• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ST would be a great fit for AFOLs especially, it's practically geek heaven and everyone that is into Lego now in their 20s-30s-40s KNOWS Star Trek.

Though i can't imagine a whole line since their main market are still kids who quite frankly would probably not give a damn about ST nowadays, but i can see maybe ONE Ideas set in the near future.

Ponn

Banned
ST would be a great fit for AFOLs especially, it's practically geek heaven and everyone that is into Lego now in their 20s-30s-40s KNOWS Star Trek.

Though i can't imagine a whole line since their main market are still kids who quite frankly would probably not give a damn about ST nowadays, but i can see maybe ONE Ideas set in the near future.

I think that poses a good question. Do they really need an entire line for a license to turn a profit? Star Trek for instance. Couldn't they do say one UCS set every year, or maybe even 6 months and still be worth it to them?

Rootbeer

Banned
I think that poses a good question. Do they really need an entire line for a license to turn a profit? Star Trek for instance. Couldn't they do say one UCS set every year, or maybe even 6 months and still be worth it to them?

They kinda are already doing it with The Simpsons so I think it's proven itself as a good approach for some properties

Course with Simpsons HUGE cast the CMF addition makes a lot of sense, but they could have done without it.

I would def buy an Enterprise UCS. But I'm not a big enough ST fan to buy lots of sets the way I do with Star Wars.

Let me counter your anecdotal evidence with mine. I don't care for ST at all. Neither does any of my geek friends.

I just hope we move past all the pop-ref done in lego fad asap.

Let me counter your anecdotal evidence with mine. I don't care for ST at all. Neither does any of my geek friends.

I just hope we move past all the pop-ref done in lego fad asap.

I was just thinking this. Maybe it's the Ideas hangover, but there just seem to be so many licensed sets / themes lately.

They're largely doing a good job but I don't need a LEGO version of every property I enjoy.

Or the ones I don't sorry BBT.

Ponn

Banned
They kinda are already doing it with The Simpsons so I think it's proven itself as a good approach for some properties

Course with Simpsons HUGE cast the CMF addition makes a lot of sense, but they could have done without it.

I would def buy an Enterprise UCS. But I'm not a big enough ST fan to buy lots of sets the way I do with Star Wars.

Yea I think I would be good with one Enterprise set, well maybe two, one OG and then one Next Gen crew. Include all the crew minifigs with each set which is doable and then a Bird of Prey set and that should really suffice. If it did really well go back for a Borg set. The only real smaller set I can think of that would be worthwhile would be a Shuttle set to scale with the Enterprise set. Maybe a humpback whale in a tank set i guess.

I see there's a LEGO store in "Water Tower Place" in downtown Chicago. Does anybody know if this store has any exclusive items/sets that are only available there?

I know some FL & CA stores do that, but haven't been to this one before.

neonglow

With Angry Birds coming next year, it'll probably take the replace some other themes. What themes do you think will disappear?

Chima - confirmed ending
Pirates - one and done revival?
Ultra Agents - ending soon?
Jurassic World - one and done theme?
Speed Champions (Racers) - another one and done revival?

With Angry Birds coming next year, it'll probably take the replace some other themes. What themes do you think will disappear?

Chima - confirmed ending

I seriously hope Speed Champions (Racers) isn't a one off.

There are so many great options out there, and it was a nice line especially at the price point it delivered.

I was just thinking this. Maybe it's the Ideas hangover, but there just seem to be so many licensed sets / themes lately.

They're largely doing a good job but I don't need a LEGO version of every property I enjoy.

Yep, it was cute at first but it's super played out by now. I'm ready for new ideas like mixels or new themes.

Ponn

Banned

Chima - confirmed ending

All of those seem done. The only one I can see continuing is Pirates but that would surprise me. Did Speed Champions sell that good? I'm actually intrigued because it seems like quite a few lines finishing up and wondering what they have on deck for next year.

Would be sad if Ultra Agents didn't return next year, they have came out with some great sets for it. At least it got a bit more attention than Alien Conquest, that deserved more.

They need to make a Film Legends line. Only a couple of sets a year tops, and each just a scene or vehicle from an iconic film. Give me the Orca from Jaws just for example. That way we get stuff we want without them having to do a whole line.

You may not, but the world does!!! All part of the plan for LEGO to take over the world.

Seriously though, I think it's good for LEGO to work with as many IP's possible that it feels is a good fit. It's expands LEGO to many other audiences. Also, for those that like both LEGO and the IP, it's double the pleasure.

It's not like LEGO has stopped doing their own IP themes.

Would be sad if Ultra Agents didn't return next year, they have came out with some great sets for it. At least it got a bit more attention than Alien Conquest, that deserved more.

Isn't Ultra Agents on their 3rd wave? That's a great run for a LEGO created IP. Of course, Ninjago blows that away. Chima is unique as I think they had a lot of waves already planned out to go with the cartoon. It was supposed to be their next "Ninjago". I think Chima did OK, but it definitely didn't hit Ninjago popularity.

Ultra Agents needs a cartoon to push it further than the usual 2-3 waves of a non-evergreen theme.

Agree with Alien Conquest. The theme that died too early. It did make for great clearance discounts. I regret not getting multiples of the battle pack for 50% off. I was in control of my addiction back then. LOL

neonglow

I think The LEGO Movie theme will also be done and be placed on hiatus until the LEGO Batman movie arrives in 2017.

For next year, we have the following themes:

Evergeen:
City
Creator
DC/Marvel
Friends
Ninjago
Star Wars
Technic

New:
Angry Birds
Castle (?)
Harry Potter Spinoff: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (?)

Likely Returning:
Architecture
Bionicle
Disney Princess
Elves
Scooby-Doo
Simpsons

ghostmind

Great list neonglow!

Something new is coming early next year - as early as January - but the details are cloudy so far.

We should start hearing rumours as early as next month...

FEFRkiP.jpg

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/dRKAb#

3N16MA

Banned
Just came in to quickly post that I bought the Blue Power Jet over the weekend and finished the build tonight and man what fun that is. I mean really - no spoilers but the wings! I highly recommend anyone buy it - worth every penny and you can fit two mini figs in it! Cannot say anything bad about it. Will probably build the alternate models soon - but cant see how they'd be better than the jet! A+

ruxtpin

Banned
Great list neonglow!

Something new is coming early next year - as early as January - but the details are cloudy so far.

We should start hearing rumours as early as next month...

Is this the item you were privy to in the past but hasn't been released yet?

Just came in to quickly post that I bought the Blue Power Jet over the weekend and finished the build tonight and man what fun that is. I mean really - no spoilers but the wings! I highly recommend anyone buy it - worth every penny and you can fit two mini figs in it! Cannot say anything bad about it. Will probably build the alternate models soon - but cant see how they'd be better than the jet! A+
Ugh. I should of just ordered it from LEGO. I still can't find it in town here. Maybe tomorrow. This set is getting hyped hard on here and on other sites.

Maengun1

I think The LEGO Movie theme will also be done and be placed on hiatus until the LEGO Batman movie arrives in 2017.

For next year, we have the following themes:

Harry Potter Spinoff: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (?)

Man...I would be so happy if they did this and threw in some new original Harry Potter series sets. I'm a massive HP fan who just got back into Lego in 2012...which was the year they ended the HP theme. I didn't even know it was going away, I impulse bought the Hagrid's Hut set on clearance somewhere, and that got me back into looking at new Lego sets for the first time in over a decade, and then a month or so later I noticed that all the Harry Potter stuff was gone :'(

Rootbeer

Banned
Nice pic, and you know, the instant the first wave of Agents was revealed and we saw all the trans blue and strong Tron vibes, I immediately thought of that Batman minifig, so cheers for making that :p

One of my fav book-exclusive minifigs. Wish they'd given him a blue cape though, that would be so rad. (or black cape with blue underside)

Rootbeer

Banned
Monster High Mega Bloks showing up in stock

91xWBOeeItL._SL1500_.jpg

91UPShOgp7L._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U3SSPJ2/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U26LQCI/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U3SSPDS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The figures are better than the Friends ones. They actually have articulated knees... imagine that, LEGO. Imagine. That.

And if you're the sort that doesn't mind mixing MB in with your LEGO, there are some cool parts in these. Especially for your Monster Hunters and upcoming Scooby Doo builds

Monster High Mega Bloks showing up in stock

91xWBOeeItL._SL1500_.jpg

91UPShOgp7L._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U3SSPJ2/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U26LQCI/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U3SSPDS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The figures are better than the Friends ones. They actually have articulated knees... imagine that, LEGO. Imagine. That.

And if you're the sort that doesn't mind mixing MB in with your LEGO, there are some cool parts in these. Especially for your Monster Hunters and upcoming Scooby Doo builds

The articulated knees are great for posing. It definitely makes them more like miniature dolls. The one drawback is it is a pain when trying to attach the minidoll to studs (no, not that kind of stud). At least, that is my experience with the manly versions (World of Warcraft, Halo, etc) mini-action figures.

Those are a decent price point that I'll probably add some of those Monster High minidolls to my collection. I'm a sucker for minifig compatibles. Also, those minidolls look like they will go perfect with my pimp minifig. I don't have a daughter, but I'm positive if I did I would not approve of her dressing up like those Monster High mini-trollops in high school.

8112699414_7540b4ef4d_n.jpg
7949467434_1cc6da36b7_n.jpg

Also, this is how I feel about mixing clone bricks with LEGO.

8363900583_2c5463d1bd_n.jpg

"Swingers" by Bentbricks, on Flickr

Just kidding, I prefer LEGO purity, but I will mix brands a bit. I almost never mix bricks though. Mostly minifigs, accessories, and some unique parts.

P.S. "Mixing brands" isn't a euphemism for swinging. I don't play that way. :)

EDIT: I'm thinking LEGO needs to have a Halloween Friends theme. Some can be dressed up as monsters and look a bit like those Monster High minidolls except less trashy. But the best part would be having some of them dressed up as Super Heroes. It would be a great way to test the market to see if there would be interest in a Super Hero Friends theme.

EDIT 2: Seriously, do girls wear thigh high laced boots in high school nowadays? Or am I being a fuddy-duddy?

Ponn

Banned
Man...I would be so happy if they did this and threw in some new original Harry Potter series sets. I'm a massive HP fan who just got back into Lego in 2012...which was the year they ended the HP theme. I didn't even know it was going away, I impulse bought the Hagrid's Hut set on clearance somewhere, and that got me back into looking at new Lego sets for the first time in over a decade, and then a month or so later I noticed that all the Harry Potter stuff was gone :'(

I feel ya, came back little late too. Got LoTR but missed Harry Potter. I would have bought the shit out of all those sets too.

Rootbeer

Banned
One of the best choices I made was picking up some HP sets in the early months of my LEGO return.

Hagrid's Hut, Hogwarts Castle, quidditch match and a couple smaller sets. It's not much, but I have a lot of my favorite charaters. Those sets are worth a lot now too!

Yes, I would love to see a revival of HP with updated prints and such. Hope that when LEGO picks up the license for the spinoff films that they'll do more HP sets too.

Reading yet another review of the Ant-man set, I had a thought about the new process LEGO has that mixes two types of plastic during the moulding process. The awesome looking helmets in ant-man mix in trans red for the eyes. Is it possible we'll get a new Batman cowl with white plastic in the eye holes eventually? This would finally get rid of the silly white headband on all of Batman's heads so they could actually be reusable.

Rootbeer

Banned
Does the US have any LEGO Jurassic World pre-orders going on outside of GameStop "Gallimimus" polybag?

Just a Henry Wu Minifig at target, but I think it's the same Wu as the one in the Indominus set.

Would you really pick Wu over the exclusive dino though? Granted it's a reprint with new colors but at least it's unique. Gamestop has the better exclusive.

If you ever plan on buying the Indominus set, i'd pick gamestop over target this round.

Today at Target I found the 30314 Go-Kart Racer polybag set. They had tons of them too. Supposedly they started showing up in May but I didn't see them in my local stores until now.

Taking stock of my Endor themed sets and I actually have all of the ones released so far but I am missing some minifigures from the shield generator bunker which means I can buy new ones to replace them.

Experien

Would you really pick Wu over the exclusive dino though? Granted it's a reprint with new colors but at least it's unique. Gamestop has the better exclusive.

If you ever plan on buying the Indominus set, i'd pick gamestop over target this round.

Today at Target I found the 30314 Go-Kart Racer polybag set. They had tons of them too. Supposedly they started showing up in May but I didn't see them in my local stores until now.

I'm trying to decide if going out of my way to a store and paying taxes is worth maybe getting a polybag set (who knows how many GameStop will have if I can't even get to the store Friday night) vs staying in and not paying taxes through Amazon and not getting polybag. Neither pre-order is a MUST for me, just trying to maximize my purchase.

Real problem is, I got my Dilophosaurus set but none of the other sets intrigue me. I think I am more interested by just buying the dino's themself online. I'd like an I-Rex but I don't know if I'd want that set. I know I don't want another "wanna-be" truck for that T-Rex set. I already have a raptor, triceratops, and one of those coelophysis.

I saw the go-kart back in May or maybe April (who remembers long times ago like that?) but never picked one up.

neonglow

EDIT: I'm thinking LEGO needs to have a Halloween Friends theme. Some can be dressed up as monsters and look a bit like those Monster High minidolls except less trashy. But the best part would be having some of them dressed up as Super Heroes. It would be a great way to test the market to see if there would be interest in a Super Hero Friends theme.

EDIT 2: Seriously, do girls wear thigh high laced boots in high school nowadays? Or am I being a fuddy-duddy?

The super hero mini-dolls are coming later this year!

http://www.neoape.com/new-lego-theme-coming-dc-super-hero-girls/

Well I bought the Hulkbuster and put it together. Eh it's okay, I think it's a well done set, really solid and a good value, I'm just not feeling it all that much, I'd probably like it more if I was more of a mech fan but I generally don't care for them that much. As far as affordable mech sets go, I found I liked the Lex Luthor one a lot more.

Kyari

Legogaf, any thoughts on the Galaxy Squad sets the past few years?
A store near me has a whole bunch of them for 50% off on clearance. Off the top of my head I remember seeing:

70708: Hive Crawler
70707: CLS-89 Eradicator Mech
70705: Bug Obliterator

And a bunch of others that I don't remember specifically beyond "they definitely had more than 3 sets on the shelves"

How are they? Worth picking some up?

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
A store near me has a whole bunch of them for 50% off on clearance. Off the top of my head I remember seeing:

And a bunch of others that I don't remember specifically beyond "they definitely had more than 3 sets on the shelves"

The entire range is probably a Top 3 theme of all time for me. Beating original Space (sacrilege, I know). And I don't even rate the bug enemies - the human ships are what I love best. So it's a yes from me.

And the three sets you name are some of the stand out ones - especially the Crawler.

Kyari

The robot in the Hive Crawler is hell of blatently a Turian with a helmet on from Mass Effect, though. Man, I want Mass Effect lego now. :(

If the hive crawler is the one with the funky legs then hell yes. I wasn't crazy about the theme but that thing is in the "never disassemble" pile. Kids love it

BUY! All are awesome, but Hive Crawler is my favorite of that entire theme. It was also my second favorite set for all of 2013. That was a set that just came out of nowhere for me, and probably the best set for making me feel like a kid again. The maniacal glee I had once the legs were attached and started moving has not been replicated since.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

The Eradicator Mech is one of my favorite sets I own. Super cool looking and very posable. And a fun build.
But yeah, that whole theme is just excellent.

ghostmind

My Galaxy Squad sense is tingling!

cJIi2cF.png

Those three sets are some of the best of the theme - I would get them all.

Other sets worth seeking out are 70704 Vermin Vaporizer and 70701 Swarm Interceptor.

BUY! All are awesome, but Hive Crawler is my favorite of that entire theme. It was also my second favorite set for all of 2013. That was a set that just came out of nowhere for me, and probably the best set for making me feel like a kid again. The maniacal glee I had once the legs were attached and started moving has not been replicated since.

Yes yes yes!

I didn't know that the legs moved; when I accidentally rolled it I let out a (manly) squeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom