• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still want a Lego set with the Ford from the first movie! I would buy that instantly.
I don't know why they wouldn't do sets from 1, both vehicles from 1 would do much better than World's "generic" vehicles

Jada is the only ones with the right idea
Die cast and RC versions. Hoping for the Explorer next.

So. I haven't done any Lego stuff since I was a kid. Today while wandering around Tesco I randomly decided to buy a couple of cheap sets. Ended up with two Lego movie packs. The double decker couch and a police car. Was very relaxing building them and very satisfying to finish.

I'm going back tomorrow to buy a small Minecraft set and I've got a space shuttle and tree house ordered from Amazon.

I think I might medically need one of these too
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H9Y22RE/

M2ySCz6.jpg

It's a disease

You've come to the wrong thread if you want to avoid this disease.

Try out some Mixels.

If you like Super Heroes, try out any of the 25 pounds and under sets. They are usually good values.

If you like cars, many of the Speed Champions sets are inexpensive and look great.

Keep checking this thread...something else will eventually catch your attention.

I tried replicating my youngest daughter's room over the past week. Some of you may be aware that I live a few minutes from an amazing after-market LEGO store; it turns out they also sell a ton of custom bricks & lighting accessories. This was the perfect opportunity to try out some of the lights.

It's nothing fancy, but the bed took several hours to get right. I expect she'll demolish it within moments (she's 4.5).

Edit: I had my second ever missing piece last night. Building the Republic AV-7 Anti-Vehicle Cannon, and it's missing....Plo Koon's head!. Arg.

looks great, love the lighting.... except, the walls aren't yellow in real are they?

On a sidenote: I just got back from a flea market where i bought a used Fast Flyers with box and instructions off some dude for 5 EURO!!!!! At first i thought of COURSE there will be missing pieces duh, but after just doing the piece count, only ONE grey technic joint is missing and i got tons of those lying around so, DEAL OF THE CENTURY right there :))))))

Can't wait to build this one as i missed it back then.

looks great, love the lighting.... except, the walls aren't yellow in real are they?

On a sidenote: I just got back from a flea market where i bought a used Fast Flyers with box and instructions off some dude for 5 EURO!!!!! At first i thought of COURSE there will be missing pieces duh, but after just doing the piece count, only ONE grey technic joint is missing and i got tons of those lying around so, DEAL OF THE CENTURY right there :))))))

Can't wait to build this one as i missed it back then.

That's a sweet deal!

And yes, the walls are actually super yellow. The lighting in the pictures is deceptive.

ruxtpin

Banned
Anyone recommend places to find cheap (and large) tubs for moving Lego? I need to get some large bins/tubs, plan on putting sets in bags and then layering them in the tubs for moving - haven't had a chance to look at any stores yet tho.

Anyone recommend places to find cheap (and large) tubs for moving Lego? I need to get some large bins/tubs, plan on putting sets in bags and then layering them in the tubs for moving - haven't had a chance to look at any stores yet tho.
Lowes or Home Depot. Just get some giant Rubbermaid tubs. One big enough to hold a body is like $12 or so.
Are you going to put sets in bags while assembled or disassembled ?

ruxtpin

Banned
I'm going to partially disassemble. Remove pieces that could easily snap. Over the next year I probably won't have much time to build or set anything up again.

I'm going to partially disassemble. Remove pieces that could easily snap. Over the next year I probably won't have much time to build or set anything up again.
Hmmm. It also depends on what sets. Modulars were easy for me to move around. Just put each floor in it's own garbage bags, then slide into a box. For that stuff I stacked two boxes on top of each other but had the top of the bottom box and the bottom of the top box opened, then taped them together for a frankenbox. Then I just put the sets in carefully, then packing air around them. Each box got me about three or four modulars with minimal rebuilding.

The Rubbermaid tub though was where I put all the disassembled stuff. I broke the sets down, bagged each lil bin of sorted pieces, then dumped all the little bags into big shopping bags to put in the bin. So, when it came time to reassemble, I just grabbed one of the big shopping bags out, and it had one complete set ready to reassemble.

ruxtpin

Banned
Hah that's my issue. All modulars going back to GG. All UCS SW going back to the Imperial Shuttle. Haunted House, Helicarrier... And then about 20-30 miscellaneous sets. I'll bring out a handful of sets for display, but we're only staying at the new place a year - so I kinda don't want to set everything up again when I know it's all going to come back down soon anyway.

Hah that's my issue. All modulars going back to GG. All UCS SW going back to the Imperial Shuttle. Haunted House, Helicarrier... And then about 20-30 miscellaneous sets. I'll bring out a handful of sets for display, but we're only staying at the new place a year - so I kinda don't want to set everything up again when I know it's all going to come back down soon anyway.

Haunted House I kept assembled and put in a bag at the bottom of the rubbermaid bin when I moved. The Red Five X-Wing I just took the wings off and individually bagged each one and the main ship before boxing like I described above. You could probably easily do that with the B-Wing as well. The Imperial Shuttle though....yeah. That has got to come apart. Or at least get the wings and top fin off of it before bagging. That set is really hard to get apart too. It is held together very, very well.

So i just HAD to build Fast Flyer right away, it felt like the thing to do after gettin this thing nearly for free ;)

And... i am not disappointed! This being my first bigger Creator jet, you can definitely feel it's age as the techniques used are all very simple, very straightforward, but i think that just adds to the nostalgia factor if anything.

Thing looks great when in flight mode, a bit clumsy in landing position with the wheels and wings out like that...

The 2 weaknesses of this design imo are the wing retracting mechanism that you can just see blatantly so in the open there, where newer sets might have hidden it away with some clever technique or whatever and of course the cockpit area where i feel i could have almost done a better job myself... I mean i get the 2 round trans pieces in the back and front but those blocky couple pieces in the middle area make it look very unsmooth there.

Other than that, i am liking it, it has been swooshed of course and i am now looking forward to getting the new Power Jet and maybe if i get lucky someday Sonic Boom :)

Yol3lIa.jpg

ScToGOP.jpg

3bZi8sG.jpg

Osahi

I don't know why they wouldn't do sets from 1, both vehicles from 1 would do much better than World's "generic" vehicles

Jada is the only ones with the right idea
Die cast and RC versions. Hoping for the Explorer next.

Original jp or lost world sets would kill my wallet. For now i could hold of on jw sets be ause they look underwhelming to me (might change when i see the movie wednesday), but that jeep or the explorer or vehicles from jw, i wouldn't be able to resist, dino tax be damned

Kitsuné

since when does a fox need an accent aigu?
So, I might be getting a bit too serious in to this LEGO hobby ... Just one week ago I thought I wanted some dark blue pieces to make a companion spaceship MOC for the dark red and gold one I made two weeks ago. I didn't have any dark blue back then. These are the pieces I have right now, one week later ...

daSU4Ky.jpg

Mostly from the Blue Power Jet, but also 3 other sets (can you guess which ones?).

So yeah, it's MOCing time again!

Ponn

Banned
Gettin married in an hour! 0_0 Calm the whole time but butterflies kicking in.

Had lego cake toppers but left them by accident. Will still use em though.

Congrats! Just enjoy the time, stop thinking of butterflies.

So yea Amazon did deliver on sunday, huh, really weird. No knock either so I didn't see who it was just found the big box outside. So here's my total weekend haul then including S@H on friday.

Winter Soldier giving Burnard the evil stare. Also included the Lego Jurassic World poster Zulithe mentioned earlier. I actually lucked out and got two because they sent Winter Soldier in a separate mailer for some reason and included an extra poster with it. Not my thing so will probably give one to my nephew and one to my friends kids.

Also Jang reviewed the Jokerland set and loved it. That Batmobile looks really good but I still think i'm going to mod it a little and remove that engine piece on top. Im definitely excited for my Halloween scene now after seeing that and getting these two sets this weekend but I think i'm going to have to get a couple extra motors to really make everything snap. I've also figured out a way to display everything just inside my doorway so i'm going to get a creepy pennywise clown mask and outfit for Halloween. It's going to be so awesome.

Toxi

Banned
Wonder what custom attractions people could add to Jokerland.

Bane's Test Your Strength?

Scarecrow's Haunted House?

Killer Croc's River Rapids?

Seems ripe for MOCing.

Ponn

Banned
Wonder what custom attractions people could add to Jokerland.

Bane's Test Your Strength?

Scarecrow's Haunted House?

Killer Croc's River Rapids?

Seems ripe for MOCing.

i'm planning on redoing the ferris wheel and mixer a bit to be more Halloween/Jokerish and i'm redoing the carousel from the Winter Village Market to be straight out of Halloweentown. A couple of moc's i'm in the planning stages of are a Ghost Ship rocker Scooby Doo style and a Joker Bumper Car rink. That Bane test your strength is a great idea for the strong man thing from the mixer. Gonna try and see what I can do with the Scooby Doo castle to turn it into a haunted house once it comes out.

Hey so I bought the new Imperial Shuttle and I must say it's bigger than i thought it would be. I don't have any of the other ones to compare it to but it will look nice next to the other Endor sets I own.

Gettin married in an hour! 0_0 Calm the whole time but butterflies kicking in.

Had lego cake toppers but left them by accident. Will still use em though.

Congrats! And I'm not sure what to think that you are posting on the LEGO thread one hour before getting married. ;)

Were you the one that was going to give minifigs as the wedding favors?

Kitsuné

since when does a fox need an accent aigu?
Does anyone know when the new Ninjago sets are released in Europe? Is it August? The first series of sets of the year has been on clearance for a month now here in Belgium, so I was kinda expecting them in June. Also I don't really know how to search for this info on the internet ...

I'm asking because they look so so good. Even the smaller sets seem to have a ton of interesting ideas/techniques/bricks ... !

LEGO to launch Angry Birds line...

What in the...? I thought Angry Birds was finally starting to fade out of popularity. Guess not.

http://brickset.com/article/15448/LEGO-to-launch-Angry-Birds-building-sets#.VXVhD5Q5LYQ.twitter

I guess they're hoping the movies going to really hype up the interest again. I do find it kind of weird how often they're doing licensed properties that have already existed in compatible brands now - its about time we got some more lego exclusives as opposed to all this multiformat stuff.

I guess they're hoping the movies going to really hype up the interest again. I do find it kind of weird how often they're doing licensed properties that have already existed in compatible brands now - its about time we got some more lego exclusives as opposed to all this multiformat stuff.
Or some lisences that many want, like Star Trek or Transformers.

Ponn

Banned
Or some lisences that many want, like Star Trek or Transformers.

Hasbro aint giving that shit up. Kreo didnt do great but they did well enough off the figs to keep it going. Which Lego should actually copy what they did for some of their licensed properties (X-Men).

Hasbro aint giving that shit up. Kreo didnt do great but they did well enough off the figs to keep it going. Which Lego should actually copy what they did for some of their licensed properties (X-Men).

We thought we would be stuck with KREO Jurassic Park because of the Hasbro connection, but thankfully we got LEGO sets. I can dream can't I?

Just imagine, a one or two times a year UCS Transformers set.

Ponn

Banned
We thought we would be stuck with KREO Jurassic Park because of the Hasbro connection, but thankfully we got LEGO sets. I can dream can't I?

Just imagine, a one or two times a year UCS Transformers set.

Yea but Hasbro like owns Transformers. That one will never ever happen. If its any consolation I don't think Lego would do G1 sets anyways, they would probably just stick with the movies which...blech.

Now Star Trek though, that' a possibility. I don't think they would have a conflict with the Star Wars license, at least I hope not that would be pretty damn petty. A UCS Enterprise?! Bird of Prey?! And maybe even, dare I say, Star Trek Dimensions packs? Seriously if Lego is going to try to compete in that area they need to lock down some Looney Toons license and Star Trek. I think that would give them some real competing power with Disney Infinity and Skylanders.

Yea but Hasbro like owns Transformers. That one will never ever happen. If its any consolation I don't think Lego would do G1 sets anyways, they would probably just stick with the movies which...blech.

Now Star Trek though, that' a possibility. I don't think they would have a conflict with the Star Wars license, at least I hope not that would be pretty damn petty. A UCS Enterprise?! Bird of Prey?! And maybe even, dare I say, Star Trek Dimensions packs? Seriously if Lego is going to try to compete in that area they need to lock down some Looney Toons license and Star Trek. I think that would give them some real competing power with Disney Infinity and Skylanders.

If there ever were Transformers sets, I think the regular series stuff that kids would more likely buy would be new stuff. But the UCS stuff would have to be G1 Transformers. The crowd willing to drop that money would mainly want G1.

As for Star Trek, there are so many possibilities. But a UCS Bird of Prey would just be...squee! And then give me a UCS Deep Space 9 too. That would be huge.

Agree about Transformers since Hasbro actually owns that IP. Star Trek is always a possibility. I'm almost done with Star Wars OT, so I can deal with those two sci-fi IP themes. Buying both would be impossible for me.

LEGO certainly is dabbling a lot with video game IPs. Minecraft, Portal, and now Angry Birds. Mortal Kombat is next!
Not! I'd rather see Street Fighter anyway.

I definitely want to see LEGO do more cartoon IPs. Peanuts CMFs and/or sets please!

EDIT: Looney Tunes would be huge too. Man, I would LOVE Animaniacs minifigs. Surprisingly, my kids know about Animaniacs because of those catchy "Countries of the world" and "Capitals and States of U.S." songs. It's like those School House Rock cartoons, they are timeless.

I'd imagine somebody would be there for at least a year with just that alone. And they better damn well include a Picard minifigure + scale Enterprise-D

You know, a big Borg cube wouldn't be that hard. Just a solid technic frame and use SNOT to attach plates of greeble to it. Unless you designed it to open up like a doll house and show some cool interior.

I'd imagine somebody would be there for at least a year with just that alone. And they better damn well include a Picard minifigure + scale Enterprise-D

I don't really know how a Lego Star Trek ship would look, especially a federation ship. Star Wars ships have sharp angles and that's easy to do and doesn't look bad with studs showing. Star Trek ships have lots of round sections and swoops and curves...and that would look pretty awful with studs everywhere. The Kre-o one looks awful (but then agaoin so does most Kre-o stuff) and some of the designs on Brickshelf or Flickr that people make have so. many. pieces. to acheive the rounded looks that a set would be unfeasable outside of a UCS type release. I would trust the Lego designers though (although maybe not after the DeLorean hood...blech).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom