• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unit 33

It's been a good 5 years since I last bought any Lego, and it's against my character impulsively spend money, but for some reason it just seemed right to buy some Lego right about now.
I bought the new-ish Imperial Shuttle. My finances would suggest that it wasn't such a good idea, but I tell you seeing that thing adorn my shelf makes it all worth it.

It's been a good 5 years since I last bought any Lego, and it's against my character impulsively spend money, but for some reason it just seemed right to buy some Lego right about now.
I bought the new-ish Imperial Shuttle. My finances would suggest that it wasn't such a good idea, but I tell you seeing that thing adorn my shelf makes it all worth it.
Welcome! It is great to see new blood.

And don't worry, we are all filthy enablers in here. But at least we are all nice about it.

Woorloog

Banned
Poe's X-Wing is attractive. Very much so. I didn't originally like the idea of black-orange X-wing, would have preferred white-blue one but after seeing a video, it looks pretty nice.

Yet there are problems.
The set itself has those stupid blue rubber-bands. I am actually less concerned about the color and more about the fact they will degrade.
The set is overpriced here (95€ at cheapest).
The closest store with the set is 5 km away (aside from walking there ain't no practical way to get there, too bad i don't have a bicycle).
The box is big, would be awkward to carry it back.

And finally, i keep wondering if we'll get a new First Order Star Destroyer UCS set or something like that next year, figure i'd rather save my money for such. (Of course, there are no guarantees there will be one.)

[Insert join the dark side etc. .gifs here.]

EDIT Ordering? Eh, not the same thing. Besides, i'd end up cancelling it pretty soon, as it gives me time to think.

I think those new SW sets are a tad overpriced too so I'm gonna just wait on a sale or something. There should be plenty of time to get them.

Picked up a single skeleton guy CMF 14 figure. Super cute. Original Lego skeleton with flimsy arms is still my all time favorite design the company has ever done. The all black outlaw from the original Wild West line is probably my second fave.

I forget if I've asked before but what minifig is your favorite? (Pics please)

Maengun1

Woot, I finally found a box of series 14 monsters in my crappy little town!

Spent about 45 minutes feeling my way through it, and ended up with 15/16. I've become a master at this (haven't gotten an accidental minifigure double since I picked out 2 Flanders from the first Simpsons line). There were no Werewolves left in the box when I got to it, either that or I missed them. I'll get him later on when another store gets them in stock.

This series is soooo good. So many fun and interesting new pieces! In particular, the Spectre, Banshee, Gargoyle, Skeleton Kid, Plant Monster and Tiger Lady are some of my favorite minifigures they've ever done.

Picked up a single skeleton guy CMF 14 figure. Super cute. Original Lego skeleton with flimsy arms is still my all time favorite design the company has ever done. The all black outlaw from the original Wild West line is probably my second fave.

OG Blacktron reigns supreme. It's all about that black visor.

blacktron1.jpg

Ponn

Banned

I'm waiting for a last couple figs but I got to say i'm really surprised by the skeleton trick or treater fig. There are just a lot of great figs in this line of course but the print on the skeleton guy is just amazing but at the same time very subtle. And that trick 'r treat bucket is just awesome. I found it kind of funny in this line that the figs either had awesome print all around or they had like no print.

I've been building Kylo Ren's ship on and off this weekend. It comes with two generic no-name First Order Crewmen.

I just got to the fourth bag. One crewman is white, and one is black.

I know that's a small thing, but it's about time. I don't think I've ever built a SW set where the ubiquitous helmet-wearing bad guys were anything but white. Given the fact that this set also comes with a female First Order Officer, I'm impressed.

They may be baby steps, but they're good steps.

mrkgoo

Just kind of a random comment while Lego is at an all time high in popularity it seems - current Lego is so amazing.

My last three sets are the new jet, wall E and grievous. The tehniques, colours and communities are just so great now and really beat Lego from years back.

Don't get me wrong Lego always was awesome but for a new age, they're teally kept it moving forward.

A lot of people I speak to have a strong nostalgia for the old stuff and that's fine, but when they say Lego is different now because of all the licenses and colours and "cheat" pieces, it really does a disservice to what Lego has achieved over the years.

It's as creatively-enabling as it ever was and the new pieces just make for more creativity. Licenses just means fans can get into it and doesn't impede on Lego in general, and merely add options and a broader appeal.

Um... Yeah.

Just kind of a random comment while Lego is at an all time high in popularity it seems - current Lego is so amazing.

My last three sets are the new jet, wall E and grievous. The tehniques, colours and communities are just so great now and really beat Lego from years back.

Don't get me wrong Lego always was awesome but for a new age, they're teally kept it moving forward.

A lot of people I speak to have a strong nostalgia for the old stuff and that's fine, but when they say Lego is different now because of all the licenses and colours and "cheat" pieces, it really does a disservice to what Lego has achieved over the years.

It's as creatively-enabling as it ever was and the new pieces just make for more creativity. Licenses just means fans can get into it and doesn't impede on Lego in general, and merely add options and a broader appeal.

Um... Yeah.
The people who discount the new stuff because of "cheat" pieces and colors obviously haven't built some of the great new things. If anything, there are fewer cheat pieces and more universal pieces. So many of the old 80s and 90s cheat pieces are built for one thing and hard to use as something else effectively. Things are now designed to be more of multitasking pieces, which I love.

Woot, I finally found a box of series 14 monsters in my crappy little town!

Spent about 45 minutes feeling my way through it, and ended up with 15/16. I've become a master at this (haven't gotten an accidental minifigure double since I picked out 2 Flanders from the first Simpsons line). There were no Werewolves left in the box when I got to it, either that or I missed them. I'll get him later on when another store gets them in stock.

This series is soooo good. So many fun and interesting new pieces! In particular, the Spectre, Banshee, Gargoyle, Skeleton Kid, Plant Monster and Tiger Lady are some of my favorite minifigures they've ever done.

Speaking of which ones are in demand, the ones I found that were plentiful of a well picked over LEGO store bin were:

Zombie Pirates
Mad Scientists
Monster Rocker

It felt like (pun intended) like around 50% of the packs were those 3. Zombie Pirates and Mad Scientists were more abundant than Monster Rocker. Distant 4th was the Gargoyle.

Not surprising since the 3 most abundant are the only ones that are 5 per box.

Distribution is decent in series 14. I think they could have made some of the 5 counts to 4 and bump up some 3 counts to 4, but overall I don't think we'll see any hard to find like the Unicorn girl and Hot Dog guy.

Box Distribution:
3 Wolf Guys
5 Zombie Pirates
5 Mad Scientists
3 Wacky Witches
4 Plant Monsters
4 Fly Monsters
4 Spectres
3 Zombie Cheerleaders
3 Tiger Women
4 Gargoyles
4 Skeleton Guys
5 Monster Rockers
3 Zombie Businessmen
3 Banshees
4 Square Foots
3 Spider Ladies

I thought "sold out" meant gone for good and "temporarily/out of stock" meant more is on the way.

That was my understanding too, but there is no way they don't have anymore after the 1st week of release.

Amiibro

Man I hope that info for the two new Frozen sets are true. My wife and daughter would flip they love Frozen. I don't think they they have seen the ice castle set here it's always sold out. I'm going to pick it up for Christmas.

They also have no idea I snagged the Cinderella Castle and The Tangled tower. I'm hoping she will put them together with her if not I will.

I agree with Phon, the original Blacktron is pretty much perfect. For newer figures, it's hard to pick, although Theoden and Boromir are outstanding. I also really like the Pretzel Girl, the Space Heroine and the female orange Galaxy Squad. Oh, and the Computer Programmer and Librarian.

I agree with Phon, the original Blacktron is pretty much perfect. For newer figures, it's hard to pick, although Theoden and Boromir are outstanding. I also really like the Pretzel Girl, the Space Heroine and the female orange Galaxy Squad. Oh, and the Computer Programmer and Librarian.

All those are up there for me as well... the OG Blacktron is badass on so many levels. I used to think I had more, but I think I only own two of those figures. Their black visors has to be one of my top helmet accessories as well.

Gonna post my Halloween MOC. It's nowhere near done, but I wanted to get ahead of the awesome MOCs I bet we will see. It's a modular recreation of Legos Haunted House based on the official set with the inspiration coming from modularsbkristel.com. Anyway, here's my rendition. I'm going to be changing a lot of things and adding some neat details, too.
Also, FWIW I don't actually own the Haunted House set. Regretfully, it's the one that got away. I didn't want to place any special orders so this is made with what I already have.

These are some quick phone pics at my workstation, so I apologize if they look rough.

Front before roof was finished.
EyMvSbw.jpg

Closer shot of the front with CMFs.
m1XAsgw.jpg

WUxJlvf.jpg

Trick-or-treater made the mistake of going inside. What exactly is going on in there?
Y8IhlQX.jpg

Shot of the roof line. Wasn't sure how to spruce it up but realized I had at least 60 megaphones. Thought it looked okay so I kept it.
1fQo0o1.jpg

Thoughts and opinions are welcome. I'll post more as I get more of it done.

Great looking! Love the Witch and how you managed to recreate the feel of HH without having it!!

Just how did you do that purplish sky though in the shot with the megaphones/witch? It looks amazing to me and has a great color transition.

So I got the Mystery Machine a few days ago, FINALLY so I put it together tonight. It's well worth the purchase, I think it's really put together well and sturdy. It looks just about right but man for a medium sized set, it has a hella amount of stickers...

EDIT: The flower pattern hubcaps not spinning when I push the van around kinda drives me up a wall for some odd reason.

Kitsuné

since when does a fox need an accent aigu?
Caved and ordered Wall-E at s@h, including a bunch of Mixels since we don't get those in Belgium. I really wanted Wall-E, as I've been a fan of the movie ever since it came out, and he looks just perfect.
The Star Wars sets will have to wait until the holidays I guess, budget is tight atm.

Which Bionicle set do you guys advice I get for the head fix? I probably have most pieces already, but I keep most of my sets built and I don't want to break some down just to get the parts I need for Wall-E's fix.

Kitsuné;177924395 said:
Which Bionicle set do you guys advice I get for the head fix? I probably have most pieces already, but I keep most of my sets built and I don't want to break some down just to get the parts I need for Wall-E's fix.

I'd hold off buying sets to fix Wall-E just yet. At least give Lego a chance to fix it themselves.

ghostmind

CITY 2016 info, via Klaus-Dieter on EuroBricks:

60105 Fire ATV looks similar to all previous fire ATVs. A fireman, a saw, a fire drencher and some burning scenery are included.
60106 Fire Starter Set has a mini hover craft for one fireman, a small rack with something burning on it, two firemen, a mechanic and a (fire?) diver.
60107 Fire Ladder Truck is about the same one like the 2013 one with two firemen, but with a burning barrel.
60108 Fire Response Unit is a fire heli throwing water like bombs, the 2015 racing motorcycle as fire motorcycle, a burning container (construction site), a firefighter, a fire pilot and a welder.
60109 Fire Boat has a fire boat using the hull from the Deep Sea Exploration Vehicle, but in red, the bridge is smaller, there's a huge water cannon in the front and on the left and right side a small one, a crane boom with a water cannon behind the bridge. The back part of the ship isn't closed - there's a plate in between. Additionally there's a yellow rubber boat, a burning mini lighthouse (like the one in the last CG ship) and a small rack with a little hut on it included. Minifigs are three firemen, a (fire?) diver and a man.
60110 Fire Station is very similar to the previous version, but with the small garage on the left and the big on the right, the main building is three floors big with that yellow stack in front, but with a revolving door. Small fire car (like fire chief's car), small fire heli and a fire truck looking like the one in the 2013 fire station, but with crane with rescue basket. There is even a burning hot dog and chicken cart included. Minifigs are three firemen, a fire pilot and a cook.
60111 Fire Utility Truck has a burning satellite dish on a pole, a fire truck similar to the Forest Police Truck With Boat, but without office in the back and it's six studs wide. Included is a trailer with a crane with a rescue basket. Two firemen.
60113 Rally Car looks like one of the Speed Champions cars, yellow-black, a minifig and a racing flag.
60114 Race Boat is lime-green with one minifigure and two small buoys.
60115 4x4 Off Roader looks like a giantic monster truck, six studs wide, Octan colors, with two Octan minifigs and a lot of tools.
60116 Ambulance Plane is a bit similar to the cargo heliplane, but without heliplane functions, colors mainly white, a stretcher, a motorcycle, a driver and a paramedic are included.
60117 Van Caravan actually is a blue van similar to the last SUV with jetskis, a caravan nearly the same like the 2012 version, a bbq, a dog, a woman an a man.
60118 Garbage Truck is a completely new design: It has on the left as well as on the right side a bar with which the huge, open dustbin can be pulled up to the top of the truck and be unloaded there. Huge, open dustbin with garbage, two workers and shovel and brush belong to the set.
60119 Ferry is surprisingly a car ferry, yellow-white with a very small elevated 6x6 bridge and place for (I apperciate) three regular sized cars. Minifigs are the captain and a woman who's driving a red cabriolet.
60126 Tire Escape includes a huge tire with a paddle and a police jetski, a prisoner and a policeman.
60127 Prison Island Starter Set has a small rack with a light and a little hiding place for a treasure, a mini boat for a prisoner and an open police car which looks like a car used at golf course. Minifigs are two policemen and two prisoners.
60128 Police Pursuit is a six studs wide white police racer and a red pick-up, a prisoner and a policeman.
60129 Police Patrol Boat uses the last CG ship's boat hull, but in black. Supposably it's a prison ship. A huge red rubber boat is included, too. Minifigs are three or four.
60130 Prison Island is built on a brick-built rock, there's a heliport on the sea, a prison and waste-pipe (through which one prisoner escapes) on the first floor and a watchtower (being three floors big) and another prison cell on the second. Big, black police rubber boat, little police heli, small, swamp-green prisoner's rubber boat and a hot air balloon for the prisoners to escape are included. Minifigs are four policemen and four prisoners.

I haven't info about the 60112 Fire Engine and 60131 Crooks Island. Supposably they are retail exclusives.

The only sets that sounds interesting to me are 60119 Ferry, and 60130 Prison Island. The exclusive 60131 Crooks Island has potential.

Osahi

Miss Falcon has arrived. Her plus one wqs Rey's sexy speeder.

I built the latter immidiatly. What a great little set! At 30 euro a tad overpriced though... Ah well. I adore the look and love the simple opening mechanic.

I'll put together mss falcon over a few nights i think. Looking forward to it. Always wanted a falcon...

TheFuzz

Great looking! Love the Witch and how you managed to recreate the feel of HH without having it!!

Just how did you do that purplish sky though in the shot with the megaphones/witch? It looks amazing to me and has a great color transition.

Thanks so much for the compliments, everyone!

Winnie, it's actually a dark red wall and the lamp was angled to light up the house but actually ended up creating a purple hue with the other modulars in the background. Happy accident, mostly, but I decided keep it when the picture came out like I did.

My next steps are in interior. I really want a dilapidated and "abandoned" look, so I'm tinkering with ideas on which details will help that. I've got a pretty fun idea for the back as well.

Ponn

Banned
CITY 2016 info, via Klaus-Dieter on EuroBricks:

The only sets that sounds interesting to me are 60119 Ferry, and 60130 Prison Island. The exclusive 60131 Crooks Island has potential.

Lego City is filled with crime and perpetually on fire. It sounds like a horrible place to live.

I wonder how an Ideas modular building would work. Would it be released as an Ideas set and replace the modular building that year, or release alongside it, or release as a normal set, or what? I've noticed quite a few of them on Ideas, there's an amazing looking train station.

I dunno if I like that library though. It looks quite bland (it's all the grey) and the text is a bit "been there, done that." I'd love a library but I think Lego's designers would do a cooler job. I don't really like how the fascia goes way up past the top of the first floor, either, it feels kind of less "modular." It does look pretty cool internally though.

The Adventure Time set looks like a load of fun though. Rivendell will be the first million-piece set!

Markus

I was just at my local Walmart (Halifax, NS) and asked a clerk to check the UPC code on series 14. They have 16 boxes "in transit" to the location which "should" arrive in the next 3 days. Turns out that each store in my province only received an initial 4 boxes each (and that someone went around to all the stores Sept 1 and bought up every box).

Maybe seeing not one but two stupidly-large lotr projects make it on ideas will convince Lego to throw me a bone on the subject :,(

No way. Hopefully it will convince people to stop throwing those projects up. There is no business sense in making them. That Rivendell is ridiculous, it would be the biggest set ever.

As for the sets in question:

Adventure Time - I really have no idea about the license, but I don't see a worldwide appeal. Then again we got BBT, so who knows?

Caterham - really nice cars, but will it compete with the Creator cars? Does Lego want a super-high end car collectible to make their high end cars look simple?

Library - super dull, like Town Hall but even less interesting. And I still don't see a modular being made in Ideas.

Lothlorien - pretty much the same size as Ewok Village = not happening.

Lego Physics - kind of neat, could work, if they can make reasonable instructions for it.

Stay Puft - would be cool, obviously. Maybe a bit too obscure - it simply will not sell to more than a fraction of the people who already bought the Ecto-1. Then again it might be a big fraction and it has indeed sold well.

Indominus Rex - not happening. Especially if they can't produce enough to keep the regular mold on shelves.

Rivendell - lololololol.

The Little Prince - what is this?

Of the rest, it's hard to tell, but I would LOVE the Discworld set. No real interest in the others although Frozen isn't happening, of course.

I believe Rivendell will happen. It will be a premium high end set and it will be glorious.

19 figures? Around 5000 pieces for what is still a microbuild? No way ever. Maybe if The Hobbit wasn't a total flop that was basically shot in the knees with a subpar third lineup, the DLC for the game cancelled and a possible third LotR line never releasing.

Look at Temple of Airjitzu. That's the crown jewel of a massively popular series and it's less than half the size, and a great playset at that. Plus, we already got Orthanc which was probably a bad business move in and of itself.

In other news, I suddenly have a backlog. Wall-E and the Mystery Machine arrived, and I just picked up a First Order Transport since a friend is going to split the figures and parts with me. And I still haven't built BBT, and tomorrow the MF is arriving. Good times.

Fowler

I thought Orthanc did relatively poorly? How that set fared will be the best guide to whether we get more big LOTR sets or not, moreso than anything from Ideas IMO.

Fishlake

Made more progress towards having my Legos organized. Even though I say progress it still feels like little to nothing. I'm wishing I had done this years ago :(.

TheFuzz your house looks amazing. You did a great job capturing the haunted house set on a smaller level.

TheFuzz

Made more progress towards having my Legos organized. Even though I say progress it still feels like little to nothing. I'm wishing I had done this years ago :(.

TheFuzz your house looks amazing. You did a great job capturing the haunted house set on a smaller level.

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words. Hopefully the inside will follow suit. I'm right there with you, re: sorting.

Ponn

Banned
19 figures? Around 5000 pieces for what is still a microbuild? No way ever. Maybe if The Hobbit wasn't a total flop that was basically shot in the knees with a subpar third lineup, the DLC for the game cancelled and a possible third LotR line never releasing.

Look at Temple of Airjitzu. That's the crown jewel of a massively popular series and it's less than half the size, and a great playset at that. Plus, we already got Orthanc which was probably a bad business move in and of itself.

In other news, I suddenly have a backlog. Wall-E and the Mystery Machine arrived, and I just picked up a First Order Transport since a friend is going to split the figures and parts with me. And I still haven't built BBT, and tomorrow the MF is arriving. Good times.

3IvqqXH.jpg

Frodo Lives!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom