• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets arrange a LOTR: Battle for MIddle Earth 2 (360) league interest??

Kingpen

hgplayer1 said:
hey is anyone planning on playing tonight? Im not sure what time Ill want to play but at some point Ill be on.

feel free to add me and invite me. I might be in FFXI but Ill see the invite and if Im at a point where I can get on LOTR I will.

thinking about the game I played last night with Kingpen I think I just ran out of juice. I wasnt thinking quickly enough because I needed sleep. he wore me down. I wonder also if that game lasted so long because maybe neither of us was doing a good job. :lol I dunno but it was fun.

I gotta play volleyball at my father in laws tonight, so I might be a no show for tonight....

We had ourselves a pretty fun game with some back and forth going on. What really hurt hgplayer1 is that I nuked about 400 troops of his and 2 attack trolls that he was trying to line up in battle formation to sneak up on my base through the woods. One well placed dragon flame (thanks to his careful placement of neatly grouped formations.... lol) and they were toast. Then I went on to send 1000 troops toward his base and take out most of his resources. But even at this point, I think we played for 2 hours more because he had the Nazgul flying around on his side playing MVP and smoking a ton of my forces, allowing him to basically start from scratch and rebuild a lot of things. I think we were both in awe at how much longer the game went on and just wanted to see how long he could defend and hold off my advances..

Mordor's fortress is a beast.... it has more home security on it then ADT. I guess it makes up for not being able to construct walls around it.

Truely a fabolous game and I sure look forward to playing with more of you. This aint the crappy Outfit folks, it is a great piece of RTS gaming...

jda1977

just got home with the game, would love to play some multi with everyone. please add me ...

GT. xXNostradamusXx

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Rarh. I went to EB with 3 games that were actually giving good values, but they wouldn't give me $10 extra because they said all 3 had to be the same system. The hell? I've done these deals for years and never had a problem.
Oh well, I'll try another EB near work tomorrow and maybe I'll join up sometime in the merriness.

hgplayer1 said:
friend invites sent. hope we can get a 4 player match going

Great game we had going. We need more people, though!

This game is seriously fun online, I'm going to try to get as many people as possible to try it out.

RevenantKioku said:
Rarh. I went to EB with 3 games that were actually giving good values, but they wouldn't give me $10 extra because they said all 3 had to be the same system. The hell? I've done these deals for years and never had a problem.
Oh well, I'll try another EB near work tomorrow and maybe I'll join up sometime in the merriness.

That's not the deal my store is doing. Ask for the manager or dm and see what they have to say.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Sugarman said:
That's not the deal my store is doing. Ask for the manager or dm and see what they have to say.
Well it was near closing time so I decided to give no guff, just went home. I've seen the manager at this particular EB many a time, and he knows I've been good to them (as they've generally been good to me) so another time.
What is the deal your store is doing so that I might not be getting confused? The website seems to imply that I can trade in any 3 games from current gen systems, certain exclusions, and get $10 extra.

RevenantKioku said:
Well it was near closing time so I decided to give no guff, just went home. I've seen the manager at this particular EB many a time, and he knows I've been good to them (as they've generally been good to me) so another time.
What is the deal your store is doing so that I might not be getting confused? The website seems to imply that I can trade in any 3 games from current gen systems, certain exclusions, and get $10 extra.

That's exactly what mine (and all the other stores in the area) are doing as well.

edit- on the topic of the game. So far I've been winning online building massive armies, but the last online match I had the guy wipped me out with half of the army I had. He struck first, his units were powered up and the weak units I pumped out couldn't stand up to them and eventually my fortress was taken. Good game.

little danny brown, man, he went lotr on the mmo over on the 360. he smoked a bit of pcp, started coding a bit of php while playing his psp and it was lolz for a minute.

Kingpen

DenogginizerOS said:
I now own this game. I will learn and then I will destroy. ;)

Heh heh.... couldn't resist the urge of the Palantir huh and the draw of this game..

How long did your guys match go. I would love to fire it up tonight but think I need to recoup the sleep I lost last night with hgplayer1.

Did you figure out how to do teams of 2 on 2?

Kingpen said:
Heh heh.... couldn't resist the urge of the Palantir huh and the draw of this game..

How long did your guys match go. I would love to fire it up tonight but think I need to recoup the sleep I lost last night with hgplayer1.

Did you figure out how to do teams of 2 on 2?

No, we just did a lot of 1 on 1 the whole night. hg just couldn't get a break and I'd built forces real quick and take him over before he could fortify too much. The one time he had his Mordor fortress built he lasted a while, those firey catapults hurt. I'm gonna check out the guide at work tommorow and hopefully learn some more about the game.

Main question for now: how do you build up command points?

I'm considering trading in Condemned and DoA4 for this. My questions are: Is it worth it? If so, how much do you think I'll get for those two games?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
RoH said:
Heh we shall see.....

Hear the lamentation of the women...:lol

I am not very good at RTS games. When I say "I will learn", I did not specify how long it would take. But send me an invite if you or anyone else wants to play.

Sh0k

RevenantKioku said:

When I went to EB Games to get this game, I traded in Tomb Raider and Top Spin 2 and I got an extra $10. for trading in two games. I was surprised they gave me $17. for Top Spin 2.

I'm still learning to play the game but add me to your friends list, GT = Shokleeto

BuddyC

Finally snagged a copy last night and spent some time this afternoon playing around. I'm far from great, far far from it, but I'm getting better. Be interesting to see how things work out online.

GT: IcedPez

I played thought the first mission on the "good" side. Very impressed. They don't waste ANY time in giving you a lot of units to play with.

The controls definetly have a learning curve though. I'm looking forward to plaing this online...even though I'll get curbstomped.

I like to city build and then fortify......

Dr_Cogent

Banned
BuddyC said:
Finally snagged a copy last night and spent some time this afternoon playing around. I'm far from great, far far from it, but I'm getting better. Be interesting to see how things work out online.

GT: IcedPez

Noticed any framerate problems? Overall impressions?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Dr_Cogent said:
I played the turorials last night and found the framerate to be on par with other RTS games I have played. Not a deal breaker. The control scheme is very easy to get used to and I think practice will make it second hand. A good friend of mine has played it online and has found it to be quite stable and entertaining.

BuddyC,

If you want to play, I may be on after 930 EST. GT: Denogginizer OS

RevenantKioku

And then I find out when you trade in stuff you can get a 10% bouns to a reserve!!!! So when I traded in my 2 360 games yesterday I lost $5.70! Jerk!
Oh well, today I hocked a few more games, put a reserve on Dead Rising and this game is now sitting in my car.
Gamertag: Kojikun

BuddyC

Dr_Cogent said:
The first tutorial had massive framerate problems the first time it loaded. I got so frustrated that I up and quit, and when I came back later, there were oddly none to be found. Maybe it was in the process of creating a cache? And I ran into a bizarre bug at the end of the first tutorial as well, I definitely didn't built the walls like I was supposed to and the game refused to recognize my efforts until I'd destroyed some of the abomination. Of course, the second the Advanced tutorial loads up, it shows how the walls were supposed to look ....making me feel extra stupid.

I've played through two missions on the Good campaign so far. I'm getting more proficient with the controls, adding and sorting units, and after the end of the second mission, I'm feeling pretty good about giving specific orders to specific outfits. I need a lot more practice though, so I'll have to see what the next few missions bring.

My only complaint is that the game itself seems to be rather involved, and could really suck away a lot of time, especially in multiplayer. I have things I need to get done :(

DenogginizerOS said:
BuddyC,

If you want to play, I may be on after 930 EST. GT: Denogginizer OS
I'll shoot a request your way later today, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to do some night sessions until school settles down in a week or two. Especially given how involving the game can be.

Kingpen

I may be on tonight... I added most of the people in this thread as friend requests, so I'll look for some of you.

Tabs

Dr_Cogent said:
Like everyone else, I saw massive stuttering in the first tutorial, but as you look around it appears to cache the environment smoothing everything out. I saw very few hiccups through most of the good campaign. Scenario 6 on the Good side absolutely destroys the framerate, to the point where the gameplay suffers. It stops recognizing inputs from the controller unless you hold down the button or spam the presses until you get what you want. Really a bummer.

Other than that, I'm really enjoying the sinlge player game. I've always had a real distaste for RTS games, mainly because I like to think a little longer about what to do, and these games lack a pause button :p But for some reason I don't mind this game at all. It still has all the faults that I never liked about RTS games in the past. Maybe because it's on the 360, or maybe because I've finally opened my mind up to accepting them for what they are.

edit: I realize you weren't asking me specifically, but hey :)

Sugarman said:
Main question for now: how do you build up command points?
More buildings (more farms, mines, statues, etc.) will increase your max command points.

I haven't played online yet, but I suppose I'd be willing as long as it didn't take 5 hours. (Tag: Trav)

snatches

I've played the first four levels of the Good campaign, I am not great, but I'll try and get on tonight to try out the online mode:

hit me up with an invite:

Gamertag: snatchez

RevenantKioku

Just did the basic training, and it seems pretty basic RTS, but that's cool, I could go for something like this about now. I've gotta go do some shit, but I'll probably come back, do the advance training and be ready to lose in an online game. :D

arne

I'm in. I haven't played an RTS since Dune II/Dune 2k, but I kind of like this one. I've been pretty much only playing this since I got it.

Except for the d*@!n Blue Mountains good map, where I can't get the bonus objective with the fire drake lairs... I've cleared every single living thing from the map and I still don't have the objective and I need it to get the achievement and unlock a hero. Help!

But yeah, I like it quite a bit. I don't really see any framerate issues unless there's a ton of stuff happening or you move the map too fast... something I think is pretty standard on most PC games? Then again I haven't played one in a long long time.

TheDuce22

Banned
The more I play the more I like this game. I just had my second match, blew the shit out of his base with a berzerker after I laid a mine. I had so much extra money I summoned Saruman to finish off the rest of his army. Nothing like ****ing shit up with Sarumans abilities while he screams like a crazy person.

Sh0k

Is there a place where I can check what icon is for what race while selecting an skirmish game ? I've checked the manual but I can't find it. I'm practicing playing against the cpu but I have no idea what race I'm selecting. I love the Lord of the Rings movies, but not to the point that I know each race by just looking at each icon :)

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
Sh0k said:
Is there a place where I can check what icon is for what race while selecting an skirmish game ? I've checked the manual but I can't find it. I'm practicing playing against the cpu but I have no idea what race I'm selecting. I love the Lord of the Rings movies, but not to the point that I know each race by just looking at each icon :)

I think the order is: Random, Men, Elves, Dwarfs, Isengard, Mordor, Goblins.

I had a hell of a match against one of my really good friends last night. We were playing Helm's Deep. He was in the fort so he had the advantage right off the bat.

He wasted no time in flooding my camp with basic troops. Well, I was a step ahead of him. I had my own army of upgraded troops (granted I had less of them) and beat him back to his base.

I then built a LARGE army and took them to his door step to keep him occupied whil I built a second camp on the west of his walls. He didn't notice it.

Fortress, barracks, archery and a seige workshop is all I built. I built 6 trebuchets and took out 4 sections of his thick outer walls and then let the battle on 2 front begin. I flanked him and hit him HARD by capturing his outpost then destroying his main fortress.

He got squeezed from both sides. HE though he had the upper had due to the bottleneck at his gate. He never noticed my army comng from the west with 3 heroes leading the charge....

Baker

Banned
I am absolutely hopelessly addicted to this game. I had to call in "sick" yesterday because I couldn't stop playing it Monday night.

Gamertag: ForenSick

And I'm usually on after work and then 9pm-2am central time.

Tabs

I beat the good campaign last night. There were some truly epic moments in the last couple of stages. There was also even more epic slowdown. In some cases I could count each individual frame of a horse rider moving across the screen. This really kills the controls as button presses won't register. At least the game is almost completely automated, so my guys were taking care of business even if I lost control.

I saw BuddyC and Shokleeto on last night, but I had my sights set on completing the single player.

Kingpen

I'm still trying to figure out the CPU on skirmish mode. Man they put up a fight and really hand you your ass. I'm trying to tweak my strategy, so I can get past the initial wave that they send to you.

I start off with a few farms, and then some soldiers and archery units. Then I try to send them out to the enemies base as sacrifice. It helps to gain me a little time to get more resources going on my end. I just can't understand how the damn enemy gets so many resources so fast.

I wish there was a watch mode in the game so I could just watch their strategy.

I played 3 people online last night, not from GAF and all three of them quit after about 20 minutes....

This helps to emphasize getting something going over here so we can have drawn-out and complete battles...

Baker

Banned
Kingpen said:
This helps to emphasize getting something going over here so we can have drawn-out and complete battles...

There's a limit on "drawn out" though. I had one ****ing match a couple days ago that lasted over two hours and only ended because I finally quit.

The guy's play style was just to make you leave early.

Level: Black Gates

The guy never attacked once. He spent almost every resource on building THREE rows of walls across the Gates. Every other section had a trebuchet attachment. He then just put a line of catapults in front so all my siege attempts were 100% futile.

It seriously went on for over two hours, because I figured there had to be a way to break through the defenses (or then every xbox live **** would end up playing this way). I broke through one section of the first wall, that's it.

Anyone else run into this?

perplexcity said:
There's a limit on "drawn out" though. I had one ****ing match a couple days ago that lasted over two hours and only ended because I finally quit.

The guy never attacked once. He spent almost every resource on building THREE rows of walls across the Gates. Every other section had a trebuchet attachment. He then just put a line of catapults in front so all my siege attempts were 100% futile.

It seriously went on for over two hours, because I figured there had to be a way to break through the defenses (or then every xbox live **** would end up playing this way). I broke through one section of the first wall, that's it.

So basically you're pissed because he outsmarted you?

He fortified to prevent you from coming in, sounds like it worked prety well. There are ways to get through it, it's going to take a while though.

If he was smart though he'd have some troops at the ready when you come strorming in through the bottleneck.

Basically the guy had the one thing you lacked... patience.

If you play the guy again though... flood the shit out of him. He won't know how to react. He'll be so bogged up with building seige weapons that he'll have no defense. Just take some basic troops and **** his world up.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
perplexcity said:

There are plenty of ways to deal with that depending on what race you are, in fact his strategy is outright stupid if he wasted all his resources on fortifications with no troops.

Baker

Banned
Outcast2004 said:
So basically you're pissed because he outsmarted you?

He fortified to prevent you from coming in, sounds like it worked prety well. There are ways to get through it, it's going to take a while though.

If he was smart though he'd have some troops at the ready when you come strorming in through the bottleneck.

Basically the guy had the one thing you lacked... patience.

If you play the guy again though... flood the shit out of him. He won't know how to react. He'll be so bogged up with building seige weapons that he'll have no defense. Just take some basic troops and **** his world up.

He didn't outsmart me. He had no chance of attacking me, so he never could have won either. He was just being a dick and trying to make me quit. I've had over 10 losses, and this was the only one that made me bitch.

And yes, if I would have rushed in the beginning, it wouldn't have happened, but I didn't. I built up a nice, upgraded army, and ran straight into a wall. When I went back with siege weapons, he had already just built two more walls.

That "strategy" wouldn't have worked anywhere else except the Black Gates, since there was no place to flank.

Kingpen

Well, I can see your issue, but I don't sympathize with you at all. 2 hours isn't the top end of the patience game for LOTR. Me and hgplayer1 had a 5 hour game and it was a total blast and the time flew by. Despite me having 2 rows of walls around my fortress, he made pretty good attempts to make it into my camp and stir the pot.

I know not everyone has 5 hours to blow on a game, but that is what is so great about the 1p skirmish against the CPU, as you can save your game and come back....

perplexcity said:
He didn't outsmart me. He had no chance of attacking me, so he never could have won either. He was just being a dick and trying to make me quit. I've had over 10 losses, and this was the only one that made me bitch.

And yes, if I would have rushed in the beginning, it wouldn't have happened, but I didn't. I built up a nice, upgraded army, and ran straight into a wall. When I went back with siege weapons, he had already just built two more walls.

That "strategy" wouldn't have worked anywhere else except the Black Gates, since there was no place to flank.

He didn't even build a gate for his own troops? Ok, I take back my previous comments.

I was under the assumption that he was ammassing a few troops while you were trying to get through his walls.

But still on the other side of the coin, he did outsmart you to an extent. He just used a cheap tactic to do it. You were being toyed with. The way the resources work and constantly replenish just would have been a long cycle of futiliy.

I just bought the game today and still trying to get completely familiar with the controls, but I'm definately up for some online games. Let me know if anyone is up for any.

BuddyC

Man, the 6th mission in the Good campaign really kicked my ass last night. I'm not so good fighting on multiple fronts, not at all.
No matter how much of my army I left at the base, the catapults would always come around and mess stuff up. Meanwhile, the other chunk of my army was getting slaughtered trying to take down the enemy's stronghold that was manufacturing them. And then the evil version of the Storm Ships kept taking down whatever Warships I'd build for naval support.

Gah, overwhelmed! Any advice or hints that won't just walk me through the mission, but will actually help me to become a better player?
Guess I'll try and do a straight-rush at their base next time instead of going out of my way and taking out the Tavern first, maybe that'll cut back on the number of catapults that make their way down to my base.

And let's not even talk about Skirmish mode. Screw you CPU, rushing my base while I'm still establishing resources. My few warriors had little of a chance against your riders, and then you brought archers in to finish the job. Argh!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
That mission [6 on the Good campaign] isn't so bad.
Don't even bother touching the shipyards until you have built up a solid base with heavy defenses above the port, the real challenge of the mission is not the sea battles, but the multiple sieges on your base. Once you've got some walls and towers built on that western path(those sieges will become a cakewalk), then you can hit the open waters and 'activate' the enemy AI'.

In fact most every campaign mission works this way, the AI is scripted to turn on when you reach a certain radius or complete a certain mission objective. Unlike skirmish they don't play to win, and rarely ever act aggressive outside of scripting.

Just take your time and never progress unless prepared, the game allows you to do this.

Picked the game up last night, played through the two tutorial missions. They didn't do anything to really impress me, but they did hint at tons of potential for the game. I'm looking forward to getting into the campaign a bit, then jumping online to play with some of you guys.

BuddyC

Ack, I must have overlooked the ability to fortify my defenses in that one. Where do I get the builders to handle wall building? Or did I overlook a building that has the ability to do that?

BuddyC said:
Ack, I must have overlooked the ability to fortify my defenses in that one. Where do I get the builders to handle wall building? Or did I overlook a building that has the ability to do that?

You have to build wall hubs. The Wall hubs actally hold the ability to build the walls....

Kinda stupid if you ask me. It just adds an extra step.

Played online last night.... got stomped. Played the Rivendale map, managed to get one of the bridges blocked and gated up. The other bridge I wasn't able to do that to for some reason. My friend started the flood early and I managed to hold him off for a while while I was fortifying.

Small problem, the wall fortifications are pretty worthless if you are using Dwarves. He was also using Dwarves and they can take down buildings QUICK. He cut a few holes in the walls and killed my fortress then hunted down all my builders. The end was nigh.

Without any way to make new buildings I essentially bled to death. Every building he took just dropped my command points further and further. I the end I was down to one battalion that put up a hell of a fight...but wasn't enough to keep them off.

It took 2 and a half hours, but I had my first loss.

Karg

perplexcity said:

I'm almost positive on Black Gate in the upper left hand corner you have a way to get around the gate area. Take another look when you get a chance. I swore I saw an open path back there.

BuddyC

Outcast2004 said:
You have to build wall hubs. The Wall hubs actally hold the ability to build the walls....
Alright, but where do I get the ability to build wall hubs? I didn't notice any builders, and I didn't see a fortress that would allow me to build hubs around it either.

Top Bottom