• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lengthy AAA development cycles Are there any factors to suggest it will reduce in the future?

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
If they just add another gender neutral bathroom they can get more work done

Banjo64

cumsessed
It’s not even just AAA games now.

Some of my most anticipated games are from;

Gears for Breakfast (last game 2017)
Playtonic Games (last game 2019)
Moon Studios (last game 2020)
Supergiant Games (last game 2020)

3-6 year wait on new projects from indie devs too.

I’m more forgiving because they are smaller teams obviously, but it’s pretty sad that everyone in the industry is stuck in these huge cycles.

This is why I believe that the AAA will be easier to do in the future. With the tech slowing down and photorealism being easier than ever to do, we will have in one or two generations enough games that did the job to simply push from the base for a long time. TLou 3 or 4 will be good enough as a base to make super DLC tech wise if you see what I mean. Or GTA being good enough for 10 years now. This will be the path going forward, for those who already have great IP. The FIFA model of incremental upgrades. For new IP I can see them using early access more and more with mods used to push them up to parity with older AAA until a game made enough to warrant the work needed to be modernised. For consoles Sony will either go the Nintendo route of being one of the few to make it work in their consoles, or go GAAS all the way ( :messenger_fearful: ) and be like GTA with 10 years plans. Microsoft will continue Gamepass so early access in all but name too.

Tech isn't slowing down though. RT is giving developers a lot of headaches.

I do find average indie games very pleasant to look at though. Maybe that's easier to achieve without costing much.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Tech isn't slowing down though. RT is giving developers a lot of headaches.

I do find average indie games very pleasant to look at though. Maybe that's easier to achieve without costing much.
Weak RT in consoles is giving headaches. But this will go soon enough. I admit that tech isn't slowing down as much at it is morphing. But we do not see the huge gains that we got in the 90s and 00s.

NahaNago

RT will probably work a bit better on the ps6 and xbsx2. I would say the development cycles most likely won't be reduced.

I am curious if instead of creating an engine a studio will just create a world,nation, city, or town for developers to mod to make their own game. Like say someone created Tokyo and a bunch of different studios make their own game using a portion of that already made city.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
AI will greatly help with content generation not just scripting.

Scripting is not the hard part.. creating rigged 3D mode is is the hard part. Creating densely filled 3D environments is the hard part.

Last edited:
Top Bottom