that flesh out the outside.
(7) Palace Cinema - looks like Grand Emporium 2.0, rather pretty exterior but boring interior.)
(8) Town Hall - big and rather plain. Some cool ideas inside but it's just not interesting to me.)
9) Market Street - as mentioned, it's very plain compared to the regular modulars. The architecture is rather nice and there are some cool techniques that takes it slightly above a modern Creator set in complexity.

Top Bottom