• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Merry Christmas Best Gaf.

ahzk1Q3l.jpg

My daughter decided that Star Wars people should be celebrating at her Christmas Village. Maul loves the carousel ride.

Ha, I wish. Putting this all together really makes me want to grab more of the Winter Village sets.

Exactly how I felt as I put it together a few months ago. Just waiting for the LEGO store to mark down the marketplace set soon before snagging that one. The new set next year I will probably buy on day one though.

Cfh123

I got my two 4 year olds as stocking stuffers two small lego kits. This is the first lego I have bought or had bought for me in about 30 years.

I must say I was quite impressed by the quality and level of detail. Lego has improved a lot in 30 years.

I also wanted to mention that I purchased the small Disney Ariel set for my wife for Christmas. She isn't the biggest LEGO fan, but upon opening that and learning of the other sets, especially the castle, she is much more keen than she's ever been!

ghostmind

S@H sale is live. Not much for NorthAm, but a few CITY sets (Garage, Clinic and Train Station), and the TMNT Baxter Robot Rampage.

Train Station does net you some straight track, so it may be worth it for $40.

Fowler

Got Council of Elrond and a gift card to a local LEGO store for Christmas. Really happy about Elrond: Wasn't a set I was looking to buy on my own, but I've just realised it's the perfect place to put the whole set of Fellowship minifigs.

So... what should I do with the gift card? The sets on my to-buy list are Orthanc, Red Five X-Wing and R2-D2. Thinking about Orthanc so I can finish off my LotR collection. Suggestions, LEGO-GAF?

mojiimbo

Saw this on Reddit...

2Osmsci.jpg

Is there an internal rule against printing trademarked(?) logos on bricks or is it just less cost effective?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Saw this on Reddit...

2Osmsci.jpg

Is there an internal rule against printing trademarked(?) logos on bricks or is it just less cost effective?

Seriously. They do a lot of one-off prints on minifigures, so why not Maersk prints on bricks :/

Rootbeer

Banned
Robot Rampage is a good set for that price. I already own all the TMNT sets though. Guess I'm good, was hoping we'd get a better sale than this.

Saw this on Reddit...

2Osmsci.jpg

Trademarked stuff has been printed on bricks before (in Star Wars I think), but it may be part of the license with Maersk that does not allow them to make printed pieces.
Damn shame too, because that volume of bricks needing stickers is ridiculous.

Rootbeer

Banned
Okay guys, any advice? I'm thinking about making a trip to the LEGO store today (first timer), but it's quite a trip. Do they keep pretty large amounts of stock? I'm paranoid that I'll go and they'll be cleared out from Christmas.

Also hoping to get some 2014 sets. NOT Ninjago though :p And Pick-A-Brick.

Okay guys, any advice? I'm thinking about making a trip to the LEGO store today, but it's quite a trip. Do they keep pretty large amounts of stock? I'm paranoid that I'll go and they'll be cleared out from Christmas.

Also hoping to get some 2014 sets. NOT Ninjago though :p

Wait to go on January 1st. That way they will have Parisian Restaurant and the Maersk Sticker Ship.

Good to see all the great Xmas LEGO presents posted.

Now for the hunt for clearance LEGO sets! I'll stop by a few places to see if anything is on clearance at the major stores. Keen on the LEGO store Winter Village markdown. Almost missed it last year as they go fast once discounted since inventory is usually very small.

I usually keep an eye on this forum for good sales.

http://toysnbricks.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=93

Will keep an eye on LEGOGAF for deals too.

Jimbro72

I only got one single set for xmas this year but it was the Red Five X-Wing set, so I'm totally cool with only getting the one set. I think that one might shoot up to the top of the backlog pile to be built sooner than later.

However, there were many duplo sets under the tree this year for my girls so they have now officially been started on the right path. They also got some mega bloks from their uncle. He is apparently unaware that we are a LEGO only household. I suppose I'll allow it as they're still a little too young to really know the difference.

ghostmind

I'm waiting until the 1st for my next visit to the LEGO store, and I plan on picking up the Parisian Restaurant, at least one LEGO Movie set, some Movie CMF bags, and if available a Star Wars Battle Pack or two.

Anyone else have LEGO store plans for the 1st, and if so what are your haul plans?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Saw this on Reddit...

2Osmsci.jpg

I'm glad LEGO did this. I might have had an inkling to buy the silly thing if they haven't. LEGO saved me money, and for that, I thank them.

EDIT: Wait, that's not even all of them, is it? Aren't there logo stickers on the side?

Rootbeer

Banned
Some great clearance items at Target today. Holiday polybags 30% off. Got hive crawler for $34 and anakin's Jedi interceptor for $31 before Target RED card discount

Also, android autocorrect is a dangerous thing.

I'm waiting until the 1st for my next visit to the LEGO store, and I plan on picking up the Parisian Restaurant, at least one LEGO Movie set, some Movie CMF bags, and if available a Star Wars Battle Pack or two.

Anyone else have LEGO store plans for the 1st, and if so what are your haul plans?

Parisian Restaurant is the only sure thing. After that, it depends on PAB wall contents and if Winter Village is discounted yet.

Rootbeer

Banned
As for LEGO store plans, mine mirror yours very closely, ghostmind. Parisian Restaurant (my FIRST modular building), movie stuff and pick a brick wall. Will also look for 2014 super heroes sets. Trying to set a budget of $300 for the haul but we'll see.

Ryuuroden

I plan on going and picking up Parisian Restaurant, check PAB for anything decent that I will put in that free box, movie cmf, and possibly 1 more large exclusive set up to 200 dollars in cost. I have to find out if I can ship that horizon express bundle that is online only to my sister or something. Lego won't deliver to my ups store box and I can't have it sent to my house because I am out of state for days at a time, hence the ups box.

Jimbro72

Not sure what, if anything, I'll get on the 1st though the Parisian set and the Mars Rover will be extremely tempting to get immediately. I did get $200 cash from the in-laws and have quite a bit of VIP pts saved up. Was saving those up along with my Discover cash rewards to put towards the Opera House soon, though. And still need Orthanc. Decisions, decisions. Anyone know when the next double VIP pts period is? Is it coming up or still months away?

Not sure what, if anything, I'll get on the 1st though the Parisian set and the Mars Rover will be extremely tempting to get immediately. I did get $200 cash from the in-laws and have quite a bit of VIP pts saved up. Was saving those up along with my Discover cash rewards to put towards the Opera House soon, though. And still need Orthanc. Decisions, decisions. Anyone know when the next double VIP pts period is? Is it coming up or still months away?

Double VIP is probably March. So I would put off Sydney Opera House until then. But get Orthanc soon since it is rumored to disappear. You have plenty of time on the Opera House.

And of course get Parisian Restaurant and Mars Rover immediately. :)

Jimbro72

Double VIP is probably March. So I would put off Sydney Opera House until then. But get Orthanc soon since it is rumored to disappear. You have plenty of time on the Opera House.

And of course get Parisian Restaurant and Mars Rover immediately. :)

Good call. I really should get Orthanc first as I do not want to miss out on that one. Maybe I'll get that and the Mars Rover on the 1st and save the Parisian Restaurant for the time being. I still have the Palace Cinema in my backlog. Should probably build that first before buying another modular.

ghostmind

Good call. I really should get Orthanc first as I do not want to miss out on that one. Maybe I'll get that and the Mars Rover on the 1st and save the Parisian Restaurant for the time being. I still have the Palace Cinema in my backlog. Should probably build that first before buying another modular.

If you go that route, build the Parisian Restaurant after you build the Palace Cinema, as I think the other way around will be a let down.

Jimbro72

If you go that route, build the Parisian Restaurant after you build the Palace Cinema, as I think the other way around will be a let down.

Yeah, I agree. I think the new one is going to be quite amazing to build and sounds like the Palace Cinema may not be one of the top mods to build so I'll definitely do in that order. Save the best for last.

ruxtpin

Banned
Visiting the g/fs family in PA this week and visited the King of Prussia Lego store. Snagged a couple of Bespin Series 2 planet sets that were marked down to 4 dollars a pop.

Rootbeer

Banned
Just remember to pay with cash at Target!

I've already changed all of my cards including my target RED card! plus I changed my pin numbers. but moving forward I will ONLY use my RED card at target, nothing else (except cash). it's easy cancel/change and can only be used at Target so it has some built-in safety.

My new cards are all chip & pin, but i had to specially request these. unfortunately i'm sure most merchants don't actually offer chip transactions yet -- even though i live in a major city. I am going to be on the lookout though, hopefully they start rolling out faster now that we've had some high-profile bullshit like at Target.

anyway, when i went to pay, i had my red card but it's deactivated while i wait for my new one to arrive. but they gave me the 5% discount anyway since i had it on me.

Hmm, was just looking up the Parisian Restaurant on brickset. I already have 3/4 of the pieces needed to build it without buying! My collection is growing rather fast! (still buying it though ;))

if any of you here aren't on brickset & rebrickable yet you should look into it.

mrkgoo

I didn't get any Lego for Christmas, but I did go through my childhood box of Lego.

I found my old classic space set - this white ship that breaks apart into three separate parts. The coolest thing was finding the three spacemen that came with it (two yellow and a red) that are totally mint because I never took them out of the cockpits. They're still stiff as of brand new.

Going to take that back with me and add to my mini fig collection.

Also found a pile of those old Lego figures with animal heads that were in between regular Lego and duplo. Look like animal crossing characters. My daughter will get a kick out of those.

Lego is so great.

Rootbeer

Banned
Nice... Everything in my LEGO collection was added as an adult. My childhood LEGO sets are long gone. I had maybe 8 or 10 sets total back then ... but a pretty nice brick collection. Some Space, some Pirates, and a Medieval set. And lots of generic.

In my teen years my sister used them for her babysitting gig. Yes, I spent many hours sitting with the kids and building LEGO with them (she kept all the money though :p)

A bit later, they were given away to a family friend.

Those bricks got a lot of value out of them. For all I know, they are still in use today. Just one of the many reasons LEGO is so great. They may not be cheap but they can potentially last generations.

Just got back from the LEGO store near my work. It was a madhouse. I'm used to going during lunch when nobody is around. Day after XMas and kids out of school = madhouse.

Winter Village set not even discounted. Was all out and one was returned and sold immediately according to the guy working there.

Target run was a bit better. Snagged a bunch of XMas stocking stuff polybags for 50% off. Got the XMas train and TMNT polybags. Shelves were picked over from XMas, but tons of Speedorz. I hope those reach the elusive 75% off eventually. Even at 50% off at the LEGO store since Black Friday, they have a ton left.

Looks like I'm picking up the Winter Village set first thing next season for full price. Clearance on those are getting tougher to find. Last year I got lucky and got a just returned Winter set.

I found my old classic space set - this white ship that breaks apart into three separate parts. The coolest thing was finding the three spacemen that came with it (two yellow and a red) that are totally mint because I never took them out of the cockpits. They're still stiff as of brand new.

Going to take that back with me and add to my mini fig collection.

Also found a pile of those old Lego figures with animal heads that were in between regular Lego and duplo. Look like animal crossing characters. My daughter will get a kick out of those.

Lego is so great.

Sweet on the mint classic space minifigs!

Those animal minifigs are from the Fabuland line. I don't have any of those, but I see them referenced all the time.

Doesn't look like a good year for clearances. Target I went to was had LEGO shelves nearly bare without any clearances. As new 2014 stuff comes in, maybe we'll see stuff on clearance. Definitely can see some of the Chima Speedorz eventually being marked down.

Thread regarding Walmart clearance:

"For what it is worth: I was told by a manager that there will be no lego markdowns because the stores did not reach their quotas, probably because of the short holiday season and bad weather."

http://toysnbricks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=9951

EDIT: Hit two Targets and shelves pretty cleared out. I won't hunt anymore unless I see some updates here on in other forums of good deals. In the meantime, I will stick with LEGO store for new LEGO The Movie CMFs and fill my Xmas PAB boxes.

Ryuuroden

Hmmm I'm glad I made the right guess at the beginning of the holidays not to expect discounts after Christmas. The deals early on were just better than usual and I actually had issues finding post Christmas deals last year. I also do not think we will be finding winter village sets after the holidays anymore either.

Top Bottom